Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. (5668 Views)

Nigeria Vs Ghana Military Power Comparison / See What Ghana Govt & People Do To Fulani Herdsmen / Buhari : See What Ghana President Told German Chancellor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:10am On Oct 17, 2018
Little is known about the Ghanaian military. Ghana is easily amongst one of Africa's most peaceful and politically stable countries, and has never really had to employ the use of her military, making the Ghanaian army one of the least combat experienced in Africa.

One look at the Ghanaian Army you see a country that,  although having limited financial resources takes the security of its people serious . One look at the Nigerian army and you see a country with unmatched financial and energy resources in Africa, but have an army that though unmatched in firepower visavis the region, is punching far below her weight. This despite a decade long security imperative and being one of Africa's biggest defense spenders, with billions of dollars in annual budgetary  allocation and an extra $1 billion in emergency funding to buy arms.

One would expect that a country wealthy enough to spend almost the entire defence budget of Ghana on just 12 Super Tucano aircraft, will at least have a well equipped army in the league of other equally big defend spenders like Algeria, Egypt, Morocco and South Africa. Sadly that is not the case.

The Ghanaian  Navy and Air Force is basically non-existent. The Ghanaian air force fields no fighter jet, neither does the Ghanaian Navy have frigates or corvettes, and with an active duty personnel of 13,500 men, the Ghanaian military is certainly among the smallest in the world.

But that's where the bad stuff ends.

While the Ghanaian Navy and Air Force might be nothing to write home about, the Ghanaian army is one of the most professional and best equiped in West Africa, and its easy to see why. Fundamentally its easier to kit a small army than a large one. Despite spending a paltry 2% of its GDP on defence, the Ghanaian army fields an impressive array of modern platforms, some of which cannot be found in the inventory of the Nigerian Army. It's not hyperboly.

Special Relationship

The Special Relationship between Ghana and Nigeria has been one of the most enduring alliances in Africa, until recently that is. Simmering tensions between West Africa's two greatest economic and military powers has raised doubts about the strength of the Nigeria-Ghana special relationship.

While Ghana is looking to befriend the West's economically, especially since the discovery of oil, its growing diplomatic clout has increasingly focused in recent years on managing its national rank and file independent of ECOWAS's periphery, and has taken the first step in becoming the only English-speaking nation in Africa to host a U.S military base. This move, not sanctioned by the ECOWAS Council could one day pose greater risk to Nigeria's interests in ECOWAS beyond.

The range and capabilities of foreign military bases in West Africa continues to grow, making the region one of the worlds most militarized, making a direct defense of Nigeria's interests in the region potentially more costly.

As these trends continue, Nigeria will find itself gradually pushed more toward the threat of horizontal or vertical escalation for deterrence. If President Buhari loses the upcoming election and a more hardline proactive President takes office, there will be an attendant risks of counter-escalation. Neither Nigeria nor Ghana is likely to start a shooting war. Transnational wars is basically going extinct. Besides neither country have the logistical asset necessary to carry out military operations far from home base.

But because Nigeria's leadership lack strategic depth, they have allowed the militarization of the region giving away Nigeria's strategic advantage . So even an initially localized conflict could quickly spread into the economic, cyber, and space realms, by the powers that be. They can inflict considerable damage and brining Nigeria to her kneel without even stepping a foot on Nigerian soil.

Unlike Ghana or Mali or Chad or Cameroon or Egypt, or Algeria....or basically any country with competent leaders, Nigeria does not have military allies with any country to back up its ambitions. In a region saturated with powers competing for influence and building permanent military facilities, Nigeria's far bigger navy or Air Force counts for nothing. The country will be pummeled into submission.

Also Nigeria far outspends the next 14 member states combined when it comes to defense. But there is hardly any corresponding assets on the ground. The Nigerian government has had ten years to build up a military powerful enough to provide some semblance of deterrence. Close relations with North Korea, China, Brazil and even Russia have made overtures to the Nigerian government on security cooperation. The offers were all rejected.

One advantage for Nigeria ? It's massive population. Nigeria counts roughly 200,000 active service members, and another 32,000 in reserves and 180,000 military police, or the largest ground force in sub-sahara Africa.

Let's take a look at some of the weapons system in the Ghanaian army arsenal.

https://defensenigeria.blog/2018/10/17/what-ghanas-military-look-like-compared-yo-nigeria/
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by jay2pee(m): 6:11am On Oct 17, 2018
Hmm
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by cooldipo(m): 6:13am On Oct 17, 2018
Hmmmm... Here we go again
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by daddytime(m): 6:19am On Oct 17, 2018
With the "look" in your topic I was hoping to see pictures of a side by side comparison of both countries army.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by hisgrace090: 6:20am On Oct 17, 2018
Nigerians over dubiouse nature is our doing.

The way nigerians pocket money meant for development for persona use is out of this world.

If we can change, we can develope.
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 17, 2018
daddytime:
With the "look" in your topic I was hoping to see pictures of a side by side comparison of both countries army.

Can't post all pics here. For pictures : https://defensenigeria.blog/2018/10/17/what-ghanas-military-look-like-compared-yo-nigeria/
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by adem30: 6:52am On Oct 17, 2018
If the kind of Boko Haram facing Nigeria face Ghana, Ghana would have be history by now.

3 Likes

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by luckyogor(m): 7:07am On Oct 17, 2018
Forget nigerian army,they are a ragtard bunch with uniforms and weapon's, their unprofessionalism is world class, their orientation is one of the worst on earth,they are best at planning coups(since independence till now),intimidating and murdering of un-armed citizens(independence till now_),they are very good in revenge attacks(shia sect murders,odi ) and very very sadistic in behaviours, they cant fight a major war with a country like egypt or south africa and win my people,believe me,we have one of the worst army on earth,bravery aint their strongest point or else they wont be abandoning posts or barracks anytime the enemy comes,they are a bunch of unemployed Coward's who went into the military seeking employment,and my prayer is that all of them that have at one time or the other intimidated,assaulted and murdered any innocent citizen,dies a wretched and humiliating death.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:09am On Oct 17, 2018
luckyogor:
Forget nigerian army,they are a ragtard bunch with uniforms and weapon's, their unprofessionalism is world class, their orientation is one of the worst on earth,they are best at planning coups(since independence till now),intimidating and murdering of un-armed citizens(independence till now_),they are very good in revenge attacks(shia sect murders,odi ) and very very sadistic in behaviours, they cant fight a major war with a country like egypt or south africa and win my people,believe me,we have one of the worst army on earth,bravery aint their strongest point or else they wont be abandoning posts or barracks anytime the enemy comes,they are a bunch of unemployed Coward's who went into the military seeking employment,and my prayer is that all of them that have at one time or the other intimidated,assaulted and murdered any innocent citizen,dies a wretched and humiliating death.

What is this one saying?

3 Likes

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by luckyogor(m): 7:50am On Oct 17, 2018
DDGN:

What is this one saying?
You read it nau or abi ti daf ni? Are u a werey ? Wetin u find come my post? Back off poo.
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by Kalapizim(m): 8:33am On Oct 17, 2018
na mumu this OP be walahi

2 Likes

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by MarijuanaLORD: 9:53am On Oct 17, 2018
F orget say naija na rubbish country
ghana na smallies for where we dey

1 Like

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by SarkinYarki: 10:02am On Oct 17, 2018
adem30:
If the kind of Boko Haram facing Nigeria face Ghana, Ghana would have be history by now.

Must you always spew your shallowness everywhere ...I pray for you to start having good judgement ..so you think a bunch of slippers wearing rag tag terrorist can defeat the well trained and better equipped Ghanaian Army ? Na lie
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by SarkinYarki: 10:03am On Oct 17, 2018
hijudowi:
Nigeria is still the best military in africa cool cool...

Alway talking without evidence , best military in terms of what ...nigerians and living in self Denial na 5 and 6
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by Daviddson(m): 10:17am On Oct 17, 2018
SarkinYarki:

Must you always spew your shallowness everywhere ...I pray for you to start having good judgement ..so you think a bunch of slippers wearing rag tag terrorist can defeat the well trained and better equipped Ghanaian Army ? Na lie
How does wearing slippers have anything to do with their ability to inflict damages? And where did you get your info that Ghanaian military are more equipped than their Nigerian counterparts? Thirdly, do you know the US have spent trillions of dollars fighting a similar ragtag group in Afghanistan within the past 17 years and they have not been able to defeat the terrorists?

1 Like

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by SarkinYarki: 10:24am On Oct 17, 2018
Daviddson:
How does wearing slippers have anything to do with their ability to inflict damages? And where did you get your info that Ghanaian military are more equipped than their Nigerian counterparts? Thirdly, do you know the US have spent trillions of dollars fighting a similar ragtag group in Afghanistan within the past 17 years and they have been able to defeat the terrorists?

I know the Nigerian military inside out because I grew up in it and did all my schooling in it and from the pics I saw of there alone I know the are more equipped and better trained than our military..i have watched a lot Boko haram offensive footages and I know they know nothing about warfare and it beats my imagination how such a poorly trained group of rag tag fighter that attack in the most predictable and haphazard manner can chase our soldiers out of their formation.... where is the US fighting insurgents that they are still standing ? Just because they leave pockets of insurgents to roam freely as part of a larger political plot doesn't mean they cant get rid of them

1 Like

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by Daviddson(m): 10:31am On Oct 17, 2018
SarkinYarki:

I know the Nigerian military inside out because I grew up in it and did all my schooling in it and from the pics I saw of there alone I know the are more equipped and better trained than our military..i have watched a lot Boko haram offensive footages and I know they know nothing about warfare and it beats my imagination how such a poorly trained group of rag tag fighter that attack in the most predictable and haphazard manner can chase our soldiers out of their formation.... where is the US fighting insurgents that they are still standing ? Just because they leave pockets of insurgents to roam freely as part of a larger political plot doesn't mean they cant get rid of them
If they could get rid of them, they would have done so. US is not omnipotent. They fought the Vietnam war for 18 years and later lost shamefully. BH of 2012-2014 seizing armored tankers and towns and parading them is no longer the BH of today. The hit and run tactic doesn't equate to their being powerful.

4 Likes

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by BornnAgainChild(f): 10:50am On Oct 17, 2018
There should have been pictures to compliment this post of yours abi how on earth do you want us to understand what you are trying to saying when there are no images

1 Like

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by sunofurib: 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2018
smiley smileyTurn Your Website Into a thriving Supermarket. Get A Premium E-commerce Website ….
For …N69,999 ( Original Value of N150,000 - Guaranteed that You Cant Get This Value Anywhere ELSE!)

If your business is not online in 2017, you would be swimming against the current.

With increasing need to tap from online opportunities, every businessman or woman is looking to have an online store where he or sell can sell their range of products and services.

According to PayPal, "Nigeria is the 3rd highest mobile shopper worldwide - only after China & India!"

That's massively huge because "Nigerian online shoppers have realized the world is their shopping mall and shop wherever and whenever using their mobile devices because they are generally sophisticated mobile users and this sophistication is aiding small businesses".

That is why your E-commerce Website development can’t afford to be handled by 'Web-Quacks’

What we will deploy for your E-commerce website:

• User-friendly interface
• Add, edit & delete products
• Create product categories & sub-categories
• Control item quantities & stock
• Powerful catalogue search options
• Account Registration & Login
• Securely sell documents and software
• Accept credit cards
• One year web hosting & domain name registration
• Unlimited email addresses
• SEO friendly web pages
• Free technical support for one month
• Free Online Marketing Campaign for 1 week
• Digital Media Marketing Consultancy
• DIY Image upload tutorials
• DIY blog training‎ FREE

Plus much more

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by Olachase(m): 7:05pm On Oct 17, 2018
I kw sure if this op get sense abi mk we give you gun male you go see how he take day be for war

1 Like

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by acenazt: 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
Rubbish post. Op is drunk shikena. Man wey get two children No go get problem for providing for them na. How many Ghana be sef,naija Active service men Will Crush Ghana even as they are under equipped and under trained as u said. 13k Soldiers and u r running mouth like Ashewo kpekus. I no blame u. Na dem Dasuki I blame
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by wizzzmike: 10:19pm On Oct 17, 2018
acenazt:
Rubbish post. Op is drunk shikena. Man wey get two children No go get problem for providing for them na. How many Ghana be sef,naija Active service men Will Crush Ghana even as they are under equipped and under trained as u said. 13k Soldiers and u r running mouth like Ashewo kpekus. I no blame u. Na dem Dasuki I blame

lol you're most funniest fool on this forum. Boko Haram a group of thousand people is killing your stupid soldiers like ants

2 Likes

Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by acenazt: 10:50pm On Oct 17, 2018
wizzzmike:

lol you're most funniest fool on this forum. Boko Haram a group of thousand people is killing your stupid soldiers like ants
blablabla let not start with insults n Scenarios here. I trust you are mature enough to know your insults show his immature you are kid. If BH r killing our soldiers the Ghanaian military can come to our aid let's see how well they fare.
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by OnyeOGA(m): 11:07pm On Oct 17, 2018
adem30:

is that what the zoo media told you?
Re: What Ghana's Military Look Like Compared Yo Nigeria. by wizzzmike: 1:24am On Oct 18, 2018
acenazt:
blablabla let not start with insults n Scenarios here. I trust you are mature enough to know your insults show his immature you are kid. If BH r killing our soldiers the Ghanaian military can come to our aid let's see how well they fare.

lol see him calling me kid. We use our money and army to fight who Boko Haram while we need to pull out 2.8millions out of poverty and your government has billions of dollars still can't do sh!t. We help people who can't help themselves.

(1) (Reply)

See How Arthur Eze Demolished House Of Best Aluminum CEO With Troop Of Policemen / See As Nigerians Replied President Mohammed Buhari On Twitter / Outrage Over Viral Video Of 19 Herders Killed In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.