Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,923 members, 7,952,717 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:14 PM

Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim (8338 Views)

An Ex-Governor Missed His Flight While Seeking VIP Treatment - Dankwambo / Peter Obi Booked Jet For A 95-Year-Old Man Who Missed His Flight (Video) / With This Campaign Council, Does Peter Obi Even Stand A Chance In The North? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by bilms(m): 12:06pm On Oct 23, 2018
Atiku missed his chance in 2007 says ANN Presidential candidate, Olawepo-Hashim

Journalist turned civil rights activist and politician, Mr. Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim was a prominent figure in the formation and early days of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. He left the party and the country just about the final crisis of the PDP in the Olusegun Obasanjo era to focus on his business cutting across oil and international investments.

The Kebbi State born Olawepo-Hashim was recently adopted as the presidential candidate of the Alliance for New Nigeria, ANN and also by the Olisa Agbakoba led Peoples Trust

In this interview, the presidential candidate speaks on his prospects, his prescriptions and his place in the brewing political battle for Nigeria.

Excerpts: What is your response to the emergence of Atiku Abubakar as the presidential candidate of the PDP?

By all standards, the Waziri of Adamawa is qualified to be the President of Nigeria. Having been Vice President before, but the 2019 election is a different election, I think Vice President Atiku missed his chance of being president in 2007 and talking about in 2019 is like talking about the future of Nigeria and at the same time facing and reasoning backward.

80% of Nigerians want to see a new direction, they don’t want to go backward, and Vice President Atiku Abubakar is a man of yesterday.

What competitive edge do you have over him going into this election?

Number one, I will be able to unite the country, I will be able to build a strong economy given my experience. I’m that candidate that majority of voters particularly first-time voters and who are very significant, almost about 15 million of them, who are not supporters of APC or PDP. And then, my friends in PDP and APC who have made up their mind that when it comes to presidential election ‘we will vote Gbenga,’ that’s an edge I have going for me. I believe, no other candidate in this election has that.

What are the basic ingredients of the alliance that ANN has forged with People’s Trust and other political parties as reported?

The People’s Trust, the PT is a party promoted by National Intervention Movement. The whole idea is to key in into the strategy of national intervention movement that promoted for almost one year running now. So this is not just any initiative, it’s just being consolidated and taken up some further steps. I think the issue is to build a stronger political platform that’s also committed to the idea of national unity, economic development, security in the land and to have a Nigeria where the life of every citizen will count and no discrimination against anyone regardless of your ethnic descent and religious beliefs and a true federal system, these are some of the issues that the platform is committed to. I think the alliance with the National Intervention Movement shows you that this is the natural platform that I belong to. The leader was the president of the Civil Liberty Organization while I was the national administrative secretary of the Committee for the Defense of Human Rights. In 1990 with me and some other patriotic Nigerians, some are late today; we travelled the whole of northern Nigeria consistently for about three weeks in a bus to get the consensus of our people on how to end military rule. I think most importantly for me, and my priority is to expand the GDP of Nigeria because this is the most important issue and the economy is too small for 180 million people. If you consider that even in 2013, when Nigeria made a lot of money from oil sales, the country made less than 50 billion dollars in total revenue, that same year Disneyworld a private company that markets entertainment in Florida made 47 billion dollars. So for 180 million people that revenue base is too small and its GDP of 510 billion even though it was celebrated as being the biggest in Africa as at 2013 equals to poverty, and that’s why you see that almost two-thirds of the country’s population still live below two dollars in a day. And that’s why you see that the life expectancy rate in Nigeria is 53 whereas, in Liberia that experienced civil war and Ebola on a max scale, their life expectancy rate is 61, Sudan is 63. We need to build a bigger economy, and the New Economic Development Programme (NEP) which we have planned will move Nigeria from 410 billion US dollars to 4 trillion dollars in ten years, and that will bring our average per capita income to be at par with countries like Malaysia, Thailand.

1 Like

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by bilms(m): 12:06pm On Oct 23, 2018
If it boils down to a choice of two, who’s the better devil between the APC and the PDP candidates?

Let me be clear; the next election will not be a bet between two Devils, we have passed that stage in 2015 where Nigerians were forced to make that choice. In 2015 I heard some people saying I just want Jonathan to go but can you honestly say that Nigeria is better now than 2015 in all the indices?

We have lately heard of issues and factions in the ANN. What happened?

Well you know once a party starts becoming relevant, then you will have lots of internal contestations. There was an attempt to have one convention where a candidate was supposed to have been produced with delegates from six states out of the 26 states where the ANN is presently constituted but at the end of the day the NEC took the appropriate decision to annul it and those involved have been punished according to the party constitution and at the convention of the party where we had about twenty states in attendance out of the 26 states where I was elected presidential candidate, a decision was also taken to fast-track the alliance discussion with other political parties like PT which also adopted me as their presidential candidate. Now we have about ten political parties also coming to the alliance, and I will be running as the flag bearer of the entire alliance of the political parties. For different reasons some of our supporters ended up in different political parties, some even in SDP.

Who were those responsible for the crisis in ANN?

I think the one in ANN came from the APC, some powerful elements in the APC who have presidential visions and who think that the APC platform will not be available for them post 2019 elections, and they want to see the ANN as a holding platform for their interest. One thing they wanted to do was to make sure that ANN didn’t have any nomination at all for any office, that was defeated by our members who have been patriotic and then the second attempt was this last sponsored crisis, but well that’s politics.

Are you ready for the Presidential debate?

Yes, I’m looking forward to the presidential debate with Alhaji Buhari and others who are presidential candidates of their various parties.

There are insinuations that Buhari will send Osinbajo to debate on his behalf?

I won’t debate with Osinbajo because he’s not the presidential candidate. Osinbajo will debate with my Vice presidential candidate.

But the youths you expect to vote for you in the other parties threw up septuagenarians in the persons of Buhari and Atiku. Were you disappointed?

You see the two major political parties have their problems; that’s perhaps why somebody like me didn’t run under them. I have a lot of friends in PDP. I left PDP in 2006. I have a lot of friends in APC too. I’m not against old people because they are old, that’s not the narrative here. Mandela was very old and advanced in age, and he was a good president because he had the legacy and history that recommended him to the whole world as a leader. Trump is 70, and the economy is doing well under President Trump. Even though you don’t like him, the economy of America is growing. So I’m not against anyone because you are young or old, and I’m not marketing myself as a young candidate, that’s not my selling point. The most important thing is the history, experience, competence that I bring to the table, so it’s not just a question of young versus old. You are not breaking any record by being young, yes we need young people but young people with content, history, experience. There’s some skill set that’s necessary, and I take exception to people who don’t want to have any experience, they want to start from the top, you don’t want to be councillor, chairman but your first shot in politics is to become president.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/10/atiku-missed-his-chance-in-2007-olawepo-hashim/
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by OMNIVIRUS(m): 12:08pm On Oct 23, 2018
Oga you opinion is noted

meanwhile many are Obidiently Atikulating

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by ican2020: 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2018
I thought this man is a presidential candidate, the bush man should focus on how to win 2019 election and leave Atiku alone

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by yarimo(m): 12:38pm On Oct 23, 2018
Not only in 2007 infact, he have missed his chance forever. grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by bilms(m): 12:43pm On Oct 23, 2018
Gohashim2019

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 23, 2018
Tell this a**hole that opportunity does not come once as he aboki teacher made him believe in primary school.

Tell him also that Atiku's best Chance was 2003 not 2007.

Another chance is now, because Nigerians have seen the need to be Atikulate.

12 Likes

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by bilms(m): 1:20pm On Oct 23, 2018
Atiku is a man of yesterday. 2019 is about the future. Gohashim2019 is the way

1 Like

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by TheAngry1: 1:24pm On Oct 23, 2018
ok
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Naijaguy12345(m): 1:24pm On Oct 23, 2018
cheesy

Atiku oleeeeeeeee

1 Like

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by solutionist: 1:24pm On Oct 23, 2018
We need new and vibrant politicians like him. However, I think it will be better for him in his campaign to focus more on what he plans to do to move Nigeria forward, rather than personal attacks on his co-contenders.

He seem to be making news these days more for criticizing his co-candidates.

5 Likes

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by safarigirl(f): 1:25pm On Oct 23, 2018
Who is this snail that wants to make himself relevant when we are talking about lions in the jungle?

If Buhari can be President after trying and failing three times, there is no reason why Atiku cannot be President after missing out in 2007

Olawepo-Hashim is obviously a noise maker and needs to go back to whatever day job he had before he started understudying Fayose and FFK. This work is not for him

8 Likes

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by QuickStandard: 1:28pm On Oct 23, 2018

This guy is beginning to sound like an asshole.

Why is he always attacking Atiku and not buhari?

What's really his motives.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 23, 2018
APC, ANN, SDP, et'al keep insulting and calling the PDP a corrupt political party. PDP is corrupt, no doubt. But how many people who are in other political parties today that weren't members of PDP?

98% of those in APC today were once PDP members. I only know of Buhari, Oshomole, Tinubu and his slaves who have never been in PDP. (There could be more)

Donald Duke, a presidential candidate under the platform of SDP was once in PDP.
Olawepo Hashim, a presidential candidate under the platform of ANN was once in PDP.
Sowore Omoyele is more of a Rebel than a leader. He should just continue with his activism.
My point? They are all the same!

Atiku == Corruption
Buhari== Bigotry and incompetence
Sowore== Rebel
Olawepo Hashim == Snitch
Donald Duke == What I don't know

Just vote for anyone who you feel can do better than the other person cos this country in 100 years time cannot get better than the way it is. The country is cursed!
That is why an average Nigerian is corrupt.
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Nollywood675: 1:29pm On Oct 23, 2018
DESIGN MAKES ANYTHING POSSIBLE

LET’S CREATE REMARKABLE VISUAL DESIGNS THAT SPEAK BOLDLY TO YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE

Your identity says a lot about you as an organization or brand. Strong brand recognition starts with engaging messaging and unique graphic representations that communicate your story to clients or audience. Whether you are developing a new brand or refreshing your existing identity, our branding professionals can deliver the brand image that is right for your organization or project

Whether the design is for print, online marketing or simply a corporate or business logo, we will create stunning, yet professional, simple and highly appealing creative concept that truly defines your brand or purpose at the MOST AFFORDABLE RATES YOU CAN EVER FIND IN THE MARKET!

GET STARTED NOW!

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Yopcity: 1:32pm On Oct 23, 2018
This is how Buhari intends to be re-elected:-

1. Massive vote buying (he has the money and many nigerians are hungry)
2. Strangle the opposition strongholds with massive deployment of army and police (to reduce tremendously opposition votes)
3. Force INEC to declare elections inconclusive wherever the above two does not work.
Una go see election bow, Una think say Buhari na Jonathan, on Nnamdi Kanu I stand !

1 Like

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by jammyunn(m): 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2018
QuickStandard:

This guy is beginning to sound like an asshole.

Why is he always attacking Atiku and not buhari?

What's really his motives.

he's indirectly campaigning for Buhari

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by emmasege: 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2018
Naijaguy12345:
cheesy

Atiku oleeeeeeeee
.Who's not Ole among the current crop of Nigerian politicians, from Buhari toTinubu and Atiku?

Your type are yet to come to terms with the fact that the 2019 election is not about 'Kwaruption fight', but about mental capacity, building bridges accross the divides and governance abilities and ideas. It's about a man who knows what goes on around him, speaks to us directly and not through his media aides, and most importantly, has policies that puts food on our tables. Buhari is devoid of all these attributes, and that's why many Nigerians are lending themselves brain and OBIdiently ATIKUlating and ATIKUlating OBIdiently.

Wouldn't you 'lend yourself brain' also?
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by VULCAN(m): 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2018
You are a wise man to see behind the smokescreen. grin

jammyunn:
he's indirectly campaigning for Buhari

1 Like

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by uriris: 1:39pm On Oct 23, 2018
This one is campaigning for Buhari
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Omakraid(f): 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2018
He's talking too much already
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by wigaw: 1:43pm On Oct 23, 2018
really
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Bjergtrolde: 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2018
bilms:
Atiku missed his chance in 2007 says ANN Presidential candidate, Olawepo-Hashim

Journalist turned civil rights activist and politician, Mr. Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim was a prominent figure in the formation and early days of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. He left the party and the country just about the final crisis of the PDP in the Olusegun Obasanjo era to focus on his business cutting across oil and international investments.

The Kebbi State born Olawepo-Hashim was recently adopted as the presidential candidate of the Alliance for New Nigeria, ANN and also by the Olisa Agbakoba led Peoples Trust

In this interview, the presidential candidate speaks on his prospects, his prescriptions and his place in the brewing political battle for Nigeria.

Excerpts: What is your response to the emergence of Atiku Abubakar as the presidential candidate of the PDP?

By all standards, the Waziri of Adamawa is qualified to be the President of Nigeria. Having been Vice President before, but the 2019 election is a different election, I think Vice President Atiku missed his chance of being president in 2007 and talking about in 2019 is like talking about the future of Nigeria and at the same time facing and reasoning backward.

80% of Nigerians want to see a new direction, they don’t want to go backward, and Vice President Atiku Abubakar is a man of yesterday.

What competitive edge do you have over him going into this election?

Number one, I will be able to unite the country, I will be able to build a strong economy given my experience. I’m that candidate that majority of voters particularly first-time voters and who are very significant, almost about 15 million of them, who are not supporters of APC or PDP. And then, my friends in PDP and APC who have made up their mind that when it comes to presidential election ‘we will vote Gbenga,’ that’s an edge I have going for me. I believe, no other candidate in this election has that.

What are the basic ingredients of the alliance that ANN has forged with People’s Trust and other political parties as reported?

The People’s Trust, the PT is a party promoted by National Intervention Movement. The whole idea is to key in into the strategy of national intervention movement that promoted for almost one year running now. So this is not just any initiative, it’s just being consolidated and taken up some further steps. I think the issue is to build a stronger political platform that’s also committed to the idea of national unity, economic development, security in the land and to have a Nigeria where the life of every citizen will count and no discrimination against anyone regardless of your ethnic descent and religious beliefs and a true federal system, these are some of the issues that the platform is committed to. I think the alliance with the National Intervention Movement shows you that this is the natural platform that I belong to. The leader was the president of the Civil Liberty Organization while I was the national administrative secretary of the Committee for the Defense of Human Rights. In 1990 with me and some other patriotic Nigerians, some are late today; we travelled the whole of northern Nigeria consistently for about three weeks in a bus to get the consensus of our people on how to end military rule. I think most importantly for me, and my priority is to expand the GDP of Nigeria because this is the most important issue and the economy is too small for 180 million people. If you consider that even in 2013, when Nigeria made a lot of money from oil sales, the country made less than 50 billion dollars in total revenue, that same year Disneyworld a private company that markets entertainment in Florida made 47 billion dollars. So for 180 million people that revenue base is too small and its GDP of 510 billion even though it was celebrated as being the biggest in Africa as at 2013 equals to poverty, and that’s why you see that almost two-thirds of the country’s population still live below two dollars in a day. And that’s why you see that the life expectancy rate in Nigeria is 53 whereas, in Liberia that experienced civil war and Ebola on a max scale, their life expectancy rate is 61, Sudan is 63. We need to build a bigger economy, and the New Economic Development Programme (NEP) which we have planned will move Nigeria from 410 billion US dollars to 4 trillion dollars in ten years, and that will bring our average per capita income to be at par with countries like Malaysia, Thailand.

Atiku this, Atiku that. Nothing on the incumbent. This show that this chap is working for APC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by osusuallstars: 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2018
THIS OLAWEPO SHOULD PLEASE STATE HIS IDEOLOGY AND HIS AGENDA FOR THIS CONTRAPTION AND FORGET ATIKU. I KNOW THAT HE WILL STEP DOWN FOR THE LIFELESS AFTER COLLECTING HIS MONEY.APC IS USING HIM HENCE HE HAS NO VISION
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by Praktikals(m): 1:56pm On Oct 23, 2018
We must Athiefkul8

1 Like

Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by jconsulting(f): 2:03pm On Oct 23, 2018
See another APC recruit
Re: Atiku Missed His Chance In 2007 Says ANN Presidential Candidate, Olawepo-hashim by jaxxy(m): 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2018
The Time Has Come.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Enugu Government: Why We Approved ₦30,000 Minimum Wage For Civil Servants / EFCC Arraigns 5 Sokoto Officials For ₦554 Million Pension Fraud / Yorubas Should Never Ever Refer To Northerners As Betrayers Ever Again(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.