Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,620 members, 7,770,654 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:35 PM

How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers (13819 Views)

Amaechi: Money Jonathan Left Behind Couldn’t Sustain Nigeria Three Weeks / Ogunderu: How We Carried Out The 1993 Nigerian Airways Hijack / Amaechi Reveals The Amount Of Money Jonathan Left In Government Coffers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Grayxme: 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2018
One afternoon in the late 1990s, Pat Isaac climbed to the roof top of a water tank on the premises of the defunct Nigerian Airways to check the tanks. As a staff of the department in charge of water supply, the check was a routine activity, he told PREMIUM TIMES.

But that afternoon, what was a routine check took a tragic turn and he missed his steps. Within seconds, he narrated, he came down crashing from the edge of the iron bars above which the tank was placed. He lost consciousness, with his face damaged and head turned backwards.

“That was the last thing I could remember,” he said, slowly, his head bent sideways. “I spent many, many months at the hospital and people felt I may not survive it. But I thank God I survived. It was an Indian doctor that treated me.”

Few years after the incident, Mr Isaac said, he retired from the services of the Nigerian Airways. But for more than a decade after his retirement, until the first week of October, the old retiree said he lamented and waited in vain without receiving his entitlement from an organisation he served diligently.

“It was harrowing,” he said of the experience. “We waited for many, many years. We were abandoned by the government. Many of our people have died; many have become weak and incapacitated. It is really sad we were treated that way. We thank God this government remembers us now.”

Mr Isaac’s situation is not an isolated case; it is one of many sad tales retirees of the defunct Nigerian Airways told PREMIUM TIMES on Monday. The retirees, who all filed out for verification ahead of payment of their outstanding entitlement, said they had lived through pains over the years as the government neglected them.

Alimi Kuye, a retiree, told PREMIUM TIMES he personally knew of about five of his colleagues who died due to their inability to pay for medical treatment in the periods they received no benefit from the government.

“Many people have died, as you can clearly see from what people are saying,” he said. “Many died from avoidable ailments; many have become paralysed because they couldn’t afford hospital bills and money for drugs. It is sad.”

Another retiree, who identified himself simply as Adigun, spoke of the government’s neglect of retirees in harsh words, lambasting past governments for their ‘nonchalant attitude’ to the plight of poor pensioners. He also commended the Nigerian government for addressing their plight.

“Our past leaders failed us. They abandoned us when we are helpless and have no strength again to work. It is sad. We thank the Buhari government for coming to our rescue.”

The Nigerian Airways came into being in 1958, and ceased operations in 2003 during the Obasanjo administration which ended in 2007.

The succeeding Yar’adua government paid some entitlements to some of the airline’s workers, while its successor — the Jonathan administration — did not.

Weeks ago, the Nigerian government announced its readiness to pay outstanding entitlements owed the Nigerian Airways pensioners. The payment will be effected after a verification conducted in three centres nationwide, supervised by officials of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC).
But the exercise which was initially scheduled to end on October 22 was later extended by one week following disruptions in the arrangement.

TEDIOUS EXERCISE
At the Airforce Base venue of the screening and verification in Lagos, PREMIUM TIMES observed that while many of the pensioners were all smiles in anticipation of the payment of their entitlements, others looked tired and worn out due to the rigour involved in the exercise.

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that the exercise begins with the pensioner obtaining a verification slip and a designated number, after which he could be eligible to receive the Presidential Initiative on Continuous Audit (PICA) form.

At the Lagos Airport verification centre, after collecting the PICA form, the pensioner moves ahead for signature at the side of the premises and after that, he goes for EFCC check. The EFCC check is to curtail fraudulent claims and confirm other account-related details, our correspondent gathered.

The pensioner would then be captured for record and accountability purposes, PREMIUM TIMES learnt, after which he could go home and await payment.

Since Friday, Mr Adigun told PREMIUM TIMES, he and other retirees have been shuttling the Airforce Base section of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, which is one of the three selected verification venues nationwide. He explained however that he had not successfully completed his verification.

“The process is not bad but the crowd is much,” he said. “The EFCC people work till late in the evening. Hopefully, by tomorrow (Tuesday) many would have been attended to. If you were here on Friday or Saturday, you would have no space to even stand.”

Sylvester Okorie, another Nigerian Airway ex-staff, told PREMIUM TIMES many of pensioners slept around the premises of the verification venue over the weekend because they could not afford transport fare to their various places on a daily basis.

Sylvester Okorie
“I live in Igando, Alimosho local government area. I slept here on Saturday through Sunday and now. If by the end of today, I am not able to complete and get to EFCC (verification unit), I will sleep till tomorrow,” he said.

He explained that he was not alone in the compound as many others, too, slept overnight to avoid Lagos traffic and get to the venue on time.

“I need about one thousand naira to get here from Igando. Where will I get that every day? Its’s better to just sleep here.

“In spite of that even, I got number 184 on the queue; my friend who came later got 271. Many people slept here last night. It is difficult but we thank God this government remember us.”

Mr Okorie worked for years as a police officer, he said in an interview with PREMIUM TIMES, and that accounted for why he was still strong and could withstand the rigour of the exercise.

He said, “I see many of our people being carried about and I thank God for (the nature of) my body system. I worked in the Police for years before joining Nigerian Airways and retiring there. Many of our people have to be taken around; the sight is pathetic. None of us deserves to suffer the way we were treated. We thank God now.”

Mr Okorie’s friend, also an ex-staff named Alex, said he came from Maza-Maza area of the city and could not afford to go back daily due to paucity of funds. “We are poor retirees; we can’t afford to be going and coming every day. That’s why it is important that this process is made easier and faster, even though they are trying.”

He also said that many pensioners had to be taken in ‘wheel chairs’ to come for verification, adding that the process is long because there are too many pensioners involved. He however praised the government and lambasted previous governments for their failure to come to their aid.

“Imagine how tired and weak our people are. These are people who served Nigeria. What message is the country passing to younger generations?” he asked, rhetorically.

Makeshift ‘Canteens’, photocopier operators spring up at verification centre

PREMIUM TIMES observed that as the verification exercise continued slowly on Monday, some traders devised ways to make quick money.

At the entrance of the verification centre, there are food sellers doing quick businesses as the exercise progressed. Many of the pensioners, PREMIUM TIMES observed, took turns to buy food and drinks from the traders.

Photocopier operators
Due to the nature of the exercise, PREMIUM TIMES learnt, there are also numerous photocopier machine operators in the building, ostensibly to attend to the concerns of pensioners.

“The traders have helped us a lot by their presence,” said Mr Adigun. “Many who couldn’t go home can eat here with the little they have left,” he added.

“Again due to the nature of what we are here to do, the photocopier operators too have been of help, We have to make copies of many documents and we can’t do that outside.”

Light at the end of tunnel?
According to Mr Isaac, while waiting for the payments for decades, many former workers of the airways survived on crumbs from relatives and children while those who had no such luxury have died.

“The last time we were paid was around 2008, when Yar’adua was president,” said Mr Okorie. “Since then we have received no payment from the government.”

“Anytime we had meeting and deliberation, they always announce that people have died; almost every week. With this payment, people will live fine now.”

A staff of PICA who spoke to PREMIUM TIMES at the Lagos verification unit on Monday but declined to have his name in print because he was not authorised to speak, said the pensioners would have their accounts credited before the end of the week.

“Although I understand they will get about 50 percent of their entitlements but payment will be effected after verification is done, latest before Friday,” he said.

“The exercise is moving and as you can see, the crowd has reduced drastically.

“By Wednesday or Thursday, despite the extension, we may not have anybody on ground again as they will likely have cleared everybody.

Tired, spent pensioners
“If you were here last Friday and Saturday, you’d understand what I mean. The exercise is smooth and everybody will smile later.”

Thankful, joyful pensioners
A few of the pensioners who have had their verification completed spoke glowingly of the federal government’s resolve to clear the backlog of entitlements.

A pensioner, Kunle Ajayi, said he had waited endlessly for the moment and thanked the Nigerian government for the initiative.

“The government has done well by paying us. I have completed my verification and I have been done the ‘capturing’. They said we will get alert by end of the week; we are grateful.

“Although the exercise may appear tough because of our ages, we still appreciate the government who remember us,” said Mr Adigun.

Pensioners await clearance
For Mr Okorie, both Presidents (Umaru) Yar’adua and Buhari deserve commendation for their resolve to pay the entitlements.

“Yar’adua is dead but he was the one who paid us before he died. (Goodluck) Jonathan was there for years and he never remembered us. He abandoned us,” said Mr Okorie.

“We remember Yar’adua and pray for him. We pray for Buhari who remembered us –– God will remember him too.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/291976-how-obasanjo-jonathan-left-us-to-suffer-ex-nigerian-airways-workers.html

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by MrsNwaAmaikpe(f): 2:34pm On Oct 23, 2018
shocked shocked

The narrator should quit lamenting and accept his fate. Suffering is one of life's condition and when it comes,everyone should embrace and forge on.
The holy book says one of the fruits of the spirit is long suffering.

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by sarrki(m): 2:34pm On Oct 23, 2018
Thank you Muhammadu Buhari

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Abidob(m): 2:39pm On Oct 23, 2018
And PMB came to their rescue. God bless PMB..

77 Likes 14 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by SingleWahala(f): 2:43pm On Oct 23, 2018
grin

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by buhariguy(m): 2:44pm On Oct 23, 2018
Thank God for the best president buhari.
"I felt bad when he was overthrow by the devil thief ibb.

64 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Babiboy: 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2018
Buhari is the way

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by chibike69: 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2018
grin
Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Eke40seven(m): 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2018
I feel or have seen that many Nigerian youths are cursed, short sighted and greedy. See our youths all over social media singing the praises of oppressors because of 30k... Around 75 euros per month!!!!

So just because of 75 euros which is approximately 2 euros per day, (something a homeless social rejects picking bottles on the streets of Europe will easily make in a few hours, you shamelessly sing the praises of people who took it upon themselves to DESTROY your future..

Is there no honour anymore? We need to travel a bit to see what youths in other countries are doing in politics. It's a shame to see these BMC crew wasting their future away in the name of "social media influencers"
I spit on your collective useleness.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by naijjaman(m): 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2018
shocked
Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Babiboy: 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2018
A true leader pay them

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Yomboy4ever(m): 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2018
And the old man is still writing letters everywhere like secondary school children. He Obasanjo who also tore his PDP membership card openly now ask Nigerians to vote PDP again!
.. Never again shall we tolerate this wicked people ..

People Who Destroy our Past Cannot Guarantee our Future"

- Sowore

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by SingleWahala(f): 2:47pm On Oct 23, 2018
grin grin..... Vote Baba ...............Nigeria go fly grin grin grin

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by flyca: 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2018
Always the same format...

1) BMC made an image laundering post.

2) BMC come reply itself, 7 times! In quick successions with various monikers. grin

3) Wow! Look below me, many BMCs have gathered now, reproducing many “happy” comments cheesy

I heard they are paid 5 naira per post, so they gotta outdo 100 posts per second to be able to buy gala and coke. Omo, this work no easy o. cheesy

Don't quote mw biko, I'm sleeping kiss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2018
Omo Buhari making this atikulation hard o

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Butterflyleo: 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2018
PDP and their thieving years can never be forgotten.

They rendered millions jobless and sat back and watched as the same people they rendered jobless died in their hundreds due to non payment of their entitlements.

PDP ( Prolific Destiny Pilferers )

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by BuyACar(f): 2:50pm On Oct 23, 2018
cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by emmie14: 2:50pm On Oct 23, 2018
Seriously APC doesn't have topic for discussion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2018
During PDP all we keep hearing is INITIATED INITIATED INITIATED... They will release money for project and contractor will take it and disappear after parting with kickback to the thieving PDP people....

But Buhari is COMPLETING INITIATED WORK, COMPLETING INITIATED WORK, COMPLETING INITIATED WORK.

Buhari till 2023...

Atiku will never smell that seat

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Sholaco: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2018
God punish obj, Jonathan plus mama piss including PDP.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2018
Propaganda by buhari.so he paid them off so they can de-market pdp abi?
Fumblers!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Butterflyleo: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2018
emmie14:
Seriously APC doesn't have topic for discussion.

Seriously PDP has nothing to offer.

Your principal Atiku has just been flown abroad on health grounds grin

Remember he said he would stop medical tourism? cheesy

I guess he lied again as the fraud he is

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by semyman: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2018
Only fools will want PDP back in charge of our national affairs again

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by hmabdool(m): 2:53pm On Oct 23, 2018
Enemies of d state will runaway from this thread...its sai Baba till 2023

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Butterflyleo: 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2018
nwanneni:
Propaganda by buhari.so he paid them off so they can de-market pdp abi?
Fumblers!

On the contrary he is actually cleaning up the 16 years Poo of PDP.

Why didn't they Pay off those they owed and demarket APC back in 2015 despite having the highest oil revenue in history

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Slurity(m): 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2018
God bless Buhari.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by emmie14: 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Seriously PDP has nothing to offer.

Your principal Atiku has just been flown abroad on health grounds grin

Remember he said he would stop medical tourism? cheesy

I guess he lied again as the fraud he is

Propaganda is old fashioned look for new strategies . Nigerians are wiser.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by Butterflyleo: 2:55pm On Oct 23, 2018
emmie14:

Propaganda is old fashioned look for new strategies . Nigerians are wiser.

I think you need to go and check the meaning of propaganda before you talk. Athiefkulators have been known to be brain dead

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers by abc115: 2:55pm On Oct 23, 2018
grin

27 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Father, Son & Almajiri Killed In Borno / Enugu’s Oil Status: My Biggest Joy Is That My Successor Will Excel - Ugwuanyi / 2023 Campaign: It’s Still A Four Horse Race - Jibrin Ibrahim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.