Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... (1163 Views)

3 Signs That It’s Time To Quit Your Job / A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay / Should I Quit The Job. Please Help I Am Lost? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Tweak2k: 7:06am On Oct 24, 2018
Hey good morning all.. Most people here are going to call me names... I don't mind anyway.

I want to quit the university to become a full time software developer. Am thinking of taking classes with NIIT or ApTech.. Maybe a 2 years course.. I know someone here must have had a pass experience or maybe current. please I need your advice on this one... THIS IS MY FUTURE. If you got any idea please share with me.

Please lalasticala move this to front page.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by madridguy(m): 7:12am On Oct 24, 2018
Don't quit the university. I believe you can manage the two with commitment and dedication.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Tweak2k: 7:19am On Oct 24, 2018
madridguy:
Don't quit the university. I believe you can manage the two with commitment and dedication.

Am not standing strong again. Don't want to waste my time

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by dkronicle(m): 7:37am On Oct 24, 2018
Tweak2k:

You already have a decision
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by amadiwati(m): 9:46am On Oct 24, 2018
Chase your dreams bro. It's okay to stop University, but don't stop developing yourself. later, you can go to university, perhaps open university. In our Nigerian space, you need that degree.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by novelbuks(m): 12:39pm On Oct 24, 2018
Nigerian universities are not important. I ask you: can you raise 5 million naira? You could go to your developer school, and then resume university/polytechnic in Canada again with that amount. Or if you are dogged could risk starting a business.If you quit, have plans of moving out later, we are too stereotyped to education in this country. As a software dev though, your project portfolio could give you a job even without a degree, anywhere in the world. Cheers.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Xxpress(m): 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2018
I know of someone who is a world class software developer that didn't attend any tertiary institution. Everything is about personal determination and discipline because the journey won't be easy and smooth.

You should also be mindful of where to learn programming. Most firms carries good names and offer little in return for the fees you will pay them

StayBless
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Tweak2k: 5:24pm On Oct 24, 2018
Xxpress:
I know of someone who is a world class software developer that didn't attend any tertiary institution. Everything is about personal determination and discipline because the journey won't be easy and smooth.

You should also be mindful of where to learn programming. Most firms carries good names and offer little in return for the fees you will pay them

StayBless

could you link me up with him... just wanna talk to him.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Xxpress(m): 5:29pm On Oct 24, 2018
Tweak2k:

could you link me up with him... just wanna talk to him.

Well, I will have to tell him first cos he is very busy. He works for one of the biggest tech company in Nigeria.

You can DM me
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Tweak2k: 5:44pm On Oct 24, 2018
Xxpress:

Well, I will have to tell him first cos he is very busy. He works for one of the biggest tech company in Nigeria.

You can DM me

thanks will to that.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 24, 2018
Tweak2k:

Thanks for sharing

It seems your mind is already made up.

What specific advice are you looking for? On the steps to take along your chosen path?
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Tweak2k: 6:25pm On Oct 24, 2018
alignacademy:

Thanks for sharing

It seems your mind is already made up.

What specific advice are you looking for? On the steps to take along your chosen path?

I haven't really made up my mind.

this is what I need. steps to take along your chosen path
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 02, 2018
Xxpress:

You can DM me

Please am also facing this same issue.

I was in Uni and also enrolled for NIIT software programming but after my first year in NIIT I quit because I notice I couldn't do well on both field ... economics and software programming isn't easy.

To cut the story short I didn't finish UNI and this software developing is my our target and have always been my target.

Kindly link me up with this expert... I wanna run the program and start a good life for myself ....

I will be more than happy to hear from you
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Hahjascho(m): 12:56am On Nov 03, 2018
What are the basic reasons pulling you out of University? Are you totally convinced?

I`m not making you to becoming so obsessed or confused with your decisions but You should know Environment plays a major role. A common (though factual) mentality of we Nigerians is citing foreign achievers like Bill gates, Dangote...without considering the limiting geographical and environmental factors surrounded with it ,not even this Country -Nigeria and that we are endowed to opportunities differently.

So, be efficiently convinced before making your long term decisions and also make a concise research from those with experiences who already followed exact routes.

But it might be good if you combine the 2.

Education (no matter the level) is Key.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by abdeiz(m): 1:33am On Nov 03, 2018
Op i wish i were in your shoes at your current level, i was so focused on school that isnt putting food on my table, it was when i finished service that i went fully into software development. If i had known what i know now back in school i would had dropped out asap.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by onyegwu(m): 9:17pm On Nov 04, 2018
Don't quit Ur studies at the University yet. U can combine both trust me I know what I am saying. Get a veteran/mentor who is feeding from his skills and not just those that come to brag. Don't waste ur money on those IT schools what they will teach u are fundamentals that u can get on YouTube and coding sites online. They can never make u become a software developer. Software development is personal development. You have to put in the works by ur self. Determine to combine ur studies and this together and u will see that u will make it. There are lot of free time in the University. Those times u take to play video games, chess and Scrabble convert them to coding times. Get a laptop if u don't have any hit the net and download videos from YouTube, visit sites like developers.mozilla.org, codecademy, w3schools. com OK! Then try and get a mentor for direction on what to learn next after every frame work you have learnt. Tech organizations in Nigeria still ask for first degree so don't get deceived OK! Those who said they would have quit already have theirs in both ends so don't be deceived OK! Your certificate is not just only to look for jobs there are many other things it can serve for u in the future. So my last words, get a mentor and don't get lazy about it. This is the time to put in the works and trust me in know distance time you will be glad u did.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Avast(m): 6:24am On Nov 05, 2018
onyegwu:
Don't quit Ur studies at the University yet. U can combine both trust me I know what I am saying. Get a veteran/mentor who is feeding from his skills and not just those that come to brag. Don't waste ur money on those IT schools what they will teach u are fundamentals that u can get on YouTube and coding sites online. They can never make u become a software developer. Software development is personal development. You have to put in the works by ur self. Determine to combine ur studies and this together and u will see that u will make it. There are lot of free time in the University. Those times u take to play video games, chess and Scrabble convert them to coding times. Get a laptop if u don't have any hit the net and download videos from YouTube, visit sites like developers.mozilla.org, codecademy, w3schools. com OK! Then try and get a mentor for direction on what to learn next after every frame work you have learnt. Tech organizations in Nigeria still ask for first degree so don't get deceived OK! Those who said they would have quit already have theirs in both ends so don't be deceived OK! Your certificate is not just only to look for jobs there are many other things it can serve for u in the future. So my last words, get a mentor and don't get lazy about it. This is the time to put in the works and trust me in know distance time you will be glad u did.

you are great......Mentor is the way forward, you can always combine the two. However, seriously I don't find joy in the Nigeria education but I still have to go to sch.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Chukwudaalu(m): 11:22am On Nov 05, 2018
onyegwu:
Well written.
@OP, no matter what, don't quit your university studies.
Re: I Want To Quit The University For A Software Dev School... by Troublemaker101(m): 1:43am On May 01, 2019
onyegwu:
pls do u have a good mentor that u can recommend?

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Youngest Lawyer In Africa And The Second Youngest In The World @ 18 / The New Fufu Pounding Machine / I Want A Career In Stockbroking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.