Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay (42615 Views)

Obstacle A Police Officer Must Cross Before Qualifying As Mobile Police Officer / AY Shiga: Incredible Transformation Of A Police Officer (Photos) / Dana Pharmaceutical Workers In Minna Protest Over Poor Working Conditions (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Ralpdee123: 8:09am On Jul 14, 2020
Good morning Nlanders,

I have been considering quitting my police job to find something more productive & profitable to do with my life as a result of poor pay & lack of promotion.....

I was enlisted into the NPF since year 2009 at 21yrs, I was single then with big aspiration that someday I will move to the top echelon. While in the job, I struggled to send myself to school and bagged my first degree and through to masters level.

But one thing I have noticed is that there is no upward movement within the NPF unlike the other armed forces and some paramilitary agencies that have internal promotional policies of upgrading their personnel based on academic qualification and merit.

The first and only time this ever happened was five years ago when it was widely reported across all news platforms that the NPF was ready to promote graduates within the force to ASPs, exam was conducted, I passed and was selected to go to Abuja for final interview. It was a rough road for me as it was my first time at the FHQ, Abuja. But after like a week, the process was suspended indefinitely. That was the first time I heard the term MERIT LIST VS NATIONAL INTEREST LIST...the Senators and Reps etcs wanted to replace the list with their candidates and they disagree amongst themselves so the process was cancelled.

I must confess my family is getting larger now and the pay I get can't feed us not to talk of paying school fees. I had to double my hustle with side biz to meet up....

Even the Police academy now turn out graduates ASPs every year who are now superiors after just a few years. So what about us with requisite qualification and experience, don't we deserve to be promoted...?

It is on this note that I want to call it quit and move on...

So I need advice in this regard... Should I call it quit or still hold on a bit...cos I don tire......?

NB: For those of you that will be saying yenyenyen shocked police likes twenty Naira.... I have never received bribe from anyone throughout my 11 years in the job. I am the kind of Police Officer that you would meet on duty and would love to be a police officer.... grin

Please professionals in the house.... Flood my thread with your wealth of experience abeg....

.... Help me do the needed for a wider view.... wink

260 Likes 14 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by hopeforcharles(m): 8:13am On Jul 14, 2020
If you quit, do you have any job or business at hand to sustain you?
If possible why not develop that your side hustle well to be able to sustain you then you quit, don't make a mistake of quitting without a back up

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by heykims(m): 8:17am On Jul 14, 2020
This is deep
I won't advice you quit ur job when u haven't secured another. Pay is poor for civil servants generally but I guess ur problem is u ain't even recognised as a graduate.
Since u have ur masters degree, I advise u seek a job in an higher institution. U can gain access to see any top official in any higher institution using ur uniform. See them, explain ur plight, present ur qualification and I'm sure u will secure a job after a few trials. Ur uniform should get u a job but ensure u secure a one before u call it quit with the NPF.
A bird at hand is twice that in the bush.

287 Likes 14 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by BigDick70inch(m): 8:27am On Jul 14, 2020
Okay aint gon talk bout dos 20 naira sir..maybe yo way above that..

How bout 50 nairas instead huh??do u also reject them huh??pls be truthful.. cheesy
Cos..that is more common dan collecting 20 naira.. wink

Ralpdee123:
Good morning Nlanders,

I have been considering quitting my police job to find something more productive & profitable to do with my life as a result of poor pay & lack of promotion.....

I was enlisted into the NPF since year 2009 at 21yrs, I was single then with big aspiration that someday I will move to the top echelon. While in the job, I struggled to send myself to school and bagged my first degree and through to masters level.

But one thing I have noticed is that there is no upward movement within the NPF unlike the other armed forces and some paramilitary agencies that have internal promotional policies of upgrading their personnel based on academic qualification and merit.

The first and only time this ever happened was five years ago when it was widely reported across all news platforms that the NPF was ready to promote graduates within the force to ASPs, exam was conducted, I passed and was selected to go to Abuja for final interview. It was a rough road for me as it was my first time at the FHQ, Abuja. But after like a week, the process was suspended indefinitely. That was the first time I heard the term MERIT LIST VS NATIONAL INTEREST LIST...the Senators and Reps etcs wanted to replace the list with their candidates and they disagree amongst themselves so the process was cancelled.

I must confess my family is getting larger now and the pay I get can't feed us not to talk of paying school fees. I had to double my hustle with side biz to meet up....

Even the Police academy now turn out graduates ASPs every year who are now superiors after just a few years. So what about us with requisite qualification and experience, don't we deserve to be promoted...?

It is on this note that I want to call it quit and move on...

So I need advice is this regard... Should I call it quit or still hold on a bit...cos I don tire......

NB: For those of you that will be saying yenyenyen shocked police likes twenty Naira.... I have never received bribe from anyone throughout my 11 years in the job. I am the kind of Police Officer that you would meet on duty and would love to be a police officer.... grin

Please professionals in the house.... Flood my thread with your wealth of experience abeg....

@uncle Lalasticlala.... Help me do the needed for a wider view.... wink

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 14, 2020
You are very sound in English, and you seem to me like a good police officer(but sorry, No good police officer in Naija)

If you quit, what exactly do you want to be doing aside your business? Government job is the only job that gives the chance of building businesses and monitoring them well. Please do not resign. Just concentrate more on building your business and continue to pray for promotion, whilst putting in your best in the force.

Maybe if they help you push to front page and your Superiors see this, they might consider promoting you.

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 14, 2020
BigDick70inch:
Okay aint gon talk bout dos 20 naira sir..maybe yo way above that..

How bout 50 nairas instead huh??do u also reject them huh??pls be truthful.. cheesy

You had to quote every, just to mock him!

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Luckydubby7(m): 8:56am On Jul 14, 2020
Don't quit rather source for more capital for your business. U can run your business with less intimidation as a police officer in Nigeria. Ask police officers that drive bus in Lagos.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Ralpdee123: 9:41am On Jul 14, 2020
OcVoice:
You are very sound in English, and you seem to me like a good police officer(but sorry, No good police officer in Naija)

If you quit, what exactly do you want to be doing aside your business? Government job is the only job that gives the chance of building businesses and monitoring them well. Please do not resign. Just concentrate more on building your business and continue to pray for promotion, whilst putting in your best in the force.

Maybe if they help you push to front page and your Superiors see this, they might consider promoting you.

@OC Voice...

Thank you very much. I am more than grateful for the words of encouragement.

I'll keep pushing...

21 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Ralpdee123: 9:43am On Jul 14, 2020
Luckydubby7:
Don't quit rather source for more capital for your business. U can run your business with less intimidation as a police officer in Nigeria. Ask police officers that drive bus in Lagos.

@Luckydubby7....

You made a valid point of telling me not to quit.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by ChizzyBuna(m): 10:47am On Jul 14, 2020
Your Mates Dey Collect Bribe For Road
You Dey Here dey complain angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Freshfish4: 10:47am On Jul 14, 2020
Their Ogas embezzle money meant for them while they suffer and vent their anger on the masses. First step to reform the Nigerian police is to increase their salary and welfare. How do they expect a police officer with family on a 60k salary with over 5 years in the force to survive on that and not to look for other means of getting money illegally.

5 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by sleek214(m): 10:48am On Jul 14, 2020
Another person is looking for same opportunity

5 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Veeque(m): 10:48am On Jul 14, 2020
Lol.
After 11 years? Do you have the necessary connection?
Think very well! Don't jump out of your current boat of 'small pay' into the ocean of unemployment with the hopes of boarding a Ship of 'big pay'. Y'all(you and your family) might just drown in poverty.

Get the connection, job and sever ties with the Force. If not, be contented with what you have. The Labour market and economy are hard already. Don't add more misery to them and yourself.

6 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by ebujany(m): 10:48am On Jul 14, 2020
Bros, keep the faith..one day you will be promoted

2 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by ForeThinker: 10:48am On Jul 14, 2020
He's blunt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by milkyworld(m): 10:48am On Jul 14, 2020
Tough times don't last. Tough people do...

2 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by solmus: 10:48am On Jul 14, 2020
Nepotism spoilt everything

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by toxxnoni(m): 10:49am On Jul 14, 2020
Ok
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Jung(m): 10:49am On Jul 14, 2020
BigDick70inch:
[b]Okay aint gon talk bout dos 20 naira sir..maybe yo way above that..

You're daft beyond measure grin

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by lekki1444: 10:49am On Jul 14, 2020
sadpeople no drop egunje during coro season
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Onebyonedead: 10:49am On Jul 14, 2020
You are a public servant you should not come here and say all this that is not acceptable ..... please get out of here lazy ekelebe ......yeye man

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by oz4real83(m): 10:49am On Jul 14, 2020
Which part of the country are u from? If u are not from the north, forget anything called continuous promotion in any of the security agencies. Promotion is still going on in the NPF, Kyari was even promoted recently. Northerners help their fellow northerners to get to higher positions while other regions treat people of their own regions as if they either don't exist or as trash.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by GboyegaD(m): 10:49am On Jul 14, 2020
Much better than heaping curses on yourself through the bribes you might later have to resort to augment your take home with.

Start applying for jobs in private establishments and put your work experience in the force. Something better will surely come your way since you have the experience and requisite education.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by elohim24: 10:50am On Jul 14, 2020
You are not alone in this predicament, I was underemployed as a graduate in 2011 in a sister agency with yours and we were told you can't be promoted based on your pre-entry qualification. I have my masters degree now and I've been waiting for upgrading. My take home can't even fuel my car but God has been kind to me through my side hustle ( I'm an engineer). I've written my resignation letter twice but something kept holding it back, it is demoralizing to see kids that were in secondary school when you came in become your senior in the service. Keep your eye on the goal. I will eventually leave once I get to pensionable service years but I must not leave out of frustruation. You shouldn't resign just yet because there are lot of benefits attached to that uniform. Get your promotion and package yourself. It will end in praise

64 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Hotzone(m): 10:50am On Jul 14, 2020
No quitting, finish what u started
Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 14, 2020
Bro,let me tell you the truth; no Nigerian job is easy oh especially federal & state govt jobs.

To even get there is based on merit and connection.

Please,hold on to the little you have now and plan for your retirement.

Also, learn digital skills and earn online to support your monthly pay.

Lots of Nigerians are looking to be where you are now but they ain't cos they have no one to assist them into the force.

Everything in Nigeria is gotten via connection and so you should you you need a higher force to help you get to the top in your career.

Ads:

Check me out on www.fiverr.com/nelpeterson and place you'd oder.

3 Likes

Re: A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay by EyezofGod120: 10:51am On Jul 14, 2020
cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

She Doesn’t Do Hookup – Man Shares Video Of A Woman Driving A Truck (Pix, Video) / 5 Occupations That Make Most Married Women Cheat / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.