Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,899 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly (52013 Views)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 26, 2018
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by teelaw4life(m): 8:19am On Oct 26, 2018
"Peruse" is correct when used in manner described as the correct usage by the op and when used in the manner described as incorrect.

Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by uuzba(m): 8:27am On Oct 26, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
The word, "duh" doesn't exist in English Language.

"Sorry" is misused by a lot of youth, even corps members and graduates alike.

Imagine, one day, I was standing in the
an ATM queue waiting for my turn to make withdrawal and one Corps member asked me, "sorry who is the last person?", I retorted, " Why are you sorry? You haven't wronged me" and "I am not the last person".

I went on to tell her that she should have said, " Excuse me, who is the last person in the queue?"

The "Sorry" that they used originates from the British culture of being excessively polite. It is short for, "Sorry to bother or distract you from your thinking or contemplation" can you tell me etc.... British people are always quiet, calculating and think and solving one problem in their mind. So tell them sorry for breaking their thinking process before asking your question.

A person whom you think is so smart and wise, you say "Sorry" could i etc...
A person whom you think has empty dunce head no thinking going on inside the brain, you say, "Excuse me,, blah,blah". Since he kukuma just blocking the oxygen that you are breathing.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Transformium: 8:28am On Oct 26, 2018

Bemused and Ambivalent are the only ones I totally agree with. The others actually have more than one meaning

Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by emperorblog(m): 8:29am On Oct 26, 2018
i cant wait to get married, so that when my dad call me. i will just tell him chief epemi pada mondo iyawo mi lowo
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Xkalaban(m): 8:29am On Oct 26, 2018
Good to know op
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by femi4: 8:43am On Oct 26, 2018
emperorblog:
i cant wait to get married, so that when my dad call me. i will just tell him chief epemi pada mondo iyawo mi lowo
Obo to ma do, to ma su e
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by sarcasticdude(m): 8:44am On Oct 26, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Biko let me practice what you taught.

I was bemused when Atiku expressed his interest to contest.
Mostly because the name Atiku in Nigeria almost literally meant corruption and that the streets had a terrific impression of him.
But as an apostle of truth; I decided to be a disinterested party in this media trial and peruse the facts presented by his traducers.

After doing this, I am happy to declare that my ambivalence about his victory is now changed.
I am certain that Atiku will send Buhari back to Daura regardless of whatever fight BMCs and zombies put up.

Sai Atiku 2019
The man for the job.

Bravo
#respect

2 Likes

Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Hoodbilonia: 8:44am On Oct 26, 2018
go and read
i've read
why is it not red
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by JuanDeDios: 8:48am On Oct 26, 2018
excelAGR42:
Terrific

This word is one of the words in the English language that has become completely disconnected from its origin. A lot of the time, it is used as a compliment or to describe a good feeling: “That outfit looks terrific!” or “I slept great and feel terrific today!”
However, the origin and proper meaning of the word is completely different, and means “very bad” or “exciting fear”. You might hear something like, “I just saw a terrific accident on my way home from work,” which would unfortunately sound strange in modern language.
Yes, the meaning has changed. Happens all the time - language is like that. Using it to mean "great" or "very good" is now correct.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Reinah(f): 8:51am On Oct 26, 2018
Nice list.. They will come and say "This is Nigeria" now.

The way people use Literally, Basically and Technically eh, grin Most times, it is just to add some "swag" to their speech. grin
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by BetterWorld100: 8:54am On Oct 26, 2018
We have an equipped office space to lease out, off Aminu Kano Crescent, Wuse II, Abuja for N1.6million. Any successful referral will be rewarded. For more info. call 08020889369
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Splasshhh(f): 8:58am On Oct 26, 2018
shocked
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by orissmonde: 9:11am On Oct 26, 2018
The most common word I know being misused especially in Yoruba Nollywood movies and especially by actresses is "anyway"
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Topmaike007(m): 9:12am On Oct 26, 2018
Oyibo cannot kill someone with change every time that is why I like my language never change it has been like that before I was born and will continue to be amen
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by amnesty7: 9:15am On Oct 26, 2018
I don't believe your explanation about 'terrific'. Henry Winter is one of the best journalists in England and writes for the Times of London, and he uses it exactly the way you say is wrong.
I'd rather go with him.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by ekestic1976(f): 9:32am On Oct 26, 2018
Terrific: It means President Trump is way behind in English language usage. He uses terrific a lot. Check it out.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Shafiiimran99: 9:34am On Oct 26, 2018
Even Queen Elizabeth has many problems with English language so, what are you trying to tell us?
The point is, both meaning are correct for those worlds except #literally and #Irregardless
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by steve6: 9:36am On Oct 26, 2018
Nice.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 26, 2018
Beremx:
The word Terrific is the most confused confusing . I always thought it's something that means to be scared, not until I hear people say "have a terrific day "
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by beaman: 9:49am On Oct 26, 2018
Good to know, thanks
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Ryocaj(m): 9:52am On Oct 26, 2018
U got d disinterested partially wrong. it also means uninterested.
Disinterested means: Having no stake or interest in the outcome; free of bias, impartial,  Uninterested, lacking interest.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Toni19: 10:11am On Oct 26, 2018
Listen to yourself...how can one word mean good or bad feeling? terrific is usually used to describe a good and fine situation which is wrong.
That you look teriffic in that dress deos not really mean you look beautiful..you can see a terific accident, a terrific thunderstorm...terrific movie and so on...simply use you look amazing in that dress instead of confusing your grammar. terrific situation can never be a fine situation.
femi4:
You are wrong about "Terrific". It can be either good or bad feeling

Definition of terrific. 1 : unusually fine : magnificent terrific weather. 2 : extraordinary terrific speed. 3a : exciting or fit to excite fear or awe a terrific thunderstorm. b : very bad : frightful.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by emperorblog(m): 10:22am On Oct 26, 2018
femi4:
Obo to ma do, to ma su e

abi nah
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by femi4: 10:48am On Oct 26, 2018
Toni19:
Listen to yourself...how can one word mean good or bad feeling? terrific is usually used to describe a good and fine situation which is wrong.
That you look teriffic in that dress deos not really mean you look beautiful..you can see a terific accident, a terrific thunderstorm...terrific movie and so on...simply use you look amazing in that dress instead of confusing your grammar. terrific situation can never be a fine situation.
Go and argue with dictionary and if you see " The goal was terrific " in an exam, you can choose ugly etc its synonyms and let's see if you won't fail woefully
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by aadoiza: 11:12am On Oct 26, 2018
charlsecy:
Not true. While disinterested could apply to objectivity of judgement, it could also mean not interested. Those who use disinterested to mean not interested are NOT wrong.

You're right, my good friend. However, grammar fusspots would find the second meaning an abject ridicule and painful to their hearing.

Moreover, you can't find the second meaning in older dictionaries.And the OP probably put forward the second definition as a result. As the saying goes : when it comes to dictionaries the older the better.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by aadoiza: 11:27am On Oct 26, 2018
Toni19:
You are wrong. There are other words in English with contrasting meanings. I can only think of one at the moment: sanction.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by SexExpert(m): 11:47am On Oct 26, 2018
Words and languages evolve. They are not stagnant.
Besides, some words have several meanings.

The word "terrific" is one of those words.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by mikepal: 11:48am On Oct 26, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
The word, "duh" doesn't exist in English Language.

"Sorry" is misused by a lot of youth, even corps members and graduates alike.

Imagine, one day, I was standing in the
ATM queue waiting for my turn to make withdrawal and one Corps member asked me, "sorry who is the last person?", I retorted, " Why are you sorry? You haven't wronged me" and "I am not the last person".

I went on to tell her that she should have said, " Excuse me, who is the last person in the queue?"
Every Nigerian has a default factory fitted anger so u have to naturally apologize before talking to them
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Nobody: 11:52am On Oct 26, 2018
mikepal:
Every Nigerian has a default factory fitted anger so u have to naturally apologize before talking to them

cheesy Especially in this Buhari era.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by naijajobx: 12:26pm On Oct 26, 2018
smiley
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by spiritedtete: 12:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
I have never Used any of those words wrongly... They are simple and straight when "inserting it" in a sentence.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekiti State University Reading Partners Get Married Five Years Later (Photos) / Condom Vending Machines In South African Schools To Fight HIV, Pregnancies (Pix) / Police Seal Off Dowen College (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.