Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly (52009 Views)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Blackfire(m): 12:45pm On Oct 26, 2018
What of the word...

Buhari
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by ozoneymcm: 12:46pm On Oct 26, 2018
phemsie:
Ambivalent, i don't even know the meaning before now, so i'm not using it wrongly, for the ones i know, i know what they mean so I'm using them correctly.

Thanks anyway
I guess this response applies to everybody. OP please delete this post if it's possible
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by emydnoble(m): 12:53pm On Oct 26, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Biko let me practice what you taught.

I was bemused when Atiku expressed his interest to contest.
Mostly because the name Atiku in Nigeria almost literally meant corruption and that the streets had a terrific impression of him.
But as an apostle of truth; I decided to be a disinterested party in this media trial and peruse the facts presented by his traducers.

After doing this, I am happy to declare that my ambivalence about his victory is now changed.
I am certain that Atiku will send Buhari back to Daura regardless of whatever fight BMCs and zombies put up.

Sai Atiku 2019
The man for the job.
You are so smart! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Adefemiaderoju1: 1:43pm On Oct 26, 2018
Nice one but who English epp?
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Freeko4: 2:39pm On Oct 26, 2018
Nice one
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by rhektor(m): 2:41pm On Oct 26, 2018
Offpoint:
If I say my mind now, they'll all attack me with the "English is a Universal Language" line.

If I ask you the Yoruba or igbo word for "peruse" 99.99% will start blabbing.

Yorùbá = farabalẹ̀ grin grin grin

Ask for another one
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Yoighaman(m): 5:04pm On Oct 26, 2018
excelAGR42:
The English language can be somewhat confusing at times, especially when you fail to update yourself on the meanings of words regularly.

If you have ever heard someone say, “I was literally scared to death?”, that’s impossible simply because the dead can’t talk. Here are seven more English words you probably have been using wrong.

Disinterested

The word “disinterested” is another misunderstood word in the English language. While many people believe that the word means that you’re simply not interested, the original meaning of “disinterested” refers to a lack of bias or being fair and impartial: “We needed a disinterested judge to decide this case.” To indicate that you’re indifferent about something, you should use the word “uninterested.”

Bemused

People sometimes use the word “bemused” in place of “amused,” but the two words are not synonyms. Bemused means that you’re confused or bewildered.

Literally

The word “literally” is literally one of the most misused words in the English language. This word is often used as a way to emphasize something that happened: “I literally died laughing.”
The word refers to something that actually happened, without exaggeration, such as, “The tornado that came through literally destroyed every house in its path.”

Peruse

A lot of people believe that the word “peruse” means to read something quickly. As a matter of fact, the opposite of this is true. Peruse means to “read with thoroughness or care.” Used correctly, you would say, “I spent at least an hour perusing my notes so that I fully understood it.”

Terrific

This word is one of the words in the English language that has become completely disconnected from its origin. A lot of the time, it is used as a compliment or to describe a good feeling: “That outfit looks terrific!” or “I slept great and feel terrific today!”
However, the origin and proper meaning of the word is completely different, and means “very bad” or “exciting fear”. You might hear something like, “I just saw a terrific accident on my way home from work,” which would unfortunately sound strange in modern language.

Ambivalent

Most people think that the term ambivalent means that you don’t care about something. The word however means that you have contradictory or mixed feelings about a subject matter—not that you’re apathetic.
Used correctly, you could say, “I’m feeling quite ambivalent about where I want to work after graduation this year. I can’t decide whether I should work with a company or start a private business.”

Irregardless

While this word is popular in certain dialects, “irregardless” simply doesn’t exist in the English language. The word that you’re looking for is “regardless.” For example, “Regardless of the cost, they said they’re going to have a society wedding.”

Thanks for sharing....the 'terrific' though.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by ynglukas(m): 5:05pm On Oct 26, 2018
orissmonde:
The most common word I know being misused especially in Yoruba Nollywood movies and especially by actresses is "anyway"
yeah, actually I'm perturbed about that to as in the use of anyway/anyways
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Yoighaman(m): 5:13pm On Oct 26, 2018
ynglukas:
yeah, actually I'm perturbed about that to as in the use of anyway/anyways

'Anyways' is just a slang and cannot be used formally, 'Anyway' is the correct word.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Austinoiz(m): 7:04pm On Oct 26, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
The word, "duh" doesn't exist in English Language.

"Sorry" is misused by a lot of youth, even corps members and graduates alike.

Imagine, one day, I was standing in the
ATM queue waiting for my turn to make withdrawal and one Corps member asked me, "sorry who is the last person?", I retorted, " Why are you sorry? You haven't wronged me" and "I am not the last person".

I went on to tell her that she should have said, " Excuse me, who is the last person in the queue?"

Correction fluid, it's obvious you did that because its a 'she'; had it been a fellow guy, I'm sure you won't u've sold your intelligent 'credentials' to him.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 26, 2018
Austinoiz:

Correction fluid, it's obvious you did that because its a 'she'; had it been a fellow guy, I'm sure you won't u've sold your intelligent 'credentials' to him.

Not really. As I just shared it here, other people have learnt one thing or two.
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by paulynpen(m): 8:40am On Oct 27, 2018
You are wrong about number 1
Re: Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly by Mryacks: 4:55pm On Oct 27, 2018
Good info

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekiti State University Reading Partners Get Married Five Years Later (Photos) / Gift Agenoisa: JSS1 Student Sued Ekiti Government for N15M / Police Seal Off Dowen College (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.