Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,232 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU (2714 Views)

How ABU Zaria Students Failed In The Dept. Of Computer Science / 215 Bag First Class As Covenant University Graduates 1,580 / 161 students bag first class from Nigerian Law School — highest ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by KEVIND: 8:41pm On Oct 25, 2018
Ahmadu Bello University, ABU is one of the foremost educational higher institutions in Nigeria.
It is a school with rich history, facilities and respectable alumni.
Currently, ABU is the best university in the country and only the best graduating student of the school was recently awarded a scholarship by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC while others were ignored.

This school has produced many professional, governors and a president. The late Umar Musa Yaradua was an alumnus of the school.
However, the rich profile of this university is not in consonance with the profile of some departments and their courses in the school.

These departments are infamous for not producing first class students because the lecturers always tell them it is near impossible possible to graduate with distinction.
So, if you want to study any of these courses and you are determined to graduate with first class, Ahmadu Bello University might not be the right choice for you.

Art and Social Science:

This department according to a student simply identified as Austin usually prepares the minds of new intakes that it is not possible to have first class in Ahmadu Bello University. And if you work hard to finish with first class, just be ready to accept your second class upper because the rule here is it is not possible to graduate with a distinction.
In other words, first class is a no-go area for Art and Social Science students at Ahmadu Bello University.

Quantity Surveying:

The story about the dearth of first class graduates in the Department of Quantity Surveying in ABU is a popular one. Almost all the students in the school know that the governor of Kaduna state, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai is the last person to finish with distinction in the department.
However, contrary to the popular belief after El-Rufai, another student, Tsaku Joseph Ombugadu finished from the department in 2016 with first class degree.

Sociology:

The students studying Sociology must have lost interest in knowing the last time their department produced a first class graduate. According to Abubakar, a year one student of the department, there is a story that the last distinction graduate of the department is currently the Head of Sociology Department.

Architecture:

This course which is largely about technical drawings has over the years proved to be very difficult for the students. Although according to a student, the department produced one distinction student recently after so many years.

While some of the students opined that the dearth of first-class graduates in the department is attributable to the cumbersomeness of their module.
Adeleye Azeez, a postgraduate student of the university believes some students studying Architecture in the University do not have the background knowledge in technical drawing.
He added that some of them spent their first year learning how to draw when they should be concentrating their attention on how to make As in all examinations. And that explains why a department like Architecture is not producing first class graduates in ABU.
Most of these 'curses' are in the Faculty of Sciences, where lecturers make it known to students that it is not possible to graduate with first class.

Chemistry:

Chemistry in some Universities is a dreaded course. Obafemi Awolowo Chemistry students can relate. Ahmadu Bello University students too have the same fear about Chemistry not because it is so difficult to pass but because some lecturers make it difficult to pass.

Mathematics:

Mathematics in ABU is also a curse no student has been able to overcome with a first-class academic performance in so many years.

Physics:

The Department of Physics like Chemistry in ABU is just an entity that makes it known that the best a student can get is 2.1.

Statistics:

Like all other science courses in ABU, the statistics say you can not graduate with a first class if you are in this department.

Biochemistry:

The last time this department had a distinction student was 1999 according to Omotayo Oluokun, who graduated from the department.

Veterinary Medicine:

Veterinary Medicine department is also one of the establishments in Ahmadu Bello University that glorify failure.
Stories of faculties and departments that are not producing first-class students abound in Nigeria. Almost all universities have one department or the other that is proud of its drought in the production of distinctive students.

We hope this will change now that Ahmadu Bello University is the best in Nigeria, for no one expects the best educational institution to have a stained profile except the Head of these departments want to admit that none of their students has proved to be exceptional in the last few years.

https://opera.pulse.ng/communities/student/10-dept-where-it-is-near-impossible-to-bag-first-class-in-abu-id7750587.html

1 Like

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by immortalcrown(m): 9:05pm On Oct 25, 2018
Add Information Science and Media Studies (ISMS)
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by HajimeSaito(m): 9:16pm On Oct 25, 2018
First class from a glorified Almajiri koranic school is as worthless as a piece of used toilet paper.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by Gloriousgud: 9:19pm On Oct 25, 2018
HajimeSaito:
First class from a glorified Almajiri koranic school is as worthless as a piece of used toilet paper.
I see you don't know anything about ABU.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by CivilzedTyger(m): 9:59pm On Oct 25, 2018
OP add English language and literature

1 Like

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by sheddo619(m): 11:14pm On Oct 25, 2018
Well researched write up
That survey Guy joseph tsaku that broke el-rufia's record currently lectures at a federal institution.The guy is very sound I must confess

1 Like

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by Sheggy13(m): 2:55am On Oct 26, 2018
@Kevind, I guess you're the one that came up with the ranking that placed ABU as the best university in the country. I challenge you to present any universally reputable ranking system like Times Higher Education, QS, Shanghai ranking etc that placed ABU as the best in the country. So because NNPC headed by a Northerner decided to give an award to the foremost Northern institution automatically makes it the best in the country? Here is a University that has been in existence for decades and is most funded in the country even ahead of better institutions like UI and UNN yet the research output to funding ratio is poor. Covenant of yesterday is currently ranked the best institution in the country by Times Higher. Don't ever come here to misinform people please.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by chopfronter: 7:20am On Oct 26, 2018
I graduated 2014 from ABU and all through my time there were 1st class graduates every session in Mathematics, Statistics, physics and chemistry.
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by tayebest(m): 8:34am On Oct 26, 2018
chopfronter:
I graduated 2014 from ABU and all through my time there were 1st class graduates every session in Mathematics, Statistics, physics and chemistry.

You are very correct. Mathematics department especially graduate 4-5 first class student almost every year. The OP is just a hungry blogger! sad

1 Like

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by Elzak(m): 10:18am On Oct 26, 2018
HajimeSaito:
All these embittered shits saying craps about north are actually cowards offline. You disturb yourselves when they ain't even give a damn about your own existence
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by lilmax(m): 11:12am On Oct 26, 2018
smh.....imagine your children growing up with this mentality

so what's next? 10 primary schools its impossible to take the first position grin

Nigeria is not ready for progress, see him talking with pride
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by texinolux: 11:24am On Oct 26, 2018
there are many more in oau
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by KENFERDYOORI(m): 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2018
Philosophy too
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by HigherEd: 1:31pm On Oct 26, 2018
KEVIND:

This department according to a student simply identified as Austin usually prepares the minds of new intakes that it is not possible to have first class in Ahmadu Bello University. And if you work hard to finish with first class, just be ready to accept your second class upper because the rule here is it is not possible to graduate with a distinction.
In other words, first class is a no-go area for Art and Social Science students at Ahmadu Bello University.
When you deliberately withold first class degree you hamper people's chances of competing nationally and internationally for jobs, scholarships etc. Almost half of all graduates from Imperial graduate with first class, about 700 Oxford students graduated some 1 or 2 years ago. It doesn't make ABU better than those universities, does it?

And ABU has never been ranked best uni in Nigeria by any professional ranking body before.
Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by CodeTemplar: 1:41pm On Oct 26, 2018
HigherEd:
When you deliberately withold first class degree you hamper people's chances of competing nationally and internationally for jobs, scholarships etc. Almost half of all graduates from Imperial graduate with first class, about 700 Oxford students graduated some 1 or 2 years ago. It doesn't make ABU better than those universities, does it?

And ABU has never been ranked best uni in Nigeria by any professional ranking body before.
It will never make them a bit better.
We care more about giving an impression than getting things done. "Balloon mentality" I term it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by HigherEd: 1:48pm On Oct 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
It will never make them a bit better.
We care more about giving an impression than getting things done. "Balloon mentality" I term it.
Exactly, so i wonder why they are rejoicing. I don't see an employer giving preference to ABU graduates over Babcock or AUN so why are they rejoicing lol? Every sensible school is searching out ways to make her graduates competitive and relevant some are glorifying themselves in making theirs less competitive.
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by ItzChinnex(m): 7:38pm On Oct 26, 2018
CivilzedTyger:
OP add English language and literature

I swear, this one is everywhere. Very hard to come out with 1st class.
Though I came out with 2.1

Imo State University
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by CivilzedTyger(m): 7:41pm On Oct 26, 2018
ItzChinnex:

I swear, this one is everywhere. Very hard to come out with 1st class.
Though I came out with 2.1
Congrats, that's a very good one. which school?
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by ItzChinnex(m): 7:46pm On Oct 26, 2018
CivilzedTyger:
Congrats, that's a very good one. which school?

Imo State University
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by CivilzedTyger(m): 8:07pm On Oct 26, 2018
ItzChinnex:

Imo State University
Nice. na dah side I wan serve oo. North don tire me
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by Actuarial: 8:27pm On Oct 26, 2018
Probably they admit dull students or something. Here in University of Ibadan, students graduate with first class in departments of Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Chemistry and social sciences every year!

1 Like

Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by KEVIND: 11:00pm On Oct 26, 2018
Actuarial:
Probably they admit dull students or something. Here in University of Ibadan, students graduate with first class in departments of Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Chemistry and social sciences every year!

Some notable Alumni from ABU:

★ Professor Ayodele Awojobi, (UNILAG);
★ Professor Ibrahim H. Umar, former VC BUK and VC FUTMinna;
★ Professor Isa Marte Hussaini, Pharmacology;
★ Doctor Aminu Safana, a neuro-surgeon;
★ Professor Abdullahi Mustapha, a pharmacist;
★ Professor Andrew J. Nok, a biochemist;
★ Professor Ibrahim Garba, a geologist;
★ Professor Ango Abdullahi, Chairman ACF, an agronomist and former VC;
★ Professor Lawal Khalid, CMD ABUTH.
*Dr. Baru K. Maikanti
Group Managing Director, NNPC
*Prof. Eli Jidere Bala, Director-General, Energy Commission of Nigeria July 2015 .
*Amb. Engr. Bunu Sheriff Musa, Non Executive Director Oceanic Bank International PLC, Director Jaiz International PLC.
*Engineer Isah, Joseph Onobere
Sole Administrator, Ajaokuta Steel Company Limited .
*Prof Abubakar Sani Sambo, Chairman of the Nigerian Member Committee of the World Energy Council (WEC).
*Prof B. G. Bajoga, Managing Director NITEL.
*His Excellency Governor Donald Duke, Former governor Cross River State.
* Mohammed Bello Adoke, Former Attorney General and Minister of Justice.
*His Royal highness, Aliyu Musdafa Barkindo, the Emir of Yola.
*Hon Justice Idris L Kutigi, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria(2007 to 2009).

This will do.
Re: 10 Dept Where It Is Near Impossible To Bag First Class In ABU by Actuarial: 1:28am On Oct 27, 2018
KEVIND:

Some notable Alumni from ABU:

★ Professor Ayodele Awojobi, (UNILAG);
★ Professor Ibrahim H. Umar, former VC BUK and VC FUTMinna;
★ Professor Isa Marte Hussaini, Pharmacology;
★ Doctor Aminu Safana, a neuro-surgeon;
★ Professor Abdullahi Mustapha, a pharmacist;
★ Professor Andrew J. Nok, a biochemist;
★ Professor Ibrahim Garba, a geologist;
★ Professor Ango Abdullahi, Chairman ACF, an agronomist and former VC;
★ Professor Lawal Khalid, CMD ABUTH.
*Dr. Baru K. Maikanti
Group Managing Director, NNPC
*Prof. Eli Jidere Bala, Director-General, Energy Commission of Nigeria July 2015 .
*Amb. Engr. Bunu Sheriff Musa, Non Executive Director Oceanic Bank International PLC, Director Jaiz International PLC.
*Engineer Isah, Joseph Onobere
Sole Administrator, Ajaokuta Steel Company Limited .
*Prof Abubakar Sani Sambo, Chairman of the Nigerian Member Committee of the World Energy Council (WEC).
*Prof B. G. Bajoga, Managing Director NITEL.
*His Excellency Governor Donald Duke, Former governor Cross River State.
* Mohammed Bello Adoke, Former Attorney General and Minister of Justice.
*His Royal highness, Aliyu Musdafa Barkindo, the Emir of Yola.
*Hon Justice Idris L Kutigi, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Nigeria(2007 to 2009).

This will do.

Who asked for this?
Just tell me why they don't produce first class students from those departments and we'll start from there undecided

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Your Lost WAEC Certificate (Attestation Certificate) In Simple Steps / I Want My Daughter To Do Her Bsc. In Canada. How Do I Go About It? / Alaba Anna: Nigerian Girl Is The Best USA Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.