Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,759 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba (5972 Views)

A Tribe Called Yoruba! / A Tribe Called Yoruba People / Proofs That The Torah Was Written In A Language Now Called Yoruba Language. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by TAO11(f): 12:58am On Nov 06, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

Is he in afenifere?

Tinubu as well as several millions of Yorubas are not in Afenifere.

What is this desperate thing saying sef...

Just keep exposing ur dumbness and lameness publicly

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by TAO11(f): 1:35am On Nov 06, 2018
fero007:
its only in this nairaland that i hear that itsekiri is yoruba o

Regardless of what the average Itsekiri person today thinks, his own tradition claims they are part of the Olukumi folk and as such they are sons and daughters of Oduduwa.

A quick google search on the internet will show u that the Itsekiri language is regarded as

"a major branch of the Yoruboid group of languages".

In fact, from my research I have come to realize that the Itsekiri dialect (as well as other Eastern flank Yoruba dialects like Ekiti, Yagba, Owo, Kabba) and to some extent the Ife dialect are the most ancient Yoruba dialects.

We can discuss this further if you're interested

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by Sinistami(m): 6:39am On Nov 06, 2018
scholes0:

I'll come back to you with details because right now, I can't type long notes.

You are knocking yourself out, seriously.
You started it yourself, by making a list of ethnic groups that ARE NOT the same but share close kinship, and then are getting confused over same issue. The strongest links itsekiris have with any other ethnic group are with Yorubas.
Is Epie Urhobo?

Thank you o. Epie is more farther apart from Urhobo than Itshekiri from Yoruba. other than that I my self still think Itshekiri isn't Yoruba because language isn't the only thing to define an ethnic group. They entire culture and Traditions and worldview is very different from Yoruba and Closer to Its Neighbours Urhobos Ijaw and Edo etc.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by fero007: 8:14am On Nov 06, 2018
Sinistami:

Thank you o. Epie is more farther apart from Urhobo than Itshekiri from Yoruba. other than that I my self still think Itshekiri isn't Yoruba because language isn't the only thing to define an ethnic group. They entire culture and Traditions and worldview is very different from Yoruba and Closer to Its Neighbours Urhobos Ijaw and Edo etc.

epp me remove epie, its a slip of fingers, its based on what sagbama urobo grl told me, but 4 tsekiri I lived in warri so i ve first hand knowledge
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by fero007: 8:23am On Nov 06, 2018
scholes0:

I'll come back to you with details because right now, I can't type long notes.

You are knocking yourself out, seriously.
You started it yourself, by making a list of ethnic groups that ARE NOT the same but share close kinship, and then are getting confused over same issue. The strongest links itsekiris have with any other ethnic group are with Yorubas.
Is Epie Urhobo?

thank God u know i said ethnic groups with CLOSE simliarities, ive lived in warri so i know dat apart from language (which is not even that close) they is no other cultural similarity btw itsekiri n yoruba. itsekiri are believe to come from bini lead by ginuwa, their customs are edo related, in terms of other aspects of culture, (food, dressing, dance, way of life) they re FAR FAR CLOSER to ijaw n urhobo sef than to yorubas

2 Likes

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by fero007: 8:27am On Nov 06, 2018
TAO11:

Regardless of what the average Itsekiri person today thinks, his own tradition claims they are part of the Olukumi folk and as such they are sons and daughters of Oduduwa.

A quick google search on the internet will show u that the Itsekiri language is regarded as

"a major branch of the Yoruboid group of languages".

In fact, from my research I have come to realize that the Itsekiri dialect (as well as other Eastern flank Yoruba dialects like Ekiti, Yagba, Owo, Ijebu, Kabba) and to some extent the Ife dialect are the most ancient Yoruba dialects.

We can discuss this further if you're interested

im does pepo dat lyk claim right so ill like 2 learn further

but i just want 2 state that we sud not rely on google for info cuz google can to be misleading on these type of issues, and again nigerians(especially yorubas n igbos) need to change the mentality that the same language automatically means the same tribe or ethnic group or pepo
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by Opiletool(m): 12:40pm On Nov 06, 2018
fero007:

thank God u know i said ethnic groups with CLOSE simliarities, ive lived in warri so i know dat apart from language (which is not even that close) they is no other cultural similarity btw itsekiri n yoruba. itsekiri are believe to come from bini lead by ginuwa, their customs are edo related, in terms of other aspects of culture, (food, dressing, dance, way of life) they re FAR FAR CLOSER to ijaw n urhobo sef than to yorubas

If the itshekiris came from bini, why is their language similar to that of yoruba?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by scholes0(m): 2:28pm On Nov 06, 2018
fero007:

Itsekiri relationship with Urhobo and Ijaw is ephemeral and lateral in nature. i.e it is as a result of the virtue of them being neighbors. It can also change at any time depending on the prevailing circumstances. Consider a scenario where itsekiris became a province in Western Nigeria, their visible culture would significantly shift more towards what you are referring to as the general Yoruba culture now, even if they will still retain some uniqueness. Take for example, even now, despite the fact that Itsekiris are not in the SW, many Itsekiris already wear Agbadas.....

What you don't know is that to a large extent, people's material culture is also shaped by politics and regionalization, especially in a country like Nigeria. On the other hand, The Itsekiri relationship with Yoruba is more nodal/ vertical in nature...i.e (direct descent) and can never be changed. All the primordial villages and clans in itsekiri land came from Yorubaland, except perhaps the Royal Court.
Itsekiris will simply be like their Ilaje brothers after 30 years in the SW, believe it or not. Apoi a lost Ijaw clan in Ondo state have become fully assimilated as Yorubas, and You think Itsekiri is so different from Yoruba culture, because they eat banga and starch, while Yoruba eat Okra and Eba? Or because Itseke women wear heavy coral beads while Yoruba women tie gele lol

Now all that being said, when comparing Yoruba and itsekiri, the mistake you are making is comparg Itsekiri to OYO which is the face of Yoruba culture, being the hegemonic force in most of Yorubaland for centuries. That is understandable. The relationship between Itsekiri and certain Yoruba groups are much more obvious that others. Compare Itsekiri and Owo or Okitipupa for example it becomes much more visible.

Moreso, Itsekiris do not come from Ginuwa, unless you are suggesting that ginuwa is older than Itsekiri as a people.
Also what is the Yoruba world view pls? You seem to be suggesting that Yorubas as a people have a set world view.... Traditionally, we have monarchies, they have a monarchy, infact the traditional titles of more than a few cities in Yorubaland are Olus; Mushin, Ilaro and Igbokoda immediately come to mind. Clan chiefs in Eastern Yorubaland are known as Olojas, same in Itsekiri as Olajas. Our traditional religion believe in Eboras, Imales, Ifa/divinition Ogun, Olokun, Ayelala (in Ilaje and Ikale)... Etc. SAME obtains in itsekiri

Those are the bone of a culture (LANGUAGE, Societal structure and Traditional RELIGION), every other thing you see are just meat.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by scholes0(m): 2:50pm On Nov 06, 2018
Sinistami:

What is the Yoruba worldview?
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by fero007: 4:48pm On Nov 06, 2018
scholes0:

Itsekiri relationship with Urhobo and Ijaw is ephemeral and lateral in nature. i.e it is as a result of the virtue of them being neighbors. It can also change at any time depending on the prevailing circumstances. Consider a scenario where itsekiris became a province in Western Nigeria, their visible culture would significantly shift more towards what you are referring to as the general Yoruba culture now, even if they will still retain some uniqueness. Take for example, even now, despite the fact that Itsekiris are not in the SW, many Itsekiris already wear Agbadas.....

What you don't know is that to a large extent, people's material culture is also shaped by politics and regionalization, especially in a country like Nigeria. On the other hand, The Itsekiri relationship with Yoruba is more nodal/ vertical in nature...i.e (direct descent) and can never be changed. All the primordial villages and clans in itsekiri land came from Yorubaland, except perhaps Ode Itsekiri and the Royal Court.
Itsekiris will simply be like their Ilaje brothers after 30 years in the SW, believe it or not. Apoi a lost Ijaw clan in Ondo state have become fully assimilated as Yorubas, and You think Itsekiri is so different from Yoruba culture, because they eat banga and starch, while Yoruba eat Okra and Eba? Or because Itseke women wear heavy coral beads while Yoruba women tie gele lol

Now all that being said, when comparing Yoruba and itsekiri, the mistake you are making is comparg Itsekiri to OYO which is the face of Yoruba culture, being the hegemonic force in most of Yorubaland for centuries. That is understandable. The relationship between Itsekiri and certain Yoruba groups are much more obvious that others. Compare Itsekiri and Owo Or Okitipupa for example it becomes much more visible.

Moreso, Itsekiris do not come from Ginuwa, unless you are suggesting that ginuwa is older than Itsekiri as a people.
Also what is the Yoruba world view pls? You seem to be suggesting that Yorubas as a people have a set world view.... Traditionally We have monarchies, they have a monarchy, infact the traditional titles of more than a few cities in Yorubaland are Olus, Mushin, Ilaro and Igbokoda immediately come to mind. Clan chiefs in Eastern Yorubaland are known as Olojas, same in Itsekiri as Olajas. Our traditional religion believe in Eboras, Imales, Ifa/divinition Ogun, Olokun, Ayelala (in Ilaje and Ikale)... Etc. SAME obtains in itsekiri

Those are the bone of a culture (LANGUAGE, Societal structure and Traditional RELIGION) , , every other thing you see are just meat.

the problem with many of these theories is there is no real proof supporting them, they are based on logical guesses which maybe true or false, there is no proof that itsekiris came from yoruba, they may be diff people who lost their language to yoruba for some reason, if you know the south south you'll know its not uncommon for tribes to lose their culture for a foreign one
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by scholes0(m): 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2018
fero007:

the problem with many of these theories is there is no real proof supporting them, they are based on logical guesses which maybe true or false, there is no proof that itsekiris came from yoruba, they may be diff people who lost their language to yoruba for some reason, if you know the south south you'll know its not uncommon for tribes to lose their culture for a foreign one

What is the proof that Itsekiri came from Yorubaland bawo?
This discussion is spiralling out of control. grin

Our South South. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by TAO11(f): 5:24pm On Nov 06, 2018
fero007:

im does pepo dat lyk claim right so ill like 2 learn further

but i just want 2 state that we sud not rely on google for info cuz google can to be misleading on these type of issues, and again nigerians(especially yorubas n igbos) need to change the mentality that the same language automatically means the same tribe or ethnic group or pepo

Hello fero007,

I must tell you that I really admire your resolve to trust what you believe to be true. What I will in fact appreciate even more than that is your willingness to open-mindedly admit a fact (or at least a more likely position) even though it will contradict what you've held all along.

I must also salute scholes0 's effort for consistently putting forward his vastness and his view on this subject.

Now to address the issues, you made two important remarks in response to one of my comments on this issue, namely that:

1) "we sud not rely on google for info cuz google can to be misleading on these type of issues"

2) "same language (does not) automatically means the same tribe or ethnic group or pepo".

Regarding the first, I could swear your real intention was to say that we should not simply take information from the internet UNCRITICALLY. I believe you didn't mean that we shouldn't access the internet (through a search engine like 'google') for information. The internet is just an electronic database (just as our physical libraries) containing information of all sorts.

That information I shared on Itsekiri language being "a major branch of the Yoruboid group of languages" is a standard view among linguists. It is not some heretic or unpopular or debunked position at all. That was why I comfortably asked you (without any worry) to search for it yourself.

Regarding the second, I must tell you that historians and anthropologists consider "linguistic evidence" to be highly indispensable in tracing (the origins of a group or the link between two groups) of people. The one and only type of evidence which supersedes linguistics evidence in this regard is "archeological evidence". A third evidence down the hierarchy is "cultural/religious analysis".

While I agree with you that one type of evidence should not be taken blindly without regards to another, I at the same time have the responsibility to emphasize to you how indispensable linguistic analysis is in respect of this subject.

You indicated above that you're willing to have further conversation on the subject if there is any further contrary view to yours. Below is my careful analysis in relation to your request:

* I will start by examining some oral tradition of these people of the south, because oral tradition is the vast repository or corpus of every pre-literate people. But I will admit, fair and square, that I am aware that oral traditions could be skewed, exaggerated, and sometimes fabricated, hence the reason I will be subjecting whatever oral traditions I'm adducing from these people, to scientific scrutiny by augmenting them with widely attested written sources.

The oral traditions I will be adducing from the Itsekiri and the "Yoruba" sides is one that says the same thing (or about the same thing), hence very unlikely to have been a fabricated tradition by one of them to favor itself.

An oral tradition of very early migration(s) of a group of people from some region of North-East Africa down the south (precisely to the south of today's Nigeria) is found in many "Yoruba" traditions as well as in Itsekiri's traditions.

Chief Atigbiofor Atsuliaghan who is a high-priest of Umale-Okun (an Itsekiri deity), who also claimed to be a direct descendant of Òrúnmìlà stated that the Yorubas migrated from Egypt and settled in various parts of what is now called Nigeria, and that two important places among the places they settled are Ode-Itsekiri and Ile-Ife.

Similarly, Chief O.N Rewane noted that according to oral tradition, the Yorubas came from the south of Egypt but not directly to Ile-Ife. he added that they settled at Illushi, some at Asaba area, Ebu, Olukumi, Ukwunzu, and some settled at Ode-Itsekiri.

(_Refer to O.N. Rewane Royalty Magazine: A Pictorial Souvenir of the Burial and Coronation of Olu of Warri, Warri 1987_).

From, the Yoruba side, the Awujale of Ijebu land has maintained that the Ijebus are descended from ancient Nubia (a colony of ancient Egypt). he adduced the evidence of identical language, body-scarification, kingship ritual, kingship system, and religious discourse to substantiate his claim.
This claim by the Awajale can also be authenticated all over the most ancient "Yoruba" kingdoms.

(Refer to the _1984 Awujale's Coronation Manual_ where he also mentioned that the Itsekiris speak the most ancient Ijebu dialect).

Having presented some oral traditions of these people (which essentially does not contradict), it is therefore important to further substantiate these traditions with written evidences from modern studies of experts in the field:

W. F. Conton writes in respect of the migration from North-East Africa:

"The Yoruba of Nigeria are believed by many modern historians to be descended from a people who were living on the banks of the Nile ... All we can be certain about is that they were a Negro people (of which ancient Egypt probably had at least one community as we have seen) and that one of the many princely states they founded on their arrival in West Africa ... was Ife."

(W. F. Conton, 1960, p.71).

An indigenous scholar A. B. Aderibigbe also speaks of a migration of the Yorubas from the upper Nile as early as 2000 B.C to 1000 B.C, but unlike Conton pointed out a possible cause.

(A. B. Aderibigbe 1976).

Another scholar, Olumide J. Lucas, adducing many evidences noted that "the Yoruba, during antiquity, lived in ancient Egypt before migrating to the Atlantic coast".

It is also mentioned in an online article that, many ancient papyri discovered by archaeologists point at an Egyptian origin. (Tariqh Sawandi. Yorubic Medicine: The Art of Divine Herbology).

In fact, historians have come to almost unanimously agree that the migration of the "Yorubas" from North-East Africa is not just once but in different batches spaced by centuries, with one of the batches being led by a leader named Oduduwa.

But an important question which I personally have always pondered from these conclusions of modern historians is that, why do those "Yoruba" people keep migrating consistently in the "Nigeria" direction (especially considering the fact that the migration is not just in one batch but in different batches spaced by centuries)? Could it be that they were in search of fertile land for agricultural purpose? Could their migrations simply be marking different home-comings by people who knew from their history that they had originally migrated northward from the "Nigeria" region?

In summary, the (non-contradictory) oral traditions of these two people (confirmed by the view of experts) affirms that there were migrations of a group of people from North-East Africa to Ode-Itsekiri and Ile-Ife among other places. It is therefore reasonable and safe to conclude that they are the same people, and as such the evidence of similarity of language is not just some accidental coincidence.

Furthermore, linguistic evidence shows links between ancient Egypt, Itsekiri, and "Yoruba". See the examples below:

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN ITSEKIRI-YORUBA OYO-YORUBA
Adumu (Water god) ADUMU (Water god) ADAMU (A god)
Kuku (Darkness) Okuku (Darkness) Okuku (Darkness)
Dudu (Black Image of Osiris) Dudu (black ) Dudu ( black )
Omi (Water) Omi (Water) Omi (Water)
Heket-Re (Frog god) Ekere (Frog) Akere (Frog)
Horise (Sky god) Oritse (Sky god) Orisa (A god)
Hika (Evil) Ika (Evil) Ika (Evil)
Shu (Evil god) Eshu (Evil god) Eshu (Evil god)

(Adapted from 500 word-word correlation between Yoruba and Egyptian languages).

*Furthermore, from the point of view of culture and religion, the kingship title of the Itsekiris is unlike that of any of its neighbour (except if that neighbor has been influenced by Itsekiri itself).

The name "Olu" is found among the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" not even among their Edo or Bini neigbours. The kingship title "Olu" is the title for present day Ikeja monarchs, Olu-Ikeja (Olu of Ikeja).

Even in Eko (the rough equivalent of the area known today as Lagos), the kingship title used to be "Olu", before the later adoption of the more general Yoruba word for "king" ("Oba" ) through Benin influence. Hence, the title was Olu-Eko (Eleko).

Still on cultural and religious discourse:

The Eyo masquerade of Eko, although may have originated from Ijebu, the attire is purely of Warri origin. Its attire and dance style is similar (or arguably identical) to that of Awankere of Warri.

The drums used by the Aworis (a Yoruba subgroup that originally inhabited the area later to be known as Eko, before Benin conquest) for their cultural and religious observance is similar to Itsekiri drums and both look nothing like the Binis'.

In summation, all the foregoing I believe establishes that the "Yorubas" and the Itsekiri are one and the same people given the admittance of their own oral tradition, their language, and culture.

A last note:

It is important to mention that although the monarchy system of the Itsekiri known to everyone today was influenced by Ginuwa (a Benin), the Itsekiri were a organized people in the south long long before that time (and most likely with their own indigenous monarchy system) and they are a mighty force to reckon with.

In fact, the Edos themselves are descended from the Irigbos of Ode-Itsekiri (and not the other way round) and there is good evidence for this and can be discussed later.

The Itsekiris introduced beads, salt, and the worship of Umale-Okun to the Binis.

In fact, the powerful Bini kingdom at some point in history had to pay taxes to the Olu of Warri when the yoke of imperialism crumbled the once great kingdom.

So, there was influence from both sides (Benin and Itsekiri) and it is expected due to proximity, but what is unimaginable is that a group of people even farther away in terms of proximity shares so much in terms of language, etc. The only scientific explanation is that they are the same people, and this explanation agrees with the oral traditions of these people themselves.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by fero007: 6:50pm On Nov 06, 2018
TAO11:

oh, is dat what i wrote? i meant "im not one of those pepo dat lyk claiming right"
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by TAO11(f): 8:54pm On Nov 06, 2018
fero007:

oh, is dat what i wrote? i meant "im not one of those pepo dat lyk claiming right"

I am copying my reply above down here in case you missed it. I hope to hear from you ...

Hello fero007,

I must tell you that I really admire your resolve to trust what you believe to be true. What I will in fact appreciate even more than that is your willingness to open-mindedly admit a fact (or at least a more likely position) even though it will contradict what you've held all along.

I must also salute scholes0 's effort for consistently putting forward his vastness and his view on this subject.

Now to address the issues, you made two important remarks in response to one of my comments on this issue, namely that:

1) "we sud not rely on google for info cuz google can to be misleading on these type of issues"

2) "same language (does not) automatically means the same tribe or ethnic group or pepo".

Regarding the first, I could swear your real intention was to say that we should not simply take information from the internet UNCRITICALLY. I believe you didn't mean that we shouldn't access the internet (through a search engine like 'google') for information. The internet is just an electronic database (just as our physical libraries) containing information of all sorts.

That information I shared on Itsekiri language being "a major branch of the Yoruboid group of languages" is a standard view among linguists. It is not some heretic or unpopular or debunked position at all. That was why I comfortably asked you (without any worry) to search for it yourself.

Regarding the second, I must tell you that historians and anthropologists consider "linguistic evidence" to be highly indispensable in tracing (the origins of a group or the link between two groups) of people. The one and only type of evidence which supersedes linguistics evidence in this regard is "archeological evidence". A third evidence down the hierarchy is "cultural/religious analysis".

While I agree with you that one type of evidence should not be taken blindly without regards to another, I at the same time have the responsibility to emphasize to you how indispensable linguistic analysis is in respect of this subject.

You indicated above that you're willing to have further conversation on the subject if there is any further contrary view to yours. Below is my careful analysis in relation to your request:

* I will start by examining some oral tradition of these people of the south, because oral tradition is the vast repository or corpus of every pre-literate people. But I will admit, fair and square, that I am aware that oral traditions could be skewed, exaggerated, and sometimes fabricated, hence the reason I will be subjecting whatever oral traditions I'm adducing from these people, to scientific scrutiny by augmenting them with widely attested written sources.

The oral traditions I will be adducing from the Itsekiri and the "Yoruba" sides is one that says the same thing (or about the same thing), hence very unlikely to have been a fabricated tradition by one of them to favor itself.

An oral tradition of very early migration(s) of a group of people from some region of North-East Africa down the south (precisely to the south of today's Nigeria) is found in many "Yoruba" traditions as well as in Itsekiri's traditions.

Chief Atigbiofor Atsuliaghan who is a high-priest of Umale-Okun (an Itsekiri deity), who also claimed to be a direct descendant of Òrúnmìlà stated that the Yorubas migrated from Egypt and settled in various parts of what is now called Nigeria, and that two important places among the places they settled are Ode-Itsekiri and Ile-Ife.

Similarly, Chief O.N Rewane noted that according to oral tradition, the Yorubas came from the south of Egypt but not directly to Ile-Ife. he added that they settled at Illushi, some at Asaba area, Ebu, Olukumi, Ukwunzu, and some settled at Ode-Itsekiri.

(_Refer to O.N. Rewane Royalty Magazine: A Pictorial Souvenir of the Burial and Coronation of Olu of Warri, Warri 1987_).

From, the Yoruba side, the Awujale of Ijebu land has maintained that the Ijebus are descended from ancient Nubia (a colony of ancient Egypt). he adduced the evidence of identical language, body-scarification, kingship ritual, kingship system, and religious discourse to substantiate his claim.
This claim by the Awajale can also be authenticated all over the most ancient "Yoruba" kingdoms.

(Refer to the _1984 Awujale's Coronation Manual_ where he also mentioned that the Itsekiris speak the most ancient Ijebu dialect).

Having presented some oral traditions of these people (which essentially does not contradict), it is therefore important to further substantiate these traditions with written evidences from modern studies of experts in the field:

W. F. Conton writes in respect of the migration from North-East Africa:

"The Yoruba of Nigeria are believed by many modern historians to be descended from a people who were living on the banks of the Nile ... All we can be certain about is that they were a Negro people (of which ancient Egypt probably had at least one community as we have seen) and that one of the many princely states they founded on their arrival in West Africa ... was Ife."

(W. F. Conton, 1960, p.71).

An indigenous scholar A. B. Aderibigbe also speaks of a migration of the Yorubas from the upper Nile as early as 2000 B.C to 1000 B.C, but unlike Conton pointed out a possible cause.

(A. B. Aderibigbe 1976).

Another scholar, Olumide J. Lucas, adducing many evidences noted that "the Yoruba, during antiquity, lived in ancient Egypt before migrating to the Atlantic coast".

It is also mentioned in an online article that, many ancient papyri discovered by archaeologists point at an Egyptian origin. (Tariqh Sawandi. Yorubic Medicine: The Art of Divine Herbology).

In fact, historians have come to almost unanimously agree that the migration of the "Yorubas" from North-East Africa is not just once but in different batches spaced by centuries, with one of the batches being led by a leader named Oduduwa.

But an important question which I personally have always pondered from these conclusions of modern historians is that, why do those "Yoruba" people keep migrating consistently in the "Nigeria" direction (especially considering the fact that the migration is not just in one batch but in different batches spaced by centuries)? Could it be that they were in search of fertile land for agricultural purpose? Could their migrations simply be marking different home-comings by people who knew from their history that they had originally migrated northward from the "Nigeria" region?

In summary, the (non-contradictory) oral traditions of these two people (confirmed by the view of experts) affirms that there were migrations of a group of people from North-East Africa to Ode-Itsekiri and Ile-Ife among other places. It is therefore reasonable and safe to conclude that they are the same people, and as such the evidence of similarity of language is not just some accidental coincidence.

Furthermore, linguistic evidence shows links between ancient Egypt, Itsekiri, and "Yoruba". See the examples below:

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN ITSEKIRI-YORUBA OYO-YORUBA
Adumu (Water god) ADUMU (Water god) ADAMU (A god)
Kuku (Darkness) Okuku (Darkness) Okuku (Darkness)
Dudu (Black Image of Osiris) Dudu (black ) Dudu ( black )
Omi (Water) Omi (Water) Omi (Water)
Heket-Re (Frog god) Ekere (Frog) Akere (Frog)
Horise (Sky god) Oritse (Sky god) Orisa (A god)
Hika (Evil) Ika (Evil) Ika (Evil)
Shu (Evil god) Eshu (Evil god) Eshu (Evil god)

(Adapted from 500 word-word correlation between Yoruba and Egyptian languages).

*Furthermore, from the point of view of culture and religion, the kingship title of the Itsekiris is unlike that of any of its neighbour (except if that neighbor has been influenced by Itsekiri itself).

The name "Olu" is found among the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" not even among their Edo or Bini neigbours. The kingship title "Olu" is the title for present day Ikeja monarchs, Olu-Ikeja (Olu of Ikeja).

Even in Eko (the rough equivalent of the area known today as Lagos), the kingship title used to be "Olu", before the later adoption of the more general Yoruba word for "king" ("Oba" ) through Benin influence. Hence, the title was Olu-Eko (Eleko).

Still on cultural and religious discourse:

The Eyo masquerade of Eko, although may have originated from Ijebu, the attire is purely of Warri origin. Its attire and dance style is similar (or arguably identical) to that of Awankere of Warri.

The drums used by the Aworis (a Yoruba subgroup that originally inhabited the area later to be known as Eko, before Benin conquest) for their cultural and religious observance is similar to Itsekiri drums and both look nothing like the Binis'.

In summation, all the foregoing I believe establishes that the "Yorubas" and the Itsekiri are one and the same people given the admittance of their own oral tradition, their language, and culture.

A last note:

It is important to mention that although the monarchy system of the Itsekiri known to everyone today was influenced by Ginuwa (a Benin), the Itsekiri were a organized people in the south long long before that time (and most likely with their own indigenous monarchy system) and they are a mighty force to reckon with.

In fact, the Edos themselves are descended from the Irigbos of Ode-Itsekiri (and not the other way round) and there is good evidence for this and can be discussed later.

The Itsekiris introduced beads, salt, and the worship of Umale-Okun to the Binis.

In fact, the powerful Bini kingdom at some point in history had to pay taxes to the Olu of Warri when the yoke of imperialism crumbled the once great kingdom.

So, there was influence from both sides (Benin and Itsekiri) and it is expected due to proximity, but what is unimaginable is that a group of people even farther away in terms of proximity shares so much in terms of language, etc. The only scientific explanation is that they are the same people, and this explanation agrees with the oral traditions of these people themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 06, 2018
OlaoChi:
what is your business?

Face igboland that has ikwerre, ika, aniocha etc denying igbo

You don't have a life at all

Just look at this hypocrite, u opened a thread about how igbos are lost yet you come here and attack the op of writing about yorubas?
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by Opiletool(m): 9:56pm On Nov 06, 2018
TAO11:

Hello fero007,

This is highly commendable. Well done.

I am still very much interested in that Egypt part of Yoruba story. I have read several pieces on it, plus the recent submitions from Reno Omokiri which have some interesting twists to the story. I seriously hope for a factual closure someday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by TAO11(f): 2:27am On Nov 07, 2018
Opiletool:

This is highly commendable. Well done.

I am still very much interested in that Egypt part of Yoruba story. I have read several pieces on it, plus the recent submitions from Reno Omokiri which have some interesting twists to the story. I seriously hope for a factual closure someday.

X

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by fero007: 9:35am On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

Thank you Opiletool for your time, and I commend your curiosity even more.

On the Yoruba-Egypt link, the standard submission of modern historians and anthropologists is what I summarized above. They all agree on a North-East Africa [precisely ancient Egypt and ancient Nubia (a colony of ancient Egypt)] origin for the people of Southern Nigeria (the Itshekiris and the "Yorubas" to be precise).

*They examined the oral traditions of these people (which admits they are from that North-East region of Africa) and corroborated them with archeological evidences, written documentation from other parts of the world (e.g. Egypt itself).

For example, I myself once had a similar discussion with a friend from Ethiopia (North-East Africa) in which I told him about Oduduwa. Guess what! He was shocked at hearing the name, and he himself shocked me when he informed me that the word "Oduduwa" (same spelling, same pronunciation) is a word in his own language (Oromo language), meaning "One who speaks" probably on behalf of others.

We talked further, and I mentioned "Oromiyan". Again, there was similar reaction from both of us, because he told me that "Oromiyan" (which they spell using English letters as: Oromiya or Oromia) is the name of the district or region of Ethiopia he hailed from. He further told me that Oromo people are not restricted to Ethiopia, he said they are found in other parts of East and North-East Africa.

*They examined the culture and religion of these people (the ancient "Yoruba" people and the ancient Egyptians) and found striking resemblance (which further bolsters other available evidence such as the fact that the ancient Egyptians and Nubians were Negros, etc.). For instance, many pre-dynastic Egyptian deities are still been worshipped in parts of "Yoruba" land up till today. they also are present among the Itsekiris till today.

(A) Some of the deities include: "Adumu" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Adumu" or "Adamu" ); "Hepi" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Ipi" ); "Ausar" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Ausa" ); "Horise" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Oritse" or "Orisa" ), and "S'mi" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Smi" or "Simi" ); "Nam" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Inama" ); etc.

[The Itsekiris had great religious influence on its immediate neighbors (including the Binis) by initiating them into many of these gods and belief systems. From the "Umale-Okun" worship by the Edo, to the "Agban" ancestral worship by the Urhobos recently in 1949, as well as the "Ipi" system by the Urhobos even more recently in 2005.].

(B) Bronze/Brass casting (using a method known today as the "lost wax process" is another unique and distinctive aspect of the culture (art) of the Yorubas (the Ifes precisely) that is strikingly similar to that of the ancient Egyptians.

[Although some may contend that the Binis also casted metal, it is important to remind them that the Binis' oral tradition admits that casting was taught to them by Ile-Ife. The Binis tradition mentioned that Igue-Igha (or Igueghae) was sent from Uhe (Ife) (at the beseech of Oba Oguola to his spiritual overlord, the Ooni) to civilize them into the art and science of metal casting. The purpose was to enable the Binis start producing themselves, instead of being entirely dependent on importation from Ife. Igue-Igha is still venerated in Bini up till today at his shrine at the house of Chief Ine].

[Also, others may contend that the excavations of artifacts in SouthEast Nigeria shows that metal casting was not unique and distinctive to the "Yorubas". It is important to remind such people that the Igbos, according to their own admittance, are not autochthonous to their present area, their migration (most likely from outside Africa) came later after their present area have been visited by earlier migrants (the "Yoruba" and Itsekiri migrants from Egypt).
In fact some evidences which proves this to be the case include: (1) The presence of places called "Ife" in the South East Nigeria (which appears to corroborate Ile-Ife's tradition that there have been many Ife's before Ile-Ife such as Ife-Oodaye, Ife-Oyeelagbo, Otu-Ife, among others); (2) The claim found in some Igbo people's traditions that Oduduwa left to Ile-Ife from Nri; (3) The fact that some of the Igb-Ukwu artifacts (glass and carnelian beads specifically) have been found to be strikingly identical to those of Old Cairo (Egypt); (4) and lastly, the dating of the Ugbo-Ukwu artifacts shows a earlier date as compared to those excavated at Ile-Ife. All these shows that the Bronze and other artifacts from the South East were remnants of a civilization (The "Yorubas' " ) that had earlier visited the area centuries before the Igbo's arrival. The Iwo Eleru burial artifact (South West Nigeria) with a radiocarbon date of about 12,000 B.C. also further bolsters the evidence of the "Yorubas' " earlier presence in Southern Nigeria].

(C) Dance is another aspect of the unique and distinctive cultural similarity between the "Yoruba" and the Egyptian cultures. Those who have watched the Zar ritual dance conducted by special women among Fellahin in Egypt saw the replica of Yoruba dance during religious activities. A place called "Owodaiye" in today's Ethiopia (of which Egypt was at some point in history a colony) also further strengthens the link.

[Many experts have argued that the different batches of migration from Egypt to the Atlantic coast which started as early as the Hyksos' invasion of Egypt (2,000 B.C. to 1,500 B.C.) signifies different home-coming migration of a group of people who knew that their ancestors had migrated northwards from this "Nigeria" area. The evidence adduced by these scholars being that archaeological finds shows that the "Nigeria" region have been continuously occupied from around 40,000 B.C. to 65,000 B.C. by the Nok culture who have been argued to be of course the original inhabitants of southern Nigeria some of which first migrated northwards and then later southwards in the different waves of migration of the "Yorubas"].

(D) Some scholars have considered the direction of burial of the ancient Egyptians as evidence of Nigeria as the original home. When the ancient Egyptian died their corpses are buried with their faces facing South West (the direction of West Africa --- home of the "Yorubas" ).

(E) It was only recently I found out from a friend doing their PhD in Biostatistics in a U.S. University that the sickle cell disorder is generally known in medical discourse to be a trait peculiar to West Africans. However, a recent analysis of the genes of a minority Negro people in Egypt shows the presence of the trait.

(F) Another evidence of link is the landmark figure known as Shango, the Alaafin (arguably Olu-Afin) of Oyo whose mom is Tapa. Shango actually not only ruled a West African empire, he also ruled in the North of Africa.
(I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw this information been confirmed in sources outside Africa. What led to my perplexity when I first saw this was the very later date that has usually been speculated for most of these figures: Shango, Oromiyan, Oduduwa, etc. for instance the staff of Oromiyan is shown by radiocarbon dating to be centuries earlier than the date generally speculated to mark the start of the Oduduwa dynasty. The corrections and revisions are just being made only recently).

Shango according to this source was well known beyond Africa. Stories were told about Oba Koso (an ethnonym of Shango). Pedral quoted Morie's work in the Coptic text - "Obba Kousso" as he was known, noting that he "was King Shango and a king of Kush who ruled north and west of Africa but was born in Ife". Morie had no idea where Ife was.

(G) Another evidence is a Yoruba Osun serpentine staff crowned by a bird, and carried by initiates of Obàtálá which bears striking resemblance to Caduceus, the traditional symbol of the Greek god Hermes. But the Greek pantheon and theology itself was influenced by no other than the Egyptian's.

(H) I will close out by adducing linguistic evidence. There are very many word-word correlation between Egyptian and Yoruba languages which not only sound similarly but also having similar/identical meanings. The similarity/identicality are too striking and too numerous to be simply explained away by coincidence.

The following are few examples:

"Ere" an ancient Egyptian word for "Python/Serpent" is the same as "Ere" an ancient Yoruba word for "Python/Serpent".

"Horise" an ancient Egyptian word for "a great god" is the same as "Orise" an ancient Yoruba word for "a great god".

"Sen" an ancient Egyptian word for "a group of worshippers" is the same as "Sen" an ancient Yoruba word (especially Ijebu word) for "to worship".

"Ta" an ancient Egyptian word for "sell" is the same as "Ta" an ancient Yoruba word for "sell".

"Sueg" an ancient Egyptian word for "a fool" is the same as "Suegbe" an ancient Yoruba word for "a fool".

"Enru" an ancient Egyptian word for "fear" is the same as "Eru" an ancient Yoruba word for "fear"

"Kun" an ancient Egyptian word for "a brave man" is the same as "Ekun" a Yoruba title for "a brave man".

"Osiris" an ancient Egyptian word "water god" is the same as "Oshiri" a Yoruba word for a "water god".

"Oni" an Egyptian title of "Osiris" is the same as "Ooni" the Yoruba royal title of "Ile-Ife kings".

"Omi" an ancient Egyptian word for "water" is the same as "Omi" ancient Yoruba word for "water".

"Dudu" refers in ancient Egypt to the "Black" image of Osiris and is the same as "Dudu" the Yoruba word for "Black".

"Ash" an ancient Egyptian for "invocation" is the same as "Ashe" an ancient Yoruba word for "invocation"

"Budo" an ancient Egyptian word for "dwelling place" is the same as "Ibudo" an ancient Yoruba word for "dwelling place"

"Kot" an ancient Egyptian word for "build" is the same as "Ko" an Yoruba word for "build"

"Horuw" a middle Egyptian word for "head" is the same as "Oruwo" an ancient Yoruba word (especially Ijebu word) for "head".

"Kurubu" an ancient Egyptian word for "round" is the same as "Kurubu" an ancient Yoruba word for "round".

"Khu" an ancient Egyptian word for "to kill" is the same as "Ku" an ancient Yoruba word for "die".

"Ak" an ancient Egyptian word for "male" is the same as "Ako" an ancient Yoruba word for "male".

"Ro" an ancient Egyptian word for "talk" is the same as "Ro" an ancient Yoruba word for "talk".

"Edjo" an ancient Egyptian word for "cobra" is the same as "Ejo" an ancient Yoruba word for "snake".

"Anubis" an ancient Egyptian word for "an evil deity" is the same as "Onubi" an ancient Yoruba word for "a evil person".

"Kan" an ancient Egyptian word for "one" is the same as "Okan" a Yoruba word for "one".

"Shekiri" an ancient Egyptian word for "a water god" is the same as "Shekiri" a Yoruba for word for "a water god".

[It appears the name "Itsekiri" comes from this Egyptian god "Shekiri" especially considering the migration acknowledged by the Itsekiris' oral tradition which I made reference to in my earlier reply]

There are even more evidence, but the foregoing ones are sufficient (I believe) to establish firmly that there is an Egypt-Itsekiri-"Yoruba" link; or more specifically that the "Yorubas" and Itsekiris migrated from ancient Egypt; or even more specifically that the migrations southwards from ancient Egypt relates to different home-comings by a group of people whose original abode was the "Nigeria" region.

Thank you for your time ...

oboy! this is good, even in warri I didnt know all dis, well i dont know how true this but there's definitely many strong points, so with this I guess its really likely that itsekiris are probably from yoruba after all, u do well

but, im nt sayin ure wrong, look at it dis way, the fact that the yorubas came from egypt but we cant say the yorubas are egyptians, they came from there but are seperate culture now, same thing, as close as they may ve been once, the current itsekiri culture is far diff from yoruba(even d ilaje of ondo), so i feel if we are going to see itsekiri n yoruba d same then its jus lyk seeing bini/esan/etsako as the same

1 Like

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by TAO11(f): 12:14pm On Nov 07, 2018
fero007:

oboy! this is good, even in warri I didnt know all dis, well i dont know how true this but there's definitely many strong points, so with this I guess its really likely that itsekiris are probably from yoruba after all, u do well

but, im nt sayin ure wrong, look at it dis way, the fact that the yorubas came from egypt but we cant say the yorubas are egyptians, they came from there but are seperate culture now, same thing, as close as they may ve been once, the current itsekiri culture is far diff from yoruba(even d ilaje of ondo), so i feel if we are going to see itsekiri n yoruba d same then its jus lyk seeing bini/esan/etsako as the same

You can verify those claims yourself that's why they mostly have been referenced (that's one interesting or call it tough thing about academia wink).

Your question of whether or not the Yorubas are Egyptian was precisely one aspect of what my piece above showed; that is, the Itsekiris and the "Yorubas" at large are in fact ancient Egyptian Negros.

Moreover, the space (of years) separating their stay in the south of Nigeria from their stay at Egypt can not in anyway possibly be compared with the space (of years) separating their stay in Ile-Ife from their initial stay in Itsekiri (for example). The former is significantly way more than the latter. Even the number of years it will take to migrate from Egypt down the Atlantic coast will quickly indicate this to be the case as compared to the number of years it will take them to migrate from say Itsekiri land to Ile-Ife.

In essence the Itsekiri and the "Yorubas" at large are one and the same people that have only been separated by geographical location, time, cultural evolution and influences from closer neighbors, etc. But yet in spite of all these barriers the identicality of being the same people is still being jealously preserved in their oral tradition, religion, language, etc. as have been demonstrated in my earlier replies.
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by Opiletool(m): 2:33pm On Nov 07, 2018
TAO11:

Thank you Opiletool for your time, and I commend your curiosity even more.

On the Yoruba-Egypt link, the standard submission of modern historians and anthropologists is what I summarized above. They all agree on a North-East Africa [precisely ancient Egypt and ancient Nubia (a colony of ancient Egypt)] origin for the people of Southern Nigeria (the Itshekiris and the "Yorubas" to be precise).

*They examined the oral traditions of these people (which admits they are from that North-East region of Africa) and corroborated them with archeological evidences, written documentation from other parts of the world (e.g. Egypt itself).

For example, I myself once had a similar discussion with a friend from Ethiopia (North-East Africa) in which I told him about Oduduwa. Guess what! He was shocked at hearing the name, and he himself shocked me when he informed me that the word "Oduduwa" (same spelling, same pronunciation) is a word in his own language (Oromo language), meaning "One who speaks" probably on behalf of others.

We talked further, and I mentioned "Oromiyan". Again, there was similar reaction from both of us, because he told me that "Oromiyan" (which they spell using English letters as: Oromiya or Oromia) is the name of the district or region of Ethiopia he hailed from. He further told me that Oromo people are not restricted to Ethiopia, he said they are found in other parts of East and North-East Africa.

*They examined the culture and religion of these people (the ancient "Yoruba" people and the ancient Egyptians) and found striking resemblance (which further bolsters other available evidence such as the fact that the ancient Egyptians and Nubians were Negros, etc.). For instance, many pre-dynastic Egyptian deities are still been worshipped in parts of "Yoruba" land up till today. they also are present among the Itsekiris till today.

(A) Some of the deities include: "Adumu" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Adumu" or "Adamu" ); "Hepi" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Ipi" ); "Ausar" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Ausa" ); "Horise" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Oritse" or "Orisa" ), and "S'mi" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Smi" or "Simi" ); "Nam" (known among and the Itsekiris and "Yorubas" as "Inama" ); etc.

[The Itsekiris had great religious influence on its immediate neighbors (including the Binis) by initiating them into many of these gods and belief systems. From the "Umale-Okun" worship by the Edo, to the "Agban" ancestral worship by the Urhobos recently in 1949, as well as the "Ipi" system by the Urhobos even more recently in 2005.].

(B) Bronze/Brass casting (using a method known today as the "lost wax process" is another unique and distinctive aspect of the culture (art) of the Yorubas (the Ifes precisely) that is strikingly similar to that of the ancient Egyptians.

[Although some may contend that the Binis also casted metal, it is important to remind them that the Binis' oral tradition admits that casting was taught to them by Ile-Ife. The Binis tradition mentioned that Igue-Igha (or Igueghae) was sent from Uhe (Ife) (at the beseech of Oba Oguola to his spiritual overlord, the Ooni) to civilize them into the art and science of metal casting. The purpose was to enable the Binis start producing themselves, instead of being entirely dependent on importation from Ife. Igue-Igha is still venerated in Bini up till today at his shrine at the house of Chief Ine].

[Also, others may contend that the excavations of artifacts in SouthEast Nigeria shows that metal casting was not unique and distinctive to the "Yorubas". It is important to remind such people that the Igbos, according to their own admittance, are not autochthonous to their present area, their migration (most likely from outside Africa) came later after their present area have been visited by earlier migrants (the "Yoruba" and Itsekiri migrants from Egypt).
In fact some evidences which proves this to be the case include: (1) The presence of places called "Ife" in the South East Nigeria (which appears to corroborate Ile-Ife's tradition that there have been many Ife's before Ile-Ife such as Ife-Oodaye, Ife-Oyeelagbo, Otu-Ife, among others); (2) The claim found in some Igbo people's traditions that Oduduwa left to Ile-Ife from Nri; (3) The fact that some of the Igb-Ukwu artifacts (glass and carnelian beads specifically) have been found to be strikingly identical to those of Old Cairo (Egypt); (4) and lastly, the dating of the Ugbo-Ukwu artifacts shows a earlier date as compared to those excavated at Ile-Ife. All these shows that the Bronze and other artifacts from the South East were remnants of a civilization (The "Yorubas' " ) that had earlier visited the area centuries before the Igbo's arrival. The Iwo Eleru burial artifact (South West Nigeria) with a radiocarbon date of about 12,000 B.C. also further bolsters the evidence of the "Yorubas' " earlier presence in Southern Nigeria].

(C) Dance is another aspect of the unique and distinctive cultural similarity between the "Yoruba" and the Egyptian cultures. Those who have watched the Zar ritual dance conducted by special women among Fellahin in Egypt saw the replica of Yoruba dance during religious activities. A place called "Owodaiye" in today's Ethiopia (of which Egypt was at some point in history a colony) also further strengthens the link.

[Many experts have argued that the different batches of migration from Egypt to the Atlantic coast which started as early as the Hyksos' invasion of Egypt (2,000 B.C. to 1,500 B.C.) signifies different home-coming migration of a group of people who knew that their ancestors had migrated northwards from this "Nigeria" area. The evidence adduced by these scholars being that archaeological finds shows that the "Nigeria" region have been continuously occupied from around 40,000 B.C. to 65,000 B.C. by the Nok culture who have been argued to be of course the original inhabitants of southern Nigeria some of which first migrated northwards and then later southwards in the different waves of migration of the "Yorubas"].

(D) Some scholars have considered the direction of burial of the ancient Egyptians as evidence of Nigeria as the original home. When the ancient Egyptian died their corpses are buried with their faces facing South West (the direction of West Africa --- home of the "Yorubas" ).

(E) It was only recently I found out from a friend doing their PhD in Biostatistics in a U.S. University that the sickle cell disorder is generally known in medical discourse to be a trait peculiar to West Africans. However, a recent analysis of the genes of a minority Negro people in Egypt shows the presence of the trait.

(F) Another evidence of link is the landmark figure known as Shango, the Alaafin (arguably Olu-Afin) of Oyo whose mom is Tapa. Shango actually not only ruled a West African empire, he also ruled in the North of Africa.
(I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw this information been confirmed in sources outside Africa. What led to my perplexity when I first saw this was the very later date that has usually been speculated for most of these figures: Shango, Oromiyan, Oduduwa, etc. for instance the staff of Oromiyan is shown by radiocarbon dating to be centuries earlier than the date generally speculated to mark the start of the Oduduwa dynasty. The corrections and revisions are just being made only recently).

Shango according to this source was well known beyond Africa. Stories were told about Oba Koso (an ethnonym of Shango). Pedral quoted Morie's work in the Coptic text - "Obba Kousso" as he was known, noting that he "was King Shango and a king of Kush who ruled north and west of Africa but was born in Ife". Morie had no idea where Ife was.

(G) Another evidence is a Yoruba Osun serpentine staff crowned by a bird, and carried by initiates of Obàtálá which bears striking resemblance to Caduceus, the traditional symbol of the Greek god Hermes. But the Greek pantheon and theology itself was influenced by no other than the Egyptian's.

(H) I will close out by adducing linguistic evidence. There are very many word-word correlation between Egyptian and Yoruba languages which not only sound similarly but also having similar/identical meanings. The similarity/identicality are too striking and too numerous to be simply explained away by coincidence.

The following are few examples:

"Ere" an ancient Egyptian word for "Python/Serpent" is the same as "Ere" an ancient Yoruba word for "Python/Serpent".

"Horise" an ancient Egyptian word for "a great god" is the same as "Orise" an ancient Yoruba word for "a great god".

"Sen" an ancient Egyptian word for "a group of worshippers" is the same as "Sen" an ancient Yoruba word (especially Ijebu word) for "to worship".

"Ta" an ancient Egyptian word for "sell" is the same as "Ta" an ancient Yoruba word for "sell".

"Sueg" an ancient Egyptian word for "a fool" is the same as "Suegbe" an ancient Yoruba word for "a fool".

"Enru" an ancient Egyptian word for "fear" is the same as "Eru" an ancient Yoruba word for "fear"

"Kun" an ancient Egyptian word for "a brave man" is the same as "Ekun" a Yoruba title for "a brave man".

"Osiris" an ancient Egyptian word "water god" is the same as "Oshiri" a Yoruba word for a "water god".

"Oni" an Egyptian title of "Osiris" is the same as "Ooni" the Yoruba royal title of "Ile-Ife kings".

"Omi" an ancient Egyptian word for "water" is the same as "Omi" ancient Yoruba word for "water".

"Dudu" refers in ancient Egypt to the "Black" image of Osiris and is the same as "Dudu" the Yoruba word for "Black".

"Ash" an ancient Egyptian for "invocation" is the same as "Ashe" an ancient Yoruba word for "invocation"

"Budo" an ancient Egyptian word for "dwelling place" is the same as "Ibudo" an ancient Yoruba word for "dwelling place"

"Kot" an ancient Egyptian word for "build" is the same as "Ko" an Yoruba word for "build"

"Horuw" a middle Egyptian word for "head" is the same as "Oruwo" an ancient Yoruba word (especially Ijebu word) for "head".

"Kurubu" an ancient Egyptian word for "round" is the same as "Kurubu" an ancient Yoruba word for "round".

"Khu" an ancient Egyptian word for "to kill" is the same as "Ku" an ancient Yoruba word for "die".

"Ak" an ancient Egyptian word for "male" is the same as "Ako" an ancient Yoruba word for "male".

"Ro" an ancient Egyptian word for "talk" is the same as "Ro" an ancient Yoruba word for "talk".

"Edjo" an ancient Egyptian word for "cobra" is the same as "Ejo" an ancient Yoruba word for "snake".

"Anubis" an ancient Egyptian word for "an evil deity" is the same as "Onubi" an ancient Yoruba word for "a evil person".

"Kan" an ancient Egyptian word for "one" is the same as "Okan" a Yoruba word for "one".

"Shekiri" an ancient Egyptian word for "a water god" is the same as "Shekiri" a Yoruba for word for "a water god".

[It appears the name "Itsekiri" comes from this Egyptian god "Shekiri" especially considering the migration acknowledged by the Itsekiris' oral tradition which I made reference to in my earlier reply]

There are even more evidence, but the foregoing ones are sufficient (I believe) to establish firmly that there is an Egypt-Itsekiri-"Yoruba" link; or more specifically that the "Yorubas" and Itsekiris migrated from ancient Egypt; or even more specifically that the migrations southwards from ancient Egypt relates to different home-comings by a group of people whose original abode was the "Nigeria" region.

Thank you for your time ...

Wow. I like the way you established your claim from every aspect. Thank you so much for sharing the knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by Opiletool(m): 3:07pm On Nov 07, 2018
fero007:

You see, one thing I have come to conclude about this migrations in the southern part of Nigeria is that, the immigrants mostly meet other people at their settlements today. The later might heavily influence the former, or vice versa. Take for instance Ifon in Ondo state (beside owo) was said to have migrated from the Ifon in Osun state. The migration was said to have been caused by the dispute between two prince's, one of them left the kingship thrown to the other, taking the crown with him, and followed by his sympathisers. But today, their dialect is so different. While the Ifon in Osun retain its original tongue, the one in Ondo state speaks a dialect very similar to that of Owo.

To me, I believe that the prince that left with his people must have met with the original settlers of the town, and may have, due to his powerful status or some other tricky method, been made king. This is not far from the truth, as it is evident even in other ancient cultures such as the Greek. I do not know if you have heard or read 'Oedipus the King' by Sophocles (Adapted by Ola-Rotimi as 'The Gods are not to blame') , such a scenario played out in the drama. The King and his people been few, must have accepted the culture and language of the people he met, with a little influence of his on culture.

Another instance is that of Ikere and Ado-Ekiti. You might have heard that the lineage of the ruling families In these towns came from Bini. I could remember been told the history of Ado by an elderly woman, it happened that the former ruler of the town was informed by the oracle that a powerful person will pay him a visit, and was warned to be cautious, the advice he failed to heed, which consequently led to his murder by the visitor who later assumed the throne, and his lineage still ruling till today. Similar thing happened in Ikere, some people are yet to come to terms with this issue, particularly the family of the original ruler of the town. Hence in Ikere today, you have two kings (the Ogoga and the Olukere) claiming to be the recognised one in the town. I guess the culture of the people must have been so strong that that of the immigrants were unable to influence penetrate.

In my Opinion, similar cases are witnessed in most migration story of these towns. Another notable case is that of Lagos-bin, Bini-Ife. So, the itshekiri-bini story might be similar.

Consider the fact that the Itshekiri, Ilaje, and Ijebus speak almost the same. Closer to them are Okitipupa, Ikale, Ondo, Owo, Akure, Ekiti, Ijesha etc. If someone from Ekiti or Ilaje speaks, someone from Oyo fill Jae some difficulty understanding him/her. So you can not classify the Yoruba language under a singular umbrella, because it is a language with lots of variety. Even, an Itshekiri speaker and an Ijebu or Ilaje speaker will understand each other, than Ijebu person talking to someone from Oyo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by rhektor(m): 4:11am On Nov 08, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

Is he in afenifere?

So whoever is not in Afenifere is not Yorùbá? What is wrong with this dude sef. You saw his picture dressed as one of them yet you still want to live in denial, this alone showed that you lied about meeting people who reject the name you called them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by IkpuMmadu: 7:02am On Nov 08, 2018
rhektor:

So whoever is not in Afenifere is not Yorùbá? What is wrong with this dude sef. You saw his picture dressed as one of them yet you still want to live in denial, this alone showed that you lied about meeting people who reject the name you called them

Stop defending nonsense

He hasn't said he is a Yoruba , he hasn't identified with a Yoruba culture and he is not in afenifere

So wetin come make him a Yoruba elder
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by OlaoChi: 11:46am On Nov 08, 2018
Tushkito:

Just look at this hypocrite, u opened a thread about how igbos are lost yet you come here and attack the op of writing about yorubas?

Because my thread was based out of reality not imagination and failed division tactics
Did igbos not cheer Nnamdi Kanu's nonsense idea of creating a Jewish state? That igbos are jews?
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by rhektor(m): 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

Stop defending nonsense

He hasn't said he is a Yoruba , he hasn't identified with a Yoruba culture and he is not in afenifere

So wetin come make him a Yoruba elder
Stop being condescending Ogbeni, if you have no job go get one
I guess the picture on thta his dress is the picture of sultan of Sokoto or probably its the head of Aguleri.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by IkpuMmadu: 5:26pm On Nov 08, 2018
rhektor:

I guess the picture on thta his dress is the picture of sultan of Sokoto or probably its the head of Aguleri.

NA LIE

rhektor:

HAVE YHEARD OF THE SAYING THAT THE HOOD DOESN'T MAKRE A MONK...SO BUHARI WEARING IGBO CLOTHES MAKES HIM AN IGBO MAN,.... OR DINO WEARING AN AGBADA ( HAUSA CLOTH) WITH YORUBA DESIGN MAKES HIM A YORUBA...BROS TRY GET SENSE NAAAAA

FIND A SUPERIOR ARGUEMENT...THIS IS TOO WATERY
Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by IkpuMmadu: 5:26pm On Nov 08, 2018
IGBO MAN

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by IkpuMmadu: 5:32pm On Nov 08, 2018
Okun Peoples is the term generally used to describe groups of Yoruba speaking communities, ... Furthermore, some still hold the opinion that they are not Yoruba

The term Yoruba was not used to refer to an ethnic group or a set of people with related dialect until it was used in the 16th-century treatise written by the Songhai writer, scholar, and political provocateur, **Ahmad Baba al-Massufi al-Timbukti. ** The term was originally used and restricted to people of the Oyo empire. It is more of an identity for a language than of a group or race.

Its etymology just like the many histories of the Yoruba is unsubstantiated by historians. The veracity of folklore is believed as a form of patriotism and pride than a standard reference to history. The standard reference book for Yoruba history wasn't written until 1921 by Samuel Johnson and Dr. Obadiah Johnson. Although the Yoruba language is older than the English language which emerged in the 5th century about 1,500 years after the Yoruba language it was codified until the 1930s.

The name is believed to have emanated from indigenous ethnonyms Ọyọ (Oyo) or Yagba - two Yoruba-speaking groups along the northern borders. The name was adopted by Sultan Muhammad Bello (who later became the second Sultan of Sokoto) who referred to Oyo people as "Yoruba" in his treatise on the Oyo Empire. Yoruba is popularized by Hausa usage and the 19th-century ethnography written in Arabic and

1 Like

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by IkpuMmadu: 5:35pm On Nov 08, 2018
WHI OKUN DONT LIKE THE YORUBA NAME

1. Yoruba was cuin from the word “Yarriba” used by the early Huasa slave merchants to identify their slaves from the oyo dahomey axis. Yoruba was identity of Slaves.
2. The word Yoruba have been ignorantly use in and out of Nigeria to tag a people that do not inherit the ancestral slave statues, especially in the south west. Yorubas were major product of labour, captured and bought by Europeans and shipped to the Americas during translatlantic slave trade 16th and 18th century. Most were shipped to haiti, cuba etc
3. The tag “Yoruba” can be liken to the tag “Nigga” used on African Americans.
4. Yoruba is a negative derogative name that should be ambolish because free men dont maintain the identity of a slave.

To call somebody Yoruba is to insult that person, you either call him an Egba Man, an Oyo Man, an Awori or whatever clan he is from, don't call him Yoruba because it is like calling him "SLAVE" do they really answer when you call them that name? Maybe that man that answers you don't know the root meaning of that word Yarriba and how the lingua came about.
South west of Nigeria:They are either Egba, Awori, Ijebu, Oyo, Ife etc men and women
It is like calling all Black men in America Niggas, why do you call them that name because you can not identify where they are from in Africa. Because slave masters from the north couldn't identify where each clave was from, they called them YARRIBA, like, how many YARRIBA (slaves) do you have and the answer would be 10 or 20.

For political simplicity then, we were called Bendel, was Bendel a tradition, culture or heritage? Was it a language? But all over, people from that region were called Bendelites. that is exactly what Yoruba means, Slaves according to the Hausa-Fulani identity for them, it does not mean where they were from, even if they were Ibo or Ijaw, they were Yarriba (slaves.) This name was then adopted for political reason because there was now millions of slaves that returned from slavery, that had nowhere to go but to stay in Oyo where they were put in slave camps before taken across the Atlantic. Same thing happened in Liberia and Free Town.

For lack of self-knowledge, blacks in America still call themselves NIggas, is Nigga a pleasant word? But it was used to identify black slaves from Africa. Yoruba was a term used to identify slaves bound for the Americas by the Hausa man, he called them Yarriba. the question is, how did the name become famous with the people around the western part of today Niger-Area?https://ihuanedo.ning.com/m/group/discussion?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A145857

1 Like

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by rhektor(m): 5:52pm On Nov 08, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

NA LIE

HAVE YHEARD OF THE SAYING THAT THE HOOD DOESN'T MAKRE A MONK...SO BUHARI WEARING IGBO CLOTHES MAKES HIM AN IGBO MAN,.... OR DINO WEARING AN AGBADA ( HAUSA CLOTH) WITH YORUBA DESIGN MAKES HIM A YORUBA...BROS TRY GET SENSE NAAAAA

OK let me ask you the same question "have you ever heard him say he's not Yorùbá"?

1 Like

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by rhektor(m): 5:56pm On Nov 08, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

NA LIE

OK let me ask you the same question "have you ever heard him say he's not Yorùbá"?

1 Like

Re: Why Do They Hate Been Called Yoruba by rhektor(m): 6:02pm On Nov 08, 2018
IkpuMmadu:
WHI OKUN DONT LIKE THE YORUBA NAME

1. Yoruba was cuin from the word “Yarriba” used by the early Huasa slave merchants to identify their slaves from the oyo dahomey axis. Yoruba was identity of Slaves.
2. The word Yoruba have been ignorantly use in and out of Nigeria to tag a people that do not inherit the ancestral slave statues, especially in the south west. Yorubas were major product of labour, captured and bought by Europeans and shipped to the Americas during translatlantic slave trade 16th and 18th century. Most were shipped to haiti, cuba etc
3. The tag “Yoruba” can be liken to the tag “Nigga” used on African Americans.
4. Yoruba is a negative derogative name that should be ambolish because free men dont maintain the identity of a slave.

To call somebody Yoruba is to insult that person, you either call him an Egba Man, an Oyo Man, an Awori or whatever clan he is from, don't call him Yoruba because it is like calling him "SLAVE" do they really answer when you call them that name? Maybe that man that answers you don't know the root meaning of that word Yarriba and how the lingua came about.
South west of Nigeria:They are either Egba, Awori, Ijebu, Oyo, Ife etc men and women
It is like calling all Black men in America Niggas, why do you call them that name because you can not identify where they are from in Africa. Because slave masters from the north couldn't identify where each clave was from, they called them YARRIBA, like, how many YARRIBA (slaves) do you have and the answer would be 10 or 20.

For political simplicity then, we were called Bendel, was Bendel a tradition, culture or heritage? Was it a language? But all over, people from that region were called Bendelites. that is exactly what Yoruba means, Slaves according to the Hausa-Fulani identity for them, it does not mean where they were from, even if they were Ibo or Ijaw, they were Yarriba (slaves.) This name was then adopted for political reason because there was now millions of slaves that returned from slavery, that had nowhere to go but to stay in Oyo where they were put in slave camps before taken across the Atlantic. Same thing happened in Liberia and Free Town.

For lack of self-knowledge, blacks in America still call themselves NIggas, is Nigga a pleasant word? But it was used to identify black slaves from Africa. Yoruba was a term used to identify slaves bound for the Americas by the Hausa man, he called them Yarriba. the question is, how did the name become famous with the people around the western part of today Niger-Area?https://ihuanedo.ning.com/m/group/discussion?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A145857

Dude where are you getting this trash from?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibadan City Has 20 Of The 23 Radio Stations In Oyo State / Help Please! Snow In Jos? / Endangered African American Musical Instruments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 292
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.