Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! (5586 Views)

My Dad Wishes Me Death, Please Help / My Dad Often Gets Unclad In The House And I Don't Lyk It / See What My Dad Found In His Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by cramsvill(m): 11:31am On Jul 18, 2010
Please house i need help on what to tell my dad. Although he has seen me through school and all but i am just starting my life and believe he should understand that. I got a lucrative job in 2008 and have have dished out close to a million bucks to when my dad had some financial difficulty last year. Although he promised to pay back but am not counting on that. Now he needs some money to run his account so as to take care of some business which @ the moment i dont have and i dont know what to say to him.
My colleagues have all gotten cars while some already rented their own apartment but am yet to do any of these. Am just confused.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by dealordea(m): 12:17pm On Jul 18, 2010
The Bikini bottom of my Craby vs spongebob episode, My best advise, Let him know your present situation,
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by mutter(f): 12:18pm On Jul 18, 2010
many of us are in the same situation.
Please let him know that yo have projects like getting married, a house etc, You need to be diplomatic.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by makajibbz(m): 1:40pm On Jul 18, 2010
Get him a job or give him means to make the money himself, that you also have important things to do with cash!
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Dijaay(f): 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2010
Try and explain things to him. let me know your situation, what you are going through.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by coolier(f): 9:56pm On Jul 18, 2010
cramsvill:

Now he needs some money to run his account so as to take care of some business which @ the moment i dont have and i dont know what to say to him.

Well I believe you cannot give what you do not have so maybe you should start by telling him that.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 19, 2010
@poster
explain your situation to your dad openly and find a SUBTLE way to ask him for that Nmillion he said he was going to pay back.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Outstrip(f): 5:33am On Jul 19, 2010
Forget the money you have already given him and tell him honestly that you do not have the money. He does not need to know how much you make or what you do with your money. You do not have the money. Period
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Okijajuju1(m): 5:57am On Jul 19, 2010
I'm sure when your father was training you through school, feeding your ungrateful behind, clothing you and buying you all those nice barbies and things, he did not ever come on Nairaland to complain to us that your school fees were unaffordable or that he had to almost suck someones nuts to give you pocket money.

How ungrateful can you spoilt kids get. So let me guess, 1 million naira is enough payment for all his troubles so he might as well go to hell abi?!!

Heres an advice, send him a txt msg (I'm guessin you bought him a Blackberry also) and tell him to go to hell. Or go on his facebook profile (assuming he can use the internet), and tell him to go and farm.

RUBBISH!!

angry
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Iranoladun(f): 8:09am On Jul 19, 2010
@Okija_juju his dad sent him to school and spent money training him because that was his obligation to his son as a parent.

The poster should take care of his dad within his financial capability. Explain your financial situation to him
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 19, 2010
Okija_juju:

I'm sure when your father was training you through school, feeding your ungrateful behind, clothing you and buying you all those nice barbies and things, he did not ever come on Nairaland to complain to us that your school fees were unaffordable or that he had to almost suck someones nuts to give you pocket money.

How ungrateful can you spoilt kids get. So let me guess, 1 million naira is enough payment for all his troubles so he might as well go to hell abi?!!

Heres an advice, send him a txt msg (I'm guessin you bought him a Blackberry also) and tell him to go to hell. Or go on his facebook profile (assuming he can use the internet), and tell him to go and farm.

RUBBISH!!

angry

are you saying that the father should bleed his son dry until he sees fit that his son can get on with his life?!

typical Nigerians thinking about children like an investment. . . . . . . . . . . . . parents paying for their children growing up is called RESPONSIBILITIES and i doubt anyone forced the father to have kids!!!!!

the kid doesnt owe his father shiit (financially), its simple courtesy that will have him help the father (which he already did), nothing else.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 19, 2010
Iranoladun:

@Okija_juju his dad sent him to school and spent money training him because that was his obligation to his son as a parent.

The poster should take care of his dad within his financial capability. Explain your financial situation to him

And what is the obligation of a son to a parent undecided

Granted, the fact that the father trained him in school and all that is not enough reason for him to exploit his son!

But the table are truned now. His father is his responsibility!

cramsvill:

Please house i need help on what to tell my dad. Although he has seen me through school and all but i am just starting my life and believe he should understand that. I got a lucrative job in 2008 and have have dished out close to a million bucks to when my dad had some financial difficulty last year. Although he promised to pay back but am not counting on that. Now he needs some money to run his account so as to take care of some business which @ the moment i dont have and i dont know what to say to him.
My colleagues have all gotten cars while some already rented their own apartment but am yet to do any of these. Am just confused.

I understand your predicament, but the fact remains that you have to help your father.

Yes you are starting your life and you have to be like your friends, but you have to understand that your father is equally improtant. You dont have to give him everything you have, tell him your situation and make him understand that you have issues you have to attend to, and then give him what you can spare!

But don't turn him down, even God would not like that!
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by snowdrops(m): 11:53am On Jul 19, 2010
Okija_juju:

RUBBISH!!

angry
Well done mate. Nice one. Some people can be so ungrateful. They conviniently forget what their parents went through to make them who they are today. Assuming the father was well to do and he was parasiting off him, he would not run here asking for advice on how to bleed his father dry.

@ poster

Sorry i have no sympathy for you. Continue looking after your father. It is a priviledge to cater for ones parents. And the almighty God will open the showers of blessing for you. Call me old fashioned.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by helovesme(f): 12:32pm On Jul 19, 2010
Okija_juju:

RUBBISH!!

angry

True

snowdrops:

Well done mate. Nice one. Some people can be so ungrateful. They conviniently forget what their parents went through to make them who they are today. Assuming the father was well to do and he was parasiting off him, he would not run here asking for advice on how to bleed his father dry.

@ poster

Sorry i have no sympathy for you. Continue looking after your father. It is a priviledge to cater for ones parents. And the almighty God will open the showers of blessing for you. Call me old fashioned.

God bless you.

poster, so it is now a crime to support your father when he is experiencing financial difficulties? you have no shame. when did it become a sin to cater for one's parents and stand by them in times of need?

if he had sent you to teacher's training college or government technical college, oshogbo will you have the lucrative job you have now. to those that are saying that all he did for you are only his responsibility as a parent, then he should have sent you to learn a trade like sewing.

so you want your father to become a pauper and feed from hand to mouth or come crying to you for money? what i will suggest you do is give him advice on how to run his business. there might be something wrong that he is doing with the investment that you can help put right. afterall, if the business becomes profitable, he will not have any reason to rely on you.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Damysa(f): 12:53pm On Jul 19, 2010
Helping one's parent is not a bad idea but parent too should try and consider their children.

Poster should be sure the dad is not squandering the money otherwise that is not good

wot happened to the Nmillion u gave him the other time?? be sure he is utilizing the money well.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by IyaBasira: 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2010
Okija_juju:

RUBBISH!!

angry

I think you misunderstood what the poster was saying. I'm sure its not that he doesn't want to help his dad, but that he has run out of the means to do so! Which child would refuse their parents money if they asked? And besides, he said he was just starting out in life and he hasnt been able to do any of the necessary things yet because of the money he lent to his dad in the past. I'm really sure he's not being ungrateful like you said, and you don't have to talk to him in that manner. If he had the money to give, he wouldn't be here on Nl asking for advice!
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 19, 2010
Mr BrownJ, i reason slightly with what you said! @ OP i was once in that situation and my problem was that i was too open with exposing my income to my detriment.I felt i could save the world and did not manage their expectations well, at a point i was strugging to make savings . I was the only one in the family my Dad would request for money from just becos he feels i have a very soft spot, though i have 3 other sibblings who are working.Yes atimes parents can be too demanding thinking that you do not know what to do with money! God help you if you are still single cos the conclusion is that you have no responsibility.Training/raising your God given children IMO is a responsibility as the children did not apply or choose their parents for themselves. Yes ,from time to time when my Dad asks for money ,i also remind him that while i was growing up ,going to school et al , it was'nt all i asked for that i was given.In that same vein ,i do not always give ALL he asks for especially when it is not convenient.
My point is ,try to manage his expectations, do not give the impression that the pay is too much that you do not know what to do with money. When your Dad asked for a milli if you had given him 500k am sure by now you would still have small bucks to give him.
The formular i use now is this , if my Dad asks for 500k i give 50% knowing that he maybe aiming for the moon and when he doesnt get the moon prolly he gets the stars. Meaning that it cld actually be 200k that he needs but asks for 500k such that if you dont give him the 500k  then the least cld be 1/2.This has been working for me, also try to apply diplomacy ,explain respectfully to them when you don't have , because if the push comes to shove ?? atimes it is OYO tongue
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by coolier(f): 9:53pm On Jul 19, 2010
Okija_juju:

That is his responsibility as a father.

Iranoladun:

The poster should take care of his dad within his financial capability.

I agree with you.

Ujujoan:

But the table are truned now. His father is his responsibility!
I understand your predicament, but the fact remains that you have to help your father.

No, is his father handicapped and cannot look for work that he has to solely depend on his son? Or maybe we should ask how old he is, too elderly to be able to get back on his feet.
He can only help his father if he has the means and wherewithal to do so. For goodness sake the guy said he has no money now, when he had, he gave freely, you're not suggesting he steals, are you? just to be able to satisfy his father? and if you're lucky he works in a bank he could misappropriate funds and end up in prison!

helovesme:

poster, so it is now a crime to support your father when he is experiencing financial difficulties? you have no shame. when did it become a sin to cater for one's parents and stand by them in times of need?

if he had sent you to teacher's training college or government technical college, oshogbo will you have the lucrative job you have now. to those that are saying that all he did for you are only his responsibility as a parent, then he should have sent you to learn a trade like sewing.

so you want your father to become a pauper and feed from hand to mouth or come crying to you for money? what i will suggest you do is give him advice on how to run his business. there might be something wrong that he is doing with the investment that you can help put right. afterall, if the business becomes profitable, he will not have any reason to rely on you.

Spare me the sentiments and quit these kiddies talk angry.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by OYINKANSOW: 11:08pm On Jul 19, 2010
Please do your possible best for your father. Explain to him whenever you cannot help out. I guess your parents (like other good Nigerian parents just assuming) must have stressed themselves out to give you the best start in life.

Most parents I know will withdraw the last kobo in their bank accounts to pay their children's school fees if need be or even borrow or even offer themselves as labour. Some will happily go without luxuries.

You may never know the amount of sacrifices he made for you. Training you was his responsibility but if he didn't what would you have done? He could have decided to spend his money on booze or women or even abandon you. But he invested in you and saw it through to the end. There are lots of irresponsible fathers but sometimes you find out that their children still honour,pamper and spoil them.

You should be able to reciprocate not just to receive their full, whole-hearted blessings(which is sooooooooooooooo important) but to serve as examples to your future kids. You should not be stingy with your father. He shouldn't lack anything you can give or that you can sacrifice.

It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong. First help him then advise him. Anybody can make wrong investments or even be unlucky.Remember whatever you intentionally do to your parents, your kids will surely do the same to you. Shikena.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Okijajuju1(m): 7:04am On Jul 20, 2010
Training a child is a fathers responsibility abi!!

Thats a big lie,  No father owes their children anything more than food, clothing and shelter. That your father wants you to get a good education is not as a matter of responsiblity, but rather cos he is a GOOD father. Any fool can be a father, but it takes a good man to be a good father.

Lets all look at our individual fathers. I owe my dad everything I am today. He could have chosen to leave me in the useless government school where I was and which his salary/income could afford then. But NO he bent back tripple time and worked even harder to send me to the best schools he couldnt even convieniently afford, bought me the best clothes he could buy and when it came time to get a University degree, he pulled me out of the Nigerian University where I was and sent me to Ghana were I finished and today I am an engineer that can hold my own anywhere.

I dont think he owed me that much as a father, but he definitely did what other fathers rarely do for their own kids. If my dad had saved the money he used in training me in Ghana and bought a car with it, I'm sure his garage would be filled with alot of nice vehicles. I remember how my dads mood always use to change whenever it came to school fees period. Thats why I worked hard to get to were I am right now and I cant wait to start repaying his favor on me.

The poster is what she is today cos her father decided to forfeit personal luxury and give her ungrateful backside more than just food, shelter and clothing. If her dad had put the money he wasted raising her in a fixed deposit, he would not need to be borrowing money today. I will never support her cos she hasnt proven that he was a bad dad. Infact she has proven that she isnt worth the trouble the man put into raising her. Look at how no-chalantly she talked abut him training her through school. Maybe if he had let her grow up on the street and she was prostituting for a living then maybe she would appreciate the education he gave her.

Now when parents go through the added trouble of giving their children a good education and certain luxuries, they do it for the following reason:

1. Love. Cos they want you to be a complete person in the future. So you can stand on your own and compete favourably in society.
2. Independence; So you wouldnt depend on them your entire life.
3. So you will be able to take care of them in their old age when they would be too weak to fend for themselves.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 20, 2010
^^^What you are saying is not entirely correct! Your father might have put in extra effort in making you who you are, but that doesnt make him a good father. Rather it would have made him a bad one if he didn't!

And YES, it was his responsibility. Not just to give you food and shelter, but also to give the best he could offer, because that's what is expected of him. If he felt that by sending you to a school in Ghana, you'd become a better person, then it's his responsibility to do just that! Buying Cars instead would have made him nothing shorth of irresponsible!

That being said, nobody's asking him to steal for his father!

@ Coolier maybe you should go back and read my previous post.

But he has to help, to a certain level of inconvenience. But should he kill himself trying to help a father who's not in a critical situation? No!

But he should not compare himself with his friends whose parents are probably better off than his!
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 20, 2010
poster, did you explain to your dad and he failed to see reason with you? If you dont help your dad who else do you expect him to turn to? His nephews?
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by luap: 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2010
Tell Dad, to come and live with you. Cut you bills and dig in for the long haul. He is your dad and will always be until the day one of you die. Nothing better than relying or helping family. But real help is what is important.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by cramsvill(m): 7:06am On Jul 22, 2010
Thanks for the advice and positive criticism. You should understand that my dad is not a pauper and he is not handicapped as well. He is also in a good state of health and has projects that still fetch him income.

He said he needed the cash to to balance an account and at the moment my hands are tied cos i cant access funds.

Note that we are not talking about small money here. And for those saying i have to provide by all means ,you should realise that when i was in school, its not all that i need that i get, i even had to set up a small business at a point to make ends meet one time at the expense of my sturdies.

I have actually explained to my dad over the mail the challenges am facing cos i find it difficult to face him but he is yet to give me a feed back. I hope he'd accept the very little i can afford this time. Thanks
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by tiebe: 12:19pm On Jul 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

Training a child is a fathers responsibility abi!!

Thats a big lie,  No father owes their children anything more than food, clothing and shelter. That your father wants you to get a good education is not as a matter of responsiblity, but rather cos he is a GOOD father. Any fool can be a father, but it takes a good man to be a good father.

Lets all look at our individual fathers. I owe my dad everything I am today. He could have chosen to leave me in the useless government school where I was and which his salary/income could afford then. But NO he bent back tripple time and worked even harder to send me to the best schools he couldnt even convieniently afford, bought me the best clothes he could buy and when it came time to get a University degree, he pulled me out of the Nigerian University where I was and sent me to Ghana were I finished and today I am an engineer that can hold my own anywhere.

I dont think he owed me that much as a father, but he definitely did what other fathers rarely do for their own kids. If my dad had saved the money he used in training me in Ghana and bought a car with it, I'm sure his garage would be filled with alot of nice vehicles. I remember how my dads mood always use to change whenever it came to school fees period. Thats why I worked hard to get to were I am right now and I cant wait to start repaying his favor on me.

The poster is what she is today cos her father decided to forfeit personal luxury and give her ungrateful backside more than just food, shelter and clothing. If her dad had put the money he wasted raising her in a fixed deposit, he would not need to be borrowing money today. I will never support her cos she hasnt proven that he was a bad dad. Infact she has proven that she isnt worth the trouble the man put into raising her. Look at how no-chalantly she talked abut him training her through school. Maybe if he had let her grow up on the street and she was prostituting for a living then maybe she would appreciate the education he gave her.

Now when parents go through the added trouble of giving their children a good education and certain luxuries, they do it for the following reason:

1. Love. Cos they want you to be a complete person in the future. So you can stand on your own and compete favourably in society.
2. Independence; So you wouldnt depend on them your entire life.
3. So you will be able to take care of them in their old age when they would be too weak to fend for themselves.

[size=14pt]Mr. Self righteous, I hope as you de collect salary, every kobo goes 2 ur pop seeing that u owe him everything?[/size]

1 Like

Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Okijajuju1(m): 12:06am On Jul 23, 2010
ti-ebe:

[size=14pt]Mr. Self righteous, I hope as you de collect salary, every kobo goes 2 your pop seeing that u owe him everything?[/size]

You are an oko-oko dullfin

Is that the best you could comprehend from that post?!! N'pki.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by tiebe: 12:22am On Jul 23, 2010
Lol! maybe if u re-read ur post, that's the same thing you'd get from it!
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Okijajuju1(m): 2:10am On Jul 23, 2010
If you dont feel like you owe your parents that much after all they have done for you, then they must have been terrible parents.

I owe my dad as much as a lung or a kidnet should he ever have need for one.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by DeepSoul(f): 7:59am On Jul 23, 2010
^^Do you owe him your life?? If giving the lung or kidney will take your life, would you do it??

@Poster:
I understand your situation. It's a hard one. But just try and be diplomatic about it.

I loff my father very very very much! Infact I love him more than any other child in the world does their parent. cool
However, if my power no reach, e no reach!! And he'd have to understand that.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Okijajuju1(m): 11:24am On Jul 23, 2010
Deep Soul:

^^Do you owe him your life?? If giving the lung or kidney will take your life, would you do it??

@Poster:
I understand your situation. It's a hard one. But just try and be diplomatic about it.

I loff my father very very very much! Infact I love him more than any other child in the world does their parent. cool
However, if my power no reach, e no reach!! And he'd have to understand that.

Read the posters initial post. Becos of say ehn friends get moto, dats y he will not give his pops the money he is requesting. Thats wat ticked me off. No parent would want their kids to die in their place, but this dudes post just kinda pissed me off.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 23, 2010
Okija_juju:

RUBBISH!!
angry

What his father did for him - put him through college, uni, feed and clothe him etc are what a father is meant to do. That's a father's duty, and it is unconditional.

The son is struggling, and the leech is still asking for more money, despite never having paid the previous amount back! So, how long should the son be "grateful" to his dad for doing for him, what a father's meant to do for his child? When parents look after their children, are they doing so with the thought that "in 20 years time, I will extract this debt from him / her, he / she owes me"! Sometimes, it's best to think carefully, before posting.

@ Cramsvill: Please, make your father understand you can't afford to run his account for him, or get his business off the ground. Soon, you'll be looking at starting your own family. You'll need to put money aside for them, and of course your own needs. Not propping up a father that should have had his own life, and have had the prudence to have put some contingency money aside.

By all means, if you can afford to give him financial assistance, and he really needs it, then that's fine. Just be aware, your father's steady drain on your finances, will not end. It'll continue, as long as you pander to his demands.

Best of luck.
Re: My Dad Needs Money Again! Please Help! by helovesme(f): 12:07pm On Jul 23, 2010
Siena:

What his father did for him - put him through college, uni, feed and clothe him etc are what a father is meant to do. That's a father's duty, and it is unconditional.

The son is struggling, and the leech is still asking for more money, despite never having paid the previous amount back! So, how long should the son be "grateful" to his dad for doing for him, what a father's meant to do for his child? When parents look after their children, are they doing so with the thought that "in 20 years time, I will extract this debt from him / her, he / she owes me"! Sometimes, it's best to think carefully, before posting.

calling someone's father a leech is not a nice thing to say.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whose Responsibility Is It To Provide For The Family? / How Nigerians Raise Their Children / Finally Joined Nairaland After Been A Guest Reader For 8 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.