Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,007 members, 7,825,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month (1209 Views)

Pay Slip Of UBA Contract Staff Who Earns ₦‎45,000 Monthly / Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? / UK Mum Starts Naked Cleaning Service, Earns N44k Per Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 7:22pm On Oct 27, 2018
Good evening nairalanders, I earn 100k a month which amounts to 1.2 million per annum.
I just secured an apartment in yaba which cost 300k per year. I chose yaba because of its proximity to the island which is where i work.

I want to know if the rent costs too much for someone of my status.

Am I about to start living above my means? Advice needed.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by kushthecreator: 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2018
marshborn:
Good evening nairalanders, I earn 100k a month which amounts to 1.2 million per annum.
I just secured an apartment in yaba which cost 300k per year. I choose yaba because of its proximity to the island which is where i work.

Its the same thing i would do. Do you have a family, asin married or single... if single i would suggest looking for a smaller place so you can save more and buy your own land and build your own house unless u want to stay there forever.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2018
kushthecreator:

Its the same thing i would do. Do you have a family, asin married or single... if single i would suggest looking for a smaller place so you can save more and buy your own land and build your own house unless u want to stay there forever.

I am single...thanks
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 7:40pm On Oct 27, 2018
Pls I need more comments and perspectives
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by crazygod(m): 7:45pm On Oct 27, 2018
Since u're single, y not get a flat mate to share the cost with
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by 3Dee(m): 7:49pm On Oct 27, 2018
marshborn:
Pls I need more comments and perspectives

You will get diverse views here. Aside the 100k, do you get some other benefits? Since you've paid for the apartment already, there's no point leaving.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 7:52pm On Oct 27, 2018
3Dee:

You will get diverse views here. Aside the 100k, do you get some other benefits? Since you've paid for the apartment already, there's no point leaving.
Haven't paid yet...was planning on doing so next week
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 7:53pm On Oct 27, 2018
crazygod:
Since u're single, y not get a flat mate to share the cost with
Thanks
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by 3Dee(m): 7:54pm On Oct 27, 2018
marshborn:

Haven't paid yet...was planning on doing so next week

It's better you look for a room self con on the Island and pay same amount. you'll reduce transport cost and experience less stress
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 8:01pm On Oct 27, 2018
3Dee:

It's better you look for a room self con on the Island and pay same amount. you'll reduce transport cost and experience less stress
Okay nice idea...but wanted to know if the financial burden of the house rent is too much for now.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by 3Dee(m): 8:17pm On Oct 27, 2018
marshborn:

Okay nice idea...but wanted to know if the financial burden of the house rent is too much for now.

I experienced same, people castigated me for it, but I can't inconvenience myself to please people.
If you don't have any "responsibilities" the house is ok for you. Ensure you start contributing 50k every month. In a year you'll have 600k.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Geofavor(m): 8:22pm On Oct 27, 2018
in my own opinion, it's too much. You shouldn't spend more than 15% of your income on house rent alone. so, for now, 150 or at most 200 a year is okay.

1 Like

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 8:40pm On Oct 27, 2018
3Dee:

I experienced same, people castigated me for it, but I can't inconvenience myself to please people.
If you don't have any "responsibilities" the house is ok for you. Ensure you start contributing 50k every month. In a year you'll have 600k.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by OriginalKogiboy(m): 9:09pm On Oct 27, 2018
the law of income-livelehood espences states that: ABOUT YOUR ONE MONTH SALARY SHOULD PAY FOR YOUR ONE YEAR ACCOMMODATION. meaning your accommodation is expected to range from 80k to 120k else, u are working for landlord by brother. stay your level. dont compete with coleage or mate. maintein your standard. life is in stages...

1 Like

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Virginkpekus(f): 9:56pm On Oct 27, 2018
Geofavor:
in my own opinion, it's too much. You shouldn't spend more than 15% of your income on house rent alone. so, for now, 150 or at most 200 a year is okay.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Virginkpekus(f): 9:56pm On Oct 27, 2018
OriginalKogiboy:
the law of income-livelehood espences states that: ABOUT YOUR ONE MONTH SALARY SHOULD PAY FOR YOUR ONE YEAR ACCOMMODATION. meaning your accommodation is expected to range from 80k to 120k else, u are working for landlord by brother. stay your level. dont compete with coleage or mate. maintein your standard. life is in stages...
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by Jobola1: 6:19am On Oct 28, 2018
Not more than your two months salary shd pay for your rent. But Lagos is a mad city, better to stay in Yaba than to live in Iyana paja and waste all your life in the hold-up. At the end of the day, you really cant put a price on your mental wellbeing

You can try to search for cheaper options tho.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by FunnyDude(m): 6:23am On Oct 28, 2018
I don't usually comments on topic like this but I'll do.

This is what I'll told my brother as well.

Sir! it's good to live in a nice apartment. But don't you think we need to save for the raining days as you're still single?

Unless you want settle down in a year time from now. If not please get a flat mate and save that money for some business opportunities coming your way.

Assuming you told us, you have like other TWO sources of additional income then problem. But having depending on 1.2m per annum as a young guy is not ideal.

If it's me, I'll rent a room and manage so far I'm not married yet, just to keep saving. Be wise bro!

Remember, a single source of income is not healthy at all. Start saving heavily and investing in side business.
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by marshborn(m): 8:02am On Oct 28, 2018
FunnyDude:
I don't usually comments on topic like this but I'll do.

This is what I'll told my brother as well.

Sir! it's good to live in a nice apartment. But don't you think we need to save for the raining days as you're still single?

Unless you want settle down in a year time from now. If not please get a flat mate and save that money for some business opportunities coming your way.

Assuming you told us, you have like other TWO sources of additional income then problem. But having depending on 1.2m per annum as a young guy is not ideal.

If it's me, I'll rent a room and manage so far I'm not married yet, just to keep saving. Be wise bro!

Remember, a single source of income is not healthy at all. Start saving heavily and investing in side business.
Thanks for the advice
Re: How Much Rent Is Too Much For Someone Who Earns 100k A Month by davide470(m): 8:51am On Oct 28, 2018
marshborn:
I just secured an apartment in yaba which cost 300k per year. I chose yaba because of its proximity to the island which is where i work.

I feel it is Ok. Also, i am sure you have plans to either change jobs before the end of the rent and earn more or at least be promoted in your place of work with an increase in salary.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why You Shouldn’t Quit Your Day Job To Start A Business / Be Part Of The Oil And Gas Industry With Oil And Gas Training / Professional Mourners (lol)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.