Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,367 members, 7,819,319 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian (2189 Views)

Which Of These Nigerian Delicacies Is Your Most Preferred? (picture) / How I Prepared 2 Yam Delicacies. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics And Videos) / 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 28, 2018
It's rather common to hear people lay claims to certain meals being their native rights. While that may be true for certain delicacies, there are quite a few which you will find in other parts of the world albeit under completely different tags. We are all aware of the infamous Jollof rice, [s]no thanks to the superiority battle between Nigerians and Ghanaians.[/s] But that one's stale news.
This time, i am talking about delicacies you probably didn't know of. They go beyond the shores of Nigeria, and maybe even Africa as a whole, and while slight modifications may or may not have been made to each of these dishes, it is pretty much the same concept.

Here are some you might find rather interesting;

Mpotompoto (Ghana):
What better way to begin this post than with our Jollof rival.�
While Ghanaians would smack their lips in delight at the mention of this delicacy, i'm not so sure many Nigerians can relate. Unless of course you've paid a visit to our neighbours and have found out that Mpoto Mpoto is basically yam pottage or asaro [/i]as Yorubas call it. If you don't believe me, do a Youtube search, you'll discover both meals use similar ingredients as well as techniques. Cool, isn't it?

Biryani (India):
Many Nigerians believe our legendary [i]rice concoction
is a meal meant for students and people on a restricted budget, i'm pretty certain Indians would disagree. Chances are if you hosted your Indian friend and plated steaming hot rice concoction, he would be more than excited as this quick meal bears a striking resemblance with the much relished Indian Biryani. There is definitely a bit of modification here and there regarding spices but for the most part, it's very similar.
P.S: Throw in some boiled eggs and you could pass for an Indian chef. No jokes!!

Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by hisgrace090: 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2018
Not appetizing.
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 28, 2018
Nyembwe/Moambé Sauce (Gabon):
The Gabonese make this traditional delicacy by boiling fresh palm fruits, extracting the oil and transferring it back to the heat until starts to thicken. It is at this point they season the sauce and add their protein. The sauce is usually eaten with rice or some form of swallow.
Does this procedure ring a bell? I guess it does sound similar to how Banga soup is prepared.
What do you think?
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 28, 2018
Molokhia/Mulukhiyah (Egypt, Middle East, East & North Africa):
It may interest you to know that the green mucilaginous soup popular among the Yorubas of Nigeria is NOT exclusive to them alone. The soup made from jute leaves is a delicacy enjoyed by millions of non-Nigerians from different parts of the world. The method of preparation is also the same. So if you find yourself in Egypt one day, you can still enjoy this local soup. Just don't go around asking for ewedu, they know it by the name Molokhia.
Finally, i cannot guarantee that they would have amala as I've only seen people have it with rice.

Which ones did i miss? Tell me below.

Source: https://ariketalks..com/2018/10/4-nigerian-delicacies-that-are-more.html

Lalasticlala, Seun.

Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 1:05am On Oct 29, 2018
Amazing
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by enemmo(f): 8:22am On Oct 29, 2018
Op nice thread...well done

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by baby124: 8:35am On Oct 29, 2018
ariketalks:
It's rather common to hear people lay claims to certain meals been their native rights. While that may be true for certain delicacies, there are a quite a few which you will find in other parts of the world albeit under completely different tags. We are all aware of the infamous Jollof rice, [s]no thanks to the superiority battle between Nigerians and Ghanaians.[/s] But that one's stale news.
This time, i am talking about delicacies you probably didn't know of. They go beyond the shores of Nigeria, and maybe even Africa as a whole, and while slight modifications may or may not have been made to each of these dishes, it is pretty much the same concept.

Here are some you might find rather interesting;

Mpotompoto (Ghana):
What better way to begin this post than with our Jollof rival.�
While Ghanaians would smack their lips in delight at the mention of this delicacy, i'm not so sure many Nigerians can relate. Unless of course you've paid a visit to our neighbours and have found out that Mpoto Mpoto is basically yam pottage or asaro [/i]as Yorubas call it. If you don't believe me, do a Youtube search, you'll discover both meals use similar ingredients as well as techniques. Cool, isn't it?

Biryani (India):
Many Nigerians believe our legendary [i]rice concoction
is a meal meant for students and people on a restricted budget, i'm pretty certain Indians would disagree. Chances are if you hosted your Indian friend and plated steaming hot rice concoction, he would be more than excited as this quick meal bears a striking resemblance with the much relished Indian Biryani. There is definitely a bit of modification here and there regarding spices but for the most part, it's very similar.
P.S: Throw in some boiled eggs and you could pass for an Indian chef. No jokes!!
Mpotompto is traditionally made from cocoyam or taro.
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by damdam995(m): 9:01am On Oct 29, 2018
Okay

Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 29, 2018
baby124:

Mpotompto is traditionally made from cocoyam or taro.
No dear. It is usually made with yam, but sometimes they use cocoyam. Just like Nigerians. smiley
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 29, 2018
mrAMG:
Amazing
enemmo:
Op nice thread...well done
Thanks smiley
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 29, 2018
Hmmm ! Lala may not respond because there is no snake meat

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by baby124: 12:01pm On Oct 29, 2018
ariketalks:

No dear. It is usually made with yam, but sometimes they use cocoyam. Just like Nigerians. smiley

https://www.google.com/amp/s/answersafrica.com/so-what-do-you-know-about-ghanas-ashanti-tribe.html/amp
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 29, 2018
baby124:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/answersafrica.com/so-what-do-you-know-about-ghanas-ashanti-tribe.html/amp
Ghanaians all over Youtube say yam is the major ingredient but can also use cocoyam. All the websites where i researched the food say the same.
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by fboonmy: 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2018
Ewedu with Rice? I can't imagine. undecided
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 29, 2018
fboonmy:
Ewedu with Rice? I can't imagine. undecided
I know grin
Re: 4 Nigerian Delicacies That Are More Than Just Nigerian by ThaRealNyke: 7:00pm On Jun 17, 2021
*OAT MEAL WHEAT FLOUR*
*Gluten free*
40K = 25KG Bags
NEWLY SHIPPED-IN ARRIVAL IN STORE

*Call/Text/WhatsApp: +23408069829826 Martins Chima*

It's versatility is amazing: It mixes easily with smoothies, it can easily be added to baked foods like muffins, cookies, cakes, brownies, pancakes, biscuits, bread, porridge, and also for servings with soup as swallow, and much more.
It is an excellent source of dietary fiber and it is higher in protein and healthy fats, and lower in carbohydrates than most other whole grains.
It's taste, aroma, white and brown color is perfect. The best healthy and affordable meal you can get.

Produced by Morning Foods Limited, Crewe, CW2, United Kingdom, an Independent British Company.

25kg Bag = Affordable @ 40K

Call/Text/WhatsApp: +2348069829826 Martins Chima

*OAT MEAL WHEAT FLOUR*

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Vanilla Pods And Seeds / Is Pounded Yam Better Than Fufu / Cake Box

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.