Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,872 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin (33260 Views)

Pretty Foreign Lady Tries Different Nigerian Foods For The 1st Time (pics/video) / Rare Pictures Of Nigerian Foods Shown In The Most Tantalizing Way / Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Opinionated: 4:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
Nigerian cuisine consists of delicious and mouthwatering dishes from the many ethnic groups in Nigeria. Nigerian cuisines typically involve the use of spices and herbs with palm oil or groundnut oil to make varieties of deliciously flavoured foods, often spiced with chilli peppers. However, there are some of our mouth-watering Nigerian foods that actually have foreign origins. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 4 Nigerian foods with foreign origins.

Jollof Rice

All Nigerians are probably very familiar with the ‘Jollof wars’ by now and though which country’s Jollof rice is the best remains a topic of passionate debate, there is one interesting fact about Jollof rice that might be unknown by many – Jollof rice is actually of foreign origin. The origins of Jollof rice can be traced to the Senegambian region that was ruled by the Jolof empire.

Fried Rice

This probably wouldn’t come as a shock to many but Fried rice is another food with foreign origin that has been adopted by Nigerians to become one of the popular Nigerian cuisines. The exact origins of fried rice has actually been lost to history but it is believed to be of Chinese origin, invented sometime within the Sui Dynasty (589 – 618 AD), in the city of Yangzhou in the eastern Jiangsu province.

Coconut Rice

Over time, this dish has become a beloved dish of many seeking something different from the conventional white rice. Coconut rice is typically prepared by soaking white rice in coconut milk or cooking it with coconut flakes. Though coconut rice is found in many cultures of the world, it is believed to have its origins in the South Asia, Southeast Asia and Latin America regions.

Corn Soup

This is locally referred to as ‘Omi Ukpopka’ and is a common food of the Afemai people in northern Edo state. Though the Afemai’s people’s version of the meal is exclusive to them, the origin of meal ‘corn soup’ can actually be traced to the Native Americans. Corn soup was a popular dish of the Native Americans mainly due to the fact that corn was a staple crop for many Native American tribes. Asides the Nigerian ‘Omi Ukpoka’, there are other variations of the corn soup which include: creamed corn soup, sweet corn soup, corn crab soup, Chinese sweet corn soup, dried Indian corn soup, Mexican corn soup and Tibetan style corn soup.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/4-nigerian-foods-foreign-origin/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by madridguy(m): 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2017
Debdave I need you to teach me how to cook corn soup tongue
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 28, 2017
madridguy:
Debdave I need you to teach me how to cook corn soup tongue

But i don't know how....#Good Afternoon#
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by madridguy(m): 4:29pm On Aug 28, 2017
Good afternoon. Jollof rice?

debdave:

But i don't know how....#Good Afternoon#
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 28, 2017
madridguy:
Good afternoon. Jollof rice?
That,i can teach you.
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by thesicilian: 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2017
At least no one can claim Egusi, Pounded Yam, Amala and Ewedu from Nigerians. These are the real MVPs.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by madridguy(m): 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2017
So how much is the tuition fee? tongue

debdave:

That,i can teach you.
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 28, 2017
madridguy:
So how much is the tuition fee? tongue
I don't charge.
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by madridguy(m): 5:45pm On Aug 28, 2017
So how do we go about it? Do you stay in Lagos?

debdave:

I don't charge.
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 28, 2017
madridguy:
So how do we go about it? Do you stay in Lagos?

Yes... I stay in Lagos.
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by madridguy(m): 5:50pm On Aug 28, 2017
I stays around Alimosho and you?

debdave:

Yes... I stay in Lagos.
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 28, 2017
madridguy:
I stays around Alimosho and you?
Wait....
Are you "really" serious about this or what?
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by madridguy(m): 6:00pm On Aug 28, 2017
Am serious.....or you taking me for play?

debdave:

Wait....

Are you "really" serious about this or what?
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
Please guys let's ignore every tribalist in this forum and not reply their tribalism with tribalism but with silence. Trust me that's the way we can beat tribalist.

I know it hurts insulting your lineage but PLEASE IGNORE THEM
IGNORE THEM and watch as our silence kill them inside and drive them mad.

They may end up creating more monicker to reply themselves, still IGNORE and in the end OUR COLLECTIVE SILENCE will make a fool of them.

Every sane and educated person, please copy and paste along your text on Nairaland let everybody see it and let's KILL CYBER TRIBALISM.

Thanks for cooperating.

#COPIED

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Narldon: 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2017

JOLLOF RICE IS A COMPLETE NIERIAN CITIZEN, WITH VALID ID CARD!

7 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by autotrader014(m): 6:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
It's OK.

For super clean cars, contact us today for great deals. We give you value for your money..
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by BornnAgainChild(f): 6:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
What about Ofe nsala

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Kizyte(m): 6:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by DaBillionnaire: 6:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
How can I lay my hands on this food grin
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by ayamprecious: 6:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
I don't need all this rice whatever, am seriously on diet grin

4 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Pain(m): 6:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
Opinionated:
Nigerian cuisine consists of delicious and mouthwatering dishes from the many ethnic groups in Nigeria. Nigerian cuisines typically involve the use of spices and herbs with palm oil or groundnut oil to make varieties of deliciously flavoured foods, often spiced with chilli peppers. However, there are some of our mouth-watering Nigerian foods that actually have foreign origins. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 4 Nigerian foods with foreign origins.

Jollof Rice

All Nigerians are probably very familiar with the ‘Jollof wars’ by now and though which country’s Jollof rice is the best remains a topic of passionate debate, there is one interesting fact about Jollof rice that might be unknown by many – Jollof rice is actually of foreign origin. The origins of Jollof rice can be traced to the Senegambian region that was ruled by the Jolof empire.

Jollof rice is actually a misnomer of Wolof Rice. The Wolof people are a West African ethnic group found in northwestern Senegal, The Gambia, and southwestern coastal Mauritania. The credit should be given to them

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
nrtin lyk nigeria jollof ooo...d switest and am d person dat can prepare d best jollof rice in d whole wide world..

2 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by horlahsunbo225(m): 6:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
What of okro soup
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 28, 2017
Well u need to see Creative @ it peak

A Nairalander Built A Masterpiece E-gov Website Sample For His State Government

https://www.nairaland.com/4017198/nairalander-built-masterpiece-e-gov-website....
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Blackfire(m): 6:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
Op are u related to our minister of information... Mr Linus mba?
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nakairogold(f): 6:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
Yes, they introduced us to jollof rice but we (Nigerians) made it popular.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
madridguy:
Am serious.....or you taking me for play?

Sorry,but i thought it was just a joke.

I'm sure you have people around you that can teach you how to cook.
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by OpinionCounts(m): 6:12pm On Aug 28, 2017
What of "soaking garri" na which people invent am..

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by free2ryhme: 6:16pm On Aug 28, 2017
Opinionated:

Jollof Rice

Fried Rice

This probably wouldn’t come as a shock to many but Fried rice is another food with foreign origin that has been adopted by Nigerians to become one of the popular Nigerian cuisines. The exact origins of fried rice has actually been lost to history but it is believed to be of Chinese origin, invented sometime within the Sui Dynasty (589 – 618 AD), in the city of Yangzhou in the eastern Jiangsu province.

Coconut Rice

Over time, this dish has become a beloved dish of many seeking something different from the conventional white rice. Coconut rice is typically prepared by soaking white rice in coconut milk or cooking it with coconut flakes. Though coconut rice is found in many cultures of the world, it is believed to have its origins in the South Asia, Southeast Asia and Latin America regions.

Corn Soup

This is locally referred to as ‘Omi Ukpopka’ and is a common food of the Afemai people in northern Edo state. Though the Afemai’s people’s version of the meal is exclusive to them, the origin of meal ‘corn soup’ can actually be traced to the Native Americans. Corn soup was a popular dish of the Native Americans mainly due to the fact that corn was a staple crop for many Native American tribes. Asides the Nigerian ‘Omi Ukpoka’, there are other variations of the corn soup which include: creamed corn soup, sweet corn soup, corn crab soup, Chinese sweet corn soup, dried Indian corn soup, Mexican corn soup and Tibetan style corn soup.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/4-nigerian-foods-foreign-origin/

Truth benders and lie tellers
Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 28, 2017
horlahsunbo225:
What of okro soup
Okra you mean? smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Foods With Foreign Origin by inourcare: 6:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
No nation can take BOLI from the green white green nation, I know.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three Crowns Milk Introduces “Smallie Pack” / The Process Of Drying Crayfish (Video) / See The $400 Baby Cake That Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.