Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? (35267 Views)

‘I Called Them Before I Have Sex With My Wife’; Man Hypnotised By Scammers. PIC / Pretty Customs Official Whose Pictures Are Being Used By Scammers, Cries Out. / Lady Narrates New Method Used To Kidnap People After She Made A Narrow Escape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by soliddust2020: 8:39am On Oct 30, 2018
I got the same text message and call about 3 weeks back. I simply told them to go eat pig poo. Na me them wan form local for, the format seems very stupid to me and i wonder how people for this yeye format.

1 Like

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Enskynelson(m): 8:40am On Oct 30, 2018
ItsTime4me:
Just last week, I got a text message written in Yoruba language. The only thing I could decipher was the word 'card'. Of course there were numbers that looked like recharge card pins. I just ignored and deleted the message because I wasn't expecting any such thing from anyone.

Just about 10 minutes later, I got a call from someone asking me to send the message back to him and begging that I should not load the card, that it was intended for someone else. I said no problems.

Three days later, the guy called me and said his father wants to speak with me. I was like, for what? He said the father wants to thank me for the recharge card I did not use. I said, why would I use something that does not belong to me. But he said the father was itching to talk to me. So I agreed to speak with him.

When the father came on the phone, he started showering praises on me, in a tone of an elderly Yoruba man who was struggling to speak English. He said he is surprised that people like me are still in existence. Then he asked me my name and location, which I told him.

Lastly, he asked me where I work and I told him I was looking for a job. Then he started praying for me. However, the thing that he said that made feel that they are scammers was that, the baba asked if anyone was there with me. I said yes. He said he wants to consult an Oracle for me and nobody should be there with me. Immediately, I told him that I don't do oracles and I don't believe in them. And he hung up.

So my question is, are these new methods adopted by scammers? Has anyone here experienced similar stuff? Perhaps others can learn from this.

OP is a learner. This has been in existence for a while and if you a regular Nairalander, you would have read things like this.

1 Like

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by SEGLIZ: 8:40am On Oct 30, 2018
ItsTime4me:
Just last week, I got a text message written in Yoruba language. The only thing I could decipher was the word 'card'. Of course there were numbers that looked like recharge card pins. I just ignored and deleted the message because I wasn't expecting any such thing from anyone.

Just about 10 minutes later, I got a call from someone asking me to send the message back to him and begging that I should not load the card, that it was intended for someone else. I said no problems.

Three days later, the guy called me and said his father wants to speak with me. I was like, for what? He said the father wants to thank me for the recharge card I did not use. I said, why would I use something that does not belong to me. But he said the father was itching to talk to me. So I agreed to speak with him.

When the father came on the phone, he started showering praises on me, in a tone of an elderly Yoruba man who was struggling to speak English. He said he is surprised that people like me are still in existence. Then he asked me my name and location, which I told him.

Lastly, he asked me where I work and I told him I was looking for a job. Then he started praying for me. However, the thing that he said that made feel that they are scammers was that, the baba asked if anyone was there with me. I said yes. He said he wants to consult an Oracle for me and nobody should be there with me. Immediately, I told him that I don't do oracles and I don't believe in them. And he hung up.

So my question is, are these new methods adopted by scammers? Has anyone here experienced similar stuff? Perhaps others can learn from this.

if you had played along a little while you would had enough of them. though I'd not crossed part with this particular mode but my wife had some two or three years back, though she never fell prey but played along with them to the end. mime was a cloned voice like that of my sister's husband, the voice got me like I was hypnotized but quickly came to realization of the scammers. they are real and not new they've just gotten to you, this I'm saying was three, four years back, I know before getting to me they've been in business.

1 Like

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 30, 2018
slyng:
But you ignored and deleted the message. How come you sent it back? Koyemi o

Gbam! i thought na only me see am. undecided
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by SirLakes: 8:41am On Oct 30, 2018
Make them just send me the card n'tori olorun undecided

cheesy cheesy
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 30, 2018
falcon01:
grin sending the message back to the sender
Yesssss Ooooooooo good msg. Its happened to me toooo. De same method
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by dejolly(m): 8:43am On Oct 30, 2018
I think it has to do with ritual...same thing happened to me 3 years ago. But the baba told me specifically to call him back by 4pm which I never did. I gave him a fake name and details because I know it's very unusual. Please you need to be very careful cos December is fast approaching and all sort of nonsense happens during this period.

1 Like

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Splasshhh(f): 8:44am On Oct 30, 2018
grin
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by SirLakes: 8:45am On Oct 30, 2018
Hayehood:
I va a similar case yesterday's whn I went to my mum... Send in as FIRSTBANK. message... Note d firstbank has full stop while normal firstbank message don't va it... Message goes like this... Dear customers, as regard to cashless policy. Your account A. T. M has been locked due to change in date of birth. Contact customer care on 08180001024 for assistance... Pls beware dat firstbank can never send dis.. May God protect us all.

No dey talk about this joor......

My 3 year old cousin even know about this format undecided

1 Like

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by busayo2uk: 8:48am On Oct 30, 2018
He said they called him for not loading the recharge card and not that he sent it back to them.

Bamidey:
I don't understand. You said you deleted the message before they called you? undecided
How then was it possible for you to send a deleted message to someone?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by shevy878: 8:51am On Oct 30, 2018
you should have played along to get the full jerk.
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Infocitadel: 8:57am On Oct 30, 2018
wow so many people has experienced it. It happened to me too about 3 months ago.

at the end, the baba vex and was insulting, I just cut the call

2 Likes

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Witlee(m): 8:59am On Oct 30, 2018
Sleekfingers:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] my

Another lazy youth and online begger spotte
d

I sight you bro, God bless your hustle
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by fabijelef: 9:05am On Oct 30, 2018
WEB DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT SOLUTIONS THAT SETS YOUR BUSINESS APART!

When customers are deciding on a purchase, they start by looking online.

Your website is your showroom, where customers can research your product and see all the reasons it is right for them.

Now imagine that same product was just a couple of clicks away from being theirs. A well designed and developed Website can influence purchase decisions by showcasing your product at its best, and making it as easy as pie to take action and make a purchase, patronising you services or connecting with your brand

What You Get!

== https://www.YourWebsite.com SSL Certificate Installed for FREE
== 1 year US-based Hosting (comes with unlimited Traffic)
== Free Domain for 1 Year
== Beautiful Crafted Website
== SEO Implementation with Google Analytics & Google Console for Good online Ranking
== Comes developed with VERY GOOD Website Speed!
== Logo Design for your Brand (in case you don’t have)
== Websites comes with 99.9% uptime
== Basic Website Maintenance for 2 Months for FREE...YES! For Absolutely FREE!
== 2 Banner Designs to promote your brand…FOR FREE
== Unlimited Hosting Space

PLUS MUCH MORE!

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Witlee(m): 9:06am On Oct 30, 2018
Yuletide25:

Today is your birthday and you are begging?

you are supposed to be the one buying drinks and food for people and thanking your creator that has added additional age into your life

you came to beg

scammer like you

Birthday/ event advisor spotted
BTW,as your guy no get to do you fit still help am
Chillax bro, God bless your hustle
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by emmychina: 9:08am On Oct 30, 2018
Scam scamming d scammer.
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 30, 2018
Awaja:
You said you couldn’t decipher the text so you deleted it Immediately.what did you send back to them that the where thanking you for? Nna be careful o.
D guy is not a good liar.
I was going through comments and all of them didn't even cross check the message to burst his lies.
I weep for OP for such a weak lie.
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by MOORCHMOORE(m): 9:12am On Oct 30, 2018
ItsTime4me:

Yes they are, as a mater of fact I got such sms last month and the person called and beg me not to recharge it back also expect me to send it back to him (thats were he got it wrong, because hes with the card or even if hes not he suppose to have it in his sent sms).
I simply told him its going to be a competition between us.
I told him once we cut the call let him start loading while I also load, "winner takes it all game".
Funny I loaded the N3000 card and it returned FAKE. cheesy cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by IkpuMmadu: 9:13am On Oct 30, 2018
What is going on in Yoruba land? They even use their elderly to scam people ! Very soon people wouldn't be taking them serious...from rituals to skull mining to this one then wire wire ! This is enough

We have a coupe of bad eggs in other tribes but what is happening in Yoruba land is getting out of hand

Yoruba must start looking inward pls

4 Likes

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Awoleesu(m): 9:18am On Oct 30, 2018
The idiots tried to pull it on me.
I didn't even get this far with them like you did.
Simply told the caller I didn't load his airtime credit, so he could as well load it himself...

He was just saying something about an old man was the owner of the phone, and how he couldn't see properly, when I hung up!

He never called back.

2 Likes

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 30, 2018
kingkakaone:

D guy is not a good liar.
I was going through comments and all of them didn't even cross check the message to burst his lies.
I weep for OP for such a weak lie.

Please highlight and paste the place where the ‘Op’ said he sent the message back to the scammers. Weep for yourself. You need to use your brain more sir!

4 Likes

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by john5646(m): 9:18am On Oct 30, 2018
nawa o.. only u delete message, only u still send am d message wae u delete. Uncle u can lie o
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by LordPherule(m): 9:19am On Oct 30, 2018
I’ve been fooled that way but I’m not their prey at last. Format: They send SMS to my number and the man called back in old man’s voice. Urging me to send the text back to them. That it’s recharge card of N1500 he want to send to his child. I asked them to check the sent items. He said China Phone don’t save sent items. I concurred and send it back. Then he called back to thank me. Later he asked me where I am. He then said he’s eager to help me. To reward me, he gave me instructions to go buy some stuff which I bought out of my insufficiency. I took the bath on his instructions. Later asked me to come to Ife. He even asked for money to continue rites for me over there which I complained of money to him. He said I’m an happy man since the divinity he’s done.

Someday, I just thought of loading the MTN on my number to know if it’s real card. The card say not existing. Na so me sef start to play the man in old baba voice. I called back with my bonus airtime on Airtel. Giving praises to them that I’ve hit duffle bag lately. That the money is just coming in for days now. He said I should praise God. Now, he’s the one calling me regularly to check on me. I dey tell him now to go pay for custom duty to Diamond to get parcel delivered to him from UPS. I told him I dey Dubai presently. I don’t know if he would proceed to make the payment.

4 Likes

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 30, 2018
slyng:
But you ignored and deleted the message. How come you sent it back? Koyemi o

Where in this write up did he say he sent the text back to the sender? Highlight and let’s see it.. smh

2 Likes

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by bluefilm: 9:21am On Oct 30, 2018
They tried it on me.

Baba prayed for me and that was it.

Up till this moment I still vomit blood like 30 times every blessed day.

How I wish I never answered that call.

In fact, let me go and vomit some blood now.

Hahahahahhahhahahahahha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by DahReformer26: 9:24am On Oct 30, 2018
ItsTime4me:

I'm a victims of this
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by deebrain(m): 9:25am On Oct 30, 2018
Kashamaadupe:
They only just got to you. It’s not a new method, they’ve been using it for quite a while now. The scam itself is so lame: they send numbers claiming they mistakenly sent it & they ask you to send it back to them. Can you send the same text message back to someone that texted you? its such a really dumb tactic. Eventually they’d tell you to send some cash to appease some ‘demi gods’ for good fortune � for you. They almost scammed my friend. They might call you back? Just ignore and block them idle bastards!

Hmmm
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by DahReformer26: 9:27am On Oct 30, 2018
donsoj5:
It is not scam my bro
It’s a new way for ritualist
Heard of several people who had the call when they were alone after the incantations from the old man the guy started vomiting blood
Thank God for your life for hanging up immediately
People please DO NOT RETURN CARD OR EVEN PICK THEIR CALLS AGAIN.
God help us

I swear with my life, after their call the day I fall a victim's, I felt so restless for awhile, thank God I have people to call and pray for me
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by ify1237: 9:28am On Oct 30, 2018
lol
Bamidey:
I don't understand. You said you deleted the message before they called you? undecided
How then was it possible for you to send a deleted message to someone?
Re: Is This A New Method Used By Scammers? by SarkinYarki: 9:29am On Oct 30, 2018
ItsTime4me:

You are lucky the charm didn't hold you , many people have picked up this same call and the next thing is that they get hypnotized and find theirself at some shrine in Osun where they a thoroughly fleeced of every time....you were just lucky your head was strong if not if they had read that incantation for you over the phone nothing will stop you from going to Osun

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

18-Year-Old Indian Hemp Dealer Arrested In Katsina (Photo) / Man Intentionally Drives Van Into Ex-wife’s House, Causing Fire (Photos) / Man Impregnates Daughter For Ritual, Continues Act After Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.