Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary (442 Views)

Why I Demanded Return Of Tithe From My Former Church – Abuja Man / Orji Kalu Visits Ignatius Kaigama, Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja (PHOTOS) / Should I Pay Tithe From My 20k Stimulus I Got From Government? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by Faithway10: 7:51pm On Oct 29, 2018
Most Reverend Cyprian Kizito Lwanga, a Catholic Archbishop of Kampala, Uganda, has proposed that the central government deducts 10% from the monthly salaries of workers, and forward the deductions directly to the church.

He stated this at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Rubaga during mass, according to Citizen TV. He said non-payment of tithes affects project development in the church.

His words:

"Whenever we ask for tithe, everyone gives only what they have at that time. But the Bible says a tenth of whatever you earn belongs to the church.
Give me your support as I front this proposal because it is good for us.

Aren’t you tired of putting money in the baskets all the time?

Lwanga said he wanted Uganda to toe the line of Germany, where citizens who are registered as Catholics, Protestants or Jews have a church tax (Kirchensteuer) of 8 to 9% deducted from their annual income.

The church tax is collected by the government and channeled to the respective faiths.

I was told Germans make agreements with their government to deduct monthly tithe from their salaries and forward it to the church and this money they use to build and renovate their churches,” he added.

https://www.amagitesblog.com/2018/10/catholic-archbishop-wants-government-to-deduct-tithe-from-monthly-salary.html

Cc; Lalasticlala

Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 7:51pm On Oct 29, 2018
cheesy grin
That face though
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by madridguy(m): 7:52pm On Oct 29, 2018
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by teckmore(m): 7:56pm On Oct 29, 2018
Bishop, ayumad?
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 29, 2018
End time
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by Ehiscotch(m): 8:15pm On Oct 29, 2018
Most African clergies are funny and inexplicably annoying.
How can you force people to pay their tithes? Making something that should come voluntarily, compulsory.

Why haven't you asked the government to develop healthcare, education, roads, power, railway?

If God created us to singularly live on earth and just worship him, I think he'd have just kept us in heaven instead.

Uganda is an underdeveloped country and you think their priority right now should be erecting more church structures?

This is why a whole lot of Christians get it wrong. You pay your tithe, offering, sow seed, work in church, pray all day, read your Bible but never practise a thing it says.

The average Christian would rather "pay tithe to church for things not to be tight" than to "love thy neighbor as thyself".

The Germans are a thousand kilometers ahead of Uganda, and I'm almost certain that clause would still be optional.

I am not against paying tithes.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by Ubenedictus(m): 8:33pm On Oct 29, 2018
Ehiscotch:
Most African clergies are funny and inexplicably annoying.
How can you force people to pay their tithes? Making something that should come voluntarily, compulsory.

Why haven't you asked the government to develop healthcare, education, roads, power, railway?

If God created us to singularly live on earth and just worship him, I think he'd have just kept us in heaven instead.

Uganda is an underdeveloped country and you think their priority right now should be erecting more church structures?

This is why a whole lot of Christians get it wrong. You pay your tithe, offering, sow seed, work in church, pray all day, read your Bible but never practise a thing it says.

The average Christian would rather "pay tithe to church for things not to be tight" than to "love thy neighbor as thyself".

The Germans are a thousand kilometers ahead of Uganda, and I'm almost certain that clause would still be optional.

I am not against paying tithes.

it is not optional in Germany, so far you are registered with a religion the government will remove the religious tax. You have to officially repudiate your religion if you want to escape the tax
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by hisgrace090: 8:33pm On Oct 29, 2018
Its gradually graduating to by fire by force level.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by Ehiscotch(m): 8:39pm On Oct 29, 2018
Ubenedictus:
it is not optional in Germany, so far you are registered with a religion the government will remove the religious tax. You have to officially repudiate your religion if you want to escape the tax

Wow. Then it is still very wrong. Tithes should be paid willingly.

Most peeps here pay tithes because they expect God to reward them for it. And clergies take their time to emphasize on it making it difficult for the congregation to to against it.

If most people would first take ten percent into helping others , I think it would be better.
Re: Catholic Archbishop Wants Government To Deduct Tithe From Monthly Salary by OriginalKogiboy(m): 9:34pm On Oct 29, 2018
I AM OK WITH THAT

(1) (Reply)

After Fasting For 40 Days Hang Yourself On The Cross – Daddy Freeze To Adeboye / If I don't Pay Tithe, Remember God Gives You 43200000 / Angola Is The First Country In The World To Ban.islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.