Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,922 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? (14706 Views)

Excessive Fuel Usage And Deficult Steering When Reversing / See The Moment Driver Crashed BMW I8 While Reversing (photos/video) / Help My Kia Cerato Is Making Unusual Noise When I Shift The Gear Stick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by AutoReportNG: 5:05pm On Oct 30, 2018
Have you been wondering why is your car making noise when reversing every time? Each time you are backing up your ride, it makes a squealing noise. At times, an old brake pad can cause this as it rubs against the rotor and creates a high-pitched noise. It is a sign that your car brakes need a change. You can replace the old bake pad with a new one to resolve the issue.

We will tell you the reasons why your car squeals when in reverse gear. These will help you pin down the exact cause and get the noise taken care of properly.

Why Is My Car Making Noise When Reversing?
If you hear a car reverse sound, the most probable cause of this might be a brake issue. Whether this issue is severe or not, it requires your immediate attention. If you hear brake noise while reversing the car, the chances are that brakes are not the only issue affecting your car’s smooth running.

You can follow the expert maintenance tips below to keep the car running smoothly in reverse.

1. Clicking Noise
One of the most common noises that you will hear when reversing the car is clicking. This car making noise when reversing can occur due to the brake pads shifting to a new direction for travel. However, too much movement between the surface of the pad abutment and caliper can lead to continuous noise. You can take care of this by installing disk brake caliper grease. The grease will lubricate the brakes and eliminate the noise.

The absence of anti-rattle chips can also cause a clicking noise. In addition, not replacing the anti-rattle chips during changing the brakes will lead to this noise.

2. Check The Wear Tabs
In case, you have not driven your vehicle brakes when driving longer distances, the first thing to check is the wear tabs. If the car makes noise when backing up or even while moving forward, wear tabs might be a cause of concern. These are located at the end of the brake tabs and can rub against the rotor to create a squealing noise.

3. Check For Metal
At times, you might wonder as to why do cars whine in reverse gear. The squealing noise can occur when metal touches metal. Check the car rotor and pads and if there is any small metal part between the two, it will create a squealing noise. Make sure that you clean the rotor as well as pads to prevent any metal part from getting in between both.

4. Examine The Grease Shims
Greasing Shims can lead to the squealing noise your car gives out when reversing. These need lubrication from time to time to suppress the noise. Make sure that you apply the lubricant on both sides of the greasing shims to avoid any problem with the brake pads. Also, remember not to use too much grease as it might lead to a large, sticky built-up.

Conclusion
Thus, if the car making noise when reversing every time then these tips can help you avoid an unnecessary headache. These tips will ensure that your ride works smoothly, whether moving forward or reversing back to the garage.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/10/why-is-your-car-making-noise-when.html

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by AutoReportNG: 5:05pm On Oct 30, 2018
Whats your take?
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by lonelydora: 6:29pm On Oct 30, 2018
Op, please speak in Kazeem's parlance. All these big grammars is confusing us the more.

My Kazeem knows all the sounds without even diagnosing it. grin

11 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Trustme2(m): 6:29pm On Oct 30, 2018
You post , you take FTC . Nothing to take na. You don take everything.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Franzinni: 6:29pm On Oct 30, 2018
it makes noise like APC government...

But the remedy is a strong application of some ATIKULATION!

2019 is a goal!

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by switsoda(m): 6:29pm On Oct 30, 2018
Thanks this is informative
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by NwaAmaikpe: 6:29pm On Oct 30, 2018
shocked

Cars make noise when reversing because it is their own way of crying.

You know nobody is happy to move backwards in life.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Richdad50(m): 6:30pm On Oct 30, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by teewhydope(m): 6:30pm On Oct 30, 2018
noted!
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by polite2(m): 6:30pm On Oct 30, 2018
Ok
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by ITbomb(m): 6:31pm On Oct 30, 2018
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:32pm On Oct 30, 2018
Very good thread......
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by GrammarNazi1(m): 6:33pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Cars makes noise when reversing because it is their own way of crying.

Cars make...

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Sirheny007(m): 6:35pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I pissed in my pants!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by NotBeenPaid: 6:39pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by ottohan: 6:42pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This guy cheesy
Your sense of humour is legendary

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Blackfire(m): 6:46pm On Oct 30, 2018
My own is a ship...

What do I use?
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by PedroNascimento: 6:47pm On Oct 30, 2018
smiley
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Who born this pikin sef grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Bacteriologist(m): 6:55pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe's posts can either be one without a single inch of sense or a savage comment.

No In-between.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by bigkahuna704(m): 6:57pm On Oct 30, 2018
They Were Not Meant To Reverse
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by femi4: 7:07pm On Oct 30, 2018
Break pad, joints etc are always the culprit
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 30, 2018
Mine started the day I changed the pads.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Aldebaran(m): 7:12pm On Oct 30, 2018
Car and wahala grin
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This guy grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by DonHummer(m): 7:38pm On Oct 30, 2018
I swear NwaAmaikpe na one intelligent clown, when I see some peeps quoting him to lay insults I just shake my head and say if only they knew...

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by chigoziri2403(m): 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2018
All reverse gears should be named Bubu, he moves everything backwards

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by Peteryt01: 8:37pm On Oct 30, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Have you been wondering why is your car making noise when reversing every time? Each time you are backing up your ride, it makes a squealing noise. At times, an old brake pad can cause this as it rubs against the rotor and creates a high-pitched noise. It is a sign that your car brakes need a change. You can replace the old bake pad with a new one to resolve the issue.

We will tell you the reasons why your car squeals when in reverse gear. These will help you pin down the exact cause and get the noise taken care of properly.

Why Is My Car Making Noise When Reversing?
If you hear a car reverse sound, the most probable cause of this might be a brake issue. Whether this issue is severe or not, it requires your immediate attention. If you hear brake noise while reversing the car, the chances are that brakes are not the only issue affecting your car’s smooth running.

You can follow the expert maintenance tips below to keep the car running smoothly in reverse.

1. Clicking Noise
One of the most common noises that you will hear when reversing the car is clicking. This car making noise when reversing can occur due to the brake pads shifting to a new direction for travel. However, too much movement between the surface of the pad abutment and caliper can lead to continuous noise. You can take care of this by installing disk brake caliper grease. The grease will lubricate the brakes and eliminate the noise.

The absence of anti-rattle chips can also cause a clicking noise. In addition, not replacing the anti-rattle chips during changing the brakes will lead to this noise.

2. Check The Wear Tabs
In case, you have not driven your vehicle brakes when driving longer distances, the first thing to check is the wear tabs. If the car makes noise when backing up or even while moving forward, wear tabs might be a cause of concern. These are located at the end of the brake tabs and can rub against the rotor to create a squealing noise.

3. Check For Metal
At times, you might wonder as to why do cars whine in reverse gear. The squealing noise can occur when metal touches metal. Check the car rotor and pads and if there is any small metal part between the two, it will create a squealing noise. Make sure that you clean the rotor as well as pads to prevent any metal part from getting in between both.

4. Examine The Grease Shims
Greasing Shims can lead to the squealing noise your car gives out when reversing. These need lubrication from time to time to suppress the noise. Make sure that you apply the lubricant on both sides of the greasing shims to avoid any problem with the brake pads. Also, remember not to use too much grease as it might lead to a large, sticky built-up.

Conclusion
Thus, if the car making noise when reversing every time then these tips can help you avoid an unnecessary headache. These tips will ensure that your ride works smoothly, whether moving forward or reversing back to the garage.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/10/why-is-your-car-making-noise-when.html

Ok
Re: Why Is Your Car Making Noise When Reversing? by ramdris(m): 9:14pm On Oct 30, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Savage!...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Engine Oil For Toyota Camry Big-Daddy (2003 XLE) / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? / Hyundai Motors Unveils The New 2019 Santa Fe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.