Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today (23111 Views)

Coronavirus Didn't Come From A Lab, WHO Found The Source. / The Coronavirus Did Not Escape From A Lab. Here's How We Know. / 10 Reasons To See The Dentist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by zombieTRACKER: 7:51am On Oct 31, 2018
Mycoin:
lion
y u dey talk rubbish

Heard from a health expert

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by Ade58: 7:52am On Oct 31, 2018
h
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by primeache: 8:01am On Oct 31, 2018
I hate to read about all these health topic, it drives me crazy.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 8:14am On Oct 31, 2018
OboOlora:
Good one Op!
Please include electrolytes like sodium and potassium too, they are key determinants in kidney and heart functionalities

Yes maa'm seems you're a lab person

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 8:15am On Oct 31, 2018
zombieTRACKER:
More than 200 thousand lagosians are HIV positive..

Without knowing... shocked shocked
Heard from a health expert in the state

Scary but TRUE.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 8:17am On Oct 31, 2018
anonymuz:
Op this is informative. Thanks.

You're welcome. Follow the handle for more stuff like this: https://twitter.com/havanahospital
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 8:17am On Oct 31, 2018
grayht:
Check if vital organs are still intact.

grin grin grin

Yes!

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 8:18am On Oct 31, 2018
primeache:
I hate to read about all these health topic, it drives me crazy.

Why sir?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by Smartii(m): 8:27am On Oct 31, 2018
I try my best to do medical check up monthly but no time, last time out was September when I used my HMO.... everything my doctor told me never entered my head except my genotype angry...., that's my concern.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by drips8(m): 8:27am On Oct 31, 2018
TheVictorious:

Many don't even visit the hospital for tests at all until they're critically down and rushed by other compassionate individuals. In fact, even when some people are critically down, they just assume it must be malaria and simply begin to treat erroneously. It's bad.

I agree, a bad personal experience changed my view on health

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by Lucifer66(m): 8:37am On Oct 31, 2018
ajibolabd:
Oh, this isn't about bobrisky or tiwa vs wizkid, it wont make frontpage. Silly mods.
It made front page.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by fof1: 8:48am On Oct 31, 2018
MajorJeffery:
You didn't add to check one's blood sugar level. Lots of people die of heart attacks even before it is discovered they have type 2 diabetes and one of the evils of diabetes is heart attack.

READ AGAIN. PLS ALWAYS READ GOOD WRITE UPS WITH AN OPEN MIND & PATIENTLY UNDERSTAND SAME. READ AGAIN.OPEN UR EYES THIS TIME,PLS.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by phase1: 9:03am On Oct 31, 2018
Nice read...

I usually tell patients and clients that preventive health is cheaper than curative treatment.

If you do proper investigations on your health, you'll spend lesser swallowing drugs which are actually 'poisons' in the toxicological sense.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by nonix22(m): 9:42am On Oct 31, 2018
your head is there. weldone
OboOlora:
Good one Op!
Please include electrolytes like sodium and potassium too, they are key determinants in kidney and heart functionalities
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by tosyne2much(m): 10:18am On Oct 31, 2018
darepoju:
How much does genotype testing costs pls?
It doesn't cost more than 1k
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by naijajobx: 1:18pm On Oct 31, 2018
smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 4:11pm On Oct 31, 2018
drips8:

I agree, a bad personal experience changed my view on health

Oh wow, sorry. hope you're fine now sir
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by lastdon5: 9:12am On Nov 02, 2018
TheVictorious:
In the world we live in today, where we could get so carried away with the essential activities that are geared at meeting our daily needs, many often forget that health is one of the basic needs of man. No wonder Thomas Fuller noted that “health is not valued until sickness comes”. In the same vein, the World Health Organization once noted that “Good health allows children to learn and adults to earn, helps people escape from poverty and provides the basis for long-term economic development”. This truly corroborates the popular saying which states that: “health is wealth”. I guess you must have completed the last quote before reading it to the extreme, but how well are you attending to your health? Yes! When last did you go for a lab check-up? One of the often neglected aspects of maintaining a good health is having a routine laboratory check-up. This is why Havana Hospital has brought you this timely article, detailing some essential reasons why you need a laboratory check-up today. Read to see where this applies to you, and act wisely!

1. Blood count: An understanding of your blood level (packed cell volume) and all other vital parameters related to the blood such as haemoglobin level, white cell count, platelets count is important in many ways – to know whether your blood level is above normal (polycythemia) or below (anaemia), whether your immune system is being compromised, or has already been compromised, and to know what to do about it.

2. Blood group and Genotype: It will shock you to know that not everyone knows their blood group and genotype, and many often confuse the two. Not sure of yours? Rush to the laboratory today to confirm. Prior knowledge of one’s genotype is necessary for making decisions related to marriage – for assessment of compatibility with one’s intending partner, and blood group is especially important for taking necessary medications and precautions during child bearing. The major reason why blood group test is done for pregnant women is to understand their Rhesus (Rh) factor – which is either positive or negative. Since more people often tend to be Rh positive than Rh negative, it is highly probable that an Rh-negative mother could be carrying an Rh positive baby, thereby creating the risk for haemolytic disease of the new-born (HDN) in future pregnancies, essentially destroying that baby’s red blood cells.

3. Antenatal (For pregnant women): Are you an expectant mother. Then undergoing some series of laboratory screening is essential for your health and that of your unborn baby, and also for your safe delivery. There is need to monitor your blood level (haemoglobin and packed cell volume), and sugar levels, as well as knowing your blood group and ensuring that you see your doctor for administration of necessary drugs, if you’re rhesus negative.
Blood group as explained above is one of the essential components of the antenatal screening. If the antenatal process reveals that a pregnant woman is Rh negative, she will receive a RhoGAM injection, which protects her immune system from being exposed to the baby’s Rh-positive blood. Failure to detect that an expectant mother is Rh Negative, and subsequent failure to receive the injection, will lead to production of antibodies by the mother’s body that could attack the positive red blood cells of babies in subsequent pregnancies, which will cause HDN. HDN can cause serious illnesses, brain damage or even death in a fetus or newborn. To this wise, you are implored to advice everyone you know who is pregnant to go for necessary antenatal check-ups.

4. Examining biochemical indicators of organs’ functionality: It is important to regularly check the levels of essential biomarkers such as alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), cardiac troponin I (TNI), urea, creatinine, etc. of the liver, kidney, and heart function, and for that of many other organs from time to time. Since the heart, liver and kidneys are involved in most of the body’s systems and functionalities, they could be described as windows to the body’s functionality. Routine examination of these vital organs therefore, can give an overall picture of what is going on in the body. Altered levels of the biochemical indicators of the functionality of these organs (ALT, AST, urea etc.) might be a pointer to an array of conditions such as infection, inflammation, alcoholism, toxic chemicals or medicines, drugs of abuse, occupational hazards, diabetes, metabolic diseases, and high blood pressure.

5. Understanding the levels of blood metabolites; In light of the alarming rate at which global epidemic of diabetes and other related metabolic syndromes is growing today, monitoring blood metabolites for detecting early-stage metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and coronary artery disease is extremely consequential. If you don’t presently know your health status with respect to your sugar and cholesterol intake and metabolism, don’t hesitate to go for a glucose test and/or fasting lipid profile today.

6. Controlling weight and BMI: Certain laboratory tests are important when watching weight and body mass index (BMI) – ratio of body-weight to height; an indicator of obesity. A lipid profile tests helps essentially in monitoring body lipids such as cholesterol and triglycerides from time to time. More so, it has been found that cortisol, which is one of the major hormones released during stress conditions not only leads to storage of body fat but also increases peoples affinity for food and encourages hunger pangs for fatty or sugary foods. Since hormones that are released under stressful situations (stress hormones) could lead to weight gain and obesity, monitoring their levels is essential controlling one’s weight. You can request a cortisol blood test today, if you are looking to shed weight.

7. Reproductive Health Assessment; Knowing the level of essential hormones: Keeping a close track of essential hormone levels such as testosterone and oestrogen is very important to maintaining a good reproductive health. Reproductive health concerns like erectile dysfunction, infertility, poor libido, etc. can all stem from low levels of important sex hormones. This problem can only be diagnosed, prevented or treated through a blood test.

8. Maintaining Necessary balance of essential vitamins and understanding how they affect your health: Blood testing allows you to always know whether your body’s vitamin and mineral are being maintained within optimal ranges. Micronutrients play an important role in our health and well-being, and deficiencies in important minerals such as magnesium can result in body odour, constipation, muscle cramps, insomnia, headaches, fatigue, and many other adverse health effects that may be harder to treat and manage than it is to go for a lab test today!

9. Understanding your body needs, and what to stay away from: The physical and psychological features and environment of every one of us is highly unique, and so is our health different from that of everybody else. Therefore, your health program should be made in such a way that it is fully customized to suit your needs. By undergoing routine laboratory tests, you can get the exact numbers that will help you plan your treatment, diet, and precautions appropriately. In fact, research shows that; regular blood examination plays a key role in maintaining your overall health and fitness, just like diet and exercise. Is living a long and healthy life of importance to you? I know it is. Then, take your blood tests seriously. Consider going for one today, if you can’t remember when last you did so.

10. For an understanding of your progressive health with time. Even if you live a healthy lifestyle, it is important to note that your body changes with time. Therefore, assessing the progress of your health over time helps to you aware of risk factors for some of the leading causes of death, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes or even cancer. There are certain tests that are recommended at certain for certain ages, because the proneness of humans to certain diseases increases with age. Prostate Specific Antigen, for instance, is a biochemical marker that is assessed for men above 40 years of age to know their risk of coming up with prostate cancer. In the same vein, pap smear cytology is often recommended for women aged 21 to 65, to assess their risk of cervical cancer.

SOURCE: https://medium.com/@havanahospital/why-you-should-go-for-a-lab-check-up-today-a629a3f3ccd9

Nice post. Pls much how will it cost for a comprehensive test like the ones you wrote about.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 10:37am On Nov 02, 2018
lastdon5:

Nice post. Pls much how will it cost for a comprehensive test like the ones you wrote about.

Where do you you stay sir? Send a DM let's chat I'd give you at a most affordable price with a reputable health center in Lagos.

https://twitter.com/VvincentNonso
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 10:39am On Nov 02, 2018
TheVictorious:

Where do you you stay sir? Send a DM let's chat I'd give you at a most affordable price with a reputable health center in Lagos.

https://twitter.com/VvincentNonso

lastdon5 Follow me and mention "from Nairaland" and I'd follow back!
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by Queency123: 10:39am On Nov 02, 2018
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by lastdon5: 6:09pm On Nov 02, 2018
TheVictorious:

lastdon5 Follow me and mention "from Nairaland" and I'd follow back!
I appreciate your offer but am presently in Abia.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 6:37pm On Nov 02, 2018
lastdon5:

I appreciate your offer but am presently in Abia.

Oh wow, that's good. Don't know much about Abia state, talk-less of health practice there. It's my state though! smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by lastdon5: 9:40am On Nov 03, 2018
cool
TheVictorious:

Oh wow, that's good. Don't know much about Abia state, talk-less of health practice there. It's my state though! smiley

wow really... I believe they're trying. we do have Mecure here and everyone is suggesting that they're better.
nwanne, I ga lota kwa for Christmas? nice to know you're my brother cool
TheVictorious:

wow really... I believe they're trying. we do have Mecure here and everyone is suggesting that they're better.
nwanne, I ga lota kwa for Christmas? nice to know you're my brother smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 1:16pm On Nov 03, 2018
lastdon5:
cool

nwanne, I ga lota kwa for Christmas? nice to know you're my brother cool

nwanne, I ga lota kwa for Christmas? nice to know you're my brother smiley

Yes sir. I'd be having an eastern tour in December and I ope to be around for quite long - say one month. I'd be based in Aba, Abia state for the period.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by cutiepie01(f): 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2018
phase1:
Nice read...

I usually tell patients and clients that preventive health is cheaper than curative treatment.

If you do proper investigations on your health, you'll spend lesser swallowing drugs which are actually 'poisons' in the toxicological sense.
Hello there, please, are you a medical doctor? I need help in interpretation of a lab test result I did. Was wondering if you could help with it.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by phase1: 7:07pm On Nov 03, 2018
cutiepie01:

Hello there, please, are you a medical doctor? I need help in interpretation of a lab test result I did. Was wondering if you could help with it.

I am a Medical Scientist, I run medical laboratory investigations.

What was your test about and why was it not explained to you by the hospital where it was run?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by drips8(m): 9:09pm On Nov 05, 2018
TheVictorious:

Oh wow, sorry. hope you're fine now sir

I'm fine, thanks for asking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For A Lab Check-up Today by TheVictorious(m): 2:41am On Nov 06, 2018
drips8:

I'm fine, thanks for asking.

You're welcome

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Arrest Fake Medical Doctor Akpoviri Vincent Jimmy Aka Dr. Charles Umeh / Commercial Driver Suffers Epilepsy On Wheel, Kills Pedestrian In Kaduna / Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.