Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,976 members, 7,810,709 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils (23134 Views)

Abia Government Uncovers ‘japa’ Doctors Still Collecting Salaries / COVID-19: Abia Government Seals Church, Market In Aba / Lockdown: Abia Government Gives 7-Day Extension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by References: 10:17am On Jan 28
Abia State ministry of environment has banned the use of Styrofoam foils, popularly known as ‘Take Away’.

The ministry in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Environment, Philemon Ogbonna Asonye on Saturday, said the use of the product as food containers has been banned in the state.

He noted that Take Away had earlier been banned in some states, including Lagos and therefore, advised the public to immediately discontinue the use of the foils until investigations are fully carried out on the dangers of the product to public health.

Meanwhile, some defaulters were on Saturday, arrested and sanctioned in Umuahia during the January 2024 Clean Up exercise in the State.

The defaulters, who were arrested in some parts of the State capital during the environmental sanitation hours, were caught either trading or loitering, in contravention of the government’s earlier orders.

However, the clean up recorded a high level of compliance as many residents cleaned their gutters, while trucks provided by the State government evacuated generated wastes.

https://dailypost.ng/2024/01/28/abia-govt-bans-take-away-foils/

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by solmusdesigns: 10:19am On Jan 28
cool

Cop24

Reality of global warming hitting very fast

What is Toke Makinwa Implementing, atleast she attended

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Elvis2kay: 10:33am On Jan 28
E be like say this south East governor's always wait for Lagos to decide for them... the other day Peteru Mbah carry caterpilar dey demolished people house with C of o

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by jmoore(m): 10:33am On Jan 28
E go hard oh!

When was it banned?

You ban something same day you are implementing the ban.

Do you know traders have such goods worth hundreds of millions of naira in their possesion? They should burn their goods abi?

The best solution is to work with the manufacturing companies so they can switch to producing paper takeaway packs.
The enduser is not your problem.

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by sproket20(m): 10:33am On Jan 28
Na wa oooo

1 Like

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by designking: 10:34am On Jan 28
Companies producing this Styrofoam takeaway packs are about to go bankrupt

Nigerians spends N120billion on takeaway packs per annum and this huge industry is about to die off except they innovate to something new.

41 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Josnac(m): 10:34am On Jan 28
Anyone who is observant enough would see first hand the havoc these styrofoam packs cause to our drainages...but they don't just develop legs and walk to these drains, they're used and disposed by people. And until we develop a comprehensive waste management approach to deal with stuff like these, you can ban styrofoam today and something else will just take its place tomorrow.

Same issues are also posed by plastics used to package soft drinks, are we going to ban those too??

anyilalaz:

Please just asking, why are we not seeing aluminum beverage Cans or foil litter the whole place?

The reason is simple, these cans/containers are being recycled. So an aluminium can/container/car doors, etc can be recycled even back to their former selves.. infinitely.

That's why you see scavengers pick them, crush them and sell.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by jonadaft: 10:34am On Jan 28
Yorubas always leading cool cool cool

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by donaldking10: 10:34am On Jan 28
big big talk.
they should come to my house & enforce it na.

4 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by tiswell(m): 10:35am On Jan 28
Insensitive move from otti

3 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by NigeriaIsGreat: 10:35am On Jan 28
The industry will foldup then

1 Like

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Nwodosis(m): 10:36am On Jan 28
What's the plan of the government to reabsorb workers in that industrial sector?

6 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by inoki247: 10:37am On Jan 28
People about to become Jobless...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by mrrandomguy: 10:40am On Jan 28
Good development. In fact a ban on "nylon bags" should follow ASAP.

What irritates me is the ignorance of so called educated Nigerians and some Nairalanders who happens to be among the dumbest set of people on the planet.

Styrofoam and plastic/nylon bags have nothing to do with global warming or climate change.
I see people mixing up soil and water pollution with the scam called "global warming and climate change". They are not the same.

Global warming and climate change is an illusion created and promoted by a group of billionaires to gain more power and control over society.

What we should be concerned about as environmentalists is land, soil, air and water pollution, not "Global warming or climate change" which does not exist.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Decarbonisation: 10:43am On Jan 28
Good step, way to go.
Phased out ban and a transitional arrangement to get every stakeholder on board.
I hope compliance is monitored and enforced.
Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by izubext007: 10:44am On Jan 28
Everything starts from Lagos , Lagos should be the federal capital

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by nonxo007(m): 10:47am On Jan 28
solmusdesigns:
cool

Cop24

You want to just look for trouble 🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by dinkyicon: 10:48am On Jan 28
jmoore:
E go hard oh!

When was it banned?

You ban something same day you are implementing the ban.

Do you know traders have such goods worth hundreds of millions of naira in their possesion? They should burn their goods abi?

The best solution is to work with the manufacturing companies so they can switch to producing paper takeaway packs.
The enduser is not your problem.
that's the way banning works
Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by nesphil(m): 10:48am On Jan 28

1 Like

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Fadddd(m): 10:50am On Jan 28
Gbarevo condemned it when it was banned here, now it's been banned in his area too grin grin grin. So what he gon say now? tongue tongue tongue

8 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Seunpapa65: 10:50am On Jan 28
Good one
Although we need to educate people on waste management because it was people who dispose it there
Some of my friends were laughing at me when I told them that I don't throw off my waste after using it until I get home

1 Like

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Eraddray(m): 10:51am On Jan 28
Lagos leads, and others follow

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Artscollection: 10:53am On Jan 28
There should be time line for everything, you shouldnt just wake up n boom, this is illegal

2 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Mrvictorwrite(m): 10:53am On Jan 28
It might fall

bring your assignment
Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by PortHarcourtcit(m): 10:54am On Jan 28
solmusdesigns:
cool

Cop24

is toke makinwa the producer of foil take away in Nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by ozo13(m): 10:54am On Jan 28
solmusdesigns:
cool

Cop24

grin
Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by NGArmyTerrorist: 10:54am On Jan 28
The problem is that our people doesn't know how to use this, how to trash it; they litters it everywhere and it causes drainages blockades.. Raining reason will soon come, these new constructed drainages will be blocked by this, satchet water, others.. It won't be easy for people who uses it.
Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Angelfrost(m): 10:54am On Jan 28
Good one.

You people should serve food with plates or use Leaves.

2 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by Lexusgs430: 10:54am On Jan 28
We're heading towards a nationwide ban ......... Lagos leads .......... Others follow.........😁😜

I really pity those that manufacture + holders of plenty stock levels ..........

2 Likes

Re: Styrofoam: Abia Government Bans "Take-away" Foils by FalseProphet1(m): 10:55am On Jan 28
I see the prices of nylon bags skyrocketing, I see weddings and parties putting Rice inside nylon bags for people as take away, I see guests saying that they prefer nylon bags to Styrofoam because once you tie nylon bag the food would not pour.

I see a thread about Styrofoam and nylon bags which do you prefer hitting the front page, I see Nigerians learning how to eat with their bare hands from nylon bags.

This I have seen.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / Children Attack Doctor And Nurse In Edo, Accuse Them Of Killing Their Mother / 5 Lessons Every Nigerian Should Learn From #savemayowa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.