Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade (42667 Views)

The 10 Most Influential Cities In The World / Noo Saro Wiwa Makes 30 Most Influential Women Travellers In The World List / 144 Stranded Nigerians Return From Libya Amid Slave Trade Crisis. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by haaryobhami: 6:13pm On Oct 31, 2018
dem dn infest this thread with tribalism,what is there to be proud of about slavery that every body want his tribe name to be included on d list or named ahead of other tribe especailly all this igbo folks.
what kind of madness is this

10 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by xtervaganza(m): 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2018
Atikusadvocate:
Sometimes, I wish my ancestors where enslaved so that I would be born in America. Instead, I am born in this country where everything has failed.
you have no right to complain when you're part of the problem

You can't be a supporter of buhari or atiku and cry about the ills of this useless country.

You're a big part of the problem

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Positivepoint(m): 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2018
kestolove95:
Hausa no do slave trade...nice people...Igbo must dey, even now igbo still dey do slave trade,dem call am baby factory

We where to civilized for slave trade rather we fought for the crown during the WW1 & WW2
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 31, 2018
Atikusadvocate:
Sometimes, I wish my ancestors where enslaved so that I would be born in America. Instead, I am born in this country where everything has failed.
you have no idea what slavery is do you? If you did then you won't have type what you just type.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Ozibe: 6:18pm On Oct 31, 2018
Hh
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Burna440(m): 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2018
McStoic:

Is it not better to become a slave to profit ones generations than to become a slave to your own selves. A baby factory produces children for adoption to barren parents while your own Hausa illiteracy produces almajiris who become suicide bombers and liabilities to the whole nation and the world at large.

After the slavery, we have folks in the disapora who have better life as American citizens. But your lame Hausa folks are all here still running round in circles. My dear get a brain and with all thy power get a working, thinking one.

lol...this guy get bad mouth....RESPECT Bro

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by olajide8(m): 6:27pm On Oct 31, 2018
First time in a long time something that makes sense hit the FP- the more people know their history the more they know where they belong -

I can imagine the pain they went thru - the consistent beating, the nails that was drilled thru their hands and ears to tie them together- some were engraved with hot fire to brand them- I can imagine the heavy chains they wore around their necks and how they were sold as items - and the fact that they couldn't twist and turn their necks because of the weight of the neck braces, as they shivered in the cold of the night at sea- some sea sick, hungry having not bathed for days and flogged to give direction- while some were forced to carry large logs of wood- breaking their backs in the process- when the breeze at sea was turbulent - some were thrown over board children were raped while their parents looked at them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by darlingtonNYIG(m): 6:30pm On Oct 31, 2018
McStoic:

i don't think there were much Fulanis in slavery. The south's proximity to the coastal made them the highest numbers. Can you tell me any notable Fulani American or anyone of Fulani descent whose ancestors were known slaves?
Fulani slave trade occurred more with the Arabs. The Tuaregs trafficked slaves way back before the trans-atlantic slaves trade. So Fulanis where victims and dealers in slavery.

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2018
Ikio:
Where Did You Got Ur Facts From Or You Are Not Of Those Nigerians who recognises just the 3 major ethnic groups.

This is top 10 and not top 20. Other tribes would have came up under top 20
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Ozibe: 6:37pm On Oct 31, 2018
proxillin:
2nd Position: Yoruba People

They are African tribes of North Central and South Western Nigeria as well as Southern and Central Benin Republic. Yorubas and Fulanis are the largest ethnic groups in Africa. It is hard to tell which is larger. They were mainly sold to the North America. And they were the mostly recognized African cultures in America. Yorubas are found not loose their culture wherever they go. They are dominant culture and Pantheon Yoruba ideology became a religion worshiped. They create shrines and worship centers in Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican republic, st Lious, Brazil Trinidad and Tobago. Yoruba is fast becoming a religion even among non-Yorubas in America. They were the face of African slavery. The Yoruba along Benin/Edo culture has been dated by Archaeology as the oldest civilization in Africa, dated as far back as 11bc Nimrod era.

Op I will respond to this falsehood in another thread later. It is good to say good things about Yoruba but please, saying things that don't add up and worse listing them as number 2 on what basis? Where are the Ashanti's of Ghana.. Please make sure u are well researched on this topic cos, I will come and dismantle allbur lies. Later when I'm less busy. Stay tuned.

10 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 6:38pm On Oct 31, 2018
Ikio:
the ijaws where one of the first to do business with the white men!! ur facts are not correct.

Benins were. However, this is not about all ethnic group in Nigera. This is about top 10 in Africa.

Slavery got to other African countries before it reached Ijaws/Yorubas/Igbos.

Please focus on the topic.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Burna440(m): 6:38pm On Oct 31, 2018
Hotfreezer:
One thing of note is that the Hausas didn't really go through the trains-Atlantic slave route, they used the trans-saharan route in their slavery operations. That's why you see some blacks in Arab countries.

correct fact....ur head get oil unlike the ones arguing nonsense here
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 6:40pm On Oct 31, 2018
Ozibe:

Op I will respond to this falsehood in another thread later. It is good to say good things about Yoruba but please, saying things that don't add up and worse listing them as number 2 on what basis? Where are the Ashanti's of Ghana.. Please make sure u are well researched on this topic cos, I will come and dismantle allbur lies. Later when I'm less busy. Stay tuned.

Ashantis of Ghana will be number 13 in the list, assuming we have top 30 list. I am a researcher, Historian and Archeologist.

Ashantis of Ghana are not more influential than Igbos. Please read up history. This is about Influence. Its not about who was sold into slavery.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 6:42pm On Oct 31, 2018
darlingtonNYIG:
Fulani slave trade occurred more with the Arabs. The Tuaregs trafficked slaves way back before the trans-atlantic slaves trade. So Fulanis where victims and dealers in slavery.

SOme people are getting history wrong. Islam came to Nigeria through Fulanis before Christians.

You can see the way they are arguing here. They don't even know the history of Africa or Nigeria. They are ranting about how I am biased.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Hotfreezer: 6:44pm On Oct 31, 2018
proxillin:

SOme people are getting history wrong. Islam came to Nigeria through Fulanis before Christians.

You can see the way they are arguing here. They don't even know the history of Africa or Nigeria. They are ranting about how I am biased.

Islam came into Nigeria before Christianity that's a fact. Some of the earliest Christians converted from Islam to Christianity when Christianity came in.

You need to understand that most of those commenting here are doing so from an abundance of ignorance and primordial sentiments.

Most of those attacking you are Igbos who never agree with anything that doesn't favour them. Igbos in Mbaise fought with the pope, those in Ipob are fighting Jesus Christ.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Chukazu: 6:45pm On Oct 31, 2018
McStoic:

i don't think there were much Fulanis in slavery. The south's proximity to the coastal made them the highest numbers. Can you tell me any notable Fulani American or anyone of Fulani descent whose ancestors were known slaves?

Seems you just looking at Nigerian Fulanis?

Think of Senegalese too, they are close to the seas as well

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Hotfreezer: 6:47pm On Oct 31, 2018
Sharpsword:
OP, Yoruba slaves were not that much, how can they be second.

Hahahaha
See this gala hawker asking dumb questions!

7 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by abbeyty(m): 6:47pm On Oct 31, 2018
Op, hope you acknowledged to the owner of this video in your writeup Watch the video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PCd1ZV7cA&t=812s
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 6:53pm On Oct 31, 2018
abbeyty:
Op, hope you acknowledged to the owner of this video in your writeup Watch the video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PCd1ZV7cA&t=812s

Correct. I watched and took from the video.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by engrsyer(m): 6:57pm On Oct 31, 2018
proxillin:

WHich tribe..?

I can give u your position?
Ijaw
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by giles14(m): 6:58pm On Oct 31, 2018
chiboy1116:
Where is Hausa ? angry undecided
Hausa is a language not a tribe
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 7:00pm On Oct 31, 2018
Hotfreezer:

Hahahaha
See this gala hawker asking dumb questions!

What was the essence of popular Lagos port?

Oyo and Benin empire were at the center of this trade. Oyo sold many people as slave to buy Portuguese guns.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by cenaman(m): 7:00pm On Oct 31, 2018
proxillin:
1st Position: Mbundu People

They are the main tribe in Angola today. There are multiple stories surrounding their origin. But the most popular of all is that of a rumour of people originating from multiple Chieftains across Africa. In short, they are hybrids of different tribes across Africa. They were mostly taken to Brazil. They were the most popular and lucrative slave market for the Portuguese. Majority of Mbundu warlords were ship builders and architects. They built large ships used for transporting their own people to Brazil. That is why they are the largest black ethnic group in Brazil till date. Portuguese had it easy with them because it was cheaper transporting Mbundu slaves. Mbundu Chiefs built giant ships which really helped the Portuguese slaves Merchants.
So the world most expensive player na slave?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 7:01pm On Oct 31, 2018
engrsyer:
Ijaw

There are many more tribes more affected in Africa. Ijaw will not make top 20 trust me.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 7:01pm On Oct 31, 2018
martineverest:
God bless oba of Benin for banking slave trade

Ignorance is bliss, enjoy your bliss while it lasts.

However, go read about Oba Ovanramwen Nogbaisi. The Europeans actually messed him up. They took slaves (almost for free sef), looted the kindom's artefacts and burnt down the city.

Oba had to go into hiding in the forest for months because the Europeans had received orders that the Oba should be executed by hanging.

He was later pardoned but expelled from his own kingdom. In fact, he grew old and died there in exile at Calabar and buried there according to some sources (hence the reason why his head could not be sent to Ife for burial and other rites like his predecessors).

I didn't mean to hurt you with this historical facts, I was only trying to liberate you from your delusion of grandeur. I hope you understand ...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Hotfreezer: 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2018
proxillin:

What was the essence of popular Lagos port?

Oyo and Benin empire were at the center of this trade. Oyo sold many people as slave to buy Portuguese guns.

You're quoting the wrong poster. Your answer suits the clown asking dumb questions.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2018
People mentioning Ijaws...Hausas...

These tribes are not as infuential as Zulu.

The list is top 10. If we are to continue. Zulu will make 11th position.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by chiboy1116: 7:06pm On Oct 31, 2018
giles14:
Hausa is a language not a tribe
wtf are u saying man , be forming u know shit when u don't . undecided

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by proxillin(m): 7:09pm On Oct 31, 2018
chiboy1116:
wtf are u saying man , be forming u know shit when u don't . undecided

You are correct. Even Usman Danfodio adopted Hausa language after conquering them. Its evident in his scripts in London Museum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 31, 2018
Must everything be tribal? Even slave trade too some buffoons are proud of it.
I can never be proud of this animalistic act by my forefathers, selling their own blood for cheap gain.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 31, 2018
proxillin:

Benins were. However, this is not about all ethnic group in Nigera. This is about top 10 in Africa.

Slavery got to other African countries before it reached Ijaws/Yorubas/Igbos.

Please focus on the topic.
I still believe where the ijaws because most of there names are english names.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 31, 2018
proxillin:
People mentioning Ijaws...Hausas...

These tribes are not as infuential as Zulu.

The list is top 10. If we are to continue. Zulu will make 11th position.

It's not about being influential. Coastal people from Senegal down to Angola sold more slaves than those in the hinterlands(including the Igbos). This should never be a thing of pride for anyone.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Caleb Obari-Mark, Missing Nigerian Student In Ukraine: Parents Cry Out / Container Ship Blocking Suez Canal Is Free After 6 Days / Loaded Passenger Bus Plunges Into Canal In Oworonshoki, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.