Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade (42617 Views)

The 10 Most Influential Cities In The World / Noo Saro Wiwa Makes 30 Most Influential Women Travellers In The World List / 144 Stranded Nigerians Return From Libya Amid Slave Trade Crisis. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 01, 2018
TAO11:

Your foolishness is second to none.

You are suggesting that there were no people in Yorubaland prior to the transatlantic slave trade of (16th, 17th, and 18th centuries).

So it was trees, etc. that the European captors took from there abi?

So, it is wrong that freed slaves took originally from there should return back home abi.

You see the stupidity of your blind hatred?
Black people were captured all over Africa, what I am saying is that the people dumped in the south-west were not necessarily from the southwest. The only thing they had in common was that their ancestors were captured into slavery.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2018
TAO11:

Calm down brother or sister. You got so emotional about things that has already occurred in the past which you can't change.

The Binis actually believe they were thought the art and craft by Ife bronze casters. I will pardon your naiveness on the subject matter, because the fact that you maintained otherwise caused me to smile and say to my self "s(he) is just been emotional and uninformed".

To refute a fact such as the one I presented above, it is not enough to only say that "There's no where in history books (where it is mentioned that) Yorubas taught Binis". Your task is actually simply provide a counter evidence and not just say _no_ emotionally.

I didn't only claim that the Ife casters taught the Binis, I provided corroborative evidence to support my claim from those who are the leading experts in the world on this specific subject, those who are the present custodian of the bronzes from the two areas, those who met and interviewed the natives ab initio.

I quoted the precise words used by the British Museum authorities and experts in a documentary on the artifacts from Ife and Benin.

The documentary showed that the Europeans were dumbfounded when they first sighted the bronzes and they strongly doubted their African origins, but the Binis kept convincing them that they made the bronzes thenselves and that the know-how was taught to them by Ife bronze casters.

To use the precise words used by the British Museum experts in an earlier section of the same documentary, they said:

"The (Bini) people who made these majestic sculptures dating from the 16th to the 19th century were relative new comers in the art and craft of casting metal. Their oral traditions told them that they had learnt their skills from Yoruba people of Ife about a hundred miles away to the North West"

The foregoing statements on the origin of the skills are clear, emphatic, and precise than the foregoing statements. What more expert statement do you which to see on this subject?

Interestingly, the Bini bronze casters of the days of yore actually casted a commemorative bronze figure of a horse rider which they themselves interpreted to the Europeans as depicting an Ife bronze caster bringing the knowledge of casting to Benin land. The Yoruba tribal marks on either cheeks of the horse rider quickly corroborates the Benin people's interpretation today.

So, not everything is about emotions, tribalism and superiority. Some things are just fact starring at us. The earlier we accept them as what they are, the earlier toxicity stays far away.

On the issue of popularity, the Benin bronzes became popular I would say for two reasons: The fact that they came centuries later, and more importantly because of the dramatic unacceptable circumstances surrounding how the Europeans acquired them in the first place (through massive looting) unlike in the case of Ife where the transfer of the realtively much earlier bronzes were mutual and cordial.

Let me conclude by having you ponder on Paula Ben-Amos (an worldclass expert on Benin kingdom and a prominent author on the subject) and what he alluded to in relation to the two civilizations [Ife and Igodomigodo (the name for Benin before Oranmiyan's expedition to the land)].

Paula Ben-Amos noted that the people of Igodomigodo would be seeing a horse for the first time when Oranmiyan rode one into their land after the Bini's had consulted Ife for political and spiritual direction.

I am Edo, and in no way do I believe that yoruba taught Benin anything.
Could you (yoruba) stop speaking on behalf of other people ? (in this case Edo) ?
It is not our fault that you yoruba have nothing to be proud of, you have no history, stop claiming ours.
I don't know if you realize this but oranmiyan, igodomigodo, aduduwa... all these are fairytails.
The first european visitors to Benin Kingdom came around 600 years ago, they already witnessed the imperial palace of the Oba and the art on the walls of the palace, some carved ivory were even sold to the europeans...Stop trying to hijack the history of my people. Be proud of your Brazil, it is a beautiful country.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 4:12pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
When Oba Ovonramwen was fighting a war against the british, your ancestors were too busy giving up to the brutush without a fight. It is not news to anybody that Benin Kingdom lost a war to the british eventhough you seem to just have discovered it. Incase you didn't notice Nenin city (capital of the kingdom) is now part of british created nigeria. As for your other inaccurate claims: 1) the slave trade had already ended when Benin Kingdom fought uk.
2) the Oba of Benin left his palace and went into hiding (with his servants and generals and familly) only when his army had lost to the uk and british soldiers were about to take Benin City. The emperor of Rusdia did the same when Napoleon attacked Russia.
3) No Oba of Benin has ever been buried in ife, youyoruba have to stop claiming us, we are not yoruba and we don't want to be, rewrite your own history and leave us out of your madness.

Oga Ade calm down! Why your blood dey hot? You are just saying nonsense.

(1) There was never a war between the British and Benin kingdom. Do your homework once more and you'll realize that the Phillip's expedition to Benin (consisting of 10 persons) announced clearly that it came to "negotiate" and not to wipe-off the city. Nonetheless the Benin overzealous Oba announced that they should be attacked and 8 of them were killed.

(2) The British then later came for "Massacre" not "Negotiation" anymore which caused Benin to fall terribly.

The Oba didn't leave because they had lost (there was no war between two contenders to start with) he ran for dear life because he learnt of the order from U.K. to sentence him to death by hanging.

(3) He later came begging and was willing to exchange the kingdom's wealth for his own life (I think that's selfish. What happened to self sacrifice from a brave leader?)

(4) To say there was a war between UK and Benin kingdom is like saying Operation Python Dance was a war between the Nigerian Army and IPOB.

In fact, in history books, no where was that incident ever reffered to as war between UK and Benin kingdom. It is always referred to as "The Benin Massacre".

It is simply a case of a powerful force exercising its influence on a weak group of people who are at it's mercy.

(5) On the issue of burial. I didn't say some Obas of Benin were buried in Ife, rather I said the HEADS of the Obas were usually sent to Ife for burial there.

I noted that the head of Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi wasn't buried there because of the circumstances surrounding ding his death. In fact, Oba Adolo was the last Oba of Benin whose head was sent to Ife for burial.

I understand how emotional a Benin person may get when sensitive issues as this are touched. But it is just fact and we should accept facts and move on with life.

The typical response from Benin people in relation to this issue of burial thing is usually emotive, usually along the lines: "it's a lie", "we are not Yoruba people", etc.

But while I may accept (to some extent) that the Igodomigodo people are originally a different people, the monarchy of the Igodomigodo people actually changed from the native form (Ogisoship) to a foreign from (Obaship) from the time of Oranmiyan till today. The monarchy is largely (if not entirely) Yoruba, and the lineage of the monarchs of the land shifted permanently from the native lineage to one installed by an Ife prince till today through his descendants.

The place where the heads of the Obas of Benin were buried is up till today present in Ife even though the practice has stopped (or paused). But it is expected that every new Oba of Benin must pay homage (perhaps at least once in their lifetime) at the place. The place is called "Orun Oba 'Do".

The present Oba of Benin paid homage at the "Orun Oba 'Do" among other places he visited when he came on a 2 or 3 days visit to Ile-Ife earlier this year.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 4:22pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
I am Edo, and in no way do I believe that yoruba taught Benin anything.
Could you (yoruba) stop speaking on behalf of other people ? (in this case Edo) ?
It is not our fault that you yoruba have nothing to be proud of, you have no history, stop claiming ours.
I don't know if you realize this but oranmiyan, igodomigodo, aduduwa... all these are fairytails.
The first european visitors to Benin Kingdom came around 600 years ago, they already witnessed the imperial palace of the Oba and the art on the walls of the palace, some carved ivory were even sold to the europeans...Stop trying to hijack the history of my people. Be proud of your Brazil, it is a beautiful country.

Yeah I understand how emotional and inferior the subject has made you feel. But that shouldn't have been the case. It's not that serious. It's just historical fact staring at you.

You said you don't believe the Yorubas taught the Bini's anything. Sweetheart it doesn't matter what you BELIEVE, the world doesn't revolve around you dear.

What matters is fact, and not what you or I believe. Our emotions is miserably helpless in altering history no matter how hard we try.

So, I have laid bare the facts which I think is what you wanted to see when you alluded to "history books".

Moreover, I think I will trust the submission of experts in history, etc on this subject over and above your opinion that Oranmiyan, Igodomigodo, etc. are fairy tales. And expert hold these subjects to be facts.

I expected you to rise up from the ground, dust your self, and move on with life. It's not that serious.

You talked about Brazil.

To educate you, Brazil is not home for the Yoruba people, rather it is the other way round.

Ife (and Yoruba land at large) is home for many Brazilians that were shipped to Brazil (as well as other parts of the Americas) many centuries ago during the trans-atlantic slave trade period.

And these people are actually proud today to identify as Brazilian Yorubas.

Thank you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 01, 2018
I have no need to continue discussing with you or debunking your lies.
It s clear you have no shame and will not stop either denying easily verifyable facts or making up silly claims while calling anybody pointing that out an emotional person.
Time is too precious, I can't waste it discussiing with a slave descendent suffering from low self esteem who is bent on hijacking the history of my people.
It doesn't suffice that you rewrite your own history you want to rewrite that of my people as well.
All original documents are available, your attempts are futile, now I leave you to continue spitting against the wind.

TAO11:

(1) There was never a war between the British and Benin kingdom. Do your homework once more and you'll realize that the Phillip's expedition to Benin (consisting of 10 persons) announced clearly that it came to "negotiate" and not to wipe-off the city. Nonetheless the Benin overzealous Ova announced that they should be attacked and 8 of them were killed.

(2) The British then later came for "Massacre" not "Negotiation" anymore which caused Benin to fall terribly.

The Oba didn't leave because they had lost (there was no war between two contenders to start with) he ran for dear life because he learnt of the order from U.K. to sentence him to death by hanging.

(3) He later came begging and was willing to exchange the kingdom's wealth for his own life (I think that's selfish. What happened to self sacrifice from a brave leader?)

(4) To say there was a war between UK and Benin kingdom is like saying Operation Python Dance was a war between the Nigerian Army and IPOB.

In fact, in history books, no where was that incident ever reffered to as war between UK and Benin kingdom. It is always referred to as "The Benin Massacre".

It is simply a case of a powerful force exercising its influence on a weak group of people who are at it's mercy.

(5) On the issue of burial. I didn't say some Obas of Benin were buried in Ife, rather I said the HEADS of the Obas were usually sent to Ife for burial there.

I noted that the head of Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi wasn't buried there because of the circumstances surrounding ding his death. In fact, Oba Adolo was the last Oba of Benin whose head was sent to Ife for burial.

I understand how emotional a Benin person may get when sensitive issues as this are touched. But it is just fact and we should accept facts and move on with life.

The typical response from Benin peopke in relation to this issue of burial thing is usually emotive, usually along the lines: "it's a lie", "we are not Yoruba people", etc.

But while I may accept that the Igodomigodo people are originally a different people, the monarchy of the Igodomigodo people actually changed from the native form (Ogisoship) to a foreign from (Obaship) from the time of Oranmiyan till today. The monarchy is largely (if not entirely) Yoruba, and the lineage of the Obas of Benin shifted permanently from the native lineage to one installed by the Ife prince till today through his descendants.

The place where the heads of the Obas of Benin were buried is up till today present in Ife (even though) the practice has stopped (or paused). But it is expected that every new Oba of Benin must pay homage (perhaps at least once in their lifetime) at the place. The place is called "Orun Oba 'Do".

The present Oba of Benin paid homage at the "Orun Oba 'Do" among other places he visited when he came on a 2 or 3 days visit to Ile-Ife earlier this year.

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 4:42pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
I have no need to continue discussing with you or debunking your lies.
It s clear you have no shame and will not stop either denying easily verifyable facts or making up silly claims while calling anybody pointing that out an emotional person.
Time is too precious, I can't waste it discussiing with a slave descendent suffering from low self esteem who is bent on hijacking the history of my people.
It doesn't suffice that you rewrite your own history you want to rewrite that of my people as well.
All original documents are available, your attempts are futile, now I leave you to continue spitting against the wind.

Sweet heart , Your task is actually far more easier than what you've done here.

I think you simply wasted your time which I know is precious. All you would have done instead of calling me liar, shameless, etc. for no just cause is to simply point out that I said so and so, but historical fact says so and so ( which is different from what I said) while mentioning your source (or at least the terms used in your sources for easy verification).

Instead, you went on an almost endless rant of slave, esteem, and an available document which you are dead-scared of citing or quoting from.

It is obvious to anyone who has the slightest sense of discernment who the liar, shameless person, lowly esteemed person, etc. actually is.

Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2018
For those who are actually interested in history, this is from the brits themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2Tac1gNPU&t=5s
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 01, 2018
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 01, 2018
Jealous slave descendents will have a stroke when spotting these once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrdunRXfbw
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2018
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 01, 2018
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Benin+Ivory&sa=N&rlz=1C1ZKTG_frFR807FR807&biw=1366&bih=608&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=UnaxCnqnUsrKEM%253A%252CPmhWW9jogPUxLM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQA6j8MUMghxbGI9qrvWS64zdHL1A&ved=2ahUKEwiFmo6jx7PeAhWOxIsKHQdMD8c4ChD1ATAEegQIAxAM#imgrc=UnaxCnqnUsrKEM:
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 01, 2018
Now, why a guy would try to rewrite easily available and well doocumented history ? That in my opinion can only be due to madness.
This is the same as a guy who is confronted with a video of himself breaking a vase, yet he keeps denying and claiming he was never there.
madness coupled with low self-esteem. Attempt at stealing other people's history. Jealousy.
Hmmm, i used to pity slave descendants...I think I was right, they are desperate.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
Black people were captured all over Africa, what I am saying is that the people dumped in the south-west were not necessarily from the southwest. The only thing they had in common was that their ancestors were captured into slavery.

But you would sha agree with me that it was foolish of you to have said that Yorubas descended from those returnees.

Because such statement (obviously borne out of some hate and envy that I'm yet to be able to explain) gives off the foolish impression that the returnees were the ancestors of what is known today as Yoruba people.

The returnees were dispersed to several places including other West African countries like Ghana among others.

In Nigeria, they were settled not only in Yoruba land (and not throughout Yoruba land). They settled in Lagos colony, Abeokuta, and Ibadan (and bear in mind that many of them are originally Yoruba by ancestry, and all of them in these 3 Yoruba cities form a very insignificant portion of the population of these places) So, how then could they have been the ancestors of the significantly larger population they met.

The other parts of Nigeria they were settled in include: PortHarcourt, Calabar, and other cities in the Niger Delta.

Please get your facts right and stop being unnecessarily emotional

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 5:12pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
For those who are actually interested in history, this is from the brits themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2Tac1gNPU&t=5s

smiles ... I am still waiting for your evidence that the Benin didn't learn the art and craft from the Yorubas.

I have provided mine from the custodian of the same Museum where these specific bronzes are kept today.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 5:15pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
You can't fake greatness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzfRWMeaB6w

So, I take it that all you have as evidence is that the Bini's also casted bronzes just as the Igbo-Ukwu did, and the Ife people did.

But I already know that and I mentioned that repeatedly

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
Jealous slave descendents will have a stroke when spotting these once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrdunRXfbw

So, you seem to think that bringing up videos showing that the Bini's actually casted bronzes will detract me from what the main contention is.

To remind you, the contention is that the Yorubas taught the Bini's the art and craft of bronze casting.

I have provided you with evidence for that. I am waiting for your evidence to the contrary which you claimed.

Instead you brought up evidence for something else. You brought up evidence for something I already mentioned. Thank you for providing evidence to support some of my claims that the Bini's actually casted bronzes.

But you are yet to provide me evidence that it was not the Yorubas that taught them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 5:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
Benin, again and always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ydV-Xab-G8

Please bring me the evidence for your contrary claim that it wasn't the Yorubas who taught the Bini's the art of bronze casting.

You have failed REPEATEDLY to do so.

I have claimed the fact that the Yoruba taught the Benin's the art and craft because the Yoruba civilization was centuries ahead.

I cited the British Museum experts and authorities (the same Museum in the video links you be pasted here) as my basis.

The British Museum experts even went as far as mentioning that the kings of Benin pay homage to Ife.

What more evidence do you want for the fact that the ancient civilization at Ile-Ife was superior to (and far ahead of) the one at Benin.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by olajide8(m): 5:34pm On Nov 01, 2018
TAO11:

Any evidence for the "also known as" ?

Moreover, Eleru means "one who causes fear"; "one who has got lots properties, loads, etc"; among other meanings depending on the tone of pronouncing it.

One word, 2 possible meanings- I watched a documentary on NTA on this matter Iwo eleru - Owo eleru- I once told someone that we yoruba's are the original slave drivers - we caught slaves during local territorial wars sold slaves amongst ourselves to bolster the size of the household and workmanship, and was also the reason, for many wars among communities -

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2018
prolog2:
Now, why a guy would try to rewrite easily available and well doocumented history ? That in my opinion can only be due to madness.
This is the same as a guy who is confronted with a video of himself breaking a vase, yet he keeps denying and claiming he was never there.
madness coupled with low self-esteem. Attempt at stealing other people's history. Jealousy.
Hmmm, i used to pity slave descendants...I think I was right, they are desperate.

Sweetheart stop your negativity to your own self because of your failed attempt at being cunny.

I asked for an evidence for A, you went and provided me with evidences for B.

I don't need evidence from you that there are some Benin bronzes in the British Museum collections because I know that already and I repeatedly alluded to that.

Of course the Igbo-Ukwu bronze artifacts and the Ife bronze artifacts which both date to centuries earlier than any known Benin bronze artifact are also in the British Museum collections. And there are video documentaries all over the internet in respect of these artifacts, not only the Benin artifacts.

But that is not our contention...

Our contention is simple and you know it:

The art and craft of bronze casting in Benin was learnt by the Binis from their masters, the Ife bronze casters.

If you think this not true, then provide evidence to the contrary (preferably from this same British Museum in your videos, but at least not from your village chiefs sha)

I have provided my evidence from the British Museum experts. I am waiting for yours.

Please refer to the video in the link below for the statements made by the British Museum experts for the source of bronze casting technique of the Benin bronzes (specifically time "00:46:53 to 00:50:22"wink :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRSNMHSzbAM&t=39s

Also, please refer to the video in the link below for report on places visited by Oba of Benin during his 2 days visit to Osun-State earlier this year (specifically time "00:21 to 00:42"wink :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhU2AmpvJk

Please accept facts when they are been presented especially with evidences like this. The civilization at Ile-Ife was superior to (and far ahead of) the one at Benin by many many centuries.

Thank you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 5:44pm On Nov 01, 2018
olajide8:

One word, 2 possible meanings- I watched a documentary on NTA on this matter Iwo eleru - Owo eleru- I once told someone that we yoruba's are the original slave drivers - we caught slaves during local territorial wars sold slaves amongst ourselves to bolster the size of the household and workmanship, and was also the reason, for many wars among communities -

Thank you Olajide for educating me today.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Favor99(m): 7:30am On Nov 02, 2018
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Favor99(m): 7:55am On Nov 02, 2018
TAO11:

(1) There was never a war between the British and Benin kingdom. Do your homework once more and you'll realize that the Phillip's expedition to Benin (consisting of 10 persons) announced clearly that it came to "negotiate" and not to wipe-off the city. Nonetheless the Benin overzealous Oba announced that they should be attacked and 8 of them were killed.

The typical response from Benin people in relation to this issue of burial thing is usually emotive, usually along the lines: "it's a lie", "we are not Yoruba people", etc.

But while I may accept that the Igodomigodo people are originally a different people, the monarchy of the Igodomigodo people actually changed from the native form (Ogisoship) to a foreign from (Obaship) from the time of Oranmiyan till today. The monarchy is largely (if not entirely) Yoruba, and the lineage of the monarchs of the land shifted permanently from the native lineage to one installed by an Ife prince till today through his descendants.

The place where the heads of the Obas of Benin were buried is up till today present in Ife even though the practice has stopped (or paused). But it is expected that every new Oba of Benin must pay homage (perhaps at least once in their lifetime) at the place. The place is called "Orun Oba 'Do".

You have some kind of condescending hate for Edo or something. Those are not how the events transpired with the 1897 invasion of Benin. You obviously are tribalistic.
The British needed an excuse to invade Benin.
And no where has it been stated that the oba sold off or gave the British their artwork. All history books state that the artwork was stolen by the British during the invasion of the city

In southern Nigeria we are all related as well as middle belt Nigeria, and middle belters are related to north. We are all connected. Yoruba, Edo, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Igbo, Anioma etc.
I would suggest you stop making demeaning and condescending comments, were not your enemies, rather we’re brothers.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 02, 2018
Don't waste your time by talking to a troll and trying to bring some sense into him.
The guy is obviously mentally ill.
Please don't waste your time. Don't read his trash. Trolls feed on people paying attention to their trash.

Favor99:

You have some kind of condescending hate for Edo or something. Those are not how the events transpired with the 1897 invasion of Benin. You obviously are tribalistic.
And no where has it been stated that the oba sold off or gave the British their artwork. All history books state that the artwork was stolen by the British during the invasion of the city

In southern Nigeria we are all related as well as middle belt Nigeria, and middle belters are related to north. We are all connected. Yoruba, Edo, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw, Igbo, Anioma etc.
I would suggest you stop making demeaning and condescending comments, were not your enemies, rather we’re brothers.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 6:06pm On Nov 02, 2018
Favor99:

Hello Favor99, welcome back.

You noted that the British needed an excuse to invade Benin. If we seek to be really objective, then we will realize that whatever the intention of the British was with respect to the 10 man Philip's expedition can not be known by us with any certainty.

What we do know for certain is that they announced that their visit was for "negotiation" purpose. It is only fair that we stick to what we know. And I doubt if the British would have intended invasion with just 10 men, that is extremely unlikely.

You are accurate about your statement that the British looted the artifacts of Benin kingdom and not that the Oba sold off the artifacts to them. But I already said that in one of my replies to you or prolog2; so what's your point here?

After the overzealous Oba directed that the 10 man Phillip's expedition be attacked leading to the death of 8 of them. The British then reinforced for destruction.

I know you are referring to my statement that the Oba offered the kingdom's wealth in exchange for his life when he came out of hiding (in the forest) after six months during the British's reinforcement known in history as "The Benin Massacre".

This is a fact that I'm shocked you're unaware of. Even a quick search on the internet will have saved you this embarrassment of being unaware of basic things in your history.

But I will save you the stress. The then Oba of Benin (Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi) came out of hiding offering the kingdom's wealth which consists of barrels of oil (worth £183, 000 today) and ivory tusks (worth about £ 276, 000, 000 today) in exchange for his life.

He is actually a selfish coward, isn't he? He was still expelled from his kingdom anyways.

I actually do not intend to make you or any Benin person for that matter feel bad. What I detest so strongly is when people lie with a straight face while trying to make others feel bad when in fact they are the ones that should feel bad because they are the blatant liar.

I understand your point about us being brothers and sisters. I get it deeply. I usually don't go the route of supremacy battle except when I am forced to. And I was forced to when someone ranked Benin's artifact as older than Ife's artifact. That is one of the most inaccurate statements. And even the most naive student of African history knows it is inaccurate and a complete spin and twist of historical fact.

I have demonstrated that not only are the Ife's artifacts centuries earlier than the Benin's artifacts, the technique of metal casting was actually taught to the Bini's by Ife bronze casters and I have buttressed that with convincing evidence as seen and heard in the video I posted.

The British Museum documentary which I posted stated clearly that the kings of Benin from the days of yore paid homage to Ile-Ife. And that has been corroborated in our modern times by the actions of the present Oba of Benin and his predecessor by their homage paying to Ife.

I posted a video where it is reported that the present Oba of Benin paid homage at the "Orun Oba 'Do" shrine in Ile-Ife when he visited Osun State earlier this year on a two-day visit.

So, please understand that I do not intend to let all this out. I have only responded as a result of the provocation I felt by the lies of a certain individual here, on their inaccurate statement regarding which is earlier of the Ife bronze artifacts and the Benin bronze artifacts. And I noticed that no Benin person (not even you) said anything to correct him or her.

Also, prolog2 insisted that the Bini's didn't learn the skill of metal casting from the Yorubas (even though he/she didn't provide any supporting evidence for the blank claim).

It will be irresponsible of me to keep mute while the public is been misinformed when i am aware of what the facts really are (even if I'm not Yoruba), hence the reason I have laid bare the facts.

Thus, my intention is not to hurt anyone's feelings. But I'm not sorry for hurting a liar's feelings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Sardauna24(m): 7:09pm On Nov 02, 2018
TheSorrowfulMan:

Useless terrorist, so legal money is when you steal the wealth of the Niger Delta and enriched yourselve, You bear the name of a terrorist king... Sardauna of Sokoto,

Without Southern Nigeria, the North would be like Niger republic and Chad, silly Almajiri
May zuma rock fall on ur dick flat head gang
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Favor99(m): 7:37pm On Nov 02, 2018
prolog2:
Don't waste your time by talking to a troll and trying to bring some sense into him.
Please don't waste your time. Don't read his trash. Trolls feed on people paying attention to their trash.

Lol yea he is condescending and is a troll. Too many people like him in nairaland. Tribalism wasn’t that bad 2 years ago, I wonder what happened. How you been though?
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 7:53pm On Nov 02, 2018
prolog2:

That part where you asked or begged him not to "read his trash" really got me. grin grin

Perhaps if he reads, he may find out the truth which no lie can veil? Just as you couldn't provide evidence that it wasn't from the Yorubas that the Bini's learnt metal casting art.

See I have once pointed out to you that everything is not about you or about Edo.

Someone (not nexessarily you or Favor99) will see the facts I have put down here and get to know the truth and identify you and others like you as a liar (at least on the points we've debated thus far).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by TAO11(f): 8:11pm On Nov 02, 2018
Favor99:

Lol yea he is condescending and is a troll. Too many people like him in nairaland. Tribalism wasn’t that bad 2 years ago, I wonder what happened. How you been though?

Sweetheart I believe if you choose to be objective you will realize that my intentions for consistently debunking all the false claims have me made known to you above. and I think my intentions are fair enough, they are not just some supremacist stuff.

Moreover, a troll is not defined as someone who consistently debunks a lie and who consistently asks for evidence from the liars whenever they fail to present one.

So, I advice both of you to please revisit the definition of a troll and then apply it appropriately going forward, Okay?

And lastly,

If the definition of a tribalist is a person who tiredlessly defends against lies and falsehoods that are being perpetrated on the history, culture and civilization of a people (regardless of who perpetrates it and who it is being perpetrated against); then I am a proud tribalist grin grin.

Thank You for your time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Favor99(m): 8:22pm On Nov 02, 2018
TAO11:

Sweetheart I believe if you choose to be objective you will realize that my intentions for consistently debunking all the false claims have me made known to you above. and I think my intentions are fair enough, they are not just some supremacist stuff.

Moreover, a troll is not defined as someone who consistently debunks a lie and who consistently asks for evidence from the liars whenever they fail to present one.

So, I advice both of you to please revisit the definition of a troll and then apply it appropriately going forward, Okay?

And lastly,

If the definition of a tribalist is a person who tiredlessly defends against lies and falsehoods that are being perpetrated on the history, culture and civilization of a people (regardless of who perpetrates it and who it is being perpetrated against); then I am a proud tribalist grin grin.

Thank You for your time

Are you a girl or a guy? Why do you keep using words like sweetie or sweetheart or baby?
Anyway not my problem.
You are a tribalist. Those things you said of the oba are lies.
Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Favor99(m): 8:35pm On Nov 02, 2018
Tao11
No where here is it mentioned that the oba sold his people out and gave the British his artwork in exchange. Your a liar. Your Yoruba kings were selling your own into slavery. One person on this thread praised Oba that he did no such thing, and that’s how you snapped and this whole thing started. Anyway here are facts.

Re: Top 10 Most Influential African Tribes During Atlantic Slave Trade by Favor99(m): 8:37pm On Nov 02, 2018
More food for thought tao11

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Caleb Obari-Mark, Missing Nigerian Student In Ukraine: Parents Cry Out / The Moment Emirates Arrives Abuja International Airport New Terminal (video) / List Of Unsafe Locations In Lagos State!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.