Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,659 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study (1748 Views)

Buhari Coup Was Done In Ignorance- Lar / How The Orkar Coup Was Planned - Turner Ogboru / Max Siollun Unravels That The 1966 Coup Was Not Just An ''igbo Coup'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 9:07am On Jul 20, 2010
July'66 Coup Planned by Nationalists, Says Study

Forty-four years after the July 29, 1966 coup, a team of researchers from the University of Southern California, United States, yesterday faulted the widely held belief that the action was masterminded by the Hausas, saying that it was not an Hausa coup.

The study revealed that the coup was organized by Nationalists who were motivated by events that took place in the United States that led to the start of the Civil Rights Movement.

They also pointed out that the intention was to make the late Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe and Lt.Col Ojukwu Prime Minister and King respectively, promote peace all over Nigeria and to put Yorubas in their rightful place- - - - beneath the Ibos!!!

Addressing newsmen in Northern Nigeria yesterday as part of activities lined up for the planned anniversary of the 1966 coup, a member of the group and Conflict scholar, Imam Ibraheem El Mukhtabi, said the revelation was the outcome of a 22-year study undertaken by the team of scholars from the University on the subject matter.

He described as unfortunate, the way and manner Lt.Col Ojukwu, who was then the Administrator of the Estern Region had told the story, insinuating that it is the root cause of Hausas being looked upon today as blood-thirsty vampire-men.

El Mukhtabi said that he is prepared to face the retired Biafran warlord in a debate to prove that Hausas never masterminded the coup.
According to him, declassified information from some US Libraries and Nigerian Police reports about the end purpose of the coup, indicated that Hausas never executed it. He added that it was Hausas that stopped the coup.

“The July 15 coup was organized by Nationalists who were motivated by the events that took place in The United States, the murder of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King,  and the end purpose of that coup was to install as Prime Minister of Nigeria, the late Nnamdi Azikiwe and to crown Ojukwu as King of a Nigerian Kigdom. Plus, the immediate impact of that coup was to "put the Yorubas in their place", and to show solidarity with the Ibo revolutionaries who had been falsely accused of executing the Jan.1966 coup (even though majority of the coup plotters were Ibo and no important Ibo personality was killed, while important non-Ibos were murdered in cold blood).

“We have studied critically the actors and we have had literature review and we may be rewriting the Nigeria history because it is only the lost tribe that allows its literature to be written by others. I will like the respected media of Nigeria to organize a serious debate between El Mukhatabi, one of the conflict scholars with another actor in the series of the Nigerian coup who has continuously accused the Hausas of being the masterminds of the July 15 coup: Odumegwu Ojukwu. I need him to come around for a debate so that we end this thing and rewrite the obscure and unkind history of Nigeria that put the Hausas as the masterminds of that coup,” he said.

The scholar alleged that Gwale, Kano State where he hails from was victimized to the extent that it lost its best. He added that declassified information on the event has shown how the people were massacred.
“In fact the July 15 coup is a fathom of Hausa coup and I still maintain that Major Murtala Muhammed was not Hausa. He was a Ibo boy. Gwale was victimized to such a catastrophic scale that the crème of the Gwale generation of 1966 were wiped out.

“Infact the in-law to the Abachas, the man who came to read the welcome address for the passing soldiers, Mr. Jaffar was massacred. As I am talking to you now, I lost my Goats, I lost two of my cows and and my pregnant She-Camel that was expecting twins. Anybody who said I should be afraid of those who killed my dear domesticated animals is talking a marine story. I have here letter of those who perpetrated the act because they thought Murtala came from Kano, that Murtala was Hausas that he killed their own brother generals. But our study, especially with the 22-year that have elapsed with the declassification of information on this coup have proved that it was not an Hausa coup,” he said.

The scholar who claimed to have written several books on conflicts in Africa stated that it would be “madness” for Hausas to have staged the coup since they were in control of the affairs of the country.

“ As at Jan.1966, Northern Nigeria had a lot of peace at the time, they didn’t lead a coup; we were Commander-in-Chief, a Northerner was Prime Minister, we had the "real" power as the President was a mere, useless, figure-head. We had the Prime minister, and Parliamentary majority. We had two regions out of the four in that federal set up. So it would be madness for an Hausa man to offset a structure that favoured them. So our analysis, scientific studies have proved beyond reasonable doubt that the July 29, 1966 coup was probably the last Nigerian revolution," he argued.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=08767
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 9:15am On Jul 20, 2010
lol. Cowards. they come on, read it then sneak off like the vermin they are!lol
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by yiboboy: 9:23am On Jul 20, 2010
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 9:24am On Jul 20, 2010
Punks! Ova 20 of them came to read it already then they sneak of into the night like nocturnal monsters! beasts!
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 9:26am On Jul 20, 2010
yiboboy:

Dude, I want your comment on the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-481618.0.html#bot

Lol. I saw it but I dont know nothing about the topic, so I'll pass!lol. They animals anyways, wut'd u expect?
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 9:32am On Jul 20, 2010
Over 30 came in to read this post within 2 minutes, yet, they all scared to say anything! Why wont they be scared. Liars!
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by Okijajuju1(m): 9:33am On Jul 20, 2010
Y'all should keep living in 1966.

I have nothing to say on this issue. I didnt fight in that war, but the stories of the war which I heard has thought me that it is a good thing it is over, and Insha Allah we shall never have cause to fight again.
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 9:43am On Jul 20, 2010
Okija_juju:

Y'all should keep living in 1966.

I have nothing to say on this issue. I didnt fight in that war, but the stories of the war which I heard has thought me that it is a good thing it is over, and Insha Allah we shall never have cause to fight again.

I'm hoping this prayer is for ONlylies and co!
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 10:08am On Jul 20, 2010
Ibos and lies!!!
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by onyengbu1(m): 10:38am On Jul 20, 2010
bk/babe97:

lol. Cowards. they come on, read it then sneak off like the vermin they are!lol

No you dont get it, it appears 'they' are learning to ignore you and your latest mess buddy - yiboboy.

You will soon be bored out of nairaland.
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 10:41am On Jul 20, 2010
onye_ngbu:

No you dont get it, it appears 'they' are learning to ignore you and your latest mess buddy - yiboboy.

You will soon be bored out of nairaland.

No, YOU dont get it! Your brothers are known to flee like Ojukwu when truth stares them in the face!
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2010
Ah, the Ibos have fled the arena!
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by onyengbu1(m): 7:39pm On Jul 20, 2010
bk/babe97:

Ah, the Ibos have fled the arena!
grin grin
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 7:59pm On Jul 20, 2010
onye_ngbu:

grin grin

yEP, now I've let them see that them so called July'66 Hausa boys was really Ibos in disguise, now they sulking and have all gone to bed. . . . or to commit suicide!
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by chyz(m): 8:05pm On Jul 20, 2010
funny stuvs mehn
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by bkbabe97: 4:24am On Jul 21, 2010
No not funny by any measure! I'm pissed that all along these dudes I used to think was Hausas was really Ibos! angry
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by chyz(m): 4:25am On Jul 21, 2010
boo hoo cry
Re: July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study by onyengbu1(m): 8:55am On Jul 21, 2010
bk/babe97:

yEP, now I've let them see that them so called July'66 Hausa boys was really Ibos in disguise, now they sulking and have all gone to bed. . . . or to commit suicide!

bk/babe97:

No not funny by any measure! I'm pissed that all along these dudes I used to think was Hausas was really Ibos! angry

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Pres. Jonathan Goodluck willl Contest Next Election. He Sent Me An Sms This Evening / Magnus Kpakol And The Keke Napep Scam / Sen Ararume And His Ordeal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.