Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk (13188 Views)

Woman Gives Birth To A Mystery Baby In Lagos(pictures) / Woman Delivers A Faceless Baby In Aba (pic) / Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by jupita: 10:33am On Jul 20, 2010
British Nmachi Ihegboro has amazed genetics experts who say the little girl is NOT an albino.

Dad Ben, 44, a customer services adviser, admitted: "We both just sat there after the birth staring at her."
Mum Angela, 35, of Woolwich, South London, beamed as she said: "She's beautiful - a miracle baby."

Ben told yesterday how he was so shocked when Nmachi was born, he even joked: "Is she MINE?"

He added: "Actually, the first thing I did was look at her and say, 'What the flip?'"

But as the baby's older brother and sister - both black - crowded round the "little miracle" at their home in South London, Ben declared: "Of course she's mine."

Blue-eyed blonde Nmachi, whose name means "Beauty of God" in the Nigerian couple's homeland, has baffled genetics experts because neither Ben nor wife Angela have ANY mixed-race family history.
Pale genes skipping generations before cropping up again could have explained the baby's appearance.

Ben also stressed: "My wife is true to me. Even if she hadn't been, the baby still wouldn't look like that.

"We both just sat there after the birth staring at her for ages - not saying anything."

Advertisement
Quantcast

Doctors at Queen Mary's Hospital in Sidcup - where Angela, from nearby Woolwich, gave birth - have told the parents Nmachi is definitely no albino.

Ben, who came to Britain with his wife five years ago and works for South Eastern Trains, said: "She doesn't look like an albino child anyway - not like the ones I've seen back in Nigeria or in books. She just looks like a healthy white baby."

He went on: "My mum is a black Nigerian although she has a bit fairer skin than mine.

"But we don't know of any white ancestry. We wondered if it was a genetic twist.

"But even then, what is with the long curly blonde hair?"

Professor Bryan Sykes, head of Human Genetics at Oxford University and Britain's leading expert, yesterday called the birth "extraordinary".

He said: "In mixed race humans, the lighter variant of skin tone may come out in a child - and this can sometimes be startlingly different to the skin of the parents.

"This might be the case where there is a lot of genetic mixing, as in Afro-Caribbean populations. But in Nigeria there is little mixing."

Prof Sykes said BOTH parents would have needed "some form of white ancestry" for a pale version of their genes to be passed on.

But he added: "The hair is extremely unusual. Even many blonde children don't have blonde hair like this at birth."
The expert said some unknown mutation was the most likely explanation.

He admitted: "The rules of genetics are complex and we still don't understand what happens in many cases."

The amazing birth comes five years after Kylie Hodgson became mum to twin daughters - one white and the other black - in Nottingham.

Kylie, now 23, and her partner Remi Horder, now 21, are both mixed race.

Even so the odds were estimated at a million to one.

The Sun told in 2002 how a white couple had Asian twins after a sperm mix-up by a fertility clinic.

Yesterday three-day-old Nmachi's churchgoing mum Angela admitted that she was "speechless" at first seeing her baby girl, who was delivered in a caesarean op.

She said: "I thought, 'What is this little doll?'

"She's beautiful and I love her. Her colour doesn't matter. She's a miracle baby.

"But still, what on earth happened here?"

Her husband told how their son Chisom, four, was even more confused than them by his new sister.

Ben said: "Our other daughter Dumebi is only two so she's too young to understand.

"But our boy keeps coming to look at his sister and then sits down looking puzzled.

"We're a black family. Suddenly he has a white sister."

Ben continued: "Of course, we are baffled too and want to know what's happened. But we understand life is very strange.

"All that matters is that she's healthy and that we love her.She's a proud British Nigerian."

Queen Mary's Hospital said: "Congratulations to Angela and her family on the birth of their daughter."

Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by Greycells(m): 10:59am On Jul 20, 2010
They should do a DNA test joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by omofat: 11:14am On Jul 20, 2010
Paternity tessssssssssssssssssst
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by jupita: 11:16am On Jul 20, 2010
Genetics professors expressed amazement at the birth last night.

'The birth is extraordinary,' said Professor Bryan Sykes, head of human genetics at Oxford University.

'In mixed race humans, the lighter variant of skin tone may come out in a child and this can sometimes be startlingly different to the skin of the parents.'

Professor Sykes said both parents would have needed 'some form of white ancestry.'

He added: 'The hair is extremely unusual. Even many blonde children don't have blonde hair like this at birth.

'The rules of genetics are complex and we still don't understand what happens in many cases.

'This might be a case where there is a lot of genetic mixing, as in Afro-Caribbean populations.

'But in Nigeria there is little mixing.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296159/Black-British-couple-birth-white-blue-eyed-blonde-baby-girl.html#ixzz0uDU28hNQ
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by Greycells(m): 11:38am On Jul 20, 2010
@Jupita.

I have read The Sun account. They should do a DNA test angry angry angry angry angry

Paternity test! Paternity test!

Paternity test! Paternity test!
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by ObamaUS: 11:52am On Jul 20, 2010
Abeegi make dem no confuse oo joo, they shoould take the woman to AYELALA shrine in Ondo state to swear that she never got screwed by a whitie,

There must have been a britiko that was covering shift for the man
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by tpiah: 11:54am On Jul 20, 2010
Even many blonde children don't have blonde hair like this at birth

true.

also, quite a lot of caucasian babies are actually more or less bald at birth. The hair grows in later.
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by jupita: 11:56am On Jul 20, 2010
greycells, i totally agree with you, but don't you think the hospital would have done a thorough check before coming public with the news. . .am sure they would have considered if the baby was mistakinly switched with another  and also a paternity test.
according to the daily mail the father initially asked "is she mine?" and later accepted her as his daughter.

Genetic experts have no explanation. . . as the baby as being ruled out as an albino and the parents are not of mixed races.
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by Greycells(m): 11:58am On Jul 20, 2010
@Jupita.

They should make the fact that a DNA test has been done on the child public.

We should not be left guessing for the child's sake!
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by jupita: 12:04pm On Jul 20, 2010
my brother am as puzzled as you. . . but this is not general hospital idumota
it would even be more diffucult for white people to accept this "miracle"
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by Greycells(m): 12:07pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Tpiah.

So, the child is not an albino but a causcasian produced by two pure Africans?
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by Greycells(m): 12:14pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Jupita,

It is not our local hospital in 9ja, but please also note that they cannot conduct a test on the child, and the parents without their consent.

And also, in that society you dare not speak or specualte about the couple's or child's details without running foul of the law.

I am sure u will recall the story of a couple that a twin, one black, one white. It turned out that the lady in question was with two men within 24 hours!
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by jupita: 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2010
it would not be in the best interest of the hospital to make such a mistake, am sure they would have checked and checked all loose end before breaking the news to the public.

the parents must have insisted on a dna test. . . how would you explain the father questioning the parteernity and later accepting.
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by Greycells(m): 12:37pm On Jul 20, 2010
Am sure the hospital did not breal the news, maybe the parents sold the story to the tabloids!
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by jupita: 12:40pm On Jul 20, 2010
the story u are referring to is called paternity twins, am not a medical person but from the little understanding i have, it happens when a woman releases more than one egg during ovulation (its mostly common with women who find it difficult to conceive normally,so their ovaries are stimulated through medical science)
so if she sleeps with two men within the same ovulation period its possible for the two eggs to be fertilized by sperms from the two men as seen in the case of the example u cited.

thats why you cant have a boy and a girl identical twin, because embryo splits into two but in the case of the multiple eggs, they are fertilised seperately. . . have u ever seen an identical triplets?,
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by tpiah: 12:43pm On Jul 20, 2010
G-reycells:

@Tpiah.

So, the child is not an albino but a causcasian produced by two pure Africans?

you read me wrong.
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by Greycells(m): 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Tpiah,

Sorry about dt! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by tpiah: 1:35pm On Jul 20, 2010
no probs wink
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by aieromon(m): 2:23am On Jul 21, 2010
I find this hard to believe.The story just doesn't add up.
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by ta10: 3:42pm On Jul 25, 2010
Goes to show how scientifically there is no such thing as 'race'.

The genes for skin colour are less than a handful of the billion other genes that make up a person.

It's sad that we as humans focus on that 0.000013% difference.
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by memes: 10:24pm On Jul 27, 2010
HELLO EVERYONE , I DON'T THINK THEY NEED ANY DNA TEST, BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN BEFORE IN NIGERIA. MY MOTHER GAVE BIRTH TO TWIN GIRLS BUT ONE WAS BORN WITH A GOLDEN HAIR AND A LIGHT SICK THAN THE OTHER. WE USE TO CALL HER GOLDEN CHILD. AND AM SURE THAT MY MOTHER HAS NOT SEEN A WHITE MAN BEFORE, SO IS THE ACT OF GOD. BUT MY SISTER THEY SHAVE OFF HER FIRST HAIR AND IT GREW BACK BUT NOT AS GOLDEN AS BEFORE, ONE OF MY YOUNGER HER ONE PART OF THE HAIR COLOUR IS BROWN I MY SELF HAVE A GREY HAIR. LET WAIT TILL THE BABY SHAVE OFF HER FIRST HAIR.
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by SoldierPikin: 8:58am On Jun 18, 2013
memes: HELLO EVERYONE , I DON'T THINK THEY NEED ANY DNA TEST, BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN BEFORE IN NIGERIA. MY MOTHER GAVE BIRTH TO TWIN GIRLS BUT ONE WAS BORN WITH A GOLDEN HAIR AND A LIGHT SICK THAN THE OTHER. WE USE TO CALL HER GOLDEN CHILD. AND AM SURE THAT MY MOTHER HAS NOT SEEN A WHITE MAN BEFORE, SO IS THE ACT OF GOD. BUT MY SISTER THEY SHAVE OFF HER FIRST HAIR AND IT GREW BACK BUT NOT AS GOLDEN AS BEFORE, ONE OF MY YOUNGER HER ONE PART OF THE HAIR COLOUR IS BROWN I MY SELF HAVE A GREY HAIR. LET WAIT TILL THE BABY SHAVE OFF HER FIRST HAIR.

I have seen it too. One of my friends (one igbo girl like that) has bright skin and has reddish, blonde hair and her mother and father are very black. Her sister was born looking like the child in this story.

I would have thought it strange if not for seeing that my friend. Yes, the child's hair will darken with time.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by ini4brandon(m): 9:13am On Nov 01, 2013
i cant understand why this guy is smiling in the pics.... angryi cant understand why this guy is smiling in the pics....
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by kingleychuks: 3:05am On Dec 27, 2014
[b][/b]this Nothing else.but GOD's law of mutation just as it was with noah giving birth to 3 sons of different colours namely: japheth (white), 2. Shem (yellow) and Ham (black) and through them the earth over spread, giving u the white race, the yellow race, and the black.race. it is GOD once again confirming what he did in the time of noah.
it is infact nd indeed God's infalling words being confirmed God's law of mutation nd that of eve superfecundation or superfeutationthis Nothing else.but GOD's law of mutation just as it was with noah giving birth to 3 sons of different colours namely: japheth (white), 2. Shem (yellow) and Ham (black) and through them the earth over spread, giving u the white race, the yellow race, and the black.race. it is GOD once again confirming what he did in the time of noah.
it is infact nd indeed God's infalling words being confirmed God's law of mutation nd that of eve superfecundation or superfeutation
this Nothing else.but GOD's law of mutation just as it was with noah giving birth to 3 sons of different colours namely: japheth (white), 2. Shem (yellow) and Ham (black) and through them the earth over spread, giving u the white race, the yellow race, and the black.race. it is GOD once again confirming what he did in the time of noah.
it is infact nd indeed God's infalling words being confirmed God's law of mutation nd that of eve superfecundation or superfeutation
Re: Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby In The Uk by kemiola89(f): 7:46am On Dec 27, 2014
Miracle child grin grin

(1) (Reply)

FCT Confirms 3 More COVID-19 Deaths, Discharges 39 & Records 7 new cases / Are You Having Issues Getting Pregnant?or Trying To Concieve? Then Try This / Lagos Discharges 12 More COVID-19 Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.