Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,949 members, 7,952,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:41 AM

Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month (14462 Views)

My Sorjorn Into Rice Farming In 2020. / How Kebbi Revolutionised Rice Farming In Nigeria / Rice Farming: My Sweet-bitter Experience. Looking forward & Re-strategizing!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by noblefarm: 7:58am On Nov 13, 2018
Do the harvesting multiples work for all rice or it only work for faro61?

EMMAACHILE:
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/we-have-identified-faro-61-as-high-yielding-rice-seed.html
When you plant Faro 61 and apply adequate fertilizer at the appropriate time with adequate water supply, it will be ready for harvest within 90 days. At harvest, you only need to cut the panicle leaving the stem.

When you apply fertilizer and water to the rice plant, it germinates again. The interesting thing about it is anywhere you harvest one panicle of rice, about three or more new ones will come up. Since you did not plant it fresh, it takes only 30 days instead of 90 to harvest. And any farmland you harvest 20 tonnes the first time; you will be expected to harvest about 50 tonnes at the second harvest which is just 30 days away. After the second harvest, you will again apply fertilizer and water and wait for another 30 days for another bigger harvest where you will get far more than what you got the second time. Since every panicle of rice you harvested, three or more new ones will germinate, the more you harvest the more the yield. The farmer is expected to clear the farm and plant new set of seed once in a year after over five harvests.

The harvest going on in my farm right now is the fourth harvest and next month we shall harvest the same plant for the fifth time. So, it is only the first time that you plant this seed that you will wait for 90 days before harvesting. All other subsequent harvests will be after every 30 days. You can get five to six tonnes per hectare after harvest. But we are buying the seed from the research institute with our money.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 13, 2018
noblefarm:
Do the harvesting multiples work for all rice or it only work for faro61?

I don't really know.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by noblefarm: 8:22am On Nov 13, 2018
Ok, thanks. Pls do you know if the faro 61 can do upland?

EMMAACHILE:

I don't really know.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 13, 2018
noblefarm:
Ok, thanks. Pls do you know if the faro 61 can do upland?

It will only work if irrigated since its a lowland variety. That Sokoto farmer is using irrigation on his farm.
Upland Nigerian varieties are Faro 58, 59 which will do well on ordinary land without irrigation while the famous Faro 60,61 are lowland varieties
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by noblefarm: 8:58am On Nov 14, 2018
Thanks very much for this, I'll look for faro 58 or 59 since my land is upland and no irrigation yet
Thanks once again

EMMAACHILE:

It will only work if irrigated since its a lowland variety. That Sokoto farmer is using irrigation on his farm.
Upland Nigerian varieties are Faro 58, 59 which will do well on ordinary land without irrigation while the famous Faro 60,61 are lowland varieties
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by RealityShot: 7:49pm On Nov 14, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

hello Sir...
Please how much can I get a hectare of land around your area?

Thank you
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 14, 2018
RealityShot:
hello Sir...
Please how much can I get a hectare of land around your area?

Thank you
Lease or outright purchase? These prices are not fixed.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by RealityShot: 8:33pm On Nov 14, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Lease or outright purchase? These prices are not fixed.
purchase
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by RealityShot: 8:35pm On Nov 14, 2018
mohisd:
170k..spend on an hect...birds r nmrlly limited during raining season..50bags per hect my location niger state
Please what does it take to process the harvested rice into market quality?
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 14, 2018
RealityShot:
purchase
I can help you find out if you are serious but the prices here are ridiculous with some hectares going for as high as 1 million close to Lokoja Ajaokuta express road.

If you are doing short term cropping , its advisable to lease then purchase later at a cheap price.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by RealityShot: 8:45pm On Nov 14, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

I can help you find out if you are serious but the prices here are ridiculous with some hectares going for as high as 1 million close to Lokoja Ajaokuta express road.

If you are doing short term cropping , its advisable to lease then purchase later at a cheap price.
OK.. How much is Leasing?

Thank you
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Nobody: 3:31am On Nov 15, 2018
RealityShot:

I know of a local rice mill in Lokoja where you pay N2,000 as at early March prices for parboiling, drying and milling for a 100kg paddy bag. A good variety will yield about 75kg processed Rice. Unfortunately, the local variety yields are much lower as some will not get upto 50kg processed bags from a 100kg paddy bag.

I was told the machines can also destone but i cannot confirm that. Most small scale people use the common rice sack bags like Mama Tomato, etc. Another thing i noticed is that most farmers in this area plant the local rice variety and i told some of the ones I met that there should plant the improved type and their response was baffling.
"Oga where your own improved variety abi Na Government rice him dey talk?" No be grammar oh! Bring your own government rice if its good, we will buy from you and plant on our farms.

My late dad use to farm some hectares in Benue State in the late 90s and we were always using the improved variety as at that time. We normally had about a processed 100 bags stored in our store and used for years though some will given to close relations during festive periods.

If you must grow rice, buy the improved Faro varieties as i learnt the new upland and drought tolerant Faro 59 for example can give way over a tonne per plot with good agricultural management including use of fertilizers.

4 Likes

Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by michodemic(m): 5:59am On Nov 15, 2018
mollode:
am kinda surprise at d figure too... have bn into the rice biz for 2years now. (ofada) have not gotten 1/3 of dat figure. maybe i need to learn from op

Where is ds ofada town? How do I get there from Ibadan? Please what is d weight in kg of a bag of paddy rice? And how much is a bag of paddy rice? Thanks as u help a soul.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by mrvitalis(m): 6:38am On Nov 15, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

In lokoja, 6.5 bags was gotten per plot (30mx30m); That is about 65 bags per hectare. The whole farm was covered in nets and have been just harvested.

How much did the net cost
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by mollode: 8:30am On Nov 15, 2018
sir/ma. I don't have all the answer for the question above but the location for the ofada rice is Abeokuta at lafenwa market its a popular place in abeokuta ogun state.
it's sold in kg and I don't have the current price for a kg. a visit ill be d best.
e author=michodemic post=72981507]

Where is ds ofada town? How do I get there from Ibadan? Please what is d weight in kg of a bag of paddy rice? And how much is a bag of paddy rice? Thanks as u help a soul.[/quote]
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by RealityShot: 3:42pm On Nov 16, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

I know of a local rice mill in Lokoja where you pay N2,000 as at early March prices for parboiling, drying and milling for a 100kg paddy bag. A good variety will yield about 75kg processed Rice. Unfortunately, the local variety yields are much lower as some will not get upto 50kg processed bags from a 100kg paddy bag.

I was told the machines can also destone but i cannot confirm that. Most small scale people use the common rice sack bags like Mama Tomato, etc. Another thing i noticed is that most farmers in this area plant the local rice variety and i told some of the ones I met that there should plant the improved type and their response was baffling.
"Oga where your own improved variety abi Na Government rice him dey talk?" No be grammar oh! Bring your own government rice if its good, we will buy from you and plant on our farms.

My late dad use to farm some hectares in Benue State in the late 90s and we were always using the improved variety as at that time. We normally had about a processed 100 bags stored in our store and used for years though some will given to close relations during festive periods.

If you must grow rice, buy the improved Faro varieties as i learnt the new upland and drought tolerant Faro 59 for example can give way over a tonne per plot with good agricultural management including use of fertilizers.
I see...
Thank you very much for your time and help..
I guess I should first start buying processed before growing.
Thank you again.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by michodemic(m): 9:48am On Nov 17, 2018
mollode:
sir/ma. I don't have all the answer for the question above but the location for the ofada rice is Abeokuta at lafenwa market its a popular place in abeokuta ogun state.
it's sold in kg and I don't have the current price for a kg. a visit ill be d best.
e author=michodemic post=72981507]

Where is ds ofada town? How do I get there from Ibadan? Please what is d weight in kg of a bag of paddy rice? And how much is a bag of paddy rice? Thanks as u help a soul.

Are u saying I can get paddy rice in lafenwa market. I mean d unprocessed ones.
Sorry for taking your time.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by mollode: 4:02pm On Nov 18, 2018
am not sure sir. but most people take their Paddy to that place for processing but most farms are in abeokuta not just sure if anyone gonna sell paddy. may i ask, if u have bn into dis before ow do u go about it... price and unit of measure.

thor=michodemic post=73046647]

Sorry for taking your time.[/quote]
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by michodemic(m): 8:29pm On Nov 18, 2018
I have not been into it before. I want to start a rice mill so am looking for where to get the paddy rice from. I dont really want simewhere far from Ibadan. Thats why d Abeokuta market interest me. If u have any further info, please I will appreciate it. Thanks as always.

mollode:
am not sure sir. but most people take their Paddy to that place for processing but most farms are in abeokuta not just sure if anyone gonna sell paddy. may i ask, if u have bn into dis before ow do u go about it... price and unit of measure.

thor=michodemic post=73046647]

Sorry for taking your time.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Agp19(m): 6:38am On Nov 19, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Sir I base in lokoja and been looking for an agricultural business to venture into..can I pm u
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Agp19(m): 6:40am On Nov 19, 2018
[quote author=EMMAACHILE post=72980517]

If you must grow rice, buy the improved Faro varieties as i learnt the new upland and drought tolerant Faro 59 for example can give way over a tonne per plot with good agricultural management including use of fertilizers.[/quoteSir I base in lokoja and have been looking for an agricultural business to venture into..can I pm u sir
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by noblefarm: 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2018
How much are you buying paddy rice? I have 4 tonnes

michodemic:
I have not been into it before. I want to start a rice mill so am looking for where to get the paddy rice from. I dont really want simewhere far from Ibadan. Thats why d Abeokuta market interest me. If u have any further info, please I will appreciate it. Thanks as always.

Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by misB: 11:41am On Dec 29, 2018
Hello please does anyone have faro 58 or 59 for sale
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by mohisd(m): 9:34pm On Feb 02, 2019
RealityShot:

jst take the paddy rice to a standard miller
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by mohisd(m): 9:40pm On Feb 02, 2019
misB:
Hello please does anyone have faro 58 or 59 for sale
yes hw many tonns do.u.want
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by potosky: 10:00pm On Feb 02, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

even 1.5m
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 02, 2019
potosky:
even 1.5m
Its not encouraging as i even heard the state ministry of commerce (Kogi Government) now collects ground rent for farmlands in the bush. I was with an estate surveyor whose client was taxed about 10 million ground rent for a 10 hectare farm which was newly bought.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by potosky: 10:57pm On Feb 02, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Its not encouraging as i even heard the state ministry of commerce (Kogi Government) now collects ground rent for farmlands in the bush. I was with an estate surveyor whose client was taxed about 10 million ground rent for a 10 hectare farm which was newly bought.
hmmmmm and no money in the state.
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Nobody: 11:04pm On Feb 02, 2019
potosky:
the hmmmmm and no money in the state.
The black man looks cursed
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by potosky: 10:00am On Feb 03, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

The black man looks cursed
u no lie
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Soniasmart11: 8:56pm On Feb 03, 2019
please how do I get the seed of the Rice contact me 08072464325
Re: Rice Farming Be A Millionaire In 4month by Homeyfav: 7:45am On Oct 03, 2019
Challenges and prospects of rice farming in Nigeria.

https://www.ricedepot.ng/prospects-challenges-rice-farming-nigeria/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria To Remove ‘political Farmers’ From Database / How I Keep My 100 Cows On Three Plots / Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.