Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,171 members, 7,821,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC (32116 Views)

JAMB 2024 Marking Scheme: Verify The JAMB Grading System Right Now / Korean Grading System (picture) / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by ishowdotgmail(m): 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2018
Inception:
UI has always used the 7 point scale..

Proud UIte cool

Greatest Uites! cheesy

UI now uses 4points
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 6:49pm On Nov 02, 2018
Yankee101:

Well, na NUC talk am no be me.

Actually if you convert 5points to 4points your classification goes higher

They only came up with "4.0 produces more first class than 5.0" to cover up their policy inconsistency. We use 4.0 and I know how hard it's.
4.0 is also the grading system obtainable in most of universities abroad.
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Yankee101: 7:03pm On Nov 02, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

They only came up with "4.0 produces more first class than 5.0" to cover up their policy inconsistency. We use 4.0 and I know how hard it's.
4.0 is also the grading system obtainable in most of universities abroad.

Say US system not abroad

The naija system is a copy of british system

Primary school, secondary school, A levels, 5.0, first class, second class upper, second class lower, third class etc
And canada/australia/new Zealand, etc copy UK
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by omoelerin1: 7:08pm On Nov 02, 2018
Inception:

Proud UIte cool

Greatest Uites! cheesy
UI has reversed to 5 point since 2016.
According to a UI prof. it was only UI that still using 7 point in the country. Many of their undergraduate students that applied for scholarship of many multinational coys like chevron, shell e t c. faced challenges of grade point. Where the applicants were required to have a certain GP of total CGP of 5.0. Those people were always surprised to see 7 gp. It is like old fashion. So UI had to drop it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 02, 2018
Roger3D:
Are you in the academia? Or you just failed to read the reasons they gave behind their decision?
Do you understand my plight? Same reason they gave why it was removed is same reason I gave. That it didnt work for some schools doesn't mean it is not working
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by braveboy64(m): 7:28pm On Nov 02, 2018
babzo:

Pass 3rd Class 2nd Class lower 2nd Class Upper 1st Class
thanks
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by PAJUN: 7:31pm On Nov 02, 2018
Any how they want it, we are out already even with all that their no job for graduate
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by mcdokwe(m): 7:44pm On Nov 02, 2018
mrvitalis:
UNN has always been five point some schools are different?
that changed sometime in 2012
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Roger3D(m): 7:51pm On Nov 02, 2018
asuustrike1:

Do you understand my plight? Same reason they gave why it was removed is same reason I gave. That it didnt work for some schools doesn't mean it is not working
We can't have people who are unjustified graduating from our universities at the expense of people who will get withdrawn as a result of the system. I graduated 12 years ago and back then to get even a second class upper was a serious feat
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by DateMynd44(m): 8:16pm On Nov 02, 2018
mrvitalis:
just noticed that yesterday when I saw their results.
a Mark of 40 was graded E instead of an F
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by DateMynd44(m): 8:17pm On Nov 02, 2018
Inception:

Proud UIte cool

Greatest Uites! cheesy
you're not a ui uses a 4 point scale
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by RTSC: 8:56pm On Nov 02, 2018
If you had a first class using the 5.0 scale, then you are the real scholar.

I calculated my GPA at one time using the 4.0 scale, it was like 3.9999.
On the 5.0 scale, it was just 4.63.

No wonder, there is a proliferation of first class nowadays.
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 02, 2018
Roger3D:
We can't have people who are unjustified graduating from our universities at the expense of people who will get withdrawn as a result of the system. I graduated 12 years ago and back then to get even a second class upper was a serious feat
Things have changed. We can't continue to use old system we should use learn to adopt to new trend. Even if they may not be existence, we can formulate ours for others to copy. If American University of Nigeria grading system is slight different from other schools in Nigeria then NUC needs to study it. AUN Adamawa grading is slightly different. Am made to understand that 2.1is from 3.4 if am not mistaken. I stand to be corrected if their graduate can refute my claim
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by mvem(m): 9:19pm On Nov 02, 2018
phase1:
5 point remains the best, why change it in the first place!

Buhari and co-buffoons are always confused and dumb.
...buhari again!!!... Wetin concern am with this one now
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by mvem(m): 9:20pm On Nov 02, 2018
asuustrike1:

Things have changed. We can't continue to use old system we should use learn to adopt to new trend. Even if they may not be existence, we can formulate ours for others to copy. If American University of Nigeria grading system is slight different from other schools in Nigeria then NUC needs to study it. AUN Adamawa grading is slightly different. Am made to understand that 2.1is from 3.4 if am not mistaken. I stand to be corrected if their graduate can refute my claim
..3.4 on a 4 point grade system... Meaning 4 is the highest point
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Actuarial: 9:56pm On Nov 02, 2018
omoelerin1:
UI has reversed to 5 point since 2016.
According to a UI prof. it was only UI that still using 7 point in the country. Many of their undergraduate students that applied for scholarship of many multinational coys like chevron, shell e t c. faced challenges of grade point. Where the applicants were required to have a certain GP of total CGP of 5.0. Those people were always surprised to see 7 gp. It is like old fashion. So UI had to drop it.

UI(my school) has been using the 4.0 grading system since two years now, and not 5.0
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Actuarial: 10:02pm On Nov 02, 2018
People don't know how hell of a thing this 4.0 grading system is.

Here in UI, the scale applies that;
(70-100)%= 4.0
(60-69)℅ = 3.0
(50-59)% = 2.0
(45-49)% = 1.0
(0-44)% = 0

After converting my 2.98(lower credit) to a 5.0 and 7.0 grading scale, they both yielded an upper credit!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Actuarial: 10:05pm On Nov 02, 2018
RTSC:

What are the grades you have in your courses that made 3.9 became 4.6

Check my post above
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Jonahapagu54(m): 10:18pm On Nov 02, 2018
Yankee101:

Well, na NUC talk am no be me.

Actually if you convert 5points to 4points your classification goes higher
trust me NUC did not do their job well 4 point scale only made things worse as regards getting first class 4 point scale never made it easier... how we calculate our CGPA is not the same with How other foreign countries calculate theirs so why compare us with them... 4 point scale in nigeria only made things worse for the weaker students. Score of 44 is a carry over on 4 point scale and a pass on 5 point scale
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 02, 2018
mvem:
..3.4 on a 4 point grade system... Meaning 4 is the highest point
Ok
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Jonahapagu54(m): 10:24pm On Nov 02, 2018
RTSC:

bros you are wrong show me your proof
how 3.999 on 4 point scale is 4.63 on 5 point scale
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by babzo(m): 10:25pm On Nov 02, 2018
einsteine:

SMH. That's not what this is about. I hope you are not a graduate.

It is the scale for GPA. 0-4.0 for 4 point, and 0-5.0 for 5 point. UI once used 7 points, 0-7.0. It is not what this bros wrote here that the NUC is talking about.

You better dont shake your head too much or else.. . . .
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by whitering: 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2018
Actuarial:

(70-100)%= 4.0
(60-69)℅ = 3.0
(50-59)% = 2.0
(45-49)% = 1.0
(0-44)% = 0

After converting my 2.98(lower credit) to a 5.0 and 7.0 grading scale, they both yielded an upper credit!

This explanation is cool. Therefore, no more unnecessary 1.1, 2.1... Guys need to hook their belts very well.
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Daveconsult: 11:12pm On Nov 02, 2018
Actuarial:

(70-100)%= 4.0
(60-69)℅ = 3.0
(50-59)% = 2.0
(45-49)% = 1.0
(0-44)% = 0

Delsu adopted similar grading since 2012. Though they were using 5.0 but 44 below was fail and the minimum pass mark was 45. The only difference is
70-100=5
60-69=4
50-59=3
45-49=2
0-44=0
They can still use it in a grade point of 5.0 and still prevent people from graduating with pass

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 02, 2018
Yankee101:
So all these plenty first class na cos of cheaper 4point system grading system?

It hasn't been implemented yet...d first class pple got it with d 5 point grading system...
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by xyzhill(m): 12:35am On Nov 03, 2018
mrvitalis:
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Joybringer: 2:16am On Nov 03, 2018
Still the same..
For 4 point; first class starts from 3.6 equivalent to (3.6/4.0)*5 =4.5 ( which is the same as first class in 5 point)
Second class upper starts from 2.8 equivalent to (2.8/4.0)*5 = 3.5 ( 2.1 in 5 point)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Actuarial: 3:26am On Nov 03, 2018
Joybringer:
Still the same..
For 4 point; first class starts from 3.6 equivalent to (3.6/4.0)*5 =4.5 ( which is the same as first class in 5 point)
Second class upper starts from 2.8 equivalent to (2.8/4.0)*5 = 3.5 ( 2.1 in 5 point)

Baba this is not how to calculate/convert CGPA

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Actuarial: 3:37am On Nov 03, 2018
Daveconsult:

Delsu adopted similar grading since 2012. Though they were using 5.0 but 44 below was fail and the minimum pass mark was 45. The only difference is
70-100=5
60-69=4
50-59=3
45-49=2
0-44=0
They can still use it in a grade point of 5.0 and still prevent people from graduating with pass

This looks similar to the 4.0 system but it's actually still more favourable.

Consider that for a particular semester, a student offered 7 courses, had 60-69 in 6 of the 7 courses and 59 in one of the courses.

If we are to calculate this on the 5.0 scale, the student will be on something definitely above 3.5/5.0 depending on the unit of that particular course he/she had 59. And since upper credit starts from 3.5 on the 5.0 scale, then the student will be on an upper credit.

Taking this same same scores to the 4.0 scale, the student will definitely not be able to attain 3.0/4.0 since all the scores must be 60-69 before they can amount to 3.0.
And since upper credit starts from 3.0 on the 4.0 scale, such student will be on a lower credit(2.8-2.99 depending on the credit of the 59 score). And you must agree with me that this isn't favourable at all

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by phase1: 4:31am On Nov 03, 2018
mvem:
...buhari again!!!... Wetin concern am with this one now

Na your president, na him appoint the idiots wey dey make the blunders wey dey affect everybody.

Stop making excuses for an illiterate clueless dullard who has not business taking decisions that may affect the destiny of your unborn children.
Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by naijapage(f): 6:58am On Nov 03, 2018
I Wonder what this Country is becoming everyday, May God Of Alph Lukau Biography Help us

Re: Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC by Joybringer: 4:46pm On Nov 03, 2018
Actuarial:

Baba this is not how to calculate/convert CGPA
Can you school me better?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drop One English Word Which Will Make People Check Their Dictionary / 2nd Edition Of The XFIRE Nairaland Scholarship Quiz-Final Test In Progress / Man Embarrassed As Ibadan School Refused Letting Daughter In Because Of Hijab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.