Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? (23104 Views)

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps / Osun Lawyers In Suit Cutting Grasses (Photos) / Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 03, 2018
I had opined years ago on this very same topic and I would not go in-depth this time around but to simply say: Nigeria and Nigerians like to copy things ...good or bad. There's nothing wrong in taking an idea or a concept and modifying it to serve your purpose. We take things and use them whether it serves our purpose or not. I am sure that wig gets so fricking hot with the type of weather that Nigeria has. What is the essence of the wig? It is believed that it brings a sense of formality and solemnity to proceedings. Like many uniforms, wigs are an emblem of anonymity, an attempt to distance the wearer from personal involvement and a way to visually draw on the supremacy of the law. Wigs are so much a part of British criminal courts that if a barrister doesn't wear a wig, it's seen as an insult to the court. The wig as part of our legal system is one of those vestiges of our colonial past that we must do away with.
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by olafunny(m): 6:09pm On Nov 03, 2018
Lynette2cute:

When brand new is 30k as at last year
You're right. I bought 3 for 50k early last year
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by higgs: 6:13pm On Nov 03, 2018
It is not only the dress code of our lawyers that needs serious overhauling. The entire judicial system is in dire need of reforms.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by sweetilicious(f): 6:52am On Nov 04, 2018
kennygee:
I no know o.

I'm on the 7th season of Suits, watched Private Practice for years now, and never have I seen lawyers in other countries, from movies I've watched, wear wigs.

Na Shakespeare way we still dey follow.
7th season? Stopped at 4
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by osuofia2(m): 3:44pm On Nov 04, 2018
Rossikki:
Nearly 60 years after independence from colonial rule, why do our lawyers still wear these things on their heads?

Is it that we cannot devise a home-grown attire for our lawyers, or is it that we so love the colonial rulers and exploiters of our land, that we just cannot let go of their legacy?

Did somebody do juju on us to turn us into mumus where the colonialists are concerned?

India, Pakistan, and parts of China were colonised by the British. But their legal systems have jettisoned those colonial wigs ages ago.

In Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, and other ex-colonies, still continue to wear them.

What is wrong with us as a people?

Seriously, we need to approach our ancestors for forgiveness, in case we did something to them that made them place a curse on us, that has turned us into dumb mumus without basic common sense and dignity, especially where it concerns Europeans.

Imagine for a second how the white people will be laughing their heads off when they see us wearing these things, a full sixty years after independence.

It's truly disgusting.

Please why do you enter car,fly planes and use medical equipments.. ? And why are you wearing clothes instead of covering only your below shoulder....
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 28, 2018
kingron:
Dude United Kingdom has stopped wearing wigs , but in some higher courts there you can't appear without wearing the wig. In Nigeria situation we are only preserving the tradition . Nothing about mental slavery

What tradition are you preserving, pray tell me dear you? What tradition?
If you do not know that this is classic mental slavery 202, then I do not know how to help you
Kindly follow @musicwriter on this Nairaland
He will take you to those recesses you have never delved into, even though you have known all along they are there...you will learn how to learn
Cheers
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 28, 2018
Amacaco:
If you are not a lawyer, mind your business. We want it that way. It is our profession. The army, clergy, doctors, nurses, etc have theirs. Leave the Legal profession alone.

How to know one is a mental slave? Just read posts like yours, your submission makes one worry embarassed
And I mean no disrespect, we have not been educated, we were indoctrinated, and this affects us beyond measure
Kindly follow @ musicwriter on this this forum, and you will delearn, unlearn and relearn, and free your mind, and pass it on (we all need to be free in Africa)

P.S. I am a "professional" too , but I know that that means next to nothing, I know the search for truth and freedom are nobler endeavours.
Cheers
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by musicwriter(m): 9:18pm On Nov 28, 2018
merahki:

What tradition are you preserving, pray tell me dear you? What tradition?
If you do not know that this is classic mental slavery 202, then I do not know how to help you
Kindly follow @musicwriter on this Nairaland
He will take you to those recesses you have never delved into, even tgough you have known all along they are there...you will learn how to learn
Cheers

Good day.

I already posted on this thread. Our people just don't understand what an illusion we're living in Africa. You can see clearly that the people you're trying to help already have their brains destroyed. That's by the way.

I created the post below yesterday, and you'll be definitely interested https://www.nairaland.com/4871133/every-african-should-please-read

The book was written by an African-American woman. The woman deeply understands the nature of our present predicament, she echoed everything I wrote in my book. If you were to write a book, you'll probably write that type of book. Check it out.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2018
musicwriter:

Good day.

I already posted on this thread. Our people just don't understand what an illusion we're living in Africa. You can see clearly that the people you're trying to help already have their brains destroyed. That's by the way.

I created the post below yesterday, and you'll be definitely interested https://www.nairaland.com/4871133/every-african-should-please-read

The book was written by an African-American woman. The woman deeply understands the nature of our present predicament, she echoed everything I wrote in my book. If you were to write a book, you'll probably write that type of book. Check it out.

Cheers.

Will do
Good night soul brother
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by syspro77: 2:46am On Nov 30, 2018
Kokugraphics:
Oya give them Brazilian hair nigbayen
hahahahaha!!!
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by syspro77: 3:19am On Nov 30, 2018
One other mindset we must do away with is confusing imperial legacy with colonialism. Some still refer to Britain as, "Our colonial master". Who made them your master? We were victims of Brittish imperial prowess. Colonialism entails introducing population where it never existed. How many Brittish people do we see living like normal native people? They only come as visitors, diplomats, expatriates, etc. A major reform worth doing is removing precedence to English laws from our judicial system. Our culture is different from English's. We see where a murderer is granted bail only for such to become greater nuissance and menace than before. European aptitude differs from ours.
Re: Why Do Our Lawyers Still Wear White Man Wigs? by Gmajor(m): 7:57am On Nov 30, 2018
uuzba:

So you are telling me that without any external influence, black people will unanimously come up with such atrocious head piece? It doesn't not resemble anything on this continent.
Women that put on Brazilian hair regularly, yes the hair is imported BUT it resembles our hair. It blends in with the overall look of the person.

This wig does not blend in. It is not a fashion statement. It looks like something foolishly imposed upon oneself as a result of inferiority complex.
Without any external influence, black people will be walking around wearing leaves

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? / How Old Were You When Your Life Started and How Did It Start? / I Failed Job Pre Medical Tests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.