Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps (27668 Views)

NBA Rejects Agreement To Let UK Lawyers Practise In Nigeria / Osun Lawyers In Suit Cutting Grasses (Photos) / Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by supercase1(m): 6:07am On Oct 21, 2019
Why do Lawyers/judges wear wigs on their heads in court.it's quite funny must they wear wigs on their head, can't they do without wigs caps? pls explain!!! !

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by dammiedot(m): 6:42am On Oct 21, 2019
In order to hide the fact that they were getting bald?...wdik

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Snipespeter: 6:42am On Oct 21, 2019
A

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by solepager(m): 6:42am On Oct 21, 2019
Ftc. Happy Monday everyone

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by uuzba(m): 6:43am On Oct 21, 2019
Some sort of inferiority complex thing
They're just copying white people.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by channelads: 6:43am On Oct 21, 2019
Lawyers in the house come in!!!

Take your business to the next level through Social Media Promotions. Check siggy for WhatsApp
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Aonkuuse(m): 6:43am On Oct 21, 2019
I do ask the same question, but was told it was a French court tradition

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by helinues: 6:43am On Oct 21, 2019
Wearing wigs is just an old tradition which have been abolished by major countries Excepts British.

But as you know, copy copy go copy your name for exams time.

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by TIGERSKY: 6:43am On Oct 21, 2019
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Onyi22(f): 6:44am On Oct 21, 2019
If u ask me na who I go ask?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by AntiWailer: 6:44am On Oct 21, 2019
uuzba:
Some sort of inferiority complex thing

grin cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 21, 2019
To cover their head against misfired objection

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by olaboy33(m): 6:44am On Oct 21, 2019
It was simply a British tradition which shows a sense of power and and respect for law.

In 2007, a suit was filed in UK, challenging the dress code, it won, after then some adjustments were made.

American judges and attorneys don't wear wigs in court again. Trust Nigerians to always follow whatever comes from 'above' blindly.

Some also say judges wear long wigs to make It more difficult for criminal defendants to identify them outside courtroom.

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by macaranta(m): 6:44am On Oct 21, 2019
Grey Wisdom tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by simon98(m): 6:45am On Oct 21, 2019
I think because the early lawyers were old men with white hair

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Slonge22: 6:45am On Oct 21, 2019
We just copied it senselessly from our colonial masters. Nothing more, nothing less.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by lighternote: 6:45am On Oct 21, 2019
Only in Nigeria. In most western countries, including the Uk whose legal system we copy, even outstanding legal luminaries can do without those funny wigs.
Nigerians sha like efizi and intimidation.
Even your policeman neighbour will intimidate you where as in western countries, cop job is usually masked.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by ednut1(m): 6:45am On Oct 21, 2019
Naso britain teach them qed

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Dandsome: 6:45am On Oct 21, 2019
Op is it LAWYERS or LAWYWERS?

Probably the spelling is the reason.

Before someone edits it and make me look like a trouble maker, see proof below.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by RenHub: 6:46am On Oct 21, 2019
Its just tradition nothing more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 6:46am On Oct 21, 2019
Wigs means the Wisdom of Judiciary

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by mercyviv(f): 6:46am On Oct 21, 2019
To show they're learned in thought and opinion. The wig makes them look aged, just like sages who are deft in issues.
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by jnoz23(m): 6:46am On Oct 21, 2019
supercase1:
Why do lawywers/judges wear wigs on their heads in court.it's quite funny must they wear wigs on their head, can't they do without wigs caps? pls explain!!! !
WHY DO NIGERIAN LAWYERS WEAR WIGS AND BLACK GOWNS?

Ever wondered why Nigerian lawyers wear those black robes/gowns and white wigs when they appear in court? Well wonder no more, this blog is going to explain the strange history behind the practice.

After the British colonized Nigeria, we adopted the same legal system and by extension all the paraphernalia that came with it. One of which was the costume of the British barrister.

The Wig

The culture of lawyers wearing wigs in court actually has its roots in, believe it or not, fashion! Charles II returned to England from France and brought with him the trend of the ‘periwig‘ from Louis XIV’s court. English society adopted the trend, as did barristers, it became the ‘in-thing’ for people, especially wealthy people, to wear wigs. The practice of wearing wigs fell into 2 camps:

Those who wore wigs in order to hide the fact that they were getting bald
Those who wore wigs because they had shaved their hair in order to prevent infestations (lice infestations was a big worry back then).
So, it was fashionable to see everyday people (obviously only the wealthy people could afford it) wearing wigs. That is how the wearing of wigs got into the courts. However, over the years, the wearing of wigs began to get less and less fashionable and eventually people stopped wearing them, however by this time, lawyers and judges felt it sufficiently differentiated them from others and so they kept on the practice…and now more than 300 years down the line, that is why you would go to Igbosere (or any of our many courts round the country) and find a room full of Nigerian men and women all wearing wigs.

https://lawpadi.com/why-do-nigerian-lawyers-wear-wigs-and-black-gowns

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by godwinkessi: 6:47am On Oct 21, 2019
Because they are trying to imitate the white people that brought it to us! U know the slave mentality na

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by davades(m): 6:47am On Oct 21, 2019
To bring in sense of formality and solemnity to proceedings

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by crackhouse(m): 6:47am On Oct 21, 2019
Maybe they are living in the past.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by penjm: 6:48am On Oct 21, 2019
Just fashion.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Mpcoll001: 6:48am On Oct 21, 2019
grin... In the western world they don't even wear this.. The lawyers are always in suit. Only the judge wear gown not even the yeye wig...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 21, 2019
Tied to the British. Off course they've ditched it but 9ja still upholding it. Anyways it's unique and distinguishes them from other profession.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by A305: 6:53am On Oct 21, 2019
It's an old practice that most lawyers discontinued with worldwide, I wonder why Nigeria lawyers still continue with it.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 21, 2019
It depicts grey hair; which in turn presupposes that a person adorning it is learned/has wisdom.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Mckandre(m): 6:55am On Oct 21, 2019
N

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Job Is Making Me Suicidal.. Pls I Need Advice / How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection / Interested In Being A Chartered Administrator?Get All Questions Answered Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.