Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,205 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s (1398 Views)

Why Do People Buy Big Cars? They Only Move Point A To B / Hyundai Cars Users Are Growing Rapidly In Nigeria Unlike Kia / North Korea Hasn't Paid For These Volvo Cars They Bought 45 Years Ago 4rm Sweden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by IkpuMmadu: 3:48pm On Nov 03, 2018
Cars have changed drastically from functionality to aesthetics. Cars are getting more sophisticated and a clear departure from the old reliables. When we were growing up in the 90s, the two 'main-d-main' around Anambra then were Mercedes Benz and Peugeot. It's either your dad had Mercedes 230 or Peugeot 504 or 505 (wagon or saloon). Others were Volvo (that very loud one), Volkswagen, Datsun, Mazda, Mitsubishi (ọnụ azụ), etc.https://etimes.com.ng/cars-they-dont-make-them-rugged-and-strong-again-in-nigeria-unlike-the-1980s/

Toyota was only trying to penetrate the market.

Mercedes Benz and Peugeot cars were as rugged as ruggedness and very physically strong—attributes I cherish greatly in cars. There bodies were almost entirely iron. Fender/bumper were half stainless metal and half plastic (strong plastic) — you rarely saw them pull like Toyota ones do today. All those years, I never met an accidented Benz or Peugeot that summersaulted and I haven't till today. When the Peugeot in our house got involved in a serious accident, it only swerved into the bush and hit a palm tree with its booth—a phenomenal escape alternative I doubt Toyota can ever afford.

20+ years after (now in the 2nd decade of a new century), Toyota sits like a king in the Nigerian market and car choices. Fragile as they are and appear, they're easier to manage, cheaper to maintain and user-friendlier than other products. In every compound of 3 cars today, there's always likely to be one or two Toyota products. But then, Mercedes Benz and Peugeot keep reinventing themselves: 4matic, Kompressor, G-guard, 307, 607, 3008, etc. (I am not good with cars).

But then, my curiosity is about the reinvented Peugeot. With 406 entering the scene in the 99/2000, there was a luxurious and electrical improvement but that body ruggedness reduced. The bumper/fender were no longer as strong as their forbears, for example. But Benz seemed to have maintained it all in their improved versions. A look at posh, modern Benz and you'd still see that ruggedness on it. (I haven't driven one, so, I assess by sight). Today, I see very posh Peugeot cars and I have a big doubt about their resilience and strength. They look fragile as Toyota ones and make me feel France couldn't afford to keep the high standard they started with unlike their German counterparts. I feel there's no hope of Peugeot making ruggedly strong cars anymore. Or, am I wrong? Do they still have products as rugged the old ones? I want to learn more. Online doesn't help enough. Personal driving experiences matter in knowing the truth.
Let's talk cars in/for Nigeria, please. Really need to learn from thoroughly experienced car users.

Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by forreelinc(m): 3:54pm On Nov 03, 2018
Zzzzzzzzzz
Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by OgogoroFreak(m): 3:56pm On Nov 03, 2018
Naso
Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:40pm On Nov 03, 2018
Rubbish. Cars aren't meant to be tanks. If you put your car in contact with a solid object, expect to get damaged.
Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by cluewebhost(m): 9:23pm On Nov 03, 2018
Cars are made thsee days with crumple zones, etc etc. That's why you don't have metal bumpers anymore. It's design for safety

1 Like

Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by ZzZzzzzzzzzzzzz: 11:08am On Oct 26, 2019
forreelinc:
Zzzzzzzzzz
hi I got your mention
Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by id4sho(m): 11:13am On Oct 26, 2019
Airbags and crumble zone have taken over
Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by mustydeen(m): 8:07pm On Oct 26, 2019
IkpuMmadu:
Cars have changed drastically from functionality to , I see very posh Peugeot cars and I have a big doubt about their resilience and strength. They look fragile as Toyota ones and make me feel as rugged the old ones? I want to learn more. Online doesn't help enough. Personal driving experiences matter in knowing the truth.
Let's talk cars in/for Nigeria, please. Really need to learn from thoroughly experienced car users.

Co's you said you want to learn. There's no point, reeling out the flaws in your post.

Cars have become safer than they could ever be, iron iron everywhere does not make a car solid.

Major car makers, do not make cars for Nigerians or African markets, we rarely buy new cars. Any vehicle you see on Nigerian roads is a reflection of major car markets.

You have a lot of Toyotas because a lot of them were made and sold. Then 10 years down the line, we start buying as Tokunbo.

Do not be deceived, all cars, are now almost the same, parts are outsourced to major parts manufacturers and car brands just assemble.

You get to see Aisin make transmissions for Audi, then toyota. Or you get denso make compressors for Mercedes, and Toyota

In all, whatever you see currently on Nigerian roads is more of a reflection of the American Market, and what she counts as reliable and rugged.
Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by idu1(m): 8:11pm On Oct 26, 2019
Ikenna341
Re: Cars: They Don't Make Them Rugged And Strong Again In Nigeria, Unlike The 1980s by tck2000(m): 9:04pm On Oct 26, 2019
So i observed

(1) (Reply)

Pls Any Pros And Cons Of This Sonata 2012? / Tesla Car Owners Customise Plate Number To Slam Gas / Help With Toyota Highlander Swerving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.