Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,237 members, 7,822,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 (4056 Views)

Border Closure: Ogoja Rice To Hit Market With Reduced Price At N14,000 Per 50-kg / We Spend N20b Yearly On Food Import, Says Obaseki / Ghana Seeks To Reduce Food Import By Applying Technology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by hahn(m): 8:52am On Nov 07, 2018
Pavore9:
A tragedy.

Or an opportunity? cheesy wink
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by mbz101(m): 9:51am On Nov 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Are you smoking seed ?

Seed isn't a big deal. Corruption is. With N10,000 I can import virtually any kind of seed from aliexpress or banggood or indiamart.

Have you asked why fertilizer supply chain to farmers still have a cabal controlling it?
Have you asked why Nigeria isn't doing large scale mechanized farming?
Why we can't process cocoa into high quality chocolate (a $100b industry 65% powered by African grown cocoa bean)? Why 30% of harvest is destroyed by poor storage or pest?
corruption is the answer.

You are on point...High level of corruption kills a nation

Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by mrvitalis(m): 10:16am On Nov 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Are you smoking seed ?

Seed isn't a big deal. Corruption is. With N10,000 I can import virtually any kind of seed from aliexpress or banggood or indiamart.

Have you asked why fertilizer supply chain to farmers still have a cabal controlling it?
Have you asked why Nigeria isn't doing large scale mechanized farming?
Why we can't process cocoa into high quality chocolate (a $100b industry 65% powered by African grown cocoa bean)? Why 30% of harvest is destroyed by poor storage or pest?
corruption is the answer.

See developed for other climate they won't perform optimally here

This makes rte raw materials expensive

And you why can't u start cocoa processing.. Who do u expect to do it?
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by djon78(m): 10:44am On Nov 07, 2018
ladiesreject:
No wonder we struggle to sell any farm produce we take to the market.
Look how difficult it is to produce beans, yet a bag is as cheap as 11k. Can 11k pay for my expenses and still help me build a life?
They keep shouting "go to farm". Yet, after all the hard labour, after all the scorching hot sun, after all the heavy rainfall, they still price our goods like they are doing us a favour buying it.

God's willing, we'll make it through this agriculture one day. Let them keep on importing.

Useless country!

I believe you just need to focus improving the quantity you produce. But to do that, you must mechanize your agricultural method and then acquiring huge land space.

This is the secret of most foreign farmers.
1. They are mechanised

2. They have very massive agricultural fields. One farmer can have fields bigger than one state in Nigeria.

And to do this requires massive funding. But our financial institutions don't fund this type of ventures. They want quick money.
So the nation and continent loses.
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by Horus(m): 10:53am On Nov 07, 2018
Shame. Africa is of course able to grow food, plenty of it actually, so what is the problem?
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by djon78(m): 10:55am On Nov 07, 2018
jayAjoku:
What I don’t understand is why we as Africans are importing food when the Land is so Fertile. There’s more to this than meets the eye . I strongly believe

What finished this continent is many decades of culture of quick money. People don't work hard anymore. Every one wants it very quick.

True wealth is long term not short term. If one focuses on longterm then the right foundation is laid. But when everybody is focused on quick money, who will be willing to put in the hard work, diligence and perseverance required especially in area of agriculture.
It is affecting every part of our life. Even the oil we produce in our country we still refine it abroad. Very terrible short term quick money mindset.

And shockingly the rate we are going, we may end up becoming slaves to Europeans, Americans and Asians too in no distant future.

1 Like

Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by CodeTemplar: 11:13am On Nov 07, 2018
mrvitalis:

See developed for other climate they won't perform optimally here

This makes rte raw materials expensive

And you why can't u start cocoa processing.. Who do u expect to do it?
Cocoa processing delicate and expensive google it up.
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by mrvitalis(m): 11:43am On Nov 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Cocoa processing delicate and expensive google it up.

So who do u want to do it?
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by Horus(m): 12:32pm On Nov 07, 2018
Whoever controls your food supply can murder you
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by CodeTemplar: 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2018
mrvitalis:

So who do u want to do it?
The same govt that has blocked others from doing it through. misguided policies.

https://www.nairaland.com/4777496/84000-lose-jobs-16-cocoa

Some sample of cocoa processors that have gone out of business.
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by mrvitalis(m): 2:52pm On Nov 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
The same govt that has blocked others from doing it through. misguided policies.

https://www.nairaland.com/4777496/84000-lose-jobs-16-cocoa

Some sample of cocoa processors that have gone out of business.

Lol u can start up oga
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by CodeTemplar: 3:10pm On Nov 07, 2018
mrvitalis:

Lol u can start up oga
Can you give me a N650m loan of less than 5% interest to purchase modern winnowing and other processing machines?
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by mrvitalis(m): 4:43pm On Nov 07, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Can you give me a N650m loan of less than 5% interest to purchase modern winnowing and other processing machines?
U can start small
Re: Africa’s Food Import To Hit $110 Billion By 2025 by CodeTemplar: 7:55pm On Nov 07, 2018
mrvitalis:

U can start small
Start small by processing cocoa? Maybe you should check the cost implications of buying cocoa processing equipment and look at their power requirements alone.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Do You Start Cutting Yam From? Head Or Tail? / Pastry World: Learner's Corner / Squash In African Or Nigerian Cooking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.