Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,132 members, 7,953,495 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:24 PM

Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading (18070 Views)

Bill To Create New State In South-East Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps / Bill Seeking To Reduce Advance Payment In FCT, Passes Second Reading In Senate / Minimum Wage Bill Passes Second Reading At Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by nwakibie3(m): 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2018
A bill for an Act to eradicate age discrimination against job seekers in Federal Government agencies and other related matters passed its second reading in the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

The bill, which was sponsored by Rep. Sergius Ogun (PDP-Edo), seeks to stop the disqualification of qualified job seekers in Federal Government agencies on the account of age.

Leading the debate, Ogun said that the consideration of the bill would ensure that no Nigerian job seeker was denied employment on the account of age.

He said that the bill would also demonstrate the commitment of the House of Representatives to making laws for the good of the citizens.

Ogun said that over the years, the lack of legislation had led to the restrictions placed on employment age by multinational, private sector and even government agencies.

“The rationale for this bill is to ensure that no artificial barrier is allowed to preponderate over merit, which rarely has anything to do with age,” he said.

The lawmaker, however, said that certain jobs in field of sports or the military required youthfulness and agility, adding that judging by international best practices, age limitation in that case did not amount to discrimination.

Ogun said that those who were denied employment because of factors such as age often became depressed and could later develop various types of life-threatening diseases.

In his contributions, the Deputy Speaker of the House, Rep. Yussuf Lassun (APC-Osun), said that the 1999 Constitution had already provided legislation which outlawed any form of discrimination.

He, however, said that a standard should be set, while such sections of the Constitution should be tested in court by anyone who experienced discrimination.

Lassun stressed that the bill, if passed into law, would be replication of the section of the Constitution which stated that no Nigerian should suffer any form of discrimination.

In his ruling, the Speaker of the House, Mr Yakubu Dogara, forwarded the bill to the House Committee on Labour, Employment and Productivity for further legislative action.

https://politicsngr.com/bill-eradicate-age-induced-discrimination-employment-passes-second-reading/

23 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by ybman: 10:14pm On Nov 07, 2018
If I own an establishment, will I then employ a older person instead of a young energetic person?

Certainly, it will only apply to government agencies.
Yet, the once withen d age limits are still unemployed...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by NwaAmaikpe: 10:15pm On Nov 07, 2018
shocked

Please isn't it ripe to pass a bill that will eradicate discrimination against LGBTs in Nigeria?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 07, 2018
eh eh! now they are talking!
its not funny after one spends many years in school, including ASUU strike and graduates at the age of 28, all for you to see jobs adverts stating that you must not be more than 26years!

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Raylight2(m): 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2018
m
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by highcadre: 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2018
State of origin too!!

12 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by KrystosCJ(m): 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2018
They want to keep like-minded swindling colleagues of theirs in banks so that they can siphon money.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 07, 2018
Good bill.

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Qsscruz(m): 10:17pm On Nov 07, 2018
Conscience is God's presence in man..If we can shun tribalism and look inwards, we can make great strides as a people..These are the bills ought to be passed into law..Laws that would benefit the common man..But then, that cant be fully achieved if the person at the helm is a totalitarian and nepotist..Buhari needs to tow the gentleman way and step down or be disgraced out of office..There is no two ways about it..

6 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by FaroukM(m): 10:17pm On Nov 07, 2018
It should affect both public and private sector

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by hanotob: 10:18pm On Nov 07, 2018
Welcome development

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Zico5(m): 10:18pm On Nov 07, 2018
what of depopulation of northern hegemony in the federal government ministries, parastatals and agencies.

7 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by esorison(m): 10:18pm On Nov 07, 2018
It’s alright. I think I am beginning to feel a good energy from the NASS men.
Kudos!

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Kenturkey048(m): 10:19pm On Nov 07, 2018
when minimum wage go start take effect

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by iambabaG: 10:20pm On Nov 07, 2018
I totally agree..
With factors like ASUU strike and other uncontrollable factors faced by students; they shouldn’t be made to suffer.
Imagine a bank pegging employment at 23.. How ridiculous!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by GreatEngineer(m): 10:21pm On Nov 07, 2018
When are we going to have bill to eradicate poverty finally in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:22pm On Nov 07, 2018
This is a welcome development

1 Like

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by sorom4: 10:23pm On Nov 07, 2018
It can only be from a PDP member.
APC members in the Senate are more concerned as to how to impeach their colleagues than on how to better the lives of the people

10 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Laju1234: 10:23pm On Nov 07, 2018
Good. For people wey don old like me cry

1 Like

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by EverestdeBliu(m): 10:23pm On Nov 07, 2018
Good one!
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Qsscruz(m): 10:24pm On Nov 07, 2018
ybman:
If I own an establishment, will I then employ a older person instead of a young energetic person?
I think this will only apply to government jobs...

Does age indicate the productivity of an individual? Would you rather kick out an older person who is competent and hire a lad who doesnt know his onions just because he is young?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Jaynom(m): 10:27pm On Nov 07, 2018
Hmmn! Amazing development. Ageism is a big problem. A person should be employed based on intellectual strengths/potential and not age. Discrimination against FLAT FOOTED candidates in the military should be stopped. Terrorists don't care about your foot when they recruit, they just give you a gun. Back to the topic, this is great I hope it becomes law

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Emaytex(m): 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2018
Qsscruz:
Until then
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Emaytex(m): 10:29pm On Nov 07, 2018
Qsscruz:
Until then
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 07, 2018
GreatEngineer:
When are we going to have bill to eradicate poverty finally in Nigeria.
Poverty can not be eradicated but can be reduced
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by ozo13(m): 10:34pm On Nov 07, 2018
Nice development
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Tonymegabush1(m): 10:35pm On Nov 07, 2018
They should ensure that age restrictions as regards job seekers is dealth with, Nigeria graduates face too many obstacles to graduate from school which ASUU strike is one of. This unforeseen circumstances has led many to manipulate their birth certificates

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by dhardline(m): 10:40pm On Nov 07, 2018
Nice one
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by sirusX(m): 10:45pm On Nov 07, 2018
Jaynom:
Hmmn! Amazing development. Ageism is a big problem. A person should be employed based on intellectual strengths and not age. Discrimination against FLAT FOOTED candidates in the military should be stopped. Terrorists don't care about your foot when they recruit, they just give you a gun. Back to the topic, this is great I hope it becomes law

Gbam!
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by TrueLEADER: 10:48pm On Nov 07, 2018
ybman:

Certainly, it will only apply to government agencies.
Yet, the once withen d age limits are still unemployed...

The point is, Merit should decide that, not Age.

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Flango: 11:00pm On Nov 07, 2018
shocked
While I think these companies should be more considerate with regards to age, I can understand some situations.

First, tertiary institutions don't train employees for a particular company, hence, the need for companies to mould the employee to their taste. For some this can take some years of training and learning on the job which makes it necessary to recruit youngsters.

Secondly, the youngsters are most likely single, energetic and have less responsibilities. They are also flexible and highly mobile. This means that their jobs are the only thing they have to focus on, at least for the short term. It will be nice to get the best of their youthful period.

Finally, you might need employees who have served the company for many years and still have time to take up management positions.

Even football clubs go for certain age brackets when looking at the long term.

But I think 30 years and below is fine for such peculiar needs, not all those below 24 with 10 years experience. angry

I'm talking about graduate trainee, and not all job types

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by naijacentric(m): 11:15pm On Nov 07, 2018
Qsscruz:

Does age indicate the productivity of an individual? Would you rather kick out an older person who is competent and hire a lad who doesnt know his onions just because he is young?
no mind am na mumu dey worry am its sad some nigerians dont know age is just number

(1) (2) (Reply)

Doing Yahoo Because Of Slavery Is Mental Laziness - Reno Omokri Attacks Yahoo Bo / Lauretta Onochie Tackles Obasanjo On Fulanisation Claim / Server Controversy: I Will Open Up Soon, Says INEC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.