Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,075 members, 7,957,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:50 AM

Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading (18072 Views)

Bill To Create New State In South-East Passes Second Reading At House Of Reps / Bill Seeking To Reduce Advance Payment In FCT, Passes Second Reading In Senate / Minimum Wage Bill Passes Second Reading At Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by tosyne2much(m): 11:27pm On Nov 07, 2018
Qsscruz:

Does age indicate the productivity of an individual? Would you rather kick out an older person who is competent and hire a lad who doesnt know his onions just because he is young?
Help me ring that to his ears
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by samlake(m): 11:35pm On Nov 07, 2018
When other countries are developing, Nigerians still have time for age restrictions.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 07, 2018
nwakibie3:
A bill for an Act to eradicate age discrimination against job seekers in Federal Government agencies and other related matters passed its second reading in the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

The bill, which was sponsored by Rep. Sergius Ogun (PDP-Edo), seeks to stop the disqualification of qualified job seekers in Federal Government agencies on the account of age.

Leading the debate, Ogun said that the consideration of the bill would ensure that no Nigerian job seeker was denied employment on the account of age.

He said that the bill would also demonstrate the commitment of the House of Representatives to making laws for the good of the citizens.

Ogun said that over the years, the lack of legislation had led to the restrictions placed on employment age by multinational, private sector and even government agencies.

“The rationale for this bill is to ensure that no artificial barrier is allowed to preponderate over merit, which rarely has anything to do with age,” he said.

The lawmaker, however, said that certain jobs in field of sports or the military required youthfulness and agility, adding that judging by international best practices, age limitation in that case did not amount to discrimination.

Ogun said that those who were denied employment because of factors such as age often became depressed and could later develop various types of life-threatening diseases.

In his contributions, the Deputy Speaker of the House, Rep. Yussuf Lassun (APC-Osun), said that the 1999 Constitution had already provided legislation which outlawed any form of discrimination.

He, however, said that a standard should be set, while such sections of the Constitution should be tested in court by anyone who experienced discrimination.

Lassun stressed that the bill, if passed into law, would be replication of the section of the Constitution which stated that no Nigerian should suffer any form of discrimination.

In his ruling, the Speaker of the House, Mr Yakubu Dogara, forwarded the bill to the House Committee on Labour, Employment and Productivity for further legislative action.

https://politicsngr.com/bill-eradicate-age-induced-discrimination-employment-passes-second-reading/

Buhari n daura wee be like 5 & 6 soon.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Andy2274: 11:51pm On Nov 07, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Please isn't it ripe to pass a bill that will eradicate discrimination against LGBTs in Nigeria?
. No. Unless a bill to eradicate an adulterous baby like you.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by socialmediaman: 11:53pm On Nov 07, 2018
ybman:
If I own an establishment, will I then employ a older person instead of a young energetic person?

Certainly, it will only apply to government agencies.
Yet, the once withen d age limits are still unemployed...

Discrimination doesn’t belong in the workplace. If they can do the job, hire them
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by juniorstar(m): 12:03am On Nov 08, 2018
Until we deal with our weakened institution this bill if passed aint going to make any difference...
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Nukilia: 12:52am On Nov 08, 2018
ybman:
If I own an establishment, will I then employ a older person instead of a young energetic person?

Stop acting like an slowpoke! Apologies to real imbeciles lipsrsealed Stone age man
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 12:58am On Nov 08, 2018
Buhari is 84 years and he is still working.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by AyakaDunukofia: 1:39am On Nov 08, 2018
Why didn't they simply call the bill Equal Opportunity Bill instead of the sluggish, tiring phrase?
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by KingMicky3286: 2:58am On Nov 08, 2018
ybman:

You can employ our papas as gate men ( G.M) to enable them get money to buy snuff. (Utaba)
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by israelmao(m): 3:15am On Nov 08, 2018
What we should do more is empowering people to be self-reliant because it is impossible for everybody in a nation to live on salaried jobs.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by efemena5050(m): 4:28am On Nov 08, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Please isn't it ripe to pass a bill that will eradicate discrimination against LGBTs in Nigeria?
purple goat always trying to seek attention......... FREAK
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by kenex4ever(m): 4:31am On Nov 08, 2018
Bill of the century,,!!!!

This is a good one

Long overdue

This will reduce age falsification

This will help children of the poor that couldn't gain admission early enough even though they are very smart
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Unemadu: 5:03am On Nov 08, 2018
Flango:
shocked
While I think these companies should be more considerate with regards to age, I can understand some situations.

First, tertiary institutions don't train employees for a particular company, hence, the need for companies to mould the employee to their taste. For some this can take some years of training and learning on the job which makes it necessary to recruit youngsters.

Secondly, the youngsters are most likely single, energetic and have less responsibilities. They are also flexible and highly mobile. This means that their jobs are the only thing they have to focus on, at least for the short term. It will be nice to get the best of their youthful period.

Finally, you might need employees who have served the company for many years and still have time to take up management positions.

Even football clubs go for certain age brackets when looking at the long term.

But I think 30 years and below is fine for such peculiar needs, not all those below 24 with 10 years experience. angry

I'm talking about graduate trainee, and not all job types

No to discrimination based on age,gender, tribe,religion, point blank period!
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by COSIBI: 5:56am On Nov 08, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

ID yourself, man.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Queenmark: 6:04am On Nov 08, 2018
Well companies will advertise and take the age they need.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by wizzdy: 6:19am On Nov 08, 2018
How do you tell the applicants real age when most older people falsify age to get these jobs.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by smyo(m): 6:26am On Nov 08, 2018
That's very good Mr Sarrki

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by judeoko1: 6:58am On Nov 08, 2018
winnings are great , we doing it again today, call or whatsapp to confirm.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by mechanics(m): 7:59am On Nov 08, 2018
Not all federal government agencies discriminate on the basis of age, it's mostly done in the private sector, if passed into law, it will go a long way to alleviate the sufferings of those looking for employment opportunities as certain age.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Bambambiglo: 8:42am On Nov 08, 2018
ybman:

Foolish post from a foolish poster
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by CsRockefeller(m): 8:53am On Nov 08, 2018
Jaynom:
Hmmn! Amazing development. Ageism is a big problem. A person should be employed based on intellectual strengths/potential and not age. Discrimination against FLAT FOOTED candidates in the military should be stopped. Terrorists don't care about your foot when they recruit, they just give you a gun. Back to the topic, this is great I hope it becomes law

Lol... grin
To be fair on d military, there are physical hindrances that àre prevalent in flat feet individuals, I have a flat foot on my right leg only, though I have stamina and can run for hours, that's because I am a sporty person, the same can not be said of other flat foot individuals.

If you have a flat foot/feet and you can train body regularly you won't have a problem, after all, even à stammerer can be a good musician if he/she can rise against their challenge.

Bottom line is that flat foot is a physical hindrance to being athletic, if you want to be taken, then you must be ready to put in d effort that it requires.

(Just a quick one: I participated and completed the first Lagos/Access Bank Marathon of 48km, that's how far I have trained myself, I look forward to the Navy recruitment)
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by tosyne2much(m): 10:01am On Nov 08, 2018
Now, this government is getting serious because of second term
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by dfrost: 10:13am On Nov 08, 2018
highcadre:
State of origin too!!

If I see that in any cv, automatically you are disqualified.

DOB, Gender, State of Origin, Tribe and Religious affiliation are a no-no for me in a cv. angry
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by precious1967(m): 10:30am On Nov 08, 2018
Good bill
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by denko(m): 10:47am On Nov 08, 2018
Experience comes with age
ybman:

Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Jaynom(m): 1:18pm On Nov 08, 2018
CsRockefeller:

Lol... grin
To be fair on d military, there are physical hindrances that àre prevalent in flat feet individuals, I have a flat foot on my right leg only, though I have stamina and can run for hours, that's because I am a sporty person, the same can not be said of other flat foot individuals.

If you have a flat foot/feet and you can train body regularly you won't have a problem, after all, even à stammerer can be a good musician if he/she can rise against their challenge.

Bottom line is that flat foot is a physical hindrance to being athletic, if you want to be taken, then you must be ready to put in d effort that it requires.

(Just a quick one: I participated and completed the first Lagos/Access Bank Marathon of 48km, that's how far I have trained myself, I look forward to the Navy recruitment)
Lol ... I get you. My point is people should be given an opportunity to prove themselves . I can have flat feet and still be an amazing Sniper or strategist. The BULLETS don't care what your feet look like. And I feel this FEET CRITERIA is a West African thing, the South Korean and Israeli government doesn't care about your feet or hand eye coordination, you must serve in their military as long as you are Healthy
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by GetCofOProperty: 7:43pm On Nov 08, 2018
tosyne2much:
Now, this government is getting serious because of second term
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Jman06(m): 10:18am On Nov 29, 2018
ybman:

It depends on the sort of job you do in your establishment. If the job involves running a marathon race every day, then you can go ahead and employ a younger person. But if it is a job that requires mental prowess, emotional intelligence, honesty and trustworthiness, I'll advise you to jettison age restrictions and employ people based on merit.
Re: Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading by Jman06(m): 10:23am On Nov 29, 2018
This is a welcome development. Sometimes I laugh at employers who put all those obnoxious age restrictions. Age is hardly a factor in determining an employee's productivity! A 50years old man maybe far more productive than a 25yo.
All those age discrimination should be stopped, even in the private sector! It is contributing to the high unemployment rate in the country.
Employers should learn to always set rules of engagement without biases and make their employees abide by such rules regardless of their ages. Those who break such rules should be punished accordingly. I'm of the above view because some private employers have the mindset of employing younger people they can easily lord over! This is not how businesses work! There should be laws guiding every business and defaulters of such laws should be punished accordingly.
No wonder many businesses are failing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lauretta Onochie Tackles Obasanjo On Fulanisation Claim / Doing Yahoo Because Of Slavery Is Mental Laziness - Reno Omokri Attacks Yahoo Bo / Ultimatum To Herders: SANs Back Akeredolu, Insist Action Not Unconstitutional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.