Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,756 members, 7,955,877 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:38 PM

Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 (19732 Views)

119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka / Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by jakandeola(m): 2:18pm On Nov 09, 2018
Duru1:

I lived in Yari.ba land for a long time and no part of Nigeria had produced more bastards than Yari.ba land. This is a factual fact. Again, it seems you have issue with grammar.

I ignore animals
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by jakandeola(m): 2:22pm On Nov 09, 2018
Yorobastard:

Yes correct her by not beating her....that how it's done
guy how do u correct a sturbborn girl a girl DAT know u hate sometin yet she do it. wen I beat my woman is of love cos I feel pains too. am a matured guy xpirince in love and date any girl I beat later apologised cos she knw shes wrong and I say sorry too she change.even bibile say spare de rod spoil de child
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by LZAA: 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2018
Roger3D:
This is some real bad news. You mean to tell me hat after December 28 my nairaland osu friends LZAA and Immhotep will no longer be osus? This is unacceptable, in fact I will not take it grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by jafol(m): 3:52pm On Nov 09, 2018
TimeMachine:
The Yorubas should follow the footsteps of the Igbos and end the lying down or kneeling down to 'greet Elders'. It is demeaning to equality of all Humans.

No human being deserves to be worshipped in the name of respect.
What does osu caste habe to do with yoruba culture? Ori e tidaru. Is it this same uncultured ibos u want us to follow? Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Yorobastard(m): 3:55pm On Nov 09, 2018
jakandeola:
guy how do u correct a sturbborn girl a girl DAT know u hate sometin yet she do it. wen I beat my woman is of love cos I feel pains too. am a matured guy xpirince in love and date any girl I beat later apologised cos she knw shes wrong and I say sorry too she change.even bibile say spare de rod spoil de child

Person wey get experience for love no go fit do wetin you dey do.....it's not proper sha....I leave you now
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by jafol(m): 4:03pm On Nov 09, 2018
jakandeola:
they are only good for sex cos they lack manners and to marry dem is a problem a girl I bring home to mum Neva respect her
My brother Ibo women like you when u get money or if she is getting too old and no one want to marry her. An ibo girl have a biafran mentality in her head so when she gets to yoruba family, her mission is to disrespect for biafra. That's y I want yorubalands educate their kids about biafra, cos these girls would do anything for u bit wait until u marry them, then they will start disrespecting yorubas starting from ur mother. They feel threatened . I feel sorry for Davido, i am waiting for that girl chioma to start misbehaving. Its in their blood. She is playing good girl until its official. I saw one of her instagram video recently when she is telling one of davido boys that " mi gbo yoruba, dont speak to me in yoruba, migbo yoruba" i was like really bitch? And this is the kind of girl davido wan marry. I just dey laugh.
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Prosperchuks1344(m): 4:44pm On Nov 09, 2018
jakandeola:
illetrate animals that lived like is 1949
PLS NO GET HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE OVER IGBO MATTER.
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Roger3D(m): 5:09pm On Nov 09, 2018
immhotep:

LMAO
When we tell you that Igbo amaka you will start arguments upandan grin

Cc velocity25 eternaltruths jumpandpas
I don't talk to Osu slaves, hala me in December angry

1 Like

Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by oyatz(m): 5:24pm On Nov 09, 2018
Stop generalizing bros.

They are bad or good people everywhere.
I know many close family friends who are products of Yoruba-igbo marriages and their homes are blessed homes.

If you meet the right person, you can indeed fall in love with anybody... Man-Woman affairs is far more complex than most people think.

Mary the person that truly loves you and can make you happy.
They may be Igbo, Fulani, Ghanaian or even Eskimo.

jakandeola:
they are only good for sex cos they lack manners and to marry dem is a problem a girl I bring home to mum Neva respect her
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by oyatz(m): 5:34pm On Nov 09, 2018
Funny enough, if I tell you one thing, you won't believe it.

At the peak of IPOB wahala, I carried a personal unofficial survey in the South west and to my greatest surprise, only about 20% of Yoruba Youths under 25years have good understands of what Biafra is all about, more than half think Biafra means the civil war and some don't even know what Biafra is all together.

Virtually most Hausa youth don't even know what Biafra is.

Biafra is only well known to people from the S/East and some of the S/South.

jafol:

My brother Ibo women like you when u get money or if she is getting too old and no one want to marry her. An ibo girl have a biafran mentality in her head so when she gets to yoruba family, her mission is to disrespect for biafra. That's y I want yorubalands educate their kids about biafra, cos these girls would do anything for u bit wait until u marry them, then they will start disrespecting yorubas starting from ur mother. They feel threatened . I feel sorry for Davido, i am waiting for that girl chioma to start misbehaving. Its in their blood. She is playing good girl until its official. I saw one of her instagram video recently when she is telling one of davido boys that " mi gbo yoruba, dont speak to me in yoruba, migbo yoruba" i was like really bitch? And this is the kind of girl davido wan marry. I just dey laugh.
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2018
Roger3D:
I don't talk to Osu slaves, hala me in December angry
But you have been eyeing osu women for the past 10 years.

Cc velocity25 eternaltruths jumpandpas lzaa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by LZAA: 7:55pm On Nov 09, 2018
immhotep:

But you have been eyeing osu women for the past 10 years.

Cc velocity25 eternaltruths jumpandpas lzaa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Modarun(m): 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2018
jakandeola:
I hate IBO for dis and av sware nothing can make me marry them

see Afonja that cant even give his woman 5k to cook soup is joining issues when himan beings are talking? Who dash monkey banana? which real Igbo lady would date you?
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by jafol(m): 10:24pm On Nov 09, 2018
oyatz:
Funny enough, if I tell you one thing, you won't believe it.

At the peak of IPOB wahala, I carried a personal unofficial survey in the South west and to my greatest surprise, only about 20% of Yoruba Youths under 25years have good understands of what Biafra is all about, more than half think Biafra means the civil war and some don't even know what Biafra is all together.

Virtually most Hausa youth don't even know what Biafra is.

Biafra is only well known to people from the S/East and some of the S/South.

My brother I know what you r talking about cos I was a victim too. My brother was a victim of one crazy igbo girl. Then its hard for me to differentiate ibo n yoruba cos we live together in lagos communities. During school, when i ask My father , he told me then that we just have civil war , they never call it biafra war. When i asked what happened, no mention of what ibos did. But ojukwu's name was always popping up somehow, Until I researched and read myself few years ago. The reason was my experiences with ibos and majority of what was said during goodluck jonathan regime by igbos n to top it all nairaland . I started peicing one to one together. I will go out of my way to let our yoruba governors know about this and families as well. I really hate them now
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Ilawless(m): 11:10pm On Nov 09, 2018
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by gudluckgreat(m): 2:46pm On Nov 10, 2018
Dpharisee:
Its a new dawn for Igbos, the land will be cleansed of the blood and wrongs done to Igbos in the past and atoned for, already there will be visitors and Igbo descendants from Jamaica, Cuba, USA, Haiti and other countries sold into slavery by forefathers coming to Nri which is the cradle of Igboland for this event.
Many Igbos have suffered because of this stupid practice which led them into marrying wrong partners after they were denied the love of their lives by their families or communities.

Some have suggested that a severe penalty must be imposed by the traditional rulers to deter jealous people, who will still hold on to it, because it is the consolation they have used to disparage those who are more beautiful and successful than them.

Just a little deviation, those who are referred to as Osu have the most beautiful ladies and men because they are descendants of the strongest and most handsome in the family who were sacrificed to serve the gods (the gods are given only the best) or sold into slavery to the white man who wanted only the strongest and most fit to work in his plantations in the New World. But thats not what this event is all about.

It appears you don't even know a dime about the history of the caste system.
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Paentera(m): 6:17pm On Nov 10, 2018
Sanchez01:

This makes sense. Unfortunately, the Osu Caste system isn't going away anytime soon, not even after the slated date.

The practice is somewhat dogmatic that some so-called religious people have not been able to drop it in the name of their fate.

Save there is a mass mind purge, so many families will still hold this 'tradition' dearly, particularly when it bothers around marriage and fellowship.

I once asked an Igbo colleague at work about her take on the OSU system and why it continues being practiced and from her explanation and all the curses she believes will befall any family that marries into another OSU family, I doubt this cleansing on December 28 will make much of a difference for the fact that the mindset developed by a cultural practice is far more difficult to eradicate than envisaged.

That day ehn, despite she being a staunch Catholic Christian, she was unable to see beyond her own nose that before God, an OSU is as equal to her. She recalled and backed up her belief with several incidences and stories that occurred simply because one of the persons involved is OSU. Nothing I said to counter this, including that God created us all equal before Him, could convince her.

I will ask her in the coming week and I can guess her response - she will never allow her only daughter to marry an OSU - cleansing or no cleansing. I can bet that this mindset is replicated across many homes of other Igbos more out of fear of the unknown (largely unjustified and unfounded).

To get rid of that mindset will take a LONG time - I reckon another 50 years to completely let go.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by gudluckgreat(m): 11:45pm On Nov 12, 2018
Paentera:

I once asked an Igbo colleague at work about her take on the OSU system and why it continues being practiced and from her explanation and all the curses she believes will befall any family that marries into another OSU family, I doubt this cleansing on December 28 will make much of a difference for the fact that the mindset developed by a cultural practice is far more difficult to eradicate than envisaged.

That day ehn, despite she being a staunch Catholic Christian, she was unable to see beyond her own nose that before God, an OSU is as equal to her. She recalled and backed up her belief with several incidences and stories that occurred simply because one of the persons involved is OSU. Nothing I said to counter this, including that God created us all equal before Him, could convince her.

I will ask her in the coming week and I can guess her response - she will never allow her only daughter to marry an OSU - cleansing or no cleansing. I can bet that this mindset is replicated across many homes of other Igbos more out of fear of the unknown (largely unjustified and unfounded).

To get rid of that mindset will take a LONG time - I reckon another 50 years to completely let go.

May I ask you a question? Why did God clearly point out to Abraham to never let his descendants marry from the people of Cannan? Were those people created by the devil or is it to say that of all the people in the nations of Cannan, there can never be found a worthy maiden to marry?
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by Paentera(m): 11:56pm On Nov 12, 2018
gudluckgreat:

May I ask you a question? Why did God clearly point out to Abraham to never let his descendants marry from the people of Cannan? Were those people created by the devil or is it to say that of all the people in the nations of Cannan, there can never be found a worthy maiden to marry?

In essence, the Bible which you quote but does not apply to 4/5 of the world's population that are non Christian is now absolute?
Re: Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 by gudluckgreat(m): 8:59am On Nov 13, 2018
Paentera:

In essence, the Bible which you quote but does not apply to 4/5 of the world's population that are non Christian is now absolute?

Which invariably means that, notwithstanding the harm that this practice has done, you shouldn't use the bible as reference of correction as the instructions given is never any different from this. Don't you agree?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo: Wrestling Festival In Adamawa / Ooni Of Ife Lays Wreath At Commonwealth Remembrance Day In UK(Pics) / Ile-ife Is Our Home, Benin Reps Tell Ooni (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.