Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,689 members, 7,844,267 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

The Emergence Of "Fish Agents" In Catfish Farming In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Emergence Of "Fish Agents" In Catfish Farming In Nigeria (307 Views)

I Want To Start Pig Farming In The North / Free Catfish Farming (Training) Mobilisation / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Emergence Of "Fish Agents" In Catfish Farming In Nigeria by Kinzman(m): 3:13pm On Nov 09, 2018
For some time now, I have observed the emergence/widespread of the so called fish agents and its consequences in the Catfish Farming Sector in Nigeria. How it all started, how it got to where it is currently and how to control it are questions that all catfish farmers need to ponder on.

It is so sad that a farmer will labour, spend money and time, only for someone that has probably never owned a farm before to dictate the selling price for him.

Have we ever wondered why the cost of feed keeps increasing, but the selling price of catfish keeps dropping? These agents, because of their own commissions, go to the major catfish buyers and offer them some ridiculous prices and thereby create an impression that there is a glut in the market. They will now come to the farmers and capitalize on the desperation of some farmers to sell. Their usual slogan is 'if you can sell for me at x-amount, I will buy all your stocks......without any consideration on whether such price is in any way profitable to you as a farmer.

Recently, one of the agents was actually sending me series of messages on a pretence that he's a processor and when I eventually invited him to come and buy, the story changed, and he started offering me a very ridiculous price. I did not even waste my time further with him; I quickly parked him aside and moved on.

Do we allow these fellows to continue dictating the selling price for us? Are we able to stand our ground when they come to us with their ridiculous offers? If it continues this way, what happens to this sector in the very near future?

Comments, contributions, suggestions and ideas are welcome from co-farmers.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Raw And Clean Sesame Seeds Available For Pick Up / Chaff Cutter Is Introduced / I'm Looking For Cow Gallstone!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.