Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Church Bassist Needs Advice - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Bassist Needs Advice (8780 Views)

2018 Full Prophetic prophecies and prayer point needed By GO MFM Dr D.K OLUKOYA / Advice Needed: Neighboring Church Noise / Muslims And Christians , Pls I Need Some Clarifications (matured Minds Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Bassist Needs Advice by pfijacobs(m): 2:22am On Nov 10, 2018
Hello nairalanders.. i wont bother you with too much epistle.. i have a friend of mine who came for advice to me and i felt you guys can help me shed some light on the matter..

My friend is a basist who has been playing and acting as a music director for the past 11 years without collecting a dime in a church..

last year he went into some problems and needed about 180k urgently to sort out his schooling issues..

he missed church for 2 weeks to hustle some money and his name was removed from the ordination list and he was alienated from the church without any sort of help rendered..
he still returned, begged and continued steadfastly till 3 weeks ago when his house rent expired and his mother fell sick..

he met the general overseer again and asked for help not even for the rent but assistance to collect his medical license so he can at least source for a housemamship slot

The general overseer said there was no money as he was going for his mothers burial and that the church wanted to buy a land of over 3 million naira in the east where there is no single member but he would talk to some people

Following sunday he was told that so many stories were told about him (the basist) and that before anything will be done for him they have to hear from the mother.

He made up his mind to go and play outside for some cash at least for now till he can raise the money for the license and probably get a good job

He doesnt know if he's on the right path and the g.o has been using him to preach ever since making statements like money is not everything, stopp being proud with your talent etc..

Whats your take please??
Should he leave or stay?

P.S: he was inducted into the medical profession in February and has not been able to collect his license because of the seemingly unmountable challenges of his mums health and a loan she took sometime ago.
Please urgent advice needed. Thanks
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by bizza45: 2:25am On Nov 10, 2018
Which kin story b this one... So ur friend has become a good Samaritan now baa... If e like make e no go look for money .... Make e dey there dey dash church e talent , church wey go abandon am if e get mata

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by pfijacobs(m): 2:29am On Nov 10, 2018
bizza45:
Which kin story b this one... So ur friend has become a good Samaritan now baa... If e like make e no go look for money .... Make e dey there dey dash church e talent , church wey go abandon am if e get mata

Thanks for the advice brother.. he's soft hearted... he's been recieving various offers that he turned down because he's very good...
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Upsidedown9ja(m): 2:50am On Nov 10, 2018
If the church can’t help him, then I don’t see the reason why he is going to that lie church. Let him use his Telent ohh.

7 Likes

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by pfijacobs(m): 3:03am On Nov 10, 2018
Upsidedown9ja:
If the church can’t help him, then I don’t see the reason why he is going to that lie church. Let him use his Telent ohh.
thanks for your advice
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Rednose: 3:42am On Nov 10, 2018
There are some situations in life we face that tell us - It's time to move on. 11 years is too long to serve and not be appreciated. Music Directors are salaried staff in many establised churches. He should also sort out the issue with his license so that he can get a job.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Talknochip(m): 3:50am On Nov 10, 2018
I dont really get that side that said the pastor want to talk to the mum.... Are they trying to confirm everything from the Mum first?... Why not make that happen first?

5 Likes

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by chukwuibuipob: 3:53am On Nov 10, 2018
sad embarassed angry sad lipsrsealed cry undecided sad which kind 'useless Church' is dat? Yes very useless one @ dat.A church dat collect but can't render assistance to memba/ non memba, is dat one a Church? Why waste ur tym begging the GO? Leave there b4 God leave U.Same way some Pastors in one Popular Church in Ota behave.Dey attend /approved money to their friends, relative,family/GF.but Wen it cum to a common man, they'll pray/ anoint u with oil/ tell u to have Faith.The popular GO is not aware of dis.Reason why sum people leave the Church back then.God will not sleep

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by pfijacobs(m): 8:47am On Nov 10, 2018
Rednose:
There are some situations in life we face that tell us - It's time to move on. 11 years is too long to serve and not be appreciated. Music Directors are salaried staff in many establised churches. He should also sort out the issue with his license so that he can get a job.
thank you sir... its not like he said he wants to leave permanently he just wants some money to sort himself out...... thanks once again for the advice
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by pfijacobs(m): 8:48am On Nov 10, 2018
Talknochip:
I dont really get that side that the pastor want to talk to the mum.... Are they trying to confirm everything from the Mum first?... Why not make that happen first?
according to him its like they think he wants to eat their money or he is lying
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Ihedinobi3: 9:09am On Nov 10, 2018
Hi.

I'm sorry about your friend. These are some of the hardships of life in this world.

I am also sorry for the attitude of the church he attends. That is very unfortunate indeed. I don't know the church or the pastor so I won't say more than that.

As for your question, the Bible does say,

1 Timothy 5:8
[8]But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

That is a primary duty. He is responsible for his mother. The church certainly ought to help if he is worthy of help (and from what you have said, he sounds very much like he is) but if it cannot or will not for any reason, then he is responsible to do everything he can within moral limits to provide for himself and his mother.

It is wrong of the GO to make him the subject of his preaching if he is doing so. We are first responsible for ourselves and our families before we are responsible for the church. This is just common sense.

So, for what it's worth, I encourage him to do what he can to earn and provide his needs and his mother's. It is the Lord to Whom he owes service, not to a man. Therefore, he must serve in the way that the Lord Himself has commanded him to in the Bible.

Grace be with you.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by xproducer: 2:00pm On Nov 10, 2018
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:5-7

"In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:6

If one can labour with one's own hands, one should to generate funds, if opportunity exists. - Ephesians 4:28, 1 Thessalonians 4:11

1 Like

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by pfijacobs(m): 6:55pm On Nov 10, 2018
xproducer:
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:5-7

"In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:6

If one can labour with one's own hands, one should to generate funds, if opportunity exists. - Ephesians 4:28, 1 Thessalonians 4:11
Thanks for your input
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by lightwhite: 9:45pm On Nov 10, 2018
Church cannot carry everyone's burdens but he should leave to go for what will fetch him money since they can't help him at all. What is funny here is that if his mum dies of the sickness now, you will see them rallying round to support towards the burial.
Many people don't believe you need help until they see you ruined in situations that could have been avoided. It's sad.

10 Likes

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by pfijacobs(m): 6:33am On Nov 11, 2018
Good morning guys...

Lalasticlala its a wonderful sunday morning why not send this to the front page so more input could be added
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Reinah(f): 8:40am On Nov 11, 2018
Here is one of the reasons I think instrumentalists, especially the ones with no other job, should be paid.. No matter how little.

This is one of several things going on in churches. Underneath all that fine attires people wear to church, there are big problems even the church leaders can't help them solve. Do people in church still care about the well-being of others sef? Every body just OYO.

I know the church can't cater for every problem but 11 years is too long for him not to matter enough for them to pull some strings together and get him help. Either they help him get his license or help his mother.

I pray your friend gets the help he needs.. I'd also not advice him to remain in that church, not because they couldn't help him but because I don't see love in the church. Let's forget the "You are serving God not men" line.. Every one needs appreciation and for a church that couldn't show the love they say Christianity is about (if they preach love at all), not even by giving emotional support, Let him just leave. If he stays because of what people would say, He might end up developing hate or bitterness for the church.

If he goes the wrong way to get the money now or stops going to church.. The same church people will talk about how "brother Timothy has gone astray" and cast him away.

These systems called Churches eh cry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by adelee777: 2:52pm On Nov 11, 2018
The church reminds me of the Pharisees. They care about the Sabbath day, but don't care if anyone is dying in front of them on the Sabbath day.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2018
I love their Christ but HATE their Christians, because their Christians do no behave like their Christ!.........
Mahatma Ghandi, the great Buddhist from India!

END OF DISCUSSION!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by dingbang(m): 4:20pm On Nov 11, 2018
Today's church don't seem to care about the welfare of her members. They come to brainwash you with passages of seedsowing but ignore to read the part where the lord gets angry at those who sell his word for money.

May the lord forgive today's pastors in Jesus name.
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by ednut1(m): 4:20pm On Nov 11, 2018
Most churches are like that. They do not practice what they preach. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Vorto: 4:23pm On Nov 11, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Naughtytboy: 4:25pm On Nov 11, 2018
I sing and play the keyboRd, i dont want any help from them i see it as building my talent. LET him go and look for cash

1 Like

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 11, 2018
First, you or (your friend) has been using his knowledge of playing base guitar to worship his God and not as a job. Be that as it may, I don't like the idea of preaching with you because you went elsewhere to play to meet up your financial burden. Even if the church can not help, the Pastor should be understanding.

Anyway, Change church, simple! Men of God aren't God and they can err.
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Chukazu: 4:27pm On Nov 11, 2018
Any Church paying pastor should be able to take care of such talent... If they can't allow him to go.

Those who would feel aggrieved should donate their own children to the church.

Money is not everything ,the more reason they should bail him out.

I have been in his shoes, mine was more than 11 years, at end you get dumped .

He shouldn't look listen to what people say...Na dem get dem mouth

In the early church Bible records that people sold properties to meet MEMBERS needs, today Churches are ready to even "sell human being to meet Church needs" sad

2 Likes

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Yohh: 4:28pm On Nov 11, 2018
Always narrating for a friend angry
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by ehissi(m): 4:28pm On Nov 11, 2018
pfijacobs:
Hello nairalanders.. i wont bother you with too much epistle.. i have a friend of mine who came for advice to me and i felt you guys can help me shed some light on the matter..

My friend is a basist who has been playing and acting as a music director for the past 11 years without collecting a dime in a church..

last year he went into some problems and needed about 180k urgently to sort out his schooling issues..

he missed church for 2 weeks to hustle some money and his name was removed from the ordination list and he was alienated from the church without any sort of help rendered..
he still returned, begged and continued steadfastly till 3 weeks ago when his house rent expired and his mother fell sick..

he met the general overseer again and asked for help not even for the rent but assistance to collect his medical license so he can at least source for a housemanship slot

The general overseer said there was no money as he was going for his mothers burial and that the church wanted to buy a land of over 3 million naira in the east where there is no single member but he would talk to some people

Following sunday he was told that so many stories were told about him (the bassist) and that before anything will be done for him they have to hear from the mother.

He made up his mind to go and play outside for some cash at least for now till he can raise the money for the license and probably get a good job

He doesnt know if he's on the right path and the g.o has been using him to preach ever since making statements like money is not everything, stopp being proud with your talent etc..

Whats your take please??
Should he leave or stay?

P.S: he was inducted into the medical profession in February and has not been able to collect his license because of the seemingly unmountable challenges of his mums health and a loan she took sometime ago.
Please urgent advice needed. Thanks

Let me first of say that in a church/ministry setting, it is relationships that matters the most and nothing else.

If the Bassist has a close relationship with his G.O, and is of good conduct in his manner of life, such that the G.O can vouch for his character as a person, then this story won't be here.

Sometimes people forget that the man of God is not God Almighty and as such is subject to trials and temptations as any other. He is bound to first assess you based on what he sees with his eyes and hears with his ears, only God can read the table of your heart.

Every ministry has it own protocol and administrative checks and balances. If bassist took off for two weeks to hustle for cash, did he notify the ministry/G.O. properly of his intention to take leave of absence based on their own "in-house" protocols?

If he didn't, then it is understandable that he was kicked off the ordination list, especially when they have no other skilled bassist to replace him, alienation could simply be a function of uninformed bad belle, especially from members/people who don't know the real story of his absence nor understand the bassist's character...........

If the way OP table the matter here is the way the owner of the story tabled the matter, then the bassist has a serious challenge managing relationships in church.........

If he feels the need to excuse himself to make money to settle issues in his life, it's ok. The problem is why he feels guilty about it?

There is a lot to this story that is yet to be seen. For you to be the topic of a G.O. preaching, then there is a lot of other things happening that seem to be omitted from this story. If you get a job in a blue chip company in Europe, you wont ask this question. You will simply take off and leave, in short you and the church will even package your leaving as a testimony of the result of God blessing your 11 years of unpaid service.

The question is raised because OP don first dey do before this matter hit am and to leave unceremoniously/ceremoniously, go dey one kind. 11 years is long enough to sow in a ministry to the point of being attached to it, so some things that happen there may hurt such a person.

If OP wants to scale down his responsibilities in the ministry for a while to go and hustle to raise cash, no problem. If he wants to leave permanently to get a paid Job as a music director elsewhere, then...................................He has a problem

If they say they want to hear from his mother before they help him, it only fuels my suspicion of untreated issues of lack of trust within the ministry. Except it wont be convenient to do so, then he should introduce his G.O. to his mum sharp sharp, restore whatever cracks that exist in his relationship with his G.O and debunk all those useless stories once and for all..............

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by ObservantFellow: 4:28pm On Nov 11, 2018
He better be careful with making demands from them before they begin to assume he owes them his future.
I believe he'ld be better off rendering free medical assistance than playing instruments if his mission in life is to save something, be it one's life or one's soul.
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by urbobo20(m): 4:29pm On Nov 11, 2018
old tell ur u friend to and look for job. or is the pastor not carrying for his family., did GOd ask you friend not to accept any other church offer
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by SonsOfLiverpool(m): 4:29pm On Nov 11, 2018
One of the reasons I stopped going to church a long time ago. I better use my Sunday rest in anticipation for Monday.

Useless gathering.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by udemzyudex(m): 4:29pm On Nov 11, 2018
People still dey mumu sha, I never advise myself finish na your basist I wan advice.

Well, if he no fit use him head make he dey mumu dey go.

2 Likes

Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by jesmond3945: 4:31pm On Nov 11, 2018
Nigerian churches don't care about you but only your money. How many would come to your aid when in need? Thats why if you want to serve God, do it in a humble manner and not to please your pastor because most of them dont care about you but only how much they can make. Is only in europe I see churches even going to hinderlands to help the poor.
Re: Church Bassist Needs Advice by Vorto: 4:31pm On Nov 11, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If Angels And Demons Can't Die, What Is The Point Of Their Engaging In Battle? / Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God / Except God Intervenes, Nigeria Not Better Than Sodom And Gomorrah - CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.