Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,462 members, 7,861,334 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:03 AM

Abiola, A Thief? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola, A Thief? (1153 Views)

Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Chief M.k.o Abiola: A Hero, A Legend, A True Democrat!!! / Aliyu Orders His Deputy To Leave Executive Meeting For Calling Him A Thief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abiola, A Thief? by dynomite(m): 4:07am On Apr 11, 2007
I've been listening to some old Fela songs lately, and he mentions Abiola among other names like Obasanjo as corrupt leaders. I was probably too young at the time, but was he referring to the same June 12 Abiola? And what was his basis for calling Abiola a thief? If any old timers or knowledgeable folks can throw some light on this, I'll very much appreciate it. Peace
Re: Abiola, A Thief? by Jakumo(m): 7:31am On Apr 11, 2007
Fela always had a distaste for rich Nigerians because most of them got wealthy by embezzlement.   Abiola was a wealthy man by any standard for his empire spanned shipping, publishing, telecommunications, agriculture and air transport.  Being a Nigerian, however, naturally made Abiola the target of criticism from of all those including Fela who rightly regarded wealthy Nigerians with suspicion and contempt.

The fact of the matter was, however, that Abiola was a financial genius who was top of the class in his UK university days, and then rose through the corporate ranks of ITT to ultimately become the overall head of operations for Africa and the Middle East despite deeply entrenched racism within ITT that would have positioned a glass ceiling to impede the rise of any lesser man.

Having had the great privilege of meeting and listening to Abiola on several occasions, I can only add that the man was gifted with a photographic, computer-like memory for minute detail, an astounding insight into the world of global commerce, a disarming sense of humor and a down-to-earth humility and approachability, most of which remained largely hidden from the world at large during his meteoric rise and sudden tragic end at the hands of jailers working for the sadistic Nigerian dictator, Sanni Abacha

Most responses to your question will contradict this one, and will endeavor to paint Abiola as a villain, as did Fela in his songs, but those who really knew the man's character all will agree that the June 12 1993 hijack of Abiola's presidential victory was one of the darkest chapters of Nigeria's history, in which that nation was deprived of the chance to benefit from being managed by one of the most powerful and compassionate minds to ever emerge from Africa in the last century.

May the brave soul of Moshood Kashimawo Abiola rest in peace, and forgive those who extinguished such a bright and promising beacon of hope.
Re: Abiola, A Thief? by Mamajama(m): 5:29pm On Apr 11, 2007
Jakumo stop beating around the bush, I personnel know and went to school with some of Abiola kids in Nigeria. The man was a fine and distinguished business man. The beef Fela had with Abiola was during Muritala regime, the 40 Million ITT project that never developed.
Re: Abiola, A Thief? by blkmum700: 2:32am On Apr 12, 2007
Jakumo, we dont know why you are beating about the Bush.Fela is saying the truth Abiola and Obasanjo embezzle Our Money through ITT They are both internation thief and Now is Obasanjo and Atiku Again Diverting PTDF funds to their Accounts because Atiku diverty the highest fund he called him corrupt Leader i think the he should be hang to Death.

(1) (Reply)

Pray For Kenechi Udeze / Commissioners And Area Boys What’s The Difference Legality From Illegality? / A Northerner Is Angry On Northerners Beign Called Parasites.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.