Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. (2216 Views)

Sexual Temptations And The Movie Industry / Joshua Bamiloye Mike: The Movie “Lucifer” Used By Devil To Win Souls / T. B Joshua At 55: The Story Behind His Glory Revealed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by LordReed(m): 1:53pm On Sep 08, 2019
OkCornel:

Still didn't go through. No worries. I'll find a way to get it.

Thanks so much for the assistance smiley

Which ISP are you using?
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by OkCornel(m): 1:58pm On Sep 08, 2019
LordReed:

Which ISP are you using?

Virgin Media
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by LordReed(m): 2:10pm On Sep 08, 2019
OkCornel:

Virgin Media

No wonder, they have a blocking policy for certain websites. I am sure torrent and proxy sites will be on their blacklist.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by OkCornel(m): 2:12pm On Sep 08, 2019
LordReed:

No wonder, they have a blocking policy for certain websites. I am sure torrent d proxy sites will be on their blacklist.

Oh. Never knew that. Thanks. I'll explore other alternatives.

This movie is a must to watch. I will get my hands on every material (audio, visual, written) concerning this matter.

Cheers
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Dantedasz(m): 2:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

For what it is worth, and because of the atrocious lies on this thread, I'll make a comment and leave a link here.

First the link: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Hypatia

The above gives a more authoritative account of the story. Of course, far more research will be necessary to get to what really happened in Alexandria, but I consider the link good enough to get started. Although Christianity is clearly linked with what the atrocities mentioned in the story, it is important to note that there were many sides to the degenerating conflict and that nominal Christianity is never quite the same as biblical Christianity.

Second, I have debated pretty much every atheist respondent on this thread, and I can guarantee that they have a non-existent appreciation of biblical teaching. They lie about what the Bible says and what it means, and they did the same on this thread too. Not only is the Bible not sexist, but it certainly does not teach Christians to behave as those who burned temples and murdered pagans did. Neither is even a remotely Christian thing to do, but atheism is entirely amoral, and would therefore be consistent when it murders people with opposing beliefs and philosophies as Hitler, Stalin, and Chairman Mao did. But atheists are liars, so they would pretend that what these three did has no connection with their atheism (and even pretend that Hitler was a Christian too), but what impostors pretending to be Christians do is automatically defined by them as a normal Christian response to unbelief.

Oga,
Go back and read the link you provided again this time slowly.
While I agree that the movie might have applied artistic license they is no denying the fact that Hypatia was brutally killed by a mob of christian zealots mainly because they FEARED the philosophy she taught.

1 Like

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by 0temSapien: 8:04pm On Sep 08, 2019
Chapter Four
1. When the christians and the Jews came in to me to learn astronomy and philosophy, they were skeptical of me, for the astrolabe which I wore around my neck was a great object of concern to them.
2. It is to them an object of magic and withcraft. And some of them left in anger, saying, light and darkness cannot dwell together. I took pity upon their reality. It is mentality developed upon a poor thought.
3. How can a close-minded soul learn the truth? How can they know knowledge?
4. When I say that our food which gets spoilt are not caused by demons but by some things which presently are part of the Nothing, they castigated me and said, why will you not support demons when you are a demon yourself?
5. I know that studying things which are not seen shall give more explanations to the things which are seen. But how can the unseen be studied?
6. Something must exist beyond nothing, as negative numbers exist also, being the imaginary and ideal part of numbers. But negative numbers are not nothing.
7. Even The One, which is the source of all beings, is not seen as a specific image, but as what the ancient gods have perceived it as. For they have perceived it as light and it was light to them.
8. And they perceived it as a being and it was a being to them. And they perceived it as energy and it was energy to them. And it does not have any specific shape or form, but it can be transformed from one form to another.
9. I do not equate The One with all gods in religion, for it supercedes them all. And I do not see it as a male or a female but as I want to see it and as I feel it. It is love and energy.
10. When Philothea came to Alexandria to seek after my knowledge, she went low and called me a goddess. And I said, let not the christians hear this. For they have only one earthly and physical god which is Innocentius.
11. He alone is their physical god who dictates for them how they should live their lives. I am not his wife so I do not agree to be called a goddess publicly. So Philothea, call me by name Hypatia and it is enough for me.
12. One man came to me, by name Theophilus. And he said, great mother, whom do you have in mind as God, the creator of the Universe? And I said to him, the universe is not a matter of one day job, neither is it a matter of one week or one month. But it is a continuous creation and the creators in it are you and I and everything altogether.
13. The mountains have not stopped springing forth, neither has the volcanic eruptions ceased. The erosioss are daily creating and recreating, so are we humans. For a Millennium back, there exists no place as this place Alexandria.
14. And Alexander the Great did come and his existence brings about this place in Egypt. So I view God as everything which is capable of bringing change to the universe.
15. And Theophilus said, do you equate humans with God? And I said, the sum total of the ability of every being, both terrestrial and aquatic and extraterrestrials and abstract is God. And there cannot be God when there is no idea, thoughts, physical beings and extraterrestrial beings.
16. And Theophilus said, this is an idea drawing from Paganism, and make sure you do not say this in the ears of the people of the church. And I said, which religion does not spring out from Paganism? Which deity is not first a deity of paganism before being isolated to become a deity of his own?
17. And the isolation of a god makes it seem as if he is the Almighty. But if all the gods and goddesses are brought together in one religion, you shall know that one is not superior to the other. And it shall be fitting to say that they are friends and enemies and brothers and sisters.
18. And Theophilus said, what do you say of Yahweh? Is he fit to be called God the creator of everything? And I said, the earth lays itself on top of itself. And the things which are conspicuous upon the earth now shall sooner or later go hidden.
19. And the topmost crust boasts of itself as the greatest of all until all forms of faults and fractures shall occur to cover it up.
20. So is the matter of the gods. For when they come to the topmost of the earth, they enjoy fame and reverence and omniscience. And they are called the creator of the gods who are hidden beneath.
21. And their reigns are temporal, and like the passing away of Babylon shall they go hidden. This is a fight for survival by the gods.
22. I do not believe that the gods are more than what they are in the books and in the mouths of those who tell us about them. For when the person who brings the idea of a god to us is dead and no one supports him in his philosophy after his death, his god dies with him.
23. But if he works so hard to establish his god in the minds of the people, they take his god over all god-idea and sustain it from one generation to another.
24. That is how gods are passed.
25. Now when I said this, Theophilus said, do you mean to say that the gods are not actually in existence? And I said, I did not say so Theophilus. But I view them as some beings who might have actually been in existence in the past, did some great things and were deified.
26. And when they died, those who worship them think that by writing their deeds down with exaggerations, they could be immortalized forever.
27. And if their deeds which are written down could be destroyed, then the god ceases to enjoy popularity, such that we say that such god is now dead in the minds of the people.
28. But The One who transcends all being cannot be hidden from time to time. And even when one god is ridiculed and torn to pieces by the people, it does not change the fact that there exists a first cause which is beyond the reach of human ideology.
29. And religion cannot get close to that One being but Mathematics and science of addition. For when the One adds itself to itself, there could be an expansion and two of his like could result.
30. And the One is still separate from the two of his like. And if more and more additions are done, there could arise a great triangle of numbers, yet the One remains at the top corner of that triangle. This is Mathematics interwoven with philosophy. And it is a better solution to hard puzzles and mysteries of the world rather than religion.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by 0temSapien: 8:07pm On Sep 08, 2019
Chapter FIVE
1. When Synesius came to me, saying, great woman, I admire your wisdom. Let me be one of your disciples, I said, you are welcome O Synesius. If you are willing to be my disciple, then make sure to be openminded and tolerant of me and other disciples like yourself.
2. For I have people of diverse religions as my disciples and they do not argue their beliefs in my court, rather, they argue philosophy and agree at the best. There are the Zoroastrians, the Manicheanists, the Jews, the pagans, the Confucianists, the Buddhists and the Christians like yourself, but they all comport themselves well.
3. Therefore be ready to do the same if you want to be my disciple.
4. When Synesius privately asked me what I felt about Christianity, I said, it is a religion: and as you know, all religions are tools for controlling people. But those who know how to control themselves do not have need of it.
5. I Hypatia have been without religion for twenty years. I recognize that there are many deities, but I do not bow down my head for any of them. Yet, I am disciplined and decent in my dealings with other humans like me.
6. Therefore they who are wise do not need religion to be able to control themselves, rather, they need good philosophy to do such. But they who are below the expected level of wisdom need religion to do what is right and to shun what is wrong.
7. Therefore, a nation of many wise people will be less religious than a nation of many foolish people. And the irony of it is that such nation of less religious people will do greater things and have greater inventions than the other nation of more religious people.
8. This is so because the presence of religion brings limitation to critical thoughts.
9. When Synesius heard my words, he was charged up such that he wept at the truth and bowed his head to me, saying, mother, your words are well pronounced and they are the words of a goddess.
10. Do you believe in reincarnation, O great one? For I have heard about reincarnation and I tend towards believing it these days.
11. Now I smiled and said to her, I believe in reincarnation O Synesius. I have had a revelation eight times revealing a distant past to me. I have found myself in an ancient land of the Arabians in a body which is less desirous.
12. I was an antagonist to the ideologies of the Arabians of that place and I fought a great battle against them and prevailed. . I was named Sofia in those days, meaning beauty. I have also seen myself in this kind of body, but I was a Greek in those days.
13. I was named Sophia, meaning wisdom, and I was a talker and an advocate for the females. Therefore I agree with Iamblichus, Plotinus and Porphyry in the matter of reincarnation because I have seen myself twice in the past lives.
14. When I taught my students in all the teachings of Ptolemy, they said to me, great teacher, do you agree to all the things taught by Ptolemy the great one? I said to them, I agree to many of his teachings in astronomy, but I have my reservations to some of them.
15. That the sun revolves around the earth seems to me as a wrong assertion, because I feel that natural objects should revolve around illuminating objects rather than the other way round.
16. The flies go around the candles and the lamps, for they are in need of its light. The flies go close to the radiant beauty of the petals of flowers and suck the nectars in them. In all natural cases, the things which are less illuminating revolve around the things which are more illuminating.
17. Therefore I think that the earth should be revolving around the sun and not the other way round.
18. When those who held Ptolemy, Aristotle, Anaximander and other supporter of the earth being the center of the universe in high esteem heard what I said, they said, Hypatia knows nothing. She thinks that she could apply philosophy to astronomy.
19. I said to them, philosophy is even the father of astronomy, mathematics, science, art and all manner of things. For it deals with reasoning deep and coming out with the best answer for a particular period of time.
20. Nature and philosophy are in agreement more than religion and philosophy. For philosophy allows for freedom and the use of the head to think deep and tap into natural things, whereas religion makes use of the emotions of the heart to tap into artificial creations.
21. Therefore it is not a surprise to know that philosophy gives birth to all the useful things of the world, including science, art, astronomy, mathematics and many others. But religion gives birth to war, hatred, slave trading, discrimination and all such things.
22. Therefore my advice for everyone is to go with philosophy rather than religion. For a land of many philosophers shall be made reference to by many lands, but what reference shall be made to a land of many religious enthusiasts? Such land shall only be known for corruption and religious violence.
23. So I say, if you will go any way at all, go the way of head-using, which is the way of philosophy. Then shall your land be well developed.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Ihedinobi3: 8:23pm On Sep 08, 2019
Dantedasz:

Oga,
Go back and read the link you provided again this time slowly.
While I agree that the movie might have applied artistic license they is no denying the fact that Hypatia was brutally killed by a mob of christian zealots mainly because they FEARED the philosophy she taught.
I read it carefully the first time around. But you may need to reread my own post slowly.

As for this "fact" that you consider undeniable, I beg to differ. I don't see any reason to believe that any Christian was involved in that murder at all. It is, after all, a very odd thing for a Christian to do.

1 Like

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Dantedasz(m): 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I read it carefully the first time around. But you may need to reread my own post slowly.

As for this "fact" that you consider undeniable, I beg to differ. I don't see any reason to believe that any Christian was involved in that murder at all. It is, after all, a very odd thing for a Christian to do.

You should know I am not ready to go down this route with you or any religionist for that matter. I don't do endless and meaningless arguments.
I have stated the facts. You are free to accept or choose to interpret these facts however your christian mind tells you to.
Good night. undecided

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Hakeem12(m): 11:32pm On Sep 08, 2019
0temSapien:
Chapter FIVE
1. When Synesius came to me, saying, great woman, I admire your wisdom. Let me be one of your disciples, I said, you are welcome O Synesius. If you are willing to be my disciple, then make sure to be openminded and tolerant of me and other disciples like yourself.
2. For I have people of diverse religions as my disciples and they do not argue their beliefs in my court, rather, they argue philosophy and agree at the best. There are the Zoroastrians, the Manicheanists, the Jews, the pagans, the Confucianists, the Buddhists and the Christians like yourself, but they all comport themselves well.
3. Therefore be ready to do the same if you want to be my disciple.
4. When Synesius privately asked me what I felt about Christianity, I said, it is a religion: and as you know, all religions are tools for controlling people. But those who know how to control themselves do not have need of it.
5. I Hypatia have been without religion for twenty years. I recognize that there are many deities, but I do not bow down my head for any of them. Yet, I am disciplined and decent in my dealings with other humans like me.
6. Therefore they who are wise do not need religion to be able to control themselves, rather, they need good philosophy to do such. But they who are below the expected level of wisdom need religion to do what is right and to shun what is wrong.
7. Therefore, a nation of many wise people will be less religious than a nation of many foolish people. And the irony of it is that such nation of less religious people will do greater things and have greater inventions than the other nation of more religious people.
8. This is so because the presence of religion brings limitation to critical thoughts.
9. When Synesius heard my words, he was charged up such that he wept at the truth and bowed his head to me, saying, mother, your words are well pronounced and they are the words of a goddess.
10. Do you believe in reincarnation, O great one? For I have heard about reincarnation and I tend towards believing it these days.
11. Now I smiled and said to her, I believe in reincarnation O Synesius. I have had a revelation eight times revealing a distant past to me. I have found myself in an ancient land of the Arabians in a body which is less desirous.
12. I was an antagonist to the ideologies of the Arabians of that place and I fought a great battle against them and prevailed. . I was named Sofia in those days, meaning beauty. I have also seen myself in this kind of body, but I was a Greek in those days.
13. I was named Sophia, meaning wisdom, and I was a talker and an advocate for the females. Therefore I agree with Iamblichus, Plotinus and Porphyry in the matter of reincarnation because I have seen myself twice in the past lives.
14. When I taught my students in all the teachings of Ptolemy, they said to me, great teacher, do you agree to all the things taught by Ptolemy the great one? I said to them, I agree to many of his teachings in astronomy, but I have my reservations to some of them.
15. That the sun revolves around the earth seems to me as a wrong assertion, because I feel that natural objects should revolve around illuminating objects rather than the other way round.
16. The flies go around the candles and the lamps, for they are in need of its light. The flies go close to the radiant beauty of the petals of flowers and suck the nectars in them. In all natural cases, the things which are less illuminating revolve around the things which are more illuminating.
17. Therefore I think that the earth should be revolving around the sun and not the other way round.
18. When those who held Ptolemy, Aristotle, Anaximander and other supporter of the earth being the center of the universe in high esteem heard what I said, they said, Hypatia knows nothing. She thinks that she could apply philosophy to astronomy.
19. I said to them, philosophy is even the father of astronomy, mathematics, science, art and all manner of things. For it deals with reasoning deep and coming out with the best answer for a particular period of time.
20. Nature and philosophy are in agreement more than religion and philosophy. For philosophy allows for freedom and the use of the head to think deep and tap into natural things, whereas religion makes use of the emotions of the heart to tap into artificial creations.
21. Therefore it is not a surprise to know that philosophy gives birth to all the useful things of the world, including science, art, astronomy, mathematics and many others. But religion gives birth to war, hatred, slave trading, discrimination and all such things.
22. Therefore my advice for everyone is to go with philosophy rather than religion. For a land of many philosophers shall be made reference to by many lands, but what reference shall be made to a land of many religious enthusiasts? Such land shall only be known for corruption and religious violence.
23. So I say, if you will go any way at all, go the way of head-using, which is the way of philosophy. Then shall your land be well developed.
Are all these from a specific book?
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by 0temSapien: 5:51am On Sep 09, 2019
Hakeem12:
Are all these from a specific book?
Yes, from the Book of Universal History.
https://www.nairaland.com/2938907/doctrine-ufos
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Hakeem12(m): 7:14am On Sep 09, 2019
0temSapien:

Yes, from the Book of Universal History.
https://www.nairaland.com/2938907/doctrine-ufos
Alright, thanks
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Ihedinobi3: 6:29pm On Sep 09, 2019
Dantedasz:

You should know I am not ready to go down this route with you or any religionist for that matter. I don't do endless and meaningless arguments.
I have stated the facts. You are free to accept or choose to interpret these facts however your christian mind tells you to.
Good night. undecided
I completely agree that debate with many of you is generally endless and meaningless, and that each person is free to interpret things as they please. But, no, you have not stated any fact at all. Like most atheists, you have lied.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 10, 2019
Dantedasz:

I have said it before: Most female Christians don't know their Bible. The few female Christians that know the Bible choose to bury their heads in the sand like ostriches because they are probably afraid of eternal hell fire. The Bible is a sexist book written by primitive men to keep women permanently subjugated. The Christians can argue all they want but it doesn't take away the fact that the Bible is a sexist book.
No Christian woman should preach or speak in any gathering of the lowest men. It is there in the Bible and in the past as the film depicts,a woman preacher or teacher in a community of men could loose her life.
I still recommend the film to any one who can watch it.
Cheers.
Dear budaatum,I humbly seek your opinion on this. You have claimed to be a Christian,and believer of God or Jesus or both. And also,you are a feminist. The two are like a mixture of oil and water. How do you practice Christianity and feminism? Kind regards!

1 Like

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 10, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

For what it is worth, and because of the atrocious lies on this thread, I'll make a comment and leave a link here.

First the link: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Hypatia

The above gives a more authoritative account of the story. Of course, far more research will be necessary to get to what really happened in Alexandria, but I consider the link good enough to get started. Although Christianity is clearly linked with what the atrocities mentioned in the story, it is important to note that there were many sides to the degenerating conflict and that nominal Christianity is never quite the same as biblical Christianity.

Second, I have debated pretty much every atheist respondent on this thread, and I can guarantee that they have a non-existent appreciation of biblical teaching. They lie about what the Bible says and what it means, and they did the same on this thread too. Not only is the Bible not sexist, but it certainly does not teach Christians to behave as those who burned temples and murdered pagans did. Neither is even a remotely Christian thing to do, but atheism is entirely amoral, and would therefore be consistent when it murders people with opposing beliefs and philosophies as Hitler, Stalin, and Chairman Mao did. But atheists are liars, so they would pretend that what these three did has no connection with their atheism (and even pretend that Hitler was a Christian too), but what impostors pretending to be Christians do is automatically defined by them as a normal Christian response to unbelief.
Just look at you? Even in the face of glaring evidence you yet lie and accuse atheist of lying. You can't own up to the shameful acts by your Christian brethens. You say the Bible is against killing yet God ordered David to slaughter even babies...
This makes it crystal clear that you aren't only a liar but a coward for this post...
Shame though,shame

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 10, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I completely agree that debate with many of you is generally endless and meaningless, and that each person is free to interpret things as they please. But, no, you have not stated any fact at all. Like most atheists, you have lied.
even Wikipedia has lied? SMH
Ihedinobi, you are a liar

1 Like

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Ihedinobi3: 6:04pm On Sep 10, 2019
Michellekabod2:

Just look at you? Even in the face of glaring evidence you yet lie and accuse atheist of lying. You can't own up to the shameful acts by your Christian brethens. You say the Bible is against killing yet God ordered David to slaughter even babies...
This makes it crystal clear that you aren't only a liar but a coward for this post...
Shame though,shame
Hello there.

I don't believe that I said anywhere that the Bible is against killing. I have looked at my posts on this thread, and what I find is the word "murder" and its variants. I doubt very much that any believer in Jesus Christ would ever go so far as murder. We all stumble, we all sin, but murder is a very hard sin to commit, even for an unbeliever. One has to overcome very much constraint in one's internal moral environment in order to commit murder. For this reason, I find it quite hard to believe that any believer would commit it.

As for owning up to anything, the Britannica article pointed something critical out, namely, that this was a multi-sided conflict involving, among others, both orthodox Christians and heretics. Heretics are people who pretend to be Christians but who reject correct biblical teaching. Nairaland is awash with such people, for example. These heretics have always been part of the church visible. They carry the label, Christian, but act in no way like what the Bible teaches Christians to believe and do. Such people can be expected to carry their zealotry to extremes and even murder unbelievers. For example, right here on Nairaland, someone whom you may know rejects the authority of the Bible and currently teaches that the Bible does not command us to love everyone. This is an obvious lie, but because this person claims to be a Christian and quotes the Bible at every turn, if he takes this teaching to its logical conclusion and begins to persecute and murder atheists, you would probably claim that a Christian did all that. That would be false. It would be the exact same thing as accusing Nigeria and Nigerians of terrorism because Boko Haram is in Nigeria.

We can't help how people describe themselves. I can't stop anyone from calling themselves a Christian, if they want to do so. Nor can I stop other people from identifying them as such. But I am under no obligation to accept such descriptions or identification, if it violates the truth and common sense.

As I said, Britannica made it clear that there were imposters in the mix. I don't deny that true Christians may have been caught up in that mess, but I do not agree that they were necessarily involved in any murder at all. Heretics may have been, but not orthodox Christians who actually believe the Bible.

As for what God ordered David, I don't remember this part of the Bible that you refer to, but I do know that the Cannanites, especially the Amalekites were to be exterminated by the Israelites, but not quite in the way that most people in our modern times think of extermination. The idea was to end the nations as distinct, cohesive units. Some Amalekites survived and even lived in Isreal. Rahab of Jericho was married into Israel. And so on. Israel was meant to be God's Instrument of Judgment against those nations, just like Assyria and Babylon were later to be against Israel and Judah, in their turn. God does not condemn killing as a matter of justice or war. He only condemns murder. Whenever He commanded total annihilation including even children, He did so in the wisdom of creation's Sovereign. Not only is He the Giver of Life, and thus within His Rights to take life from anyone He created as He pleases, but He is also the One Who knows everything and Whose Plan for Creation is perfect, so that whenever He takes life, it is for good reason, even if we don't know what the reason is.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Ihedinobi3: 6:07pm On Sep 10, 2019
Michellekabod2:
even Wikipedia has lied? SMH
Ihedinobi, you are a liar
As for this, I only said that he, Dantedasz, lied. I said nothing about Wikipedia. Of course, that does not mean that I hold Wikipedia to be entirely incapable of misrepresenting facts, I don't. I know enough instances of Wikipedia's failures to not be so naïve, but I was offering no opinions about the resource at all.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 10, 2019

Hello there.

I don't believe that I said anywhere that the Bible is against killing. I have looked at my posts on this thread, and what I find is the word "murder" and its variants. I doubt very much that any believer in Jesus Christ would ever go so far as murder. We all stumble, we all sin, but murder is a very hard sin to commit, even for an unbeliever. One has to overcome very much constraint in one's internal moral environment in order to commit murder. For this reason, I find it quite hard to believe that any believer would commit it.
you call atheists dishonest wheras you live by dishonesty. Infact dishonesty should be your name. How can you tell me you don't believe Christian's can commit murder despite the news you watch on daily basis... Christians are involved in much abberations that I fear them.

As for owning up to anything, the Britannica article pointed something critical out, namely, that this was a multi-sided conflict involving among others both orthodox Christians and heretics. Heretics are people who pretend to be Christians but who reject correct biblical teaching. Nairaland is awash with such people, for example. These heretics have always been part of the church visible. They carry the label, Christian, but act in no way like what the Bible teaches Christians to act. Such people can be expected to carry their zealotry to extremes and even murder unbelievers. For example, right here on Nairaland, someone whom you may know rejects the authority of the Bible and currently teaches that the Bible does not command us to love everyone. This is an obvious lie, but because this person claims to be a Christian and quotes the Bible at every turn, if he takes this teaching to its logical conclusion and begins to persecute and murder atheists, you would probably claim that a Christian did all that. That would be false. It would be the exact same thing as accusing Nigeria and Nigerians of terrorism because Boko Haram is in Nigeria.
a Christian is generally defined as a believer of Jesus/God or both. You Christian's use "that is not a true Christian" to cover up when a Christian is caught red handed doing something wrong. If a Christian is doing something Noble like alms giving you will not come out to say "this is not a true Christian because he doesn't uphold so and so teaching of the Bible"

We can't help how people describe themselves. I can't stop anyone from calling themselves a Christian, if they want to do so. Nor can I stop other people from identifying them as such. But I am under no obligation to accept such descriptions or identification, if it violates the truth and common sense.

As I said, Britannica made it clear that there were imposters in the mix. I don't deny that true Christians may have been caught up in that mess, but I do not agree that they were necessarily involved in any murder at all. Heretics may have been, but not orthodox Christians who actually believe the Bible.
No one cares about what you believe here! This ain't a matter of assumptions or beliefs. You can't call something a lie when there is no evidence yet because you "doubt" it.

As for what God ordered David, I don't remember this part of the Bible that you refer to, but I do know that the Cannanites, especially the Amalekites were to be exterminated by the Israelites, but not quite in the way that most people in our modern times think of extermination. The idea was to end the nations as a distinct, cohesive unit. Some Amalekites survived and even lived in Isreal. Rahab of Jericho was married into Israel. And so on. Israel was meant to be God's Instrument of Judgment against those nations, just like Assyria and Babylon were later to be against Israel and Judah, in their turn. God does not condemn killing as a matter of justice or war. He only condemns murder. Whenever He commanded total annihilation including even children, He did so in the wisdom of creation's Sovereign. Not only is He the Giver of Life, and thus within His Rights to take life from anyone He created as He pleases, but He is also the One Who knows everything and Whose Plan for Creation is perfect, so that whenever He takes life, it is for good reason, even if we don't know what the reason is.
then don't blame people that kill because their God or gods other them to. Don't cry foul over a jihad wiping out all non Muslims, Allah is the giver of life and he has the right to take it when it pleases Him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Ihedinobi3: 6:52pm On Sep 10, 2019
Michellekabod2:
you call atheists dishonest wheras you live by dishonesty. Infact dishonesty should be your name. How can you tell me you don't believe Christian's can commit murder despite the news you watch on daily basis... Christians are involved in much abberations that I fear them.
a Christian is generally defined as a believer of Jesus/God or both. You Christian's use "that is not a true Christian" to cover up when a Christian is caught red handed doing something wrong. If a Christian is doing something Noble like alms giving you will not come out to say "this is not a true Christian because he doesn't uphold so and so teaching of the Bible"

No one cares about what you believe here! This ain't a matter of assumptions or beliefs. You can't call something a lie when there is no evidence yet because you "doubt" it.
then don't blame people that kill because their God or gods other them to. Don't cry foul over a jihad wiping out all non Muslims, Allah is the giver of life and he has the right to take it when it pleases Him
I'm afraid I don't know what news you mean.

As for the definition of a Christian, you are quite right, I think. A Christian is anyone who believes that Jesus Christ is God Who became Man to die for our sins and Who also rose from the dead for our justification. That is the authoritative definition.

There are no perfect Christians this side of life, so I am not arguing that Christians can never do anything wrong. In fact, I consider it theoretically possible, if I could put it that way, that a Christian could commit murder. But in practice, the nature of murder is such that I doubt very much that anyone who is a Christian as defined above could do it. Murder is a very difficult sin to commit. Even killing in self-defense and in defense of one's family or other charges, for example, as a soldier, is very hard indeed for most human beings. So, it is not something that I would just accept on trust that a Christian would do. If anyone accuses a Christian of murder, I would want to talk to the Christian myself before believing it.

As for alms-giving, it's one of the common misconceptions of Christianity. I, for one, am suspicious of ostentatious giving. Christians are taught in the Bible to give without fanfare, so while I would not dispute that an alms-giver is necessarily a Christian, I certainly would not celebrate them or hold them up as great examples to follow. So, there again, you are quite wrong both about me and about Christianity.

As for not caring what I believe, that is fine by me. But I did not call anyone a liar merely because I believed or didn't believe something. I called them a liar because they made an untrue claim. They claimed that Christians did a lot of things that are highly suspicious. In fact, as you find in Britannica, there were multiple sides to the story, and orthodox Christians were only one side. Heretics were another side. If they were, then this author took the liberty of mixing the two up in order to tar orthodox Christians with the same brush as the heretics. It is not something strange for atheists to do. Your kind has been accusing Christians of all kinds of atrocities for ages now. When we try to explain that people are not Christians merely because they claim that they are, you, of course, couldn't care less. If you did care, what then would you have to accuse Christians of?

That is why I said that the atheists on this thread are all lying. They are deliberately ignoring the fact that there are many imposters among Christians who do things that a Christian could never do.

I don't know where you've seen me crying foul about a jihad. But even if I did, I would be right to do so since Allah is not the true God. He has no right over human life, so he should not command to have life taken by anyone, since he cannot give it back at will.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by budaatum: 8:43pm On Sep 10, 2019
Michellekabod2:

Dear budaatum,I humbly seek your opinion on this. You have claimed to be a Christian,and believer of God or Jesus or both. And also,you are a feminist. The two are like a mixture of oil and water. How do you practice Christianity and feminism? Kind regards!
I have not, to the best of my knowledge, claimed to be or practise Christianity, and I definitely do not believe, but even if I did, I not see how "the two are like a mixture of oil and water". Christianity teaches "love your neighbours and your enemies even more", and nowhere asks you to love according to gender, religion, race, age, beliefs, etc. In fact, the more one inclines to enemise, the more burden placed on one to love.

See this thread where Martinez39 insisted, for a while, that I could not be a Muslim Feminist.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2019
budaatum:

I have not, to the best of my knowledge, claimed to be or practise Christianity, and I definitely do not believe, but even if I did, I not see how "the two are like a mixture of oil and water". Christianity teaches "love your neighbours and your enemies even more", and nowhere asks you to love according to gender, religion, race, age, beliefs, etc. In fact, the more one inclines to enemise, the more burden placed on one to love.

See this thread where Martinez39 insisted, for a while, that I could not be a Muslim Feminist.
How does patriarchy implies not to love your female neighbors? The same Bible that says love your neighbor also said a woman should not speak in church...don't quote a part of the book only.
Re: Agora The Movie And The Story Of Hypatia. by budaatum: 10:03pm On Sep 10, 2019
Michellekabod2:

How does patriarchy implies not to love your female neighbors? The same Bible that says love your neighbor also said a woman should not speak in church...don't quote a part of the book only.
Hello Michelle. I believe this is the first you and I would engage in conversation. You are welcome.

First. To do with your "same Bible that says". I got five in my living room and none of them have ever said anything to me. So, unless your Bible says to you, shall we imply you mean, "it is written in the Bible and you have read it there"? I cringe at the anthropomorphization of a book. Next is its deification!

One reads in the Bible that one should not steal too but people still do. Eve, even, we read, disobeyed God and ate the Fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, so what's your point? Can't one disobey the bits one disagrees with in a book?

And why is your own understanding of an almost 2000 year old text written for its time, today, "woman should not speak in church"? Can you not evolve?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Come No Pastor Is Healing Corona Virus Patients??? / 7 Human Species That Existed On Earth Before Us / This Is The Real History Of How The Quran Was Compiled - Must See!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.