Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Armistice Commemorations, 100 Years Since The End Of World War One - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Armistice Commemorations, 100 Years Since The End Of World War One (207 Views)

Video: Tension As 100 Years Old Mysterious Tree Resurrected In Oyo / Today Makes It 17 Years Since The Bomb Blasts At The Ikeja Cantonment / 100 Years Since His Birth, South Africa Pays Tribute To Mandela (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Armistice Commemorations, 100 Years Since The End Of World War One by jenzberyl: 1:24pm On Nov 11, 2018
Today marks 100 years since the end of World War I, with commemorations taking place around the world.

One hundred years ago today, at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the First World War, which killed 40 million people, finally stopped.

Armistice Day is commemorated every year on 11 November to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o’clock in the morning — the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” of 1918.

Today is Sunday, 11th day of November which is the 11th month of the year 2018. Which makes it is a perfect day to be remembered as Armistice day and the first World War centenary.

This is great history, and am so glad to see a day as this! Let’s take a look at the armistice.

The armistice initially expired after a period of 36 days. A formal peace agreement was only reached when the Treaty of Versailles was signed the following year.

Read more on /2PofksM

(1) (Reply)

Hello Music And Comedy Lovers / Nine Perfect Strangers Book Free | Best Books 2019 / 2019: I’ll Reward Hardwork, Loyalty This Time — Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.