Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials (1739 Views)

One Of My Sons Looks Exactly Like My Late Father / Yoruba Couple & 4 Sons Celebrate 10th Wedding Anniversary In Matching Outfits / Meet Laye Ajube And Her 8 Sons And 2 Daughters (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by johnmba: 3:47pm On Nov 18, 2018
My people i need advice on the subject.

My son is 6yrs old ,very brilliant and intelligent. The teachers commend him alot and he is one of the best students in his school.

He loves mathematics, infact thats his favourite subject. When i see him play some games, i marvel at how he plays it sometimes wihout paying attention to the game.

How do i harness the potentials this boy has? I dont want it to waste. What can i do at this early stage to keep him on track.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Stalemate(m): 3:58pm On Nov 18, 2018
Just let him continue in the gaming. I mean sophisticated games. It builds IQ.
I'll advise you expose him to technology too. This was the way my parent brought me and my siblings up except for the part of technology that I personally didn't have interest in. Today, I'm struggling to catch up with my mates in terms of handling sophisticated softwares that my peers do with ease.

#GOODLUCK.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 18, 2018
Don't pamper him woth faces else, he'd lose focus. Try and get him more of quantitative and verbal reasoning books. Ask him to make discovery channels his favourite tv channels at his leisure, with more focus on his studies

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by johnmba: 5:57pm On Nov 18, 2018
Thank you awelekiti and stalement.

Lalasticlala your input pls
Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Evangkatsoulis: 7:41pm On Nov 18, 2018
johnmba:

My son is 6yrs old ,very brilliant and intelligent. The teachers commend him alot and he is one of the best students in his school.

He loves mathematics, infact thats his favourite subject. When i see him play some games, i marvel at how he plays it sometimes wihout paying attention to the game.

How do i harness the potentials this boy has? I dont want it to waste. What can i do at this early stage to keep him on track.

He is one of the best(not even the best) in a school of probably less than 1000 pupils in a country with average IQ of 70.
Nah, there is nothing you do.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by johnmba: 8:17pm On Nov 18, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

He is one of the best(not even the best) is a school of probably less than 1000 pupils in a country with average of 70.

I hear you.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Eberechi24(f): 8:25pm On Nov 18, 2018
Register him for computer lessons/education during vacation.
Since he's good with numbers,Coding won't be a bad idea.

Did you see the youngest IT personnel in Google? His potential was harness earlier.

It won't be easy. He may find them confusing but with time he will pickup.
johnmba

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Chubhie: 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2018
At every stage, Avail him the very possible best teachers to string him while you provide the emotional stability and balanced diet as fuel for his brains.

You own today's Nigeria a duty to raise a game changer.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by johnmba: 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2018
Eberechi24:
Register him for computer lessons/education during vacation.
Since he's good with numbers,Coding won't be a bad idea.

Did you see the youngest IT personnel in Google? His potential was harness earlier.

It won't be easy. He may find them confusing but with time he will pickup.
johnmba

Thanks dear..i appreciate.
Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by frozen70(f): 10:09pm On Nov 18, 2018
johnmba:

Thats a good discovery

Get a teacher and engage him into lessons every Saturday

Contant practice keeps him going

1 Like

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by johnmba: 8:31am On Nov 19, 2018
frozen70:

Thats a good discovery

Get a teacher and engage him into lessons every Saturday

Contant practice keeps him going

thank you

Stalemate:
Just let him continue in the gaming. I mean sophisticated games. It builds IQ.
I'll advise you expose him to technology too. This was the way my parent brought me and my siblings up except for the part of technology that I personally didn't have interest in. Today, I'm struggling to catch up with my mates in terms of handling sophisticated softwares that my peers do with ease.

#GOODLUCK.

do you know of any technology for that age
Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Ranchhoddas: 10:18pm On Nov 19, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

He is one of the best(not even the best) in a school of probably less than 1000 pupils in a country with average IQ of 70.
Na you give us average lQ of 70 abi. Just dey yarn nonsense!

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by WINNERMENTALITY: 8:47am On Nov 20, 2018
The best thing u can do for him now is.. As he is good in maths, sorround him with more maths tutors and if he wants to be a programmer. Get him tutors to start learning programming at this early stage.

He need models, introduce him to good models and never feel so relaxed. Get him to work for himself at this early stage and make sure he becomes a study maniac.

Monitors who he keeps as friend's, if they are not like him cut it off

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by johnmba: 11:50am On Nov 20, 2018
WINNERMENTALITY:
The best thing u can do for him now is.. As he is good in maths, sorround him with more maths tutors and if he wants to be a programmer. Get him tutors to start learning programming at this early stage.

He need models, introduce him to good models and never feel so relaxed. Get him to work for himself at this early stage and make sure he becomes a study maniac.

Monitors who he keeps as friends, if they are not like him cut it off

Thanks
Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Evangkatsoulis: 3:40pm On Nov 24, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
Na you give us average lQ of 70 abi. Just dey yarn nonsense!

Wetin you think say come b our average IQ? 200
Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by positivedaveyy(m): 4:15pm On Nov 24, 2018
Good day all,
I'm a graduate of Biochemistry from UNIBEN with 2.2, and I've since completed my NYSC. I have 4 years working experience in diffrent fields ranging from Customer Service, Ticketing and Reservation, Supervisory levels, Office & Administration, Marketting, Computer Operations, and Teaching.
Diligence and commitment to duties are my watchwords. I'm also open minded and excited about learning new things and handling new opportunities.
I'm proficient in the use of Ms Office tools and packages as well as Social media flexibility.
I've worked as a Data entry Personnel at EXP Marketing Nigeria and it greatly improved my data entry skills.
I would appreciate if anyone can help or recommend me to someone as I'm presently jobless.
Please, be my connection and God bless your good hearts.
Location - Lagos, Abuja, South-South & South-East
Contacts - 09038561889 & 08025341558
ighagbonosayande@outlook.com
Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by LotusFan: 7:16pm On Nov 24, 2018
Invest in some videos on Udemy to keep him engaged and most importantly I would advise you introduce him to coding as soon as possible.

If he starts learning programming now, by the time he is a teenager he will shock you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Xisnin(m): 8:51pm On Nov 24, 2018
johnmba:

Let your 6-year old enjoy his childhood.
Parents forcing kids to stroke their own ego usually don't end well.
Let him develop and choose what he loves to do at his own time.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Chommieblaq(f): 8:53pm On Nov 24, 2018
All these advices are good, however also let him enjoy his childhood, don't over do things please

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by Chommieblaq(f): 8:56pm On Nov 24, 2018
Xisnin:

Let your 6-year old enjoy his childhood.
Parents forcing kids to stroke their own ego usually don't end well.
Let him develop and choose what he loves to do at his own time.

Thanks so much for this

Don't turn your child to a robot, all in the quest of making him a study maniac.
Treat him same way you reeat your other kids, let him develop and choose his path
Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by momokiddies: 9:05pm On Nov 24, 2018
it is a good thing that you have discover that your child is smart.
but then what is your definition of smartness? in what is he smart ? video games? while most kids play that well alright.
what IQ test did he take that make you think he is smart ? if he does well among his peers in class does that make him smart ? nay you are just comparing.
there are so many things parents can do to make their children smart even from early age. such as:
1. reading to them and modelling the habit of reading into them. there are many things reading does for a child
2. encourage your kids to learn a foreign language. Chinese, French or Spanish
3. make them get friendly with numbers
4. what are they watching and listening to ? wrestling or music channels were sex, drugs and money are the theme? reduce TV time to say 2 hours during week days and a little bit more on weekends. and yes there are educating channels such as discovery family
5. encourage them to ask questions. even when such questions shouldn't come from their age range, and answer truthfully.
6. let them draw, paint, write and learn to play at least one musical instruments .
7 . you can encourage them to prepare for and take external exams. private schools these days teach pupils only to pass exam and not to internalized learning .
encourage hands on task. avoid abstract teaching. let them work with what they are been taught. take for instance you can encourage them to plant seeds in cans and write their observation or keep pet for observations
8. let them play with educational games, such as Lego, puzzles, building, decoding and coding , quiz etc
9. encourage him to learn at least 3-5 words in a week their meanings and their usages .
in all, look for his interest and find him a successful adult in that area to mentor him
teach him to be polite, respective and actively involved with things that concern people.
lastly, build in him an entrepreneurial spirit. teach him that people work to solve problems and only problem solvers make money.
and yes! a time might come and it will look like he isn't looking smart as he used to, do not talk him down, instead help him grow. he's just a kid.
please do not set unrealistic milestones for your kid. slow down he's just a kid

1 Like

Re: How Do I Enhance My Sons Potentials by johnmba: 11:49am On Nov 26, 2018
momokiddies:
it is a good thing that you have discover that your child is smart.
but then what is your definition of smartness? in what is he smart ? video games? while most kids play that well alright.
what IQ test did he take that make you think he is smart ? if he does well among his peers in class does that make him smart ? nay you are just comparing.
there are so many things parents can do to make their children smart even from early age. such as:
1. reading to them and modelling the habit of reading into them. there are many things reading does for a child
2. encourage your kids to learn a foreign language. Chinese, French or Spanish
3. make them get friendly with numbers
4. what are they watching and listening to ? wrestling or music channels were sex, drugs and money are the theme? reduce TV time to say 2 hours during week days and a little bit more on weekends. and yes there are educating channels such as discovery family
5. encourage them to ask questions. even when such questions shouldn't come from their age range, and answer truthfully.
6. let them draw, paint, write and learn to play at least one musical instruments .
7 . you can encourage them to prepare for and take external exams. private schools these days teach pupils only to pass exam and not to internalized learning .
encourage hands on task. avoid abstract teaching. let them work with what they are been taught. take for instance you can encourage them to plant seeds in cans and write their observation or keep pet for observations
8. let them play with educational games, such as Lego, puzzles, building, decoding and coding , quiz etc
9. encourage him to learn at least 3-5 words in a week their meanings and their usages .
in all, look for his interest and find him a successful adult in that area to mentor him
teach him to be polite, respective and actively involved with things that concern people.
lastly, build in him an entrepreneurial spirit. teach him that people work to solve problems and only problem solvers make money.
and yes! a time might come and it will look like he isn't looking smart as he used to, do not talk him down, instead help him grow. he's just a kid.
please do not set unrealistic milestones for your kid. slow down he's just a kid

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Complete House Clearance Sales / How Much Do You Spend On Electricity Bill Monthly / Am I Under Spiritual Seige With My Gf?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.