Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,057 members, 7,953,195 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:10 PM

Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? (1879 Views)

The Rate Nigerian Boys Are Moving With White Women In Town Is Alarming / 17-year-old Boy Runs Away From Home After Impregnating His Two Younger Sisters / Nigerian Boys Killed In The UK In The First Quarter Of 2018, Mainly In London! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Ilamina(f): 5:24am On Nov 19, 2018
My brother used to hit all of us when we are rude and we used to try and fight back. .

But his a guy, he has more strength
So he usually wins

It's sad, pray I will get over such traumatic event s
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 19, 2018
sorry

2 Likes

Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by HungerMustGo: 5:42am On Nov 19, 2018
Happens but totally wrong. Any man that does this growing up will definitely hit his wife when married. This is a true test.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Dollypizzle13(f): 9:13am On Nov 19, 2018
It's not common.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by eyinjuege: 10:50am On Nov 19, 2018
How old are you OP?
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by thorpido(m): 10:56am On Nov 19, 2018
It's your family,Op.Happens in some others too but it's not a norm.
What's your parents' position about this?
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by ImaIma1(f): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2018
I still saw one that happened recently. The brother hit his younger sister who is married with three kids. Infact her first child is 12. I felt so sad and disappointed.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by NoToPile: 1:31pm On Nov 19, 2018
ImaIma1:
I still saw one that happened recently. The brother hit his younger sister who is married with three kids. Infact her first child is 12. I felt so sad and disappointed.

Hit a married woman? How come? What kind of nonsense is that

I thought the 'hit' the OP talked about is when an elder spanks a younger one for wrong doing not to beat someone up.

Though I generally dont fancy boys spanking their younger sisters.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by ImaIma1(f): 2:16pm On Nov 19, 2018
NoToPile:

I thought the 'hit' the OP talked about is when an elder spanks a younger one for wrong doing not to beat someone up.

He said she disrespected him and he didn't beat her up perse but he hit her... married woman with kids. If her husband hits her, can her brother have the mouth to condemn the act?
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Ilamina(f): 2:42pm On Nov 19, 2018
NoToPile:

thorpido:
It's your family,Op.Happens in some others too but it's not a norm.
What's your parents' position about this?

I meant he used to beat us and not hit, when we are disrespectful
But he beat me more often compared to my younger sister

My mother never used to do anything
Because she preferred my elder brother to me

Instead she will be advising me, I should be more respectful, that boys like respect

That I am even lucky sef, that her elder brother chased her around the house with a knife when they were teenagers out of anger

Don't know why my brother was so violent, maybe because my father used too beat my brother almost everyday growing up in primary school or my parents never gave him the chance for him to be gentle enough

I want to know if it's common because my mother experienced it, my classmate in secondary school told me her elder brother, who is 8 years older than her, once slapped her on her face

1 Like

Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Ilamina(f): 2:50pm On Nov 19, 2018
eyinjuege:
How old are you OP?

Why do you wanna know
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by thorpido(m): 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2018
Ilamina:

I meant he used to beat us and not hit, when we are disrespectful
But he beat me more often compared to my younger sister

My mother never used to do anything
Because she preferred my elder brother to me

Instead she will be advising me, I should be more respectful, that boys like respect

That I am even lucky sef, that her elder brother chased her around the house with a knife when they were teenagers out of anger

Don't know why my brother was so violent, maybe because my father used too beat my brother almost everyday growing up in primary school or my parents never gave him the chance for him to be gentle enough

I want to know if it's common because my mother experienced it, my classmate in secondary school told me her elder brother, who is 8 years older than her, once slapped her on her face
Your mom grew up in an environment of violence and unfortunately,she sees it as a norm and encourages it.
It's a shame.Your brother is a dry fish to bend now.Do not let your son( when you have one) grow up that way.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by NoToPile: 5:02pm On Nov 19, 2018
ImaIma1:

He said she disrespected him and he didn't beat her up perse but he hit her... married woman with kids. If her husband hits her, can her brother have the mouth to condemn the act?

So lets say he slapped her, why would an adult want to do that, elder or no elder they are both adults naa. No he cant say anything

Its amidst children/teenagers all these slap,pinch,etc are common one will claim seniority and try to bully the other and parents are the ones that caution this. A lot of times children have had their own quarells that are always settled by the parents.

@Ilamina that knife wielding stuff is a no no for me, pure violence, there would be quarells yes but it should never lead to one threatening the other with a knife.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Ilamina(f): 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2018
thorpido:
Your mom grew up in an environment of violence and unfortunately,she sees it as a norm and encourages it.
It's a shame.Your brother is a dry fish to bend now.Do not let your son( when you have one) grow up that way.

It also happened to my friend
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by chloride6: 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2018
Depends on the age
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Akposb(m): 10:04am On Nov 20, 2018
It is not good. I can't remember the last time I did such to my younger sister.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by sirfarouk(m): 10:37am On Nov 20, 2018
Ilamina:

My brother used to hit all of us when we are rude and we used to try and fight back. .

So he usually wins

I honestly can't remember the last time I hit my younger sister. You don't earn respect by a rod, you only command fear and resentment. Remember that look your mother gives you when you are about to commit? That's my trick.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by lilmax(m): 1:08pm On Nov 20, 2018
Ilamina:

Why do you wanna know
Nigerian teenage girls anthem grin
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Franklyine: 4:05pm On Nov 20, 2018
Ilamina:

So he usually wins

You said it all, when you Are Rude. He is trying to correct you. Try not to be rude and the hitting will stop.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by havilla(f): 4:33pm On Nov 20, 2018
Franklyine:

You said it all, when you Are Rude. He is trying to correct you. Try not to be rude and the hitting will stop.
so anytime someone does something wrong the best thing to do is to beat that person? Am sure he never tries that with people outside the house. He is not correcting them he is just protecting his ego and lacks self control, am sure if she were rude to outsiders he wouldn’t care.

In a home violence should never be encouraged, especially not a boy beating a girl, I wonder why parents would allow such.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Franklyine: 6:52pm On Nov 20, 2018
havilla:
so anytime someone does something wrong the best thing to do is to beat that person? Am sure he never tries that with people outside the house. He is not correcting them he is just protecting his ego and lacks self control, am sure if she were rude to outsiders he wouldn’t care.

In a home violence should never be encouraged, especially not a boy beating a girl, I wonder why parents would allow such.
Watch and see how this same brother will brutalize any human being that touches her outside. But she should learn to respect her siblings not just her elder brother. She has grown to the extent she realized she has been rude.
Believe me same way people here in Nairaland responds to things are same way they respond in their daily activities.
Yesterday I met a 17 year old boy insulting his mom, I asked him to stop but he refused, I saw a broom laying around, I picked up the broom and hit him very well from behind. His mom said that's how he insults her.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by havilla(f): 7:25pm On Nov 20, 2018
Franklyine:

Watch and see how this same brother will brutalize any human being that touches her outside. But she should learn to respect her siblings not just her elder brother. She has grown to the extent she realized she has been rude.
Believe me same way people here in Nairaland responds to things are same way they respond in their daily activities.
Yesterday I met a 17 year old boy insulting his mom, I asked him to stop but he refused, I saw a broom laying around, I picked up the broom and hit him very well from behind. His mom said that's how he insults her.
well I’ve always hated beating and violence maybe because I’ve seen a case where a parent has sustained serious injury from trying to beat their child and I wondered if it was worth it. I guess every case is different.
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Ilamina(f): 8:50pm On Nov 20, 2018
Franklyine:

What he considers rude

I don't think I am rude, I am just defending myself
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by ifyalways(f): 12:04am On Nov 21, 2018
The return of Mamagee? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Daeylar(f): 4:02am On Nov 21, 2018
HungerMustGo:
Happens but totally wrong. Any man that does this growing up will definitely hit his wife when married. This is a true test.
It's obvious, that's how they start, then they'll graduate to hitting their wives because she was rude to them,
[s]
Franklyine:

[/s]
Nope, this is bs. Does he go around hitting everyone that is rude to him?
Violence, physical abuse and toxic family relationships should never be excused nor normalized.
The brother is wrong and trash, and so is the mother.
Franklyine:

Watch and see how this same brother will brutalize any human being that touches her outside.
Still not acceptable nor is it an excuse to physically abuse his younger sister. He can only hit when hit first, not go around hitting her because she is his younger sister and she was rude to him, that's a messed up mindset.
Ilamina:

What he considers rude

I don't think I am rude, I am just defending myself
Even if you are rude, he has no right to hit you.
Nah,
People need to stop normalizing violence.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by frozen70(f): 11:55pm On Nov 21, 2018
Ilamina:

So he usually wins

It's a normal thing

He just wants to in steal discipline on the girls

But with time he will stop beating them and start using eye signals to caution them

He is just being over protective of you girls
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Ilamina(f): 1:44am On Nov 22, 2018
frozen70:

It's a normal thing

He just wants to in steal discipline on the girls

But with time he will stop beating them and start using eye signals to caution them

He is just being over protective of you girls

Hes Doing it for ego sake

We fought over things like tv channels and tv
It's not that serious
Re: Is It Common For Nigerian boys To Hit Their Younger Sisters? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 25, 2018
Its common because parents no longer train their boys again. Senior boys are supposed to protect and not the other way round. They should be dealt with.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help Me / I Thank God For My Wilderness JOURNEY EXPERIENCE So Far / Beans Is Now #1600 Per Mudu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.