Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,741 members, 7,851,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:29 PM

Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle (4255 Views)

PDP Crisis: Shekarau, Mantu, Nnamani, Others Plan New Party / 2015: Northern Govs Plan New Party To Battle Jonathan, PDP / SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Onlytruth(m): 7:13pm On Jul 26, 2010
It appears that education means an entirely different thing in Nigeria, else I cannot understand how someone who can read and write in today's world rationalize this proposed new law.

I am truly worried that illiterates have taken complete control of Nigeria, because if that is not the case, there is no way this new proposal would have left the jungle desk of the proposing police officer and even made it out of the police station. The proposing officer should be tried for conspiracy to commit extra-judicial killing.

Which policemen/women even came up with this idea, and how far have they gone at the so called national assembly?
To whom did they show this law, and what did they say?

I understand that there is freedom of speech, but a person in authority cannot exercise that carelessly or innocent people will die.

This law is nothing short of conspiracy to legalize extra-judicial killings. The Nigerian judiciary is gradually being schemed out of relevance. Soon someone will openly pronounce the courts redundant!

For those who are still living in the 12th century, this law will take you back even to earlier times, and don't be shocked if you die as a result.

The definition of "armed robber" or "kidnapper" in Nigeria is as fluid as your willingness to be robbed by the police. cool
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by tolu001: 7:25pm On Jul 26, 2010
@obalande how can u compare kidnapping with forex, are u retarded or something?
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by EmmyBoy2(m): 7:56pm On Jul 26, 2010
I honestly do not see how the National Assembly would pass a law that would permit the police "take on the spot action"/
It runs contrary to the tenets of justice and CANNOT work.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by phreakabit(m): 8:25pm On Jul 26, 2010
I just saw the the first post on this thread and i would like to point 2 things out,highlighted in blue that clearly indicates the level of insanity in the country right now.

The plan, if it sails through, will enable the police to take on-the-spot decision and action when suspected criminals are caught.

On spot action on suspects?pardon me if i am mistaken but i think the definition of suspect is:Someone regarded or deserving to be regarded with suspicion.

it just shows the level of madness in the country!
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 26, 2010
Haba! This just sounds retarded, giving power to a group of people which are already known to be corrupt and have poor ethics to make such decisions without supervision or accountabality. Whoever came up with this has an evil plan for the country.

Today today, I was in UBA PH when a MOPOL man came to drop a cheque at the counter next to me, to withdraw N24,000. You wouldnt believe that he could'nt spell "Twenty four thousand" rather he wrote "Tew four tasand" shocked. He then got angry when the lady at the counter said she could'nt cash such a cheque. In the end he begged her to fill it for him.

Previously, I had thought there was a whole police academy in Nigeria that gave basic and advanced training to prospective police officers, with more strenous excercises for MOPOL men. BUT i have been shocked back to the reality of things. How can such people be expected to use systematic and meticulous methods to maintain societal order, if the relatively simple task of filling in a check for oneself causes one to flare into anger.

Nigeria appears to be crippled by education. Originating from the primary level & spreading throughout the sector.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by canuck(m): 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikay88:

Haba! This just sounds retarded, giving power to a group of people which are already known to be corrupt and have poor ethics to make such decisions without supervision or accountabality. Whoever came up with this has an evil plan for the country.

True talk!

Even the most disciplined Police force in the world (Victoria Police in Australia and Hong Kong Police readily come to mind) do NOT have such liberties, talk less of the world's most indisciplined, corrupt, unprofessional and recalcitrant Police force!  Abegi! angry

Mmshhheewww. . .
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Onlytruth(m): 8:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
This is the education producing our leaders. . .

We don die. cry cry

Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by budwizer(m): 9:56pm On Jul 26, 2010
These will definitely give those incompetent fools in black the license to kill!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by obstead200(m): 10:48pm On Jul 26, 2010
Having read the above article, I was quite shocked with the phrase ' will enable the police to take on-the spot decision and action'. I don't know about anybody else's view but in my book that is licence for the police to run amok. We are talking about a corrupt, incompetent, poorly trained, inept and un-professional police force that even with the current checks in place still manage to commit attrocities beyond comprehension. So imagine that same force with a carte blanche power to do whatever. I shudder to think what will happen next, suffice to say that many innocent Nigerians are going to suffer. I do recognise that the menace of Kidnapping and other heinous crimes need to be checked, but giving the Nigerian Police Farce, oh sorry, I mean the Nigerian Police Force such powers would undermine the rule of law and our democratic values.

word!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is nothing else left 2 say.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by hackney(m): 10:51pm On Jul 26, 2010
The police will now extort money from innocent citizens and if you refuse them, they will simply accuse and shoot.
It all boils down to the fact that it will not affect politicians.

What a country ; new lows everyday.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 26, 2010
ikay88:

Today today, I was in UBA PH when a MOPOL man came to drop a cheque at the counter next to me, to withdraw N24,000. You wouldnt believe that he could'nt spell "Twenty four thousand" rather he wrote "Tew four tasand" shocked. He then got angry when the lady at the counter said she could'nt cash such a cheque. In the end he begged her to fill it for him.

Previously, I had thought there was a whole police academy in Nigeria that gave basic and advanced training to prospective police officers, with more strenous excercises for MOPOL men. BUT i have been shocked back to the reality of things. How can such people be expected to use systematic and meticulous methods to maintain societal order, if the relatively simple task of filling in a check for oneself causes one to flare into anger.

Nigeria appears to be crippled by education. Originating from the primary level & spreading throughout the sector.
he ought to be familiar with twenty nah since they collect twenty naira everytime shocked cry

Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by shotster50(m): 11:55pm On Jul 26, 2010
This is definitely not good news. Why do we always like the easy option. Jungle justice? This would completely exonerate any extrajudicial killing by the Police as soon as it becomes law. Having witnesses SARS and ''Operation Sweep'' era where innocent people got killed and get tagged as armed robbers, this is indeed distressing. Is this al they can come up with in the 2 years we have had a widespread surge in kidnappings? NPF are a shame.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Okijajuju1(m): 9:33am On Jul 27, 2010
ARGH!!! shocked shocked shocked

Is this Onovo's brilliant idea after collecting award last week?!!

Yepka!! This one na die o!! We are thinking of laws to withdraw those big guns from the police and they want to give police the right to be both lawyer and executioner!!

Ye Nigeria will not kill us!!
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by tEsLim(m): 9:45am On Jul 27, 2010
This is stupid. NOrmally police have never required to get warrants before taking actions before. Neither do they charge a person to court than to first give the beating of his life
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by otokx(m): 10:00am On Jul 27, 2010
Nigeria is existing by the mercy of God; everything is upside down.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Jakumo(m): 10:03am On Jul 27, 2010
Ha ha ha Please remain calm !  There is no cause for alarm !   The situation is under control, and the usual suspects are being rounded for execution as I speak.

In all seriousness, the Nigerian Police Force, as a servant of the public, must, by definition, be PAID by the public, and that means YOU, and YOU and YOU    ha ha ha.      In short, if you ever ply a pockmarked road, street or highway in Nigeria, you are now OBLIGATED BY LAW to PAY for that exalted privilege IN CASH,  to all posted or off-duty policeman you encounter along the way.   The penalty for failure to pay all road fees as and when due will vary in accordance with the severity of the crime, and may entail anything from simple beatings to death by "stray bullet."  

There simply is no excuse for any road user within the Federal Republic of Nigeria to leave home without taking along the mandatory stack of low-denomination currency notes, so as to satisfy all legal obligations with alacrity, thereby ensuring relatively safe travel,  protected by the grateful prayers of law enforcement officers on roadblock duty.

Praise the Lord, and remember that for every Nigerian policeman demanding your money at gunpoint, there is a supervisor back at the station waiting for good returns.  It is to enable all those mid-ranking Nigerian police officers to emerge from the shadows of illegitimacy, and proudly claim their bounty of the highway with full legal protection, that this innovative "shoot at will" law has been passed.  Praise the Lord !
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by desgiezd(m): 10:06am On Jul 27, 2010
ikay88:

Today today, I was in UBA PH when a MOPOL man came to drop a cheque at the counter next to me, to withdraw N24,000. You wouldnt believe that he could'nt spell "Twenty four thousand" rather he wrote "Tew four tasand" shocked. He then got angry when the lady at the counter said she could'nt cash such a cheque.

Thank God the law is not operational yet, the lady would have received a few pointblank shots and then tagged a kidnapper irrespective of the fact that it happened in a banking hall.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by bidemi12(m): 10:44am On Jul 27, 2010
I am all for democracy and all that good stuff but it seems to me that the best way to preserve it is for the military to come back, wipe out all these political fools, setup a viable political framework and hand over power. (if it is at all possible). Can you imagine. in this day and age our lawmakers are considering "shoot at sight bill". Nija for life. undecided
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by bidemi12(m): 10:47am On Jul 27, 2010
@obalende. Omo odun melo ni e gan sef? Oro ti oun jabo lenu e nderu ba mi.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by sley4life(m): 11:13am On Jul 27, 2010
lets c where it leads us 2
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by agitator: 2:35pm On Jul 27, 2010
He was recently given a national award, why don't you people want him to justify his award grin grin

sley4life:

lets c where it leads us 2

to

bidemi12:

Nija for life. undecided
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by truly: 5:38am On Jul 28, 2010
ikenwan:

If a man lived in an area with a very high crime rate, he may very well choose to arm himself. If the National Police, incompetent as they are, were to arrive at an area where a crime had been committed and see him, it is possible that they might mistake him for the culprit.

This is the lesson US forces had to learn in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not everyone with a weapon was an insurgent. Some families and local tribes had taken to arming themselves so that they could fight back against armed robbers and highwaymen.
we don't even need to go that far
Amny years ago in Lagos, the police killed an Army colonel at a checkpoint
They quickly arranged to place a gun beisde his corpse
Of course, the soldiers scaked so many police stations abd check points

Imagine if the guy were not a soldier
case would have been "armed robber killed by eagle-eyed policeman"
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by truly: 7:34am On Jul 28, 2010
These are the people that will be taking action on the spot

Policeman kills bus driver over N50
July 28
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5599728-146/story.csp

Policeman kills driver over N20 bribe
June 24
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5584842-146/policeman_kills_driver_over_n20_bribe.csp

Nigerian Police is Predator of the Press
The group had further blamed the Nigeria Police Force, led by Mr. Onovo, for making the country “one of the world’s most violent countries for journalists.”
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5597784-146/onovo_snaps_over_questions_about_his.csp

Nigerian policemen are professional extortioners - Onovo
I will soon remove the road blocks because the objective for which they were introduced has been defeated. I don’t see what use and benefit they have achieved other than the exploitation of hapless masses. The road blocks were introduced to reduce crimes, check rampant spread of arms and ammunitions, but I don’t know how many arms and ammunitions that have been recovered in road blocks. Our men have failed woefully there but if it is extortion of money, they have excelled and succeeded.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5598154-146/ogbonna_onovo_on_kidnapping__.csp

These are only recent events and  from Next alone!

Update

August 5, 2010

Police officer in custody for defiling 15-year-old girl
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5602989-146/police_officer_in_custody_for_defiling.csp

August 5, 2010

17-year-old in coma after police torture
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5602849-146/17-year-old_in_coma_after_police_torture.csp
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by kilakhan(m): 5:20pm On Jul 31, 2010
at the best of times the Police in Nigeria are a menace to the civil populace. if this law is passed Hell may be a better place than Nigeria. the police write the rules as they go along and experience has taught me that the fewer dealings one has with the police the better for that person. angry angry lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015: We’ll Reclaim South-west States —pdp National Vice Chairman / Former ANPP Chieftain Oyegun, Joins ACN / ARROGANT Display Of Wealth.(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.