Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution (1373 Views)

Edo Modular Refinery Project To Drive Industrial Revolution (Video) / Biafran Civil War Slangs And Nicknames / US Support For Atiku, A Major Boost To His Candidacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by kenechukwufrank: 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2018
Before the 1966 pogrom against the Igbo and indigenes of former Eastern Nigeria, Nnewi in Anambra State was under the shadow of Onitsha. The markets in Nnewi were like the typical Igbo markets that were in session every four days, depending on which name each market bore. The Nkwo Market, which was situated at the center of the town, was in full session every Nkwo day, even though some isolated traders could sell some petty things, especially food items, on other days. Anybody who wanted to buy anything of substance went to Onitsha, some 20 kilometers away.

On religious matters, the Anglican Church and the Roman Catholic Church (the two big churches in Nnewi) had their diocesan headquarters in Onitsha. So, the bishops resided in Onitsha and were seen occasionally in Nnewi. To travel to any part of Nigeria from Nnewi, one had to get to Onitsha first. If the trip was to the North or West, one had to cross over by boat to Asaba (before the construction of the Niger Bridge in 1965). But after the bridge was constructed, Onitsha became the connecting city to other parts of Nigeria for most towns and villages in the current Anambra State.

On any map of Nigeria designed before the mid-1970s, Nnewi was usually omitted, because it led to nowhere and was not known for anything of note. The only thing of note that attracted people to Nnewi before the Nigerian Civil War was Okongwu Memorial Grammar School, Nnewi, which was founded in 1947 and had boys from distant towns and villages as students. The only other thing of note about Nnewi was that it produced some prominent individuals like Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu, the richest man in Nigeria; Dr Nwafor Orizu, Senate President and acting President of Nigeria; Lt Col Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Governor of Eastern Nigeria and later Head of State of the short-lived Republic of Biafra; Chief Z.C. Obi, President of Igbo State Union, Rt Rev. L.M. Uzodike, the first Igbo bishop of the Diocese on the Niger, Onitsha (Anglican Communion). Interestingly, none of these personalities operated from Nnewi, because there was nothing of note – politically, commercially or religiously – that attracted people to Nnewi.

However, all that changed with the pogrom of 1966. When Nnewi sons and daughters fled home from different parts of Nigeria in 1966 and did not have a big market to continue with their trade, Lt Col Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, as the Governor of Eastern Nigeria, asked the Igwe of Nnewi, Igwe K.O.N. Orizu (Orizu lll) to carve out a portion of the vast Edo forest for development. (Edo’s shrine is situated close to the center of the town.) It was the strangest of requests.

Edo’s land covered about a kilometer radius. The land was so sacred and feared that while walking past the shrine of Edo if your money fell from your pocket, you would fearfully leave the money there and run along. You dared not even remove a leaf from any tree or shrub that belonged to Edo.

But Igwe Orizu consulted human beings and deities and they all gave the go-ahead. A portion of the land of Edo was cleared and turned into Nkwo Nnewi Market. That was how the transformation of Nnewi started, for even after the Nigeria-Biafra War, many Nnewi indigenes refused to go back to those parts of Nigeria where they lost all their investments and even their relatives. They decided that Nnewi was good enough and viable enough for them to engage in that motor and motorcycle spare parts trade that they were doing in different parts of the country. That decision eventually turned Nnewi into a place that attracted people from across Africa and other parts of the world for business transactions.

After the Civil War, Nnewi owners of transport companies, led by Chief Augustine Ilodibe, founder of Ekene Dili Chukwu Nigeria Limited, decided to have direct trips to and from Nnewi. That further helped to make access to Nnewi easier. By the 1980s, some of the big importers of auto spare parts decided to go into manufacturing. They also decided to site their companies in Nnewi despite the poor infrastructure like electricity, telecommunications, and roads.

When he was elected Chairman of Nnewi LGA in December 1987, Dr. D.B.A. Ofomata (with Maazi E.C. Egwudo as the arrowhead) decided to expand the Nnewi market. So they went again to Edo’s land and carved out a large portion that was turned into the new market named Agbo-Edo Market. (Agbo Edo means the forest of Edo). That made the Nnewi markets to have sections: Motor Spare Parts section, Motorcycle Spare Parts section, Articles section, Building Materials section, Electrical, and Electronics section, Banking section, Fresh Fruits and Foods section, and a garage within the market. The banks rushed in. All these combined to boost the development of Nnewi as a commercial-cum-industrial city of note in Nigeria.
Read More on http://anaedoonline.com/2018/11/21/civil-war-gave-boost-nnewi/

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Youngbbt: 1:12pm On Nov 21, 2018
igbo amaka

if every leader who have rule this country ...stop be jealous, igbo would have be the next china

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Nigeriabiafra80: 1:16pm On Nov 21, 2018
Discover
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by archangel1(m): 1:44pm On Nov 21, 2018
interesting. the Japan of Africa
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by gidgiddy: 2:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
God bless Nnewi, the town that produced Senate President Orizu, Biafran Warlord Ojukwu, Chief Ilodibe(Ekene dili Chukwu), Chief Innocent Chukwuma(Innoson), Dr Ifeanyi Uba(Capital Oil)

3 Likes

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Racoon(m): 2:32pm On Nov 21, 2018
Alaigbo dinma.Ndi Nnewi kwenu!
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by meccuno: 2:34pm On Nov 21, 2018
good
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by odduduwa: 2:39pm On Nov 21, 2018
Youngbbt:
igbo amaka

if every leader who have rule this country ...stop be jealous, igbo would have be the next china

most times I feel like renouncing my Yoruba ancestry to Igbo . we are lucky to be in same country with the igbos

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 3:00pm On Nov 21, 2018
wait wait....so nnewi was carved out of edo...??

are we talkin about the same edo....??
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Ejanla07: 3:25pm On Nov 21, 2018
bantudra:

Yoruba muslim afonja. Spotted...

3 Likes

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2018
Ejanla07:

Yoruba muslim afonja. Spotted...

what does this has to do with Yoruba muslim afonja now....??

am just askin a simple question....

and dont call me that....you,you....
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by nwagbofrank: 4:55pm On Nov 21, 2018
really Nnewi is a land of gold most of the though men i know are from there
Innoson, coscharis, capital oil, ibeto, denka family, Louise cater, Izundu (World Man), IBK
the first woman governor from their (Virgi Etiaba), longest serving Mornacry in Africa their Igwe and many more
I respect Nnewi People

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by chiagozien(m): 5:10pm On Nov 21, 2018
Nnewi is Biafra land.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Ejanla07: 5:14pm On Nov 21, 2018
bantudra:

what does this has to do with Yoruba muslim afonja now....??
am just askin a simple question....
and dont call me that....you,you....

Yoruba muslim afonja

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 6:17pm On Nov 21, 2018
chiagozien:
Nnewi is Biafra land.

go and carry am na into biafra...ewu akpu...
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by highqueen(f): 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2018
Nnewi Is very industrialised, even when I went to Innoson for my IT, I was so wow!!

So many industries and technology in that town.

Nnewi, God bless you!!

Nnewi Amaka

Anambra Amaka

Igbo Amaka

2 Likes

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by highqueen(f): 6:21pm On Nov 21, 2018
bantudra:

go and carry am na into biafra...ewu akpu...
Sharap there.
See you, see jealousy. undecided
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 6:22pm On Nov 21, 2018
ewu iberibes....kiiikikikiki...comman ipobians,lets have some fun....am bored....
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 6:24pm On Nov 21, 2018
highqueen:

Sharap there.

anuofia ewu....kiiikikiikikiki....

maybe i can learn some more words....kiiikikikiki....

nsalla roadkills....

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 6:25pm On Nov 21, 2018
uhhhhh,they ran away again.... cry cry
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 6:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
highqueen:

Sharap there.

why should i be jealous....??....na south south too....
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Ejanla07: 7:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
bantudra:
ewu iberibes....kiiikikikiki...comman ipobians,lets have some fun....am bored....

Why wont u be bored wen all u do is smoke weed and drink jedi... Beg money and hate Igbos.
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 21, 2018
bantudra:

You need to learn more about Igbo Omenala.

1 Like

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 7:07am On Nov 22, 2018
immhotep:

You need to learn more about Igbo Omenala.

am on it...i know ewu,nsalla,efulefu,iberibe.anuofia....
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 22, 2018
bantudra:

am on it...i know ewu,nsalla,efulefu,iberibe.anuofia....
Your Igbo wife will help you for sure.

Cc lzaa jumpandpas eternaltruths velocity25 roger3d

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by bantudra: 7:41am On Nov 22, 2018
immhotep:

she taught me mmarama e....i dont know how to write it though....

but she is gone....we divorced....
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 22, 2018
bantudra:

she taught me mmarama e....i dont know how to write it though....

but she is gone....we divorced....
Ewwww grin
Reconciliation loading . . . .
Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by LZAA: 2:58pm On Nov 22, 2018
immhotep:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by Roger3D(m): 3:03pm On Nov 22, 2018
[quote author=LZAA post=73205985][/quote] Take an industrial slap angry

Re: Nig./ Biafran Civil War Gave Boost To Nnewi Industrial Revolution by LZAA: 3:18pm On Nov 22, 2018
Roger3D:
Take an industrial slap angry

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CJN Onoghen: Where The Hell Is Yemi Osibanjo, SAN? / Onnoghen Can Still Reclaim His Position As CJN If Cleared By Tribunal – Sagay / Herdsmen Fighting To Islamise Nigeria, Africa –obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.