Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,445 members, 7,954,760 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:36 AM

Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains (3142 Views)

Fuel Hike: "Lord Forgive Me For I Have Sinned" - Man Begs For Castigating GEJ / Obidient Movement Collapses As Corruption, Sex Scandals Rock Peter Obi's Camp / EFCC Brings Fayose To Court As Corruption Trial Begins [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by JustWatching: 8:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
This mumu is the reason why they are suffering

1 Like

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by tesppidd: 8:21pm On Nov 21, 2018
Ebele thinks we have forgotten the context he used that day.

I watched that chat live.

Gej said

"Common stealing, people will be calling it corruption"

We have not forgotten.

1 Like

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by bilulu(m): 8:50pm On Nov 21, 2018
GavelSlam:
Ok
thank you for dat clarification but u can still check Wikipedia. thanks

2 Likes

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by GavelSlam: 8:55pm On Nov 21, 2018
bilulu:

thank you for dat clarification but u can still check Wikipedia. thanks

You don't want Google again?
grin

1 Like

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Chazzyboy: 9:23pm On Nov 21, 2018
abc115:

The elevated thought is lacking in logical reasoning.Is stealing not dishonesty,fraud etc...so what is corruption...dishonesty, fraud..

1.You and Mr Jonathan should understand that Stealing is a subsect of Corruption.
2. Stealing = Dishonesty and Fraud
3.Dishonesty and Fraud= Corruption
4.Therefore 2=3
5. If 2 is equal to 3, hence Stealing=Corruption
6. In Conclusion,Stealing and Corruption is a distinction without difference
philosophy and logic
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Carlyscales: 9:29pm On Nov 21, 2018
abc115:
Mr Jonathan... Stealing is Corruption.No wonder under you , the looting of treasury was taking to another height

I hope u actually read the write up or understood what's written there?

1 Like

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Carlyscales: 9:32pm On Nov 21, 2018
zlantanfan:
This man is really pained about his defeat, since if it was now he wouldn't have conceded

I hope u know the meaning of presidential memoirs B4 spewing that?

The one obj wrote is because he lost election abi

Or the one currently worked on for Buhari is what

1 Like

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by hustler86(m): 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2018
Chai... Now I see why ur wife said umblera,.... Lack of proper communication skills and comprehension of your reasoning lead you to the spewing of gibberish outta your mouth. I need to know the professors that awarded you PhD. Ogogoro man of the year.
#NextLevel please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by bilulu(m): 9:48pm On Nov 21, 2018
GavelSlam:

You don't want Google again? grin
Oga do more research so dat u can also correct ur folks

1 Like

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Great2017: 10:43pm On Nov 21, 2018
GavelSlam:

You don't want Google again?
grin

Merriam-Webster Logo
SINCE 1828

orphan noun
or·​phan | \ˈȯr-fən \
Definition of orphan (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a child deprived by death of one or usually both parents
He became an orphan when his parents died in a car accident.
2 : a young animal that has lost its mother
feeding calves that are orphans
3 : one deprived of some protection or advantage
orphans of the storm
refugee orphans of the war
4 : a first line (as of a paragraph) separated from its related text and appearing at the bottom of a printed page or column
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by 99100(m): 10:50pm On Nov 21, 2018
abc115:

The elevated thought is lacking in logical reasoning.Is stealing not dishonesty,fraud etc...so what is corruption...dishonesty, fraud..

1.You and Mr Jonathan should understand that Stealing is a subsect of Corruption.
4.Therefore 2=3
6. In Conclusion,Stealing and Corruption: a distinction without difference

Are u making sense? Pls take a pulse ....then ask yourself if really u are making any sense in the trash you wrote up there.
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by deomelo: 10:58pm On Nov 21, 2018

You see why Nigerians sacked this clueless, thoughtless, crooked and corrupt loser?

grin

1 Like

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Splashme: 11:15pm On Nov 21, 2018
Afamed:
Only God knows who award GEJ with PhD without thesis. The Otuoke has been trying hard to re - write history

Lol, you what's your highest qualifications?
Did you even read the story?
I guess you're among those he described in the book as ""those who are incapable of comprehending this elevated thought.."
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by abc115: 11:20pm On Nov 21, 2018
99100:

Are u making sense? Pls take a pulse ....then ask yourself if really u are making any sense in the trash you wrote up there.

Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Afamed: 11:46pm On Nov 21, 2018
Splashme:

Lol, you what's your highest qualifications?
Did you even read the story?
I guess you're among those he described in the book as ""those who are incapable of comprehending this elevated thought.."
I expected someone like you to justify the Otuoke fisherman by re editing the history anyway.
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Splashme: 12:09am On Nov 22, 2018
Afamed:

I expected someone like you to justify the Otuoke fisherman by re editing the history anyway.

Read the story.
It's self explanatory
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by capitalzero: 2:19am On Nov 22, 2018
abc115:

4.Therefore 2=3

you may not steal but corrupt. nepotism is a form of corruption. abuse of rule of law is another form of corruption. stealing and corruption are not synonym.
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Mace0lane: 4:08am On Nov 22, 2018
Splashme:

Did you read the story?
Jonathan described your type as "those who are incapable of comprehending this elevated thought.."
Elevated theifry shrouded in foolishness right ?
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Mace0lane: 4:18am On Nov 22, 2018
DamiBukola:
I don't know who is duller between you and Buhari. Jonathan government stole while Buhari's government is fantastically corrupt. Abuse of power, buying power bike for Yusuf Buhari, appointing just Daura people etcetera are the rudiments of corruption.
It is amazing you have no idea how you rubbish your entire Igbo tribe when you talk about Buhari son n superbike. One will think Ebele’s children will be driving “keke rally” cos they not own something more expensive than Yusuf’s bike. I know it’s a waste telling you how senseless you are so I will just let you wallow in your foolishness.
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by Deltatoto: 5:40am On Nov 22, 2018
Splashme:
YOU CAN BE CORRUPT WITHOUT STEALING A DIME

Godluck Jonathan, former President, says it is possible for an individual to be corrupt without stealing a kobo.

Jonathan said this in his book, ‘My Transition Hours’, while trying to explain the difference between ‘corruption’ and ‘stealing’, which, according to him, led to “false claims” that he said “stealing is not corruption”.

“Immediately after the 2011 elections, my administration was repeatedly accused of being corrupt,” Jonathan said in the chapter 5 of the book, titled ‘Corruption And The Blame Game’.

“Despite the blackmail, I remained committed to combating corruption in a systemic way, knowing it was endemic. We vigorously devised and implemented a thorough and strategic plan to fight corruption, using technology, albeit within the context of the rule of law and due process.”

Jonathan went on to explain his ideas about corruption, but only after he had denied ever saying ‘stealing is not corruption’.

“Before I go deeper into this, let me address a false narrative my detractors have used to besmirch my name. They claim that I once said that ‘stealing is not corruption’. This is not true. Following the constant stigmatization of Nigerians as corrupt, I invited the leadership of the legislature and judiciary to a meeting.

“In attendance were the Senate President and his Deputy, Speaker of the House of Representative and his Deputy; the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), the President of the Court of Appeal, the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court and six States’ Chief Judges from each of the six geopolitical zones. Also invited were heads of two anti-corruption agencies viz, the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practice and Other related Offences Commission (ICPC). I presided over the meeting with the Vice President.

“My thinking was that the executive arm of government alone could not effectively eradicate the scourge of corruption, hence the need for that meeting. I personally appealed to them and argued that only an all-inclusive approach could bring about tangible successes in the anti- corruption fight. The judiciary, the legislative and the executive arms of government needed to join forces if were to end the theft of public resources and stop corruption.”

He explained that he proposed that those present at the meeting should work together to curb corruption; ensure that matters of corruption are treated in painstaking and timely manner when presented to the courts, otherwise there would be no effective results; to encourage the parliament to play a fundamental role in passing strong and effective law, as the judiciary can only do little when laws are weak.

“The then Chief Justice of Nigeria, Honourable Justice Dahiru Musdapher, in his contributions acknowledged that he was of the same opinion. He added that because of the perception of corruption in Nigeria he had to isolate all the case files before the Supreme Court having to do with corruption charges,” Jonathan continued on page 45 of the book.

“He said that after reading through those files, he discovered that more than 70% were not corruption cases, per se, but crimes of stealing. The individuals involved were however not charged to court for stealing but rather in preparing the case files, the prosecutors used the term ‘corruption’.

“It was on the strength of his submission that I expounded to say that we should stop calling a spade an agricultural implement. Corruption does not fully capture the act of stealing. A person can indeed be corrupt without stealing a dime. Those who are incapable of comprehending this elevated thought and the mischievous crowd go about claiming till date that I said ‘stealing is not corruption’. They never bothered to even check the context in which I spoke. If you ask many of those clinging to that falsehood and mouthing malicious misrepresentation, to quote where I said it, they will tell you ‘they only heard’.

“Let me categorically state that I never said stealing is good and that people should steal, neither did the CJN. Stealing is stealing and instead of calling it corruption, let us call the thief by his proper name and not use a blanket word like corruption.

“Corruption encompasses many things. According to Transparency International, corruption is defined as the ‘abuse of entrusted power for the private gain’. The Merriam Webster’s dictionary defines stealing as ‘to take without permission or legal right and without intending to return’. If a government minister upon a cabinet dissolution takes a vehicle that he is not entitled to and converts it to personal use, then that is stealing. We must not lump everything together to say stealing is corruption. We must isolate stealing and make it as plain as day because Nigerians hate thieves. I abhor jungle justice, but we have witnessed Nigerians show their hatred for suspected thieves by burning them alive.”

The perception of the Jonathan administration as corrupt played a big role in the victory of the then opposition party at the 2015 presidential election. But Jonathan insisted that this was not so, otherwise his administration would not have “supported the institutional development of secure systems and mechanisms to curb corruption in public service and plug revenue leakages”.

“My administration spearheaded the development of the Treasury Single Account (TSA), the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS) and the Bank verification Number (BVN)," he added.

http://saharareporters.com/2018/11/21/person-can-indeed-be-corrupt-without-stealing-dime-says-jonathan
when a man that has phd talks u don’t expect a man that couldn’t provide his waec certificate to understand
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by pinkguy(m): 6:52am On Nov 22, 2018
I'm aback how million of Nigeria are senseless GEJ said is better to use the word stealing instead of corruption because the Nigeria society have more hate for the word stealing than corruption, example in Nigeria communities today you can hear someone calling a lady corrupt girl that do not mean the girl is a thief it's may meant the lady is sexually active or she is more sexually exposed compare to her age mate ,so in the Nigeria context someone can be corrupt without stealing but once you said someone is a thief its simple mean that individual have steal and Nigerian hate that a lot which will make them reacts
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by dokie: 7:41am On Nov 22, 2018
abc115:

4.Therefore 2=3

Stealing is indeed a subset of corruption. However, it is not good to lump it together in the Nigerian context. Why? So that the likes of buhari will not come and tell us he us fighting corruption. What buhari means by him fighting corruption is fighting stealing of government money, which is just a part of it. While he is the main culprit of other major areas of corruption, essentially Abuse of enrusted power for personal gain or interest.
Re: Stealing Not Same As Corruption. - GEJ explains by abc115: 7:57am On Nov 22, 2018
dokie:

Stealing is indeed a subset of corruption. However, it is not good to lump it together in the Nigerian context. Why? So that the likes of buhari will not come and tell us he us fighting corruption. What buhari means by him fighting corruption is fighting stealing of government money, which is just a part of it. While he is the main culprit of other major areas of corruption, essentially Abuse of enrusted power for personal gain or interest.

If you agreed that Stealing is a subset of Corruption, then Is fighting Stealing not the same as fighting Corruption?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Ajimobi Shares 'KuliKuli' As He Campaigns For Senate (Photos) / Ty Danjuma Woke Amotekun Up / This is west Africa's largest off-Grid Solar power plant in kano(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.