Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,530 members, 7,823,309 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Cultural Preservation And Masquerades - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Preservation And Masquerades (16741 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 12:24am On Jul 27, 2010
Long before now, Nmonwu (Masquerades) had been in existence. Our forefathers were involved in this culture over two thousand years ago. They are mystic in nature and are regarded as dead ancestors. This belief overwhelms almost all the Igbo speaking states of Nigeria. Anything masquerade is taken seriously as a tradition and is respected and preserved as gift from forefathers.
We can not stop Nmonwu but should advice the soft and smooth method of their operation.

3 Likes

Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 12:30am On Jul 27, 2010
Nmonwu (MASQUERADE) is a natural culture and does not in anyway interfere with church doctrine or tradition if the use of charm and related factors is not included. Let us discuss Nmonwu and the need to preserve Nigerian cultures. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ChinenyeN(m): 12:36am On Jul 27, 2010
As far as I know, Owu are still around. . . they're not going anywhere.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 12:50am On Jul 27, 2010
There have been a lot of discussion going on about Nmonwu at the moment. Some intellectuals and Christians will not grasp completely the meaning of Nmonwu but if one examines it spiritually, will capture the whole.
Nmonwu was Police, Army and Court before the coming of English Army, Police and Court.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ChinenyeN(m): 1:25am On Jul 27, 2010
Well, if you ask me, I'm not sure they're ever going away. We've got them incorporated too much into our festivals. Even if they are 'removed'/'outlawed', their shadows will continue to echo through cultural pastimes. Owu aren't going anywhere, I'm afraid.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by THEAMAKA(f): 3:26am On Jul 27, 2010
ChinenyeN:

As far as I know, Owu are still around. . . they're not going anywhere.
when you say Owu you are talking about the same Oghu/Ogwu  (an even that takes place in during June-Aug in SOME parts of Igbo-land?)
its the same thing, just different dialect right?
or explain your Owu for me tho, I wanna learn.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 11:58am On Jul 27, 2010
Some of the Court functions of Nmonwu are classified into lower Court, High Court and supreme Court.
Lower Court; Nmonwu is in charge of places of defecation [flash=200,200]http://IN OLDEN DAYS[/flash]. Any body who defecates in unauthorized places pays a certain amount of money or his belongings will be taken from his house and mostly no rulers in the olden days can do their works without Nmonwu and youths can not enforce any law given by chiefs in those days without the use of Nmonwu.
Even the district heads and government knew of these in those days. The Nwonwu is used for the environmental sanitation like keeping the roads clean and streams.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2010
Nmonwu is used to discipline erring youths in the society, like youth who who don't obey their fathers and mothers and community.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2010
Nmonwu also enhances the collection of levies in the town or village. Nmonwu is used in keeping the town warm and without Nmonwu no feast will be exciting because Nmonwu is a part of our celebrations and entertainment.
Nmonwu visits funeral ceremonies especialy where notable, aged people die. They show him respect because the man worked hard for the community. This does not apply to women because,,,,
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ChinenyeN(m): 4:29pm On Jul 27, 2010
The Amaka, "Owu" is one general term for "masquerade". I haven't heard of Nmonwu. Sounds like Andre is talking about Okonko (secret society), but even then I not so sure, because (to the best of my knowledge) the Okonko weren't a masquerade society (if I'm understanding Andre, correctly). So, I just say "Owu", since the topic is about masquerades.

and I don't know what Oghu/Ogwu is/are; never heard of it.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by THEAMAKA(f): 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2010
ChinenyeN:

The Amaka, "Owu" is one general term for "masquerade". I haven't heard of Nmonwu. Sounds like Andre is talking about Okonko (secret society), but even then I not so sure, because (to the best of my knowledge) the Okonko weren't a masquerade society (if I'm understanding Andre, correctly). So, I just say "Owu", since the topic is about masquerades.

and I don't know what Oghu/Ogwu is/are; never heard of it.
OOOOOO, I see.
I think what Andre is talking about is in the Anambra/Enugu side. we don't really do that in my part, neither do they dance at the funerals.
In my part of Imo State. . . we have this thing called "Oghu/Oghwu" (depends in dialect)
usually takes place during June-Aug, its sooooo fun!
Anambra/Enugu have Ogene, while we don't do Ogene, we do Ogwu (which is totally different).  smiley
but its only certain parts of Imo State that do it (mostly in the nothern region of the state) so most people that aren't from that region never heard of it. I can't even find anything about it on the web or youtube.  sad
and our Masquerades are totally different.
thanks
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by Wbong: 4:56pm On Jul 27, 2010
is this thread only for igbo masquerades?
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 6:48pm On Jul 27, 2010
Wbong:

is this thread only for igbo masquerades?
NO.
Other Nigerian ethnic groups do masquerades. But masquerades, just like kola nuts, is most celebrated by Ndigbo. Remember, Yorubas plant kola nuts and Hausas eats it most, yet Ndigbo celebrate it most.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 7:00pm On Jul 27, 2010
Masquerades goes by different titles in Igboland. The roles of the masquerades outlined in this thread is mostly practised in the Anioma/Anambra/Enugu axis. Nmonwu is also practised in Imo state e.g Aro Ndizogu, Okigwe and Isiala Mbano.
Outside this areas, Nmonwu or whatever name is called is mostly for celebration and entertainment.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 7:14pm On Jul 27, 2010
Nmonwu (masquerades) is used in intercommunity or town celebration. Above all, it is used in interacting with notable men in the society by visiting them and receiving gift from the people visited. Some of the gifts include drinks, yams and money. This aspect is very prominent in Agu-Okonko festivals of Obowu, Isinweke and Nsu Mbano areas of Imo state and this poster happens to come from this area. Nmonwu is not idol worshipping but tradition.
Let us embrace the practice of Nmonwu but should discourage the practitioners from attaching bad magic intentions with it.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ChinenyeN(m): 7:22pm On Jul 27, 2010
THE AMAKA:

OOOOOO, I see.
I think what Andre is talking about is in the Anambra/Enugu side. we don't really do that in my part, neither do they dance at the funerals.
Andre Uweh:

The roles of the masquerades outlined in this thread is mostly practised in the Anioma/Anambra/Enugu axis.
Okay. That explains why I'm not familiar with it.

THE AMAKA:

In my part of Imo State. . . we have this thing called "Oghu/Oghwu" (depends in dialect)
usually takes place during June-Aug, its sooooo fun!
Anambra/Enugu have Ogene, while we don't do Ogene, we do Ogwu (which is totally different).  smiley
Oh okay. That's interesting.

THE AMAKA:

but its only certain parts of Imo State that do it (mostly in the nothern region of the state) so most people that aren't from that region never heard of it. I can't even find anything about it on the web or youtube.  sad
and our Masquerades are totally different.
thanks
I know exactly how you feel. It's typically only Anambra/Enugwu/Delta (and upper Abia) stuff you can find on YouTube. It saddens me.

The more I learn about us Igbo, the less homogeneous we seem. . .
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by asha80(m): 7:33pm On Jul 27, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Okay. That explains why I'm not familiar with it.
Oh okay. That's interesting.
I know exactly how you feel. It's typically only Anambra/Enugwu/Delta (and upper Abia) stuff you can find on YouTube. It saddens me.

The more I learn about us Igbo, the less homogeneous we seem. . .

Whose fault is that?
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ChinenyeN(m): 7:44pm On Jul 27, 2010
asha 80:

Whose fault is that?
Yeah, I know, the culture groups'. It's still sad; virtually no former attempts to preserve a consciousness' culture.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by asha80(m): 7:51pm On Jul 27, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Yeah, I know, the culture groups'. It's still sad; virtually no former attempts to preserve a consciousness' culture.

The indegenes there should not be spared.What stops them them from filming with a camera or even phone and uploading it on youtube?Do you think that those other ones on youtube where put there by majorly culture groups?

I have always known anyway that the 'northern igbo' take there culture and cultural activities a bit more seriously that 'southern igbo'
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ChinenyeN(m): 8:03pm On Jul 27, 2010
asha 80:

The indegenes there should not be spared.What stops them them from filming with a camera or even phone and uploading it on youtube?Do you think that those other ones on youtube where put there by majorly culture groups?

I have always known anyway that the 'northern igbo' take there culture and cultural activities a bit more seriously that 'southern igbo'
Very true. I definitely cannot disagree with that.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2010
asha 80:

You are right. Nevertherless, Imo state government has an annual culturefest called Omenaimo (Ozuruimo) where all the masquerades and traditional dances are displayed. Prizes are won in different categories. I did take part in OzuruImo 1993 at Dan Anyiam stadium Owerri. With the creation of Abia state, the state govt has introduced its own version of Ozuruimo and it is called Ugwuabia.
Generally, I must commend the efforts of Igbo states and territories in preserving masquerade tradition. I watched the video film of Anioma cultural festival at Asaba last year. It was colourful. I have not forgotten the Nmonwu displays at Okpara square Enugu that I use to watch then.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by THEAMAKA(f): 8:18pm On Jul 27, 2010
IT IS NO ONE'S FAULT! AH AHN! shocked shocked shocked shocked embarassed
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by asha80(m): 8:25pm On Jul 27, 2010
THE AMAKA:

IT IS NO ONE'S FAULT! AH AHN! shocked shocked shocked shocked embarassed

it is good for people to admit a fault and then find way to better it.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ijawgirl: 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2010
Ijaws do celebrate masquerades as much as the Igbos do
The attitude of the fishes our ancestors encountered during fishing brought rise to the different masquraede displays we have today.This display was practiced as a form of recreation by our forefathers while relaxing when off work.

Nwaotam -is the most famous and celebrated masquerade of the Ibani people.
The most celebrated festival among this people is Nwaotam in which bona-fide Ibani sons and daughters, in a colourful display of culture, accompany their masquerade into the river as directed by the god of their land.
Nwaotam Play or Nwatam is performed during christmas in Bonny and new year in Opobo/Bonny
nwa-otam, the name implies it is a dance of/from the grave yard. A borrowed culture indeed from the Ndoki people.

Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ijawgirl: 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2010
Nwaotam is on the roof in order to bring blessings to the people. The activities of the Nwaotam on the symbolize and actualize For Bonnya struggle against the forces of evil. When Nwaotam leaps into outstretched arms of his followers, the mission is deemed to been accomplished. Once this happens, the play is over.

Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by Abagworo(m): 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2010
nwaotam is not borrowed but is the original culture of ubanis children everywhere including abia,rivers and akwaibom.forget about the recently doctored tales.one can always admit his roots and yet claim distinct identity.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by THEAMAKA(f): 10:08pm On Jul 27, 2010
[flash=425,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCkb0yiy9NI[/flash]
nice video.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ijawgirl: 10:19pm On Jul 27, 2010
Abagworo:

nwaotam is not borrowed but is the original culture of ubanis children everywhere including abia,rivers and akwaibom.forget about the recently doctored tales.one can always admit his roots and yet claim distinct identity.

Well from what I know. Nwaotam was a ritual practised by the Ndoki people. Opobo fishermen learnt about Nwaotam when fishing around the Ndoki area and decided to teach their fellow Opobians.  The likes of Okai Banigo, Eugene Mac -Pepple(Opobo chief) later  brought this foreign play to Grand Bonny in 1942.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by ijawgirl: 10:28pm On Jul 27, 2010
well Nwaotam is just a festival.  OWU-ogbo/owo(masquerade) is the culture.

Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 11:31pm On Jul 27, 2010
[flash=425,345]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlIekNIPfTA[/flash]

THE ABOVE VIDEO IS AGU-OKONKO MASQUERADE. WOMEN CAN TAKE PART ONLY IN DANCING.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 11:41pm On Jul 27, 2010
Agu-Okonko is practised in the Okigwe south constituency of Imo state. Notable communities with this cultural practice are:
Umuihi
Amakohia.
Lowa.
Odenkume.
Umuakagu Nsu.
Umuderim.
Re: Cultural Preservation And Masquerades by AndreUweh(m): 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2010
In some parts of Igboland, there are Nmonwus that appears only in the night and hates seeing light for reasons known and instituted by tradition.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Lamido Joins MTN Board / Can The Irunmoles Incarnate As Orishas? / Oba Gbadewolu Ogedengbe Fagbohun Is Dead: Father Of LASU VC Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.