Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,916 members, 7,810,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

Soludo Replies Akunyili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soludo Replies Akunyili (4559 Views)

Soludo Replies GEJ... / Soludo Replies Okonjo-Iweala, Accuses Her Of Forging National Economics Stats / Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soludo Replies Akunyili by desgiezd(m): 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2010
http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=17780

Why Akunyili Is Fighting Me – Soludo
• Says Minister Lobbied For Anambra PDP Ticket
By Obiora Ifoh, Assistant Editor, Abuja

The politics of ego between former Central Bank Governor, Chukwuma Soludo, and Information and Communications Minister, Dora Akunyili, got messier on Monday with the disclosure by Soludo that she had failed to persuade the late President Umaru Yar’Adua to anoint her the consensus candidate in the Anambra State Governorship poll on February 6.

This is why the woman is fighting me, he alleged.

Soludo also narrated how Akunyili and Turai Yar’Adua fell out after the former First Lady refused to influence her husband to ‘anoint’ her the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), a ticket 47 people vied for.

A statement issued by Soludo’s Media Assistant, Bonaventure Melah, said Akunyili was the clandestine “48th aspirant” who did not have the courage to resign her job as Minister and face the people through the primaries.

“She rather devoted all her energies to lobbying (Yar’Adua) to appoint her as ‘the consensus candidate’ – and there are several witnesses and evidence to this fact.

“Since she lost the nomination to Soludo, she has never spared any opportunity to vent her bitterness. Most politicians know that Dora has negative electoral value in Anambra and cannot ‘make’ a Councillor let alone a legislator.

“Indeed, Dora knows that any candidate who publicly associates with her will lose election in Anambra. To ascribe to herself any influence whatsoever in the making of a Governor smacks of a huge dose of delusion!”

Soludo said he was reacting to the “outlandish and childish accusations” levelled by Akunyili that his thugs prevented her from attending her sister’s funeral and also followed her to her father’s village in Nanka.

She alleged that Soludo was probably angry with her because she could not make him Anambra Governor.

He noted that while her intention could be her usual “infantile propaganda,” the allegations are weighty enough to warrant a response.

He said the aspect of Akunyili’s allegations that sounded childish was the futile attempt to link the Governorship election to her imaginary threats.

The statement added: “It should be noted that Dora Akunyili’s allegations were made at a ‘press conference’ called several days after the burial/funeral ceremonies.

“Is it not curious that (she) who attended the burial/funeral with blaring sirens and a horde of heavily armed policemen and SSS (State Security Service) personnel would be attacked by ‘thugs’ who also chased her to her village, and to date, there has been no formal report of the incidents or threats in any police station, and there was no arrest of any of the ‘thugs’.

“We only read about ‘thugs’ on the pages of newspapers. Or, was Dora Akunyili referring to the over 8,000 guests and politicians from all the 21 local government areas in Anambra who came to condole with Soludo as the PDP flag bearer in Anambra as thugs?”

Soludo said it is recorded on tape that Akunyili praised him in church for taking care of her sister and announced that all those who had come for her and her family would be entertained at her father’s compound in Nanka.

“Were the thugs chasing her before or after the praises and announcement at the church service? From the church, she joined the thousands of people to walk all the way to the sister’s compound and personally observed the burial.

“After that, she again personally caused a public announcement to be made to the effect that her guests should follow her to Nanka (as the custom demands).

“There is a video tape of her activities, with her acknowledging greetings after the burial until she entered her car. When did the thugs come in and only Dora Akunyili (out of the thousands that attended) saw them? You can fool some people some of the time but never all the people all the time!”

According to Soludo, what makes the allegation laughable is that one of his major contributions to Anambra and Nigerian politics is his insistence on non-violence and absence of thuggery.

He said it is on record that during the Governorship vote, about 400 thugs were arrested and none was from the PDP, which is the new politics he is spearheading.

“Furthermore, to imagine that Soludo who was deeply mourning the death of his beloved mother- in-law (whom he described as his own mother) would organise thugs to disrupt the funeral which he personally organised says volumes about how far Dora’s fertile mind could go in concocting imaginary threats.

“Anyway, Nigerians are used to the crocodile tears and faked threats – all in attempts to woo public sympathy. Dora is taking her propagandist skills rather too far!”

Soludo alleged that Akunyili knows more than she is willing to tell the public, knows about her age-long quarrels “as usual” with members of her family and her elder sister.

He said her age-long quarrels with her late sister are also public knowledge, and that her late sister personally told her stories to lots of people in Anambra several years back.

“They had nothing to do with neither Soludo nor the 2010 elections. Dora did not talk about her desperate attempts to disrupt the burial/funeral by attempting to organise a parallel funeral site beside her sister’s compound (which is an abomination).

“She did not talk about the fact that the traditional ruler, the community and her own kindred resisted her abominable act, reported in Tribune and Daily Independent on July 17.”

Soludo said he is aware that “she decided to concoct the stories and go on the offensive after the newspaper reports clearly indicted her. She had to find a fall guy, and of course her phobia for Soludo provided the convenient alibi.”

He, however, vowed to resist any attempt to drag him into Akunyili’s unending quarrels with her family, nephews and nieces.

He recalled that he was the first to congratulate Governor Peter Obi after the election, to demonstrate “a rare sense of sportsmanship uncommon in this part of the world.”

He said he has since reconciled with all the major political gladiators in Anambra, and they were all in his village to condole with him during the funeral.

“Akunyili should find another excuse to explain her abominable acts during her sister’s burial/funeral. She has misfired in this one!”
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by desgiezd(m): 3:36pm On Jul 27, 2010
Soludo's story appears far more credible than that of Akunyili. One wonders why these two prominent citizens who are even in-laws can not work together.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Jul 27, 2010
ROFLMAO!!! Nigerian politicians are so predictable!!!

Is it possible this is the true sides of Akunyili and Soludo that the nation refused to see all those months with Yar adua? shocked
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by bawomolo(m): 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2010

He said he has since reconciled with all the major political gladiators in Anambra, and they were all in his village to condole with him during the funeral.

aww how seeet. sike
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by mustafar1: 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2010
are you guys surprised? theres more gist waiting to be published. latest by friday, dora the explorer should return fire.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by adigun101: 5:03pm On Jul 27, 2010
Look at how low 2 distinguished proffessors in their various disciplines have sunk because of Money politics.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by dustydee: 6:45pm On Jul 27, 2010
Stop this, I said stop it.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Jul 27, 2010
dustydee:

Stop this, I said stop it.

ROFLMAO!! . . . like say na so e dey work for Nigeria.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Beaf: 7:02pm On Jul 27, 2010
I have lost some regard for Dora and Soludo. How can two grown ups publish their family quarrel in the press, for the whole wide World to view?
Its crazy and childish.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by ladi02(m): 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2010
Its a known fact that Dora is not a saint!

i believe soludo's story angry
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 27, 2010
Anyway, Nigerians are used to the crocodile tears and faked threats – all in attempts to woo public sympathy. Dora is taking her propagandist skills rather too far!”
This appears agreeable.

I pity Soludo though. Welcome to Naija politics, no respecter of Prof and his certificates.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by omamokta: 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2010
Why are these two making mockery of themselves. They can settle their problems without getting the journalists involved. If they know the amount of money the newspaper houses made from this case, they will keep quiet. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 28, 2010
See two grown ups behaving like kids!

Shame! Shame!! Shame!!!
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by isimili: 12:09am On Jul 29, 2010
Ujujoan summed it up well. shame shame shame!The two are too childish to be allowed into anambra state govt house. they will probably start fighting and humiliating their close family instead of working for anambra state. I expected more from both of them.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by kaycee0604(m): 11:35am On Jul 29, 2010
we will see who the best thief is. Both of them be ole, thief, barawo, (what is thief for igbo put it there) trying to oppress each other with their loots. GOD GO PUNISH ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE STEALING NIGERIA MONEY
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by otokx(m): 11:36am On Jul 29, 2010
what is really the bone of contention?
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Okijajuju1(m): 11:43am On Jul 29, 2010
Ohaneza Indi Igbo needs to step in and sanction both these professors.

They are a shame to the Anambra people and the Igbos in general. angry
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 29, 2010
You guys should take it easy calling them Childish and whatnot (especially for Soludo). In the court of public opinion, silence is taken for guilt. The person that we should castigate is Dora Akunyili - for making it public IN THE FIRST PLACE. It is illogical not to expect a PUBLIC defence from Soludo since Dora chose a PUBLIC attack. Action is always to be blamed, not reaction: the latter is a natural consequence of the former.

But for real this Dora is becoming too lousy for my liking. Already she has demystified herself and lost much of her NAFDAC era credibility. I wouldnt be too surprised if we one day hear that she had an affair with (the notoriously randy) Obasanjo in exchange for favours, and other such sleazy poo. So all that 'madam integrity' nonsense was mere pretense? This is really tragic.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 29, 2010
adigun101:

Look at how low 2 distinguished professors in their various disciplines have sunk because of Money politics.

You said it all. But I think I Soludo is 70% right. But ask for Dora the remaining 30% goes to her and I quote:

Is it not curious that (she) who attended the burial/funeral with blaring sirens and a horde of heavily armed policemen and SSS (State Security Service) personnel would be attacked by ‘thugs’ who also chased her to her village, and to date, there has been no formal report of the incidents or threats in any police station, and there was no arrest of any of the ‘thugs’.

This scenario is very common our amongst our elite politicians especially when at loggerheads.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by reubeno(m): 12:28pm On Jul 29, 2010
Dora is power drunk and if nt call to order will end up like a fig tree. we all saw what happen during the yar'adua era where she lobbyed Turai to get her pencilled down for ministerial appointment by all means, before she was reconfirmed a senator from katsina also accused her of cooking soup for Turai and now she is runing a battle with Soludo. this woman 'Dora' seems to be everywhere fooling her self and she should note that she cann't run Soludo down and she should stop all that politics of thuggery and face reality.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by BabaO2: 12:30pm On Jul 29, 2010
Gentlemen, why castigating Dora?, Soludo is very good at making embellishing fake statements. He is a professor, have u forgotten, he has taken advantage of couple of weeks to cook up what look like convincing statements, but I bet you, there is no 5% truth in all what he has just spilled out.
He's a bold liar.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by chisomquee: 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2010
OMG,
Are these people not in-laws,money indeed is the root of all evil.
Shame,Shame.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Radiant(f): 12:44pm On Jul 29, 2010
pro01:

You guys should take it easy calling them Childish and whatnot (especially for Soludo). In the court of public opinion, silence is taken for guilt. The person that we should castigate is Dora Akunyili - for making it public IN THE FIRST PLACE. It is illogical not to expect a PUBLIC defence from Soludo since Dora chose a PUBLIC attack. Action is always to be blamed, not reaction: the latter is a natural consequence of the former.

Couldn't agree more though this whole saga is a loada crap!
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by bisiaet: 1:04pm On Jul 29, 2010
Guys there is no need castigating Dora for whatever Soludo says Soludo got nothing to say let the two of them sort out their differences and let people have their peace.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by EzeUche(m): 1:11pm On Jul 29, 2010
Why do they have to voice their complaints about each other in public?

I will never understand Anambra politics. However, I don't even understand Igbo politics in general.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Radiant(f): 1:14pm On Jul 29, 2010
EzeUche:

I will never understand Anambra politics. However, I don't even understand Igbo politics in general.

What you on about?
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by EzeUche(m): 1:16pm On Jul 29, 2010
Radiant:

What you on about?

We are discussing politics are we not?

Soludo and Akunyili are being childish are they not?

Why can't they resolve their problem in private?

Now was that so hard for you to comprehend?
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by deor03(m): 1:17pm On Jul 29, 2010
If someone had told me that this would happen 4 years ago; I would have doubted it.

These guys are perceive to be more intelligent than this, but now i wonder if my perception is accurate
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by redsun(m): 1:19pm On Jul 29, 2010
Nigerian professors are proving to be just as crude as average nigerian politicians.Professors that delve into politics are suppose to be pace setters,rule changers for good,messiahs in the form of Obama not not cheap back bitters and deviants.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by Radiant(f): 1:24pm On Jul 29, 2010
EzeUche:

We are discussing politics are we not?

Soludo and Akunyili are being childish are they not?

Why can't they resolve their problem in private?

Now was that so hard for you to comprehend?

You said "Ibo politics" as if only Ibo politicians have issues.
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by gamesb: 1:58pm On Jul 29, 2010
madam akunyili u better know that hard talk does not make u a man . try to live peacefully with ur in - law .
oga soludo stop this exchange of words with ur sister - in - law see on the perception of woman
Re: Soludo Replies Akunyili by BabaO2: 2:04pm On Jul 29, 2010
Akunyili Sacks Two Media Assistants Over Soludo

By Innocent Oweh Correspondent, Abuja

The feud between Minister of Information and Communications, Dora Akunyili, and erstwhile Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Charles Soludo, took a new dimension on Wednesday as the minister fired two of her special assistants on media for allegedly circulating “a malicious statement” about Soludo.

Akunyili was said to have been angered by the development when she returned from a trip abroad to learn of the write-up on the ex-CBN boss, who is also her in-law.

The affected staff include Obi Adindu, Senior Special Assistant on Media to the minister, and Julius Ogunro who got a suspension order.

A statement by Akunyili in Abuja on Wednesday said: “I have just returned from an official trip to China and my attention was drawn to an unauthorised write –up by Mazi Obi Adindu, my Senior Special Assistant, Media, purported to be a response to some earlier defamatory statement by Professor Charles Soludo.

“I feel very embarrassed and saddened by this release issued by my SSA without permission from me. The release is too demeaning and I can’t talk about anybody in that manner no matter the level of provocation.

“I hereby relieve Mazi Obi Adindu of his duty and suspend Julius Ogunro, my media assistant, who used his e-mail to circulate this obnoxious write-up without clearance from me.

“My action which takes effect from this morning is an expression of my utter embarrassment at the response which I consider needlessly abusive, scurrilous and out of character with the values which I am championing in the Nigerian public service.

“My public service culture is driven by an attitude of restraint and tolerance even in the face of the gravest provocation.

“The mild family misunderstanding with Soludo does not warrant the excessive language and substance of Mazi Adindu’s response. I unequivocally dissociate myself from it.”

It will be recalled that Soludo and Akunyili had a misunderstanding during the burial rites of Gloria Ezenwanne, elder sister to the minister and mother-in-law to Soludo.

Both in-laws were alleged to have sowed the seed of discord, following an allegation by Akunyili that the ex-CBN boss hired thugs to disrupt her participation at the burial ceremony of her late sister.

Akunyili had alleged that Soludo accused her of nursing a secret ambition to equally run for the Anambra gubernatorial race.

The development had also prompted Soludo to react, sending malicious statements about the minister.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Victor Olisa, Nigerian-born First Black London Met Police Chief / Re: 8th Most Corrupt Nation-transparency International Refutes Malicious Story / Chimamanda Adichie: The Miraculous Deliverance Of Oga Jona

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.