Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? (906 Views)

I Want To Relocate To Uyo Without Job Assurance / With A Capital Of N2M: Should I Relocate To Europe Or Open A Pharmacy In Nigeria / Kufre Nnah: Meet Millionaire Barber Who Came To Lagos With Only N5000 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 24, 2018
I presently work in Delta and earn 150k monthly. But truthfully I am unhappy with my job for so many reasons ( poor working conditions, no career path or growth in the company, nonalignment of present job with personal career goals).

I recently got an offer in Lagos, where I will be earning the same 150k for a period of six months( the first six months is training) before I'll be absorbed fully into the company after which my offer will be reviewed. The issue I have here is that I don't know how much my offer will be reviewed to after the training, though from my enquiries I can say between 200-220k.

Guys do you think this offer is worth relocating to Lagos for considering the high cost of living and stress in Lagos.

Please I need advice preferably from Lagosians.
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by Emmzy201(m): 10:06am On Nov 24, 2018
Go for it man
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by VeeInsider: 10:22am On Nov 24, 2018
Best you ask about Lagos well.. I can't advise anybody I know to come down here because it's overcrowded.
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by Boldwinner(m): 10:41am On Nov 24, 2018
elnino2015:
I presently work in Delta and earn 150k monthly. But truthfully I am unhappy with my job for so many reasons ( poor working conditions, no career path or growth in the company, nonalignment of present job with personal career goals).

I recently got an offer in Lagos, where I will be earning the same 150k for a period of six months( the first six months is training) before I'll be absorbed fully into the company after which my offer will be reviewed. The issue I have here is that I don't know how much my offer will be reviewed to after the training, though from my enquiries I can say between 200-220k.

Guys do you think this offer is worth relocating to Lagos for considering the high cost of living and stress in Lagos.

A company willing to pay you 150k during your "training" period is really a company that really cares about your welfare considering the reasons you gave earlier on why you don't really like your present Delta job. And they'll definitely pay you much higher than that after the six months of training.

It's definitely worth the move. But first you must figure out the location of the company and make enquiries about accommodation, so you can plan your movement around it.

The biggest challenge here in Lagos is traffic, so you must be living somewhere close to your place of work if you don't like stress.

#my2kobo

2 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by Boldwinner(m): 10:42am On Nov 24, 2018
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by pocohantas(f): 10:55am On Nov 24, 2018
This is my exact situation, my former job which did pay well, didn't offer me a clear career path. If it were for the money, I would have stayed back, but I had my eyes on another sector. The moment the opportunity came up, I dropped my resignation letter without a second thought.

A move I don't regret, yet cheesy.

If your new job offers good career development or a step in the right direction, make that move. For them to pay 150k during training, they will do a whole lot more when you are fully in.

Here is what I have noticed about Lagos. Most offices are on the Island. If you wanna live on the Island, you have to be ready to part with good cash. If you stay on the mainland, you will sacrifice your sleep and spend one-third of your life in traffic.

So, Where is the company situated?
*Do you have anyone living around there or in Lagos as a whole?
*How easily can you connect to the office from where the person stays?
*Does the organization have a staff bus that plies that route?
*How much do you have saved up? because you will need money, before you learn the ropes and how to survive on less.

Your relationship will most likely suffer, you will suffer...then you will adapt grin

Lagos is like a rat race, you just keep working, spending and barely saving. Basically you are just existing, especially for young ones like us. But good thing is, you meet people and opportunities abound. The environment stimulates you, you just want to be the best you can be...because everyone is on the move here.

If you do move to Lagos, don't get consumed by the life there. Save, leave Lagos girls alone, keep a low profile, don't stop developing yourself...take certifications, acquire skills.

Please don't look at all these Lagos boys. They will make you rethink your life, with their Benz, brogues, beards and fitted pants. Just face your life jeje, you will be fine.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 24, 2018
pocohantas:
This is my exact situation, my former job which did pay well, didn't offer me a clear career path. If it were for the money, I would have stayed back, but I had my eyes on another sector. So, the moment the opportunity came up, I dropped my resignation letter without a second thought.

This is a move I don't regret.

If your new job offers good career development, make that move. For them to pay 150k during training, they will do a whole lot more when you are fully in.

Here is what I have noticed about Lagos. Most offices are on the Island. If you wanna live on the Island, you have to be ready to part with good cash. If you stay on the mainland, you will sacrifice your sleep and spend one-third of your life in traffic.

So, Where is the company situated?
*Do you have anyone living around there or in Lagos as a whole?
*How easily can you connect to the office from where the person stays?
*Does the organization have a staff bus that plies that route?
*How much do you have saved up? because you will need money before you learn the ropes and how to survive on less.

Your relationship will most likely suffer, you will suffer...then you will adapt grin

Lagos is like a rat race, you just keep working, spending and barely saving. Basically you are just existing, especially for young ones like us. But good thing is, you meet people and opportunities abound. The environment stimulates you, you just want to be the best you can be...because everyone is on the move here.

Please don't look at all these Lagos boys o. They will make you rethink your life, with their Benz, brogues, beards and fitted pants. Just face your life jeje, you will be fine.

Thanks a lot for ur advice
Re: Should I Relocate To Lagos For This? by OmniSparrow: 7:39am On Nov 25, 2018
elnino2015:

Are you a fellow MO? Abeg make we reason how we wan run leave this woman.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

H / Free Digital Marketing Training For Churches, Mosques, Institutions Etc. / Cashout Methods To Make Lots Of Money From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.