Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? (491 Views)

Winners’ Chapel: Nigerians Cite Parable Of The Talent Over Pastors’ Sacking / MKO Tibetan: Funke Felix-Adejumo Is Playing With Sudden Death Over Dollar Seeds / Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? by SIMPLYkush: 9:55am On Nov 25, 2018
I really want to know what the fuss is all about. I really don't know if a pastor is responsible for building schools, hospitals and road networks for the citizens of a country. Nigeria as a country is lacking behind in many aspects, and people won't channel there frustrations to the government, but to the men of God.
And who says building of churches doesnt provide employment to people?
The recent glory dome built by Dr Paul enenche has school, hospitals, and many modern facilities to employ people directly or indirectly...
So why the fuss?
Has anybody question you for building a house for your family before? why didn't you build industries and schools instead of house for your family?

1 Like

Re: Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? by Davidgr8(m): 9:59am On Nov 25, 2018
They are not mandated but I think they should if they can.
Re: Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? by DannyTheBeloved: 10:48am On Nov 25, 2018
that won't change anything the church of God would keep matching on and the gate of hell won't prevail against it. Since when did pastors and church became responsible for the failures of politicians and the present state of this country," Are your rich pastors the politicians you voted into offices to fix your economic problems?"
And did any of the rich pastors put a gun to anybody's head to add to their account balance? see let me tell you guys something this church being built in the midst of the poor economy of this country is a clear sign that the church does not operate on an earthly economy but on an economy from heaven. You can keep hating but that won't change anything, the church is matching on, so you can chose to be the gate of hell that would never prevail or you can align with the church that would always prevail.

1 Like

Re: Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? by DeSepiero(m): 12:10pm On Nov 25, 2018
Economy of heaven indeed, clown ^^
Re: Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? by HigherEd: 2:40pm On Nov 25, 2018
Factories and churches are not correlational - the existence of one doesn't hinder the other. Technically, Nigeria can afford to build thousands of factories even with thousands of churches in place.
Yet the total removal of every single church in Nigeria would not add a single factory into Nigeria so i wonder why every single church dedication sparks debate about industralization.

Church Funding is Private -
The funding of the church comes from an association of people who agree to fund christian activities. The scorecard of the church in acheiving this is quite debatable, even, the expectations of what church funds should be used for is arguable within the confines of Christianedom. But certainly, it is undebatable that the church has no biblical mandate that insist that it must build industries.

"Is The Church Afraid Of Taxation?"
I have heard many assert that churches avoid industries to avoid taxes but yet it is totally incorrect and false.
1) Churches pay taxes: Nigerian indigenous churches e.g Winners, RCCG etc exist in multiple countries. Some of those countries require taxes while others don't.
2) Church schools pay taxes: Covenant university pays millions in CITtaxes under it's Strategic Business Units. Yet, that doesn't make Winners Chapel's income taxable.
Therefore the creation of industries wouldn't make a church taxable, rather the industries themselves would pay taxes.

Why Churches Build Schools Rather Than Industries:

I have not seen the factory built by Pope francis neither have i seen the one built by Archbishop welby of England
People underestimate the importance of assimilated culture. Christianity as practiced today in Nigeria is an importation from Europe and the USA. While these foreign churches built thousands of hospitals and schools there is a total snub on industralization. The assumption is that schools gives the church the opportunity to impart the gospel into young people at a developmental age while teaching them secular subjects.

The Divine Mandate
Listen to Oyedepo, Sam Adeyemi, Enenche, Ibeoymie etc and you would hear pastors who are thorough advocates of entrepreneurship and capitalism. Many of them take business classes and consistently talk about the importance of businesses to the individual and the economy. But one wonders why these pastors never get into businesses themselves. Could it be that God doesn't want His Churches to delve in that direction?

Industralization May Shift Church Focus:
At the core of commercialization is profitability, at the core of the Church is the Gospel. For the church, money is a means to an end and not the end itself. If the church goes into building companies, then the church may just lose its meaning.

1 Like

Re: Why The Sudden Fuss Over Pastors Building Churches? by princfred(m): 5:01pm On Nov 25, 2018
HigherEd:
Factories and churches are not correlational - the existence of one doesn't hinder the other. Technically, Nigeria can afford to build thousands of factories even with thousands of churches in place.
Yet the total removal of every single church in Nigeria would not add a single factory into Nigeria so i wonder why every single church dedication sparks debate about industralization.

Church Funding is Private -
The funding of the church comes from an association of people who agree to fund christian activities. The scorecard of the church in acheiving this is quite debatable, even, the expectations of what church funds should be used for is arguable within the confines of Christianedom. But certainly, it is undebatable that the church has no biblical mandate that insist that it must build industries.

"Is The Church Afraid Of Taxation?"
I have heard many assert that churches avoid industries to avoid taxes but yet it is totally incorrect and false.
1) Churches pay taxes: Nigerian indigenous churches e.g Winners, RCCG etc exist in multiple countries. Some of those countries require taxes while others don't.
2) Church schools pay taxes: Covenant university pays millions in CITtaxes under it's Strategic Business Units. Yet, that doesn't make Winners Chapel's income taxable.
Therefore the creation of industries wouldn't make a church taxable, rather the industries themselves would pay taxes.

Why Churches Build Schools Rather Than Industries:

I have not seen the factory built by Pope francis neither have i seen the one built by Archbishop welby of England
People underestimate the importance of assimilated culture. Christianity as practiced today in Nigeria is an importation from Europe and the USA. While these foreign churches built thousands of hospitals and schools there is a total snub on industralization. The assumption is that schools gives the church the opportunity to impart the gospel into young people at a developmental age while teaching them secular subjects.

The Divine Mandate
Listen to Oyedepo, Sam Adeyemi, Enenche, Ibeoymie etc and you would hear pastors who are thorough advocates of entrepreneurship and capitalism. Many of them take business classes and consistently talk about the importance of businesses to the individual and the economy. But one wonders why these pastors never get into businesses themselves. Could it be that God doesn't want His Churches to delve in that direction?

Industralization May Shift Church Focus:
At the core of commercialization is profitability, at the core of the Church is the Gospel. For the church, money is a means to an end and not the end itself. If the church goes into building companies, then the church may just lose its meaning.

What is the difference between building industries for commercial purpose/gains and building schools for that? There are a many other mon -profit things the church can do to impact society other than the two for gains. Missionaries and apostles changed the world effectively without profit driven ventures. That's Christianity and the power of charity/humanitarianism that is missing (as its not the major practical focus) and limiting the ability of African Christianity to fundamentally improve/impact Africa. Hence where do people practically learn not to over clink to their gettings and reduce covetousness?

(1) (Reply)

Fellowship Of Christian Students,futminna / 11 Questions To Ask Before You Hug Any Man / Walking With God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.