Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Random Questions & Answers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Random Questions & Answers (6086 Views)

All Job Interview Questions/answers Covered - Get The Free Ebook / DOWNLOAD “ACCA PAST EXAMS QUESTIONS & ANSWERS” @ ₦0.00 / 50 Interview Questions/answers That Will Help You Succeed In That Interview. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Random Questions & Answers by asha80(m): 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2010
I have seen you comment on some threads that you used to be a big fan of the rush to study abroad but you have changed your mind about that and in fact you said that you now actually regret thinking in that direction.

Why the mind change?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2010
asha 80:

I have seen you comment on some threads that you used to be a big fan of the rush to study abroad but you have changed your mind about that and in fact you said that you now actually regret thinking in that direction.

Why the mind change?

LOL grin @ you actually started a thread for this?

Well, it's simple. The rush to study abroad by Nigerians, I have found, is really a rush to go abroad permanently. Which is understandable, given the state of our nation. There are very few opportunities, and way too many people struggling for them. So it is really understandable and I don't criticise or judge that decision.

School used to be an easy route to the wider opportunities in Britain and the US. But now, especially as almost everyone is going abroad to get an MBA, people need to think twice before paying upwards of N5m and above, less living expenses, with no guarantees of post-study jobs either here or abroad. Especially if you're not from rich folks who can afford to pay any amount to send you to Harvard or Insead, and are even connected enough to find you that top job.

The next thing I guess would be, what would I advise as an alternative? Well, that one is tough, because everyone is trying to be rich. I can't really help there. But if you need a job, I bet you can find one here. It may not be a top job. But you have to have something you want to do.
If your ambition is to work in Goldman Sachs, and you have the funds for your Ivy League MBA, fine. It may or may not work out as per your plan. But if it doesn't, know you have only yourself to blame. But don't gamble with your resources.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 10:28pm On Jul 28, 2010
The whole thing is now really ridiculous.

Schools in UK are shamelessly marketing in Nigeria like anything. I saw an ad today in the paper, something like 'sign up your friends and get one course free!' or the LSBF's 'Register for CIMA, get a free MBA thrown in!'. What nonsense.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by asha80(m): 10:40pm On Jul 28, 2010
AjanleKoko:

The whole thing is now really ridiculous.

Schools in UK are shamelessly marketing in Nigeria like anything. I saw an ad today in the paper, something like 'sign up your friends and get one course free!' or the LSBF's 'Register for CIMA, get a free MBA thrown in!'. What nonsense.

I saw a similar thing yesterday hence this thread.It just seems to me that these foreign univeristies are just seeing nigeria as just some kind of market to look for funds.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by olaolabiy: 12:27am On Jul 29, 2010
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 7:28am On Jul 29, 2010
ola olabiy:

whether you guys like it or not, the said craze will continue. it has become a cultural one. remember when they used to talk about awolowo's first-international-lawyer son?
they have used it to fool us for a long time. nigerians talk about academic qualifications and not capabilities. this is a fact. these Western qualifications are prestigious to an average nigerian. they are, in fact, representative of your status in some circles. hence the rush for them. I am about to start an MBA in a british uni.
you guys may not want them, but they mean something pretty big in naija. this is the story of naija. these days, you are looked down upon  without multiple degrees. imagine them asking for degree holders as president. of what use exactly? most if not all those who studied abroad are successful in nigeria today.
you know this as you work for an MNC.

You no lie at all.

But you know what? People are doing their bachelors and masters in Nigeria, and getting jobs in the same MNCs. In fact, I'll tell you something. Long gone are those days where they will give you a title and a huge salary, just because you have a foreign degree. You enter from the bottom just like everyone else.

A few times, if you're well-connected, and ready to lie about your work experience abroad, you might get a position. I recently had an interview with someone who claimed to have worked in top media organizations in the US, like Time Warner. Obviously the person didn't know that we all use LinkedIn in Nigeria. When I looked up the person's profile. Na only intern for one unheard-of TV station in Kansas dey the person profile. The profile was only recently updated to reflect the new job in Naija. That's not an isolated occurence, I have seen  many instances of falsified foreign work experience. Some years back,  many people were let go in my place of work, after a background check was conducted on all staff.

So at the end of the day, the fundamentals are what matters. If you didn't do well in Nigeria at undergrad level, and think a foreign MBA will help cover your tracks, you're in for a big surprise. If you wan relocate, just find a way to do that. This thing is not kalo kalo undecided
Re: Random Questions & Answers by tkb417(m): 9:26am On Jul 29, 2010
You no lie at all.

But you know what? People are doing their bachelors and masters in Nigeria, and getting jobs in the same MNCs. In fact, I'll tell you something. Long gone are those days where they will give you a title and a huge salary, just because you have a foreign degree. You enter from the bottom just like everyone else.

Gbam!!!!!!
Re: Random Questions & Answers by DisGuy: 10:11am On Jul 29, 2010
Best advice

Get some Work experience under your belt after your Bsc and or Msc
Have a time frame if you are planning to study abroad
Dont apply to universities that advertise in Nigeria!!!
and please ignore colleges or lsbf type school
Re: Random Questions & Answers by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 29, 2010
@Ajanlekoko: but you are an advocate of having a Global Career via international certifications which for me can be likened to a foreign Masters

Besides are you a CIMA student/member?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by olaolabiy: 10:57am On Jul 29, 2010
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 1:01pm On Jul 29, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^^^
he also once said that HND (a qualification that requires 5-year post-secondary education) are nothing thes days. yet, he sees nothing in western/foreign degrees that are valued all over the world and are truely international. by the time he tries to get an international job, he'd discover the need.
nigerian unis are not even the best in sub-saharan africa.
well, he's got a good job already.

I decided to start from your comment.
First let me clarify again. My grouse is not with foreign degrees. My grouse is with the mad rush by Nigerians for foreign degrees. Sebi you read the first post? See again below.

asha 80:

Why the mind change?

By the way, even with substandard Nigerian degrees, Nigerians are getting foreign jobs. At least in my sector (telecom) and in oil and gas. Even finance sef. Many of the guys who started out in Naija telecoms in 2001 are now working with Ericsson, ALU and Nokia Siemens all over the world.
Those chaps have something better than even foreign degrees; they have relevant work experience.

All the hundreds of thousand of Nigerians that are jetting out with their hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars Euros to schools like LSBF after a mediocre undergrad degree in Nigeria, how many employers are falling over themselves in Nigeria and abroad, struggling to hire them?

Dis Guy:

Best advice

Get some Work experience under your belt after your Bsc and or Msc
Have a time frame if you are planning to study abroad
Dont apply to universities that advertise in Nigeria!!!
and please ignore colleges or lsbf type school

This is the best advice, as far as I'm concerned.

aniiseg:

@Ajanlekoko: but you are an advocate of having a Global Career via international certifications which for me can be likened to a foreign Masters
Besides are you a CIMA student/member?

Again, this is not the same thing. For avoidance of doubt, I am totally against 'the rush to study abroad', to paraphrase asha, not foreign qualifications. I am totally in support of getting relevant qualifications, whether they be local or foreign. I'm even a fan of international certifications and other international qualifications. After all, we're in a global village.

That CIMA runs, how did you know that?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2010

Just suspected

Am a student member

I the reply above means that you are a member, are u attending the CIMA networking event this evening?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 2:17pm On Jul 29, 2010
aniiseg:

Just suspected

Am a student member

I the reply above means that you are a member, are u attending the CIMA networking event this evening?

No I'm not. I never confirmed the invite. I think one was supposed to RSVP by Monday.
Enjoy the cocktails.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 29, 2010
Hmnnnnn Engineering to Management Accounting is really a long shot wink wink

Well! in case you need help with studying, u could drop a line

it will be cool to rub minds with someone who knows his onions
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 3:05pm On Jul 29, 2010
^^
No wahala.
What's your YIM, or do you have Skype?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by sharpman1(m): 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2010
aniiseg:

Hmnnnnn  Engineering to Management Accounting is really a long shot wink wink

You'll be surprised that Engineers tend to do better than even people who studied Accounting in Accounting related professional exams.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by sharpman1(m): 5:31pm On Jul 29, 2010
Meanwhile. . . . .

In terms of a foreign degree. . . . . . .u can't go wrong with an Havard MBA . . . . . . . and money should not be a consideration before you apply.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by NobiGod: 7:05pm On Jul 29, 2010
^Why money shouldn't be a consideration before applying to Harvard?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 7:47pm On Jul 29, 2010
Abi o. Harvard na beans?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by asha80(m): 7:52pm On Jul 29, 2010
Maybe im popsi na dangote undecided
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AlexD2: 7:56pm On Jul 29, 2010
The belief that just having a foreign degree automatically puts you on a pedestal is laughable and at best naive.  

Don’t get me wrong, a foreign degree has its advantages; like being able to compete internationally right off the bat, you’ve got a better chance of working for McKinsey or Bain straight out of university than a Nigerian counterpart who will most likely need years of excellent work performance to do that. You also get more opportunities than in Nigeria to develop soft skills through numerous projects and extra-curricular activities which to my friends in Nigerian Universities only mean taking ICAN lessons and partying. A foreign degree also gives you credibility when you want to strike out on your own especially if you went to a top school and got top grades.

A foreign degree isn’t an end in itself, it’s the leverage and opportunities it provides to build your skill set that makes it valuable. Spending £20,000 a year just so you can get a foreign degree is so not worth it, a strategy has to accompany it. I’ll rather employ someone from OAU or Nsukka than a graduate from a D-level UK  university with no experience.

My personal opinion is with a foreign degree, work abroad for a few years, get a strong track record, get professional qualifications which you can do while working and then think of jumping into mid- positions in Nigeria with a fast-track to C-level exec.

sharp man:

Meanwhile. . . . .

In terms of a foreign degree. . . . . . .u can't go wrong with an Havard MBA . . . . . . . and money should not be a consideration before you apply.

I’ve got a rule of thumb that you should only take 2 years out to do an MBA if
i) you've plateaued at your current job and want a fresh challenge
ii) that’s the only thing stopping you from being considered for a management position
iii) you are guaranteed a job after. No use having CFA, MBA, ACA and still be stuck in back office.

For high flyers, taking two years out to study what you can learn on the job or for the network is not worth it, it could mean up to $500,000 in forgone earnings. Instead of a Harvard MBA, I’d prefer to get the company pay for one of Harvard’s comprehensive leadership programmes, that way you get the Harvard prestige, the teachings, don’t take years off work and get an even stronger network as everyone in the programme is already a high achiever and executive bound in large organisations.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by sharpman1(m): 8:18pm On Jul 29, 2010
NobiGod:

^Why money shouldn't be a consideration before applying to Harvard?

AjanleKoko:

Abi o. Harvard na beans?

[/quote][quote author=asha 80 link=topic=487183.msg6475149#msg6475149 date=1280429520]
Maybe im popsi na dangote  undecided

The most important thing is to try as much as possible to be considered and taken in for the program and money is usually not considered at this stage.

The school can arrange funding after that if you can't afford it (at a relatively low interest) but you will have to pay back after your studies.

The focus is to make sure you meet their requirements first and getting an offer for admission as against giving up because you think you can't afford it.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by NobiGod: 8:47am On Jul 30, 2010
^
Now I see your point. However, I have seen some Harvard MBA grad resume with not too great job-
like marketing manager, logistic/procurement manager, financial analyst in less known companies.
Since our emphasis is on financing the MBA, I will ignore the elitism of said jobs but emphasize
on ROI. How many years would it take you to repay $100k plus interest? Also remember the lost salaries
( Harvard never admits jobless applicants othewise it would be plausible).
Methink it would be wise to be pragmatic about such things.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 9:36am On Jul 30, 2010
Hmm.
Truth be told, a Harvard MBA will cost much more than $200k.
I know a couple of peeps, one did Harvard, the other did Columbia MBA. They are back in Naija doing their old jobs.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by aieromon(m): 11:21am On Jul 30, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Bingo!!!I had a feeling it was you cos i saw your name in a newspaper ad.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by NobiGod: 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
Truth be told, a Harvard MBA will cost much more than[b] $200k.[/b]
I know a couple of peeps, one did Harvard, the other did Columbia MBA. They are back in Naija doing their old jobs.

That is crazy!!!
Re: Random Questions & Answers by aieromon(m): 1:06pm On Jul 30, 2010
Some people acquire knowledge while some know what to do with the acquired knowledge.You should clearly set your career goals before you venture into such,except,well you just want the prestige and the 1 second camera,lights,action stuff.
We love degrees and professional examinations a lot.I can't blame anybody - the system pushes us to go for paper even when we cannot guarantee the long term benefits.I prefer work experience in a reputable company with facilitated training programmes to theoretical experience.Oh gosh,am really a hypocrite.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 3:23pm On Jul 30, 2010
Actually I differ. We always talk about the system pushing us to do this and that, but really these requirements are created by you and me.
For example, one chap with a first class degree becomes head of department in an MNC. For reasons bordering on purely vanity, he decides to only hire first class graduates in his team.
At the end of the day they spend so much time on self-adulation that they completely abort the business objectives.
No company asks their HOUR to go about collecting trophy resumes, unless it is crucial to the bottom line (like in the case of consulting). Rather these nuances are created by the people they hire, who become so comfortable in these organizations that they simply start creating their own bourgeoise fantasies!
Re: Random Questions & Answers by sharpman1(m): 5:31pm On Jul 30, 2010
The job market is highly competitive.

An employer asks for individuals with a first class degree, a professional qualification, minimum of 2 yrs work experience and maximum age of 24 and you can be sure 'a thousand and one' people will apply for the position even when there are two slots available.

That is one of the reasons (i think) we have the craze for all sorts of academic and professional qualifications (foreign or local) and because we can't really verify performance on the job till you actually start working, the paper qualifications are usually used to judge at the first instance.
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2010
aieromon:

My real name is not AjanleKoko na. Wetin you see for paper?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 30, 2010

My real name is not AjanleKoko na. Wetin you see for paper? Huh

grin grin grin

^^^Did u get my mail?
Re: Random Questions & Answers by AjanleKoko: 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2010
aniiseg:

^^^Did u get my mail?
Yeah. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

First Bank Pay Now 2.2 Million Naira? / Acca or Ican / Global Meltdown: I Have Just Been Sacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.