Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? (11167 Views)

Your Experiences With Chinese Bosses As Nigerians / Why Are Some Bosses Heartless? / Some Bosses Wont Let Go Of Their Staff, While The Bosses Are Observing Social D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by wunmi590(m): 9:56am On Nov 29, 2018
Kwenty:

Chai! person don suffer for this country. So many bosses are like that; some even slap or beat up their employees. Well, will you blame them when there is no employee protection in Nigeria. God dey.

My brother, thats the kind of situation we find ourselves
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Kendrick80(m): 10:13am On Nov 29, 2018
kimbraa:
Employees need to be comfortable in their place of work, and they don't have to fear the employers. There's difference between fear and respect. When you fear someone, the person becomes unapproachable which isn't supposed to be in work place.
Sadly that's what u find in most working environment.
There isn't strict labour laws to protect employees.Most times its money talks and bs takes d bus.Cheers
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Worksunlimited: 11:38am On Nov 29, 2018
kimbraa:
I find this mostly in Nigerian bosses. Could it be that it's because this country is lawless? That someone is working for you doesn't make them your slave.

I'm on a two months break from school, I told myself that I was going to improve on what I knew how to do best, and that's braiding. Of which, I've never paid money to learn. I got a nice place, so to say, not far from where I live, today made me a month in the job and I'm planning on resigning first thing tomorrow morning. It's not that I haven't worked before, but this is the worse of the people I've worked with. She's a classical case of 'Being educated, but acting crude'. She's very unreasonable, abuses her staff mostly when there are customers and I don't know if it's the boss factor that enters her head.

Resumption time is 7:30 of which you must not be late, else, she'd call and abuse you no matter the reason while you can close at any time from 7pm if there are no customers. As you get into the saloon from that 7:30, you're to start working 'till 7pm and at most 10pm for peanuts as salary; Isn't that over working your employees?

What prompted this thread isn't my boss, but another guy who came to the saloon where I work to report his boss to my boss. His own boss compares him to her 15years old son when he makes mistakes and on the process of correcting him, my co-workers told him to endure her bullshiit.

Why are we Nigerians thought to endure in toxic environments? Seems some people have been so used to verbal and emotional abuse from parents to siblings to friends to bosses that we now assume it's normal. If you can't endure abuse, then you can't be a great person. I don't buy such philosophy. If your work environment is toxic, then change it. Nobody holds the key to your destiny, but you, and there's no way one's destiny would be tied to a toxic boss.

So, here is my question; is it right to work with a boss that abuses you? Some would say; work with them if you know why you're there. Do they have monopoly in what took you there?

Its so annoying... The job availability climate too isn't helping
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Casemiro(m): 11:46am On Nov 29, 2018
Ayoswit:
Female bosses are the worst, from my experience though.

tell them o

choi cheesy
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by millionboi2: 11:49am On Nov 29, 2018
godfrey01:
let the truth be said. if you are a boss will you pay someone who doesnt work to your satisfaction. I am not a boss yet but I believe one day I will be a boss of my own. and its not new that this message is coming from a female. there is one thing I have noticed abt some females in the work environment. one, they have I don't care attitude and some of them are very very very lazy. they just come to work, any little chance they have, they will be watching movies on their phone, laughing some silly provoking laughs... Give some of them a task to do, they will start fawning their face like sheat.. But I have learnt one thing working with the and that is tolerance and anger management.... so for those boss who are abusive, the summary is that they don't tolerate nonsense and they go angry very easily...
God bless u

Thy sld go open thy own simple
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by millionboi2: 11:51am On Nov 29, 2018
Eagba:
remembered when I was working with ma boss n I was his most efficient staff, I drop the mic and bounce the first day he told me to shut up. ( well I guess that's what I do in any place I work, being their best staff but don't take any insult). From childhood I don't allow anyone or anything that affects my self-esteem. Though I'm my own boss and I have staffs. DROPS MIC
hope you now know how it feels
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by millionboi2: 12:00pm On Nov 29, 2018
daveP:
Totally right.

But then again, I discovered that if their pastor or Imam touches the issue of treating employees right, almost 9/10 succumb Instanta. Which means that these peeps need a higher authority to rest their factory setting. So these guys need to emphasize it weekly so it would reduce.

It's these same madams that would enter church and give testimony that get some kine k-leg, and somehow, only the smart can code that these are Wickid, mean bosses to their employees.

I guess it's in the genes of most females.

That's how they do house helps too. They do it to their own dead blood sister/brother's kid(hot iron, chaining, etc), so why won't they attempt being mean on someone that isn't blood? It's a pitiable situo.

I discovered this bad treatment is prevalent in the salon business managed by females.
u ppl are also at fault

Not wen thy is no sale/service u ppl will b happy watching movies and gistin.....
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by joshuaudom(m): 12:21pm On Nov 29, 2018
vingeophysicist:
Really making money in this country is very hard .so you don't really need to blame them oo.

This message goes out to even the employer and the employee.

Making money in this country is not as difficult as you think, it does not call for wickeding your staffs, someone with a good skill set and who knows where to advertise it to get clients, will not run out of job.

I own a business where I employed eight staffs, I don't insult my staffs rather I will look for a way to motivate them to work smart not hard and bring in more customers in other to earn incentives.

I change my perspective towards my staffs the day I read a book authored by Dale Carnegie "How to win friends and influence people" that book change how I treat people around me even in my business place.

If they do something wrong, I will first off all call them out and address them by telling them of all the good job they have been doing which has help us to achieved so much, and finally i'll tell them what they did wrong and how it will badly affect us and put us out of business as we will not like our competitors to take our clients from us, that the client belong to us.

I always tell them the business belong to all of us we will all share the pain and the gain that we may cause the business, I make them share the responsibility. I let them know when we make profit and when we lost. The whole idea is I praised them in public but constructively criticize them in private.

Remember I use the word "us" a lot, let them feel among, so even if they are thinking anything bad, it is not because they are paying you back for any wickedness that you have done to them.

With this being done, they must have a good reason before leaving your company.

Good luck to you.

If you are looking for a business to do even while trying to quite your job, kindly check my signature for my 3 in 1 promo.

Joshua Udom

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 29, 2018
millionboi2:
u ppl are also at fault

Not wen thy is no sale/service u ppl will b happy watching movies and gistin.....
Stop this nonsense about employees watching movies while there is no sales. If you must make sales; why not hire a marketer? Would a cleaner be doing the job of a marketer?
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Eagba(m): 2:49pm On Nov 29, 2018
millionboi2:
hope you now know how it feels
I try to stay proactive.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2018
wunmi590:
My sister, that's the situation we found ourselves now.

I am resently in a similar situation, where both the MD (the mother) and the operations/Hr manager (which is the daughter) are very rude, abusive, they believe the little change they are paying you, they can lord over and use and also talk to you any how.

I created a thread about similar things, though from the advice I got from some people here, I had to withdraw my resignation letter.

But yesterday was the hight of it, I was called a basterd, told that they have been told that all island boys are always Agbero, that I am an agbero boy. (that was the statement from a suppose HR manager).

If not that I have not been paid this month salary, I would just carry my bag and leave immediately, but, that company is a place where once you leave or resign, without your salary, you will not be paid.

This December is my last month there by the special grace of God.

You can go through my thread and see.

You that knows where the shoe pinches took advise from nairalanders...chai...the worst advisers in the whole world. They’ve not finished sorting themselves and you brought your case. 99.9% of nairalanders have slavery in their dna if you don’t know. That’s why they are still shouting articulated and buhari. Don’t ever come to Nairaland for advise again, talking from experience. It’s filled with broken people who have low self esteem and confidence. They are all mouth and no action, and a big part of Nigeria’s problems.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 29, 2018
ikezuora4689:
u have two options....u can re-sign nw....or u can jst cool down and learn want u came to learn..... even though ur boss insult you....don't feel bad...jst be focus on want u came to do ....insult wont last forever....bt knowledge we last and fetch you money forever.... this is the same advice my mom gave me when I went to stay with my blood brother....I call that house house of insult and humiliation ....I remember crying most nights to bed....bt after years of insult am doing fine nw....own my own business....my own house....my own car.... nobody dear insult me nw.... even though my brother nw treat me with utmost respect.... nothing lasts forever

Pls before using your story as a reference to advise people, check if the circumstance is similar. Firstly, he was your blood brother. That’s a big difference. Secondly, you had a lot to gain. What makes you think the guy you are advising isn’t just there because of the salary. Do you think it’s every job they learn new things? Most of these employers will not even put you through a single training all the years you work for them. You will have to learn everything on your own via the use of internet. So pls, advice better.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by ikezuora4689(m): 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2018
Hipsofagoddess:

Pls before using your story as a reference to advise people, check if the circumstance is similar. Firstly, he was your blood brother. That’s a big difference. Secondly, you had a lot to gain. What makes you think the guy you are advising isn’t just there because of the salary. Do you think it’s every job they learn new things? Most of these employers will not even put you through a single training all the years you work for them. You will have to learn everything on your own via the use of internet. So pls, advice better.
u are in a hurry to quote me.....if you go through my post u will see I said she have two options.....to resign or stay and learn what she came for.....am not telling her to follow my foot step.....we have different destiny....... lolzzz u said I stayed with my blood brother....I don't blame you cause u don't knw my story.....there is a Igbo proverb that said....a friend outside is a better than a brother at home
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by wunmi590(m): 6:06pm On Nov 29, 2018
Hipsofagoddess:

You that knows where the shoe pinches took advise from nairalanders...chai...the worst advisers in the whole world. They’ve not finished sorting themselves and you brought your case. 99.9% of nairalanders have slavery in their dna if you don’t know. That’s why they are still shouting articulated and buhari. Don’t ever come to Nairaland for advise again, talking from experience. It’s filled with broken people who have low self esteem and confidence. They are all mouth and no action, and a big part of Nigeria’s problems.

Thank you very much
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 29, 2018
ikezuora4689:
u are in a hurry to quote me.....if you go through my post u will see I said she have two options.....to resign or stay and learn what she came for.....am not telling her to follow my foot step.....we have different destiny....... lolzzz u said I stayed with my blood brother....I don't blame you cause u don't knw my story.....there is a Igbo proverb that said....a friend outside is a better than a brother at home

You elaborated on the reason why she shouldn’t resign and said nothing on why she should because you were in a hurry to tell your mistake. I’m only saying before you advise people, ask the necessary questions. Some weak minded people might take your advise even when walking in an establishment that leads to nowhere.

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 29, 2018
ikezuora4689:

You elaborated on the reason why she shouldn’t resign and said nothing on why she should because you were in a hurry to tell your mistake. I’m only saying before you advise people, ask the necessary questions. Some weak minded people might take your advise even when walking in an establishment that leads to nowhere.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 29, 2018
daveP:
Totally right.

But then again, I discovered that if their pastor or Imam touches the issue of treating employees right, almost 9/10 succumb Instanta. Which means that these peeps need a higher authority to rest their factory setting. So these guys need to emphasize it weekly so it would reduce.

It's these same madams that would enter church and give testimony that get some kine k-leg, and somehow, only the smart can code that these are Wickid, mean bosses to their employees.

I guess it's in the genes of most females.

That's how they do house helps too. They do it to their own dead blood sister/brother's kid(hot iron, chaining, etc), so why won't they attempt being mean on someone that isn't blood? It's a pitiable situo.

I discovered this bad treatment is prevalent in the salon business managed by females.

And if they treat them the same way they’ll be screaming domestic violence

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by daveP(m): 9:14pm On Nov 29, 2018
Hipsofagoddess:

And if they treat them the same way they’ll be screaming domestic violence
Very ironic!
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by daveP(m): 9:17pm On Nov 29, 2018
millionboi2:
u ppl are also at fault

you people

Did I tell you I'm working for them or what?

Even work places with systematic schedules have some time loops that you can't but be idle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UAC Of Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment / Edo To Recruit 10,000 Teachers Into Civil Service —SUBEB CHAIR / Tips: How To Say Sorry When Running Late For An Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.