Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,027 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? (11163 Views)

Your Experiences With Chinese Bosses As Nigerians / Why Are Some Bosses Heartless? / Some Bosses Wont Let Go Of Their Staff, While The Bosses Are Observing Social D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
ikezuora4689:
u have two options....u can re-sign nw....or u can jst cool down and learn want u came to learn..... even though ur boss insult you....don't feel bad...jst be focus on want u came to do ....insult wont last forever....bt knowledge we last and fetch you money forever.... this is the same advice my mom gave me when I went to stay with my blood brother....I call that house house of insult and humiliation ....I remember crying most nights to bed....bt after years of insult am doing fine nw....own my own business....my own house....my own car.... nobody dear insult me nw.... even though my brother nw treat me with utmost respect.... nothing lasts forever

Very sensible comment!!! grin

Please loud it! Turn it up! Let more people hear.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Askmewhy(m): 10:59pm On Nov 28, 2018
Oh boy! We saw this everyday where I work, I also have a boss that will insult you and your origin and ask stupid questions and expecting u to answer

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by LyfeJennings(m): 11:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
I had to resign from my last job cos of my crazy boss.
He is always into my nose and business
Idiot said I should be the last to close.
I cant go on leave like my colleagues just cos I'm the most junior staff on the team
That guy was so manipulative. & he is very smart at playing mind games.
When I was already having sleepless nights and feeling all bitter.
I just got fed up one day and went to drop my resignation letter.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by LyfeJennings(m): 11:04pm On Nov 28, 2018
ikezuora4689:
u have two options....u can re-sign nw....or u can jst cool down and learn want u came to learn..... even though ur boss insult you....don't feel bad...jst be focus on want u came to do ....insult wont last forever....bt knowledge we last and fetch you money forever.... this is the same advice my mom gave me when I went to stay with my blood brother....I call that house house of insult and humiliation ....I remember crying most nights to bed....bt after years of insult am doing fine nw....own my own business....my own house....my own car.... nobody dear insult me nw.... even though my brother nw treat me with utmost respect.... nothing lasts forever

It takes a superhuman to endure all of that
I mean it's very very hard

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by themanderon: 11:05pm On Nov 28, 2018
Truth is most Nigerians are naturally wicked, envious, full of jealousy, and most thrive when they bring pain and suffering to others.
I don't blame them though, it's a function of the economic environment we found ourselves in. Its very harsh unforgiving and highly toxic and that's why most people act in the harshest of all manners.
Also these Bosses are naturally inadequate so in other to hide this inadequacy they have to make others feel terrible so they can feed on their pain and misery cos they themselves have no joy in them.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by jaxxy(m): 11:11pm On Nov 28, 2018
kimbraa:
I find this mostly in Nigerian bosses. Could it be that it's because this country is lawless? That someone is working for you doesn't make them your slave.

I'm on a two months break from school, I told myself that I was going to improve on what I knew how to do best, and that's braiding. Of which, I've never paid money to learn. I got a nice place, so to say, not far from where I live, today made me a month in the job and I'm planning on resigning first thing tomorrow morning. It's not that I haven't worked before, but this is the worse of the people I've worked with. She's a classical case of 'Being educated, but acting crude'. She's very unreasonable, abuses her staff mostly when there are customers and I don't know if it's the boss factor that enters her head.

Resumption time is 7:30 of which you must not be late, else, she'd call and abuse you no matter the reason while you can close at any time from 7pm if there are no customers. As you get into the saloon from that 7:30, you're to start working 'till 7pm and at most 10pm for peanuts as salary; Isn't that over working your employees?

What prompted this thread isn't my boss, but another guy who came to the saloon where I work to report his boss to my boss. His own boss compares him to her 15years old son when he makes mistakes and on the process of correcting him, my co-workers told him to endure her bullshiit.

Why are we Nigerians thought to endure in toxic environments? Seems some people have been so used to verbal and emotional abuse from parents to siblings to friends to bosses that we now assume it's normal. If you can't endure abuse, then you can't be a great person. I don't buy such philosophy. If your work environment is toxic, then change it. Nobody holds the key to your destiny, but you, and there's no way one's destiny would be tied to a toxic boss.

So, here is my question; is it right to work with a boss that abuses you? Some would say; work with them if you know why you're there. Do they have monopoly in what took you there?

It is simply because of lack of professionalism. They don’t understand the etiquette of their jobs. I cud call them unprofessional professionals or like I called one of my boss then abgero professional cos he talks like a complete tout smtmes even whilst in a corporate office.

Even in a non professional jobs there are etiquette or atleast dignity of labor. I must also say our culture doesn’t help matters.

However when Ure learning smtn important and of value u need to endure sm bull$hit and suck it up. Keep ur eyes on the ball and acquire what need and move on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Brightgem(f): 11:37pm On Nov 28, 2018
It's sad! I have personally walked out on plenty jobs, abuse I will never take, once a place is toxic and I feel like not showing up at work then it's time to leave. Many bosses will go to hell because they are oppressors. But then, sadly not every body has that choice, or that will, some just have to endure and some don't have strong thoughts that direct their lives. Hence they stay in a bad situation.

A boss should be kind and considerate. The employee is equally rendering a service to you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by TGMISKY(m): 11:45pm On Nov 28, 2018
The reason why some bosses tend to be abusive could be directed toward the fact that they rely too much on McGregor's theory X. They believe that people don't like to work and need to be coerced.
Another reason could also be their home training. People who grew up in abusive homes could have this trait.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by daveP(m): 11:48pm On Nov 28, 2018
NaijaMutant:
Female bosses are worst

If you have ever worked with Audacious, you will know what's up.

They even invent insults that are unheard of to intimidate you emotionally.

If your confidence level was 85% before employment, it will surely drop to 5% when you quit or they fire you undecided
Totally right.

But then again, I discovered that if their pastor or Imam touches the issue of treating employees right, almost 9/10 succumb Instanta. Which means that these peeps need a higher authority to rest their factory setting. So these guys need to emphasize it weekly so it would reduce.

It's these same madams that would enter church and give testimony that get some kine k-leg, and somehow, only the smart can code that these are Wickid, mean bosses to their employees.

I guess it's in the genes of most females.

That's how they do house helps too. They do it to their own dead blood sister/brother's kid(hot iron, chaining, etc), so why won't they attempt being mean on someone that isn't blood? It's a pitiable situo.

I discovered this bad treatment is prevalent in the salon business managed by females.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by daveP(m): 11:58pm On Nov 28, 2018
ikezuora4689:
It is true that na condition make crayfish bend, but dyu know that taking these bullsht in the name of learning, plays a very strong psychological role on such a person when he or she becomes boss? He or she will be like, this is how I was trained, and so the cycle goes on. It's exactly the same in the education sector as well. Our lecturers would lecture us on how tough they were etc and on and on and on...

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by jclassiq(m): 1:05am On Nov 29, 2018
listen dear, the greatest favour you can do yourself is to get out of that place as soon as you collect your salary. I know some ppl will try to encourage you to endure it.. it won't last forever..bla bla ba, but let me tell you.. these things have a way of affecting your psyche in the long run. so my dear do yourself a favour and leave. if you were able to find this one, you will find another one.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by InvertedHammer: 3:44am On Nov 29, 2018
/
Many employees in Nigeria are not worth the salaries they are paid. They are only interested in the salary without significant output to justify their pay rate.

The solution is simple. Start a business, hire some employees and your opinions about employers will change overnight. Work ethics seem non-existent in Nigeria. Just hire to fire.

/

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by moderatorr1: 4:43am On Nov 29, 2018
I run a business and you cannot come late for any reason whatsoever. And hour-by-hour you must do the task expected of you.
I used to be soft until I realised I was losing a lot of money because employees were taking their job for granted.
But by the end of the month, all of them will be on your neck for salary.
So I switched to para mode. It works. But I don't insult people. I just para upandan. It works, productivity shoots up. People sit up and you don't need to para again since they now know that every eff up will be treated.

If someone breaks a certain rule 3 times, I fire them.
Firing someone is the hardest part of the job for several reasons:
1. You have become friends with the person since they come to office everyday and you meet them.
2. You dont know what the person will be in future.
3. You dont want the person to endup jobless and start suffering outside, the salary you pay them might be their life line.

Yet, you still have to fire them so that they dont collapse your business for you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by dingbang(m): 5:00am On Nov 29, 2018
kimbraa:
I'm not that kind of person.
undecided say what? I almost wanted to play your e-tape but if not for one act of yours that changed my mind.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by maisauki: 5:29am On Nov 29, 2018
Its because dey want God to change d table
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by lonelydora: 5:52am On Nov 29, 2018
kimbraa:
I find this mostly in Nigerian bosses. Could it be that it's because this country is lawless? That someone is working for you doesn't make them your slave.

I'm on a two months break from school, I told myself that I was going to improve on what I knew how to do best, and that's braiding. Of which, I've never paid money to learn. I got a nice place, so to say, not far from where I live, today made me a month in the job and I'm planning on resigning first thing tomorrow morning. It's not that I haven't worked before, but this is the worse of the people I've worked with. She's a classical case of 'Being educated, but acting crude'. She's very unreasonable, abuses her staff mostly when there are customers and I don't know if it's the boss factor that enters her head.

Resumption time is 7:30 of which you must not be late, else, she'd call and abuse you no matter the reason while you can close at any time from 7pm if there are no customers. As you get into the saloon from that 7:30, you're to start working 'till 7pm and at most 10pm for peanuts as salary; Isn't that over working your employees?

What prompted this thread isn't my boss, but another guy who came to the saloon where I work to report his boss to my boss. His own boss compares him to her 15years old son when he makes mistakes and on the process of correcting him, my co-workers told him to endure her bullshiit.

Why are we Nigerians thought to endure in toxic environments? Seems some people have been so used to verbal and emotional abuse from parents to siblings to friends to bosses that we now assume it's normal. If you can't endure abuse, then you can't be a great person. I don't buy such philosophy. If your work environment is toxic, then change it. Nobody holds the key to your destiny, but you, and there's no way one's destiny would be tied to a toxic boss.

So, here is my question; is it right to work with a boss that abuses you? Some would say; work with them if you know why you're there. Do they have monopoly in what took you there?

This is exactly i why i resigned from my good paying job for more than a year now. I am happy i did.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by seasy: 5:55am On Nov 29, 2018
Ugosample:
It's a sad thing.....

The root of this is inferiroity complex.

Because most of them feel worthless and empty, they bully, harass and intimidate those that they think they are higher than, to feel good about themselves

This is true
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by lonelydora: 5:58am On Nov 29, 2018
handsomeyinka:
Buhari caused it, economy no smile how your boss wan smile.....
Just thank God your boss has no MOUTH ODOUR..

My own boss mouth smell pass rotten egg but i cant tell him.The day I bought him tooth paste as a gift was not a day to reckon with...

Since then, I was relegated to the bench..The rest na story!!

Omo, your balls are big. grin
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by handsomeyinka(m): 6:03am On Nov 29, 2018
lonelydora:

Omo, your balls are big. grin
Lol...i sight you....
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 29, 2018
dingbang:
undecided say what? I almost wanted to play your e-tape but if not for one act of yours that changed my mind.
You were going to play my e-tape; let me guess, like fighting with people on NL? You of all people should know that if you must have an opinion on the internet, you should also be ready to abuse anyone who dares abuse you. I treat people how they treat me, online and offline. It will surprise you to know that I have never fought in my entire life.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by dingbang(m): 6:22am On Nov 29, 2018
kimbraa:
You were going to play my e-tape; let me guess, like fighting with people on the NL? You of all people should know that if you must have an opinion on the internet, you should also be ready to abuse anyone who dares abuse you. I treat people how they treat me, online and offline. It will surprise you to know that I have never fought in my entire life.
lipsrsealed no comments. Like I said, I changed my mind just because of one singular act of yours. I will call your attention to that when i'm less busy in the day so you will be aware.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by ikezuora4689(m): 6:39am On Nov 29, 2018
daveP:
It is true that na condition make crayfish bend, but dyu know that taking these bullsht in the name of learning, plays a very strong psychological role on such a person when he or she becomes boss? He or she will be like, this is how I was trained, and so the cycle goes on. It's exactly the same in the education sector as well. Our lecturers would lecture us on how tough they were etc and on and on and on...
I don't treat my workers bad....I think it's jst wickedness.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 29, 2018
dingbang:
lipsrsealed no comments. Like I said, I changed my mind just because of one singular act of yours. I will call your attention to that when i'm less busy in the day so you will be aware.
You can call my attention to that, but there was really no point with the threats. Have a nice day.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by don4real18(m): 6:59am On Nov 29, 2018
Well, it should be of note that it doesn't just happen in Nig... Go to USA and see what's happening there.
Sometimes, the fault lies with the employees. They don't understand how to build a relationship with their boss but have over a thousand friends on Facebook. I have worked for several companies while I was still an employee and believe me when I say that my bosses respect me because I built a good relationship with them
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Kendrick80(m): 7:20am On Nov 29, 2018
kimbraa:
One can be motivated in a positive way. Why motivate people through abuse?
I guess the idea is to not make employees too comfortable which can lead to poor performance...sumfin like "make I do my work sharp sharp b4 oga go vex".
Another reason is fear.when employees fear their boss the respect increases undecided.
Imo I still condemn ds kinda work tactics because I feel its insensitive. wink
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 29, 2018
Kendrick80:

I guess the idea is to not make employees too comfortable which can lead to poor performance...sumfin like "make I do my work sharp sharp b4 oga go vex".
Another reason is fear.when employees fear their boss the respect increases undecided.
Imo I still condemn ds kinda work tactics because I feel its insensitive. wink
Employees need to be comfortable in their place of work, and they don't have to fear the employers. There's difference between fear and respect. When you fear someone, the person becomes unapproachable which isn't supposed to be in work place.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by lorhema(f): 7:40am On Nov 29, 2018
kimbraa:
I'll always blame them. If they were in saner climes, they'd have been arrested. Do you know what's like to be abused verbally consistently? It's worse than physical abuse. Like someone said up there, our judicial system is bad.

Em. My friend is almost 60, married, and is a grandad. He is the managing partner of a successful law firm but earns a meagre salary.

When his aged boss shows up from time to time, he is shouted at, reminded that he is an employee and told he knows nothing.

He takes it because he has no better option. Would he advise a client in a similar situation to sue his employer? I don't think so.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Segeshow: 7:58am On Nov 29, 2018
If this was a society where the right to bear arms was permitted, people would think twice before humiliating employees and junior co- workers. Frustration and discontent will push people who are fed up to bring a handgun to work and shoot people before turning the gun on themselves, watch crime and investigation channel and you will see so many instances. It's that culture of impunity and belief that nothing can happen no matter how badly one behaves which permeates the entire citizenry that is the major issue. If soldiers complaint they are ill-equipped, they are court-martialled and tried for cowardice. Why can't they catch some generals who they know are diverting funds for their hardware and make examples of them? People will think twice before embezzling and putting others at risk. Impunity and complete lack of redress is the problem.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by oasis10: 8:30am On Nov 29, 2018
Sorry my dear, i hate working for women, though am a woman, i rejected a job offer because is a woman, believe me i can't stand a female boss, my present boss is a male, men are very understanding, though some can be unreasonable but is still better than women been unreasonable, the place i work now is like heaven, that will be my last before i stand on my own, My boss knows what it means to be a boss, when is 5.00pm he will instruct everyone to leave the office, if you stay back he will tell you is eye service, you had the whole to work so why doing it by that time, infact my work place is good i won't lie.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Kwenty: 8:30am On Nov 29, 2018
wunmi590:
My sister, that's the situation we found ourselves now.

I am resently in a similar situation, where both the MD (the mother) and the operations/Hr manager (which is the daughter) are very rude, abusive, they believe the little change they are paying you, they can lord over and use and also talk to you any how.

I created a thread about similar things, though from the advice I got from some people here, I had to withdraw my resignation letter.

But yesterday was the hight of it, I was called a basterd, told that they have been told that all island boys are always Agbero, that I am an agbero boy. (that was the statement from a suppose HR manager).

If not that I have not been paid this month salary, I would just carry my bag and leave immediately, but, that company is a place where once you leave or resign, without your salary, you will not be paid.

This December is my last month there by the special grace of God.

You can go through my thread and see.
Chai! person don suffer for this country. So many bosses are like that; some even slap or beat up their employees. Well, will you blame them when there is no employee protection in Nigeria. God dey.
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Daeylar(f): 8:50am On Nov 29, 2018
Ugosample:
It's a sad thing.....

The root of this is inferiroity complex.

Because most of them feel worthless and empty, they bully, harass and intimidate those that they think they are higher than, to feel good about themselves

Very very true
Re: Why Are Some Bosses Abusive To Their Employees? by Kwenty: 8:55am On Nov 29, 2018
InvertedHammer:
/
Many employees in Nigeria are not worth the salaries they are paid. They are only interested in the salary without significant output to justify their pay rate.

The solution is simple. Start a business, hire some employees and your opinions about employers will change overnight. Work ethics seem non-existent in Nigeria. Just hire to fire.

/
You set a standard for your business and communicate your objectives, policies and sanctions to your staff and implement it when necessary.
It is different from unprofessional attitudes of physically abusing or insulting your staff or wicked and malicious act of withholding their salaries for no good reason.
You are the one to maintain work ethics in your business by constantly training and reminding your staff of your core values. You are free to sack who refuses to conform and not being unecessary insultive and abusive.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UAC Of Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment / Tips: How To Say Sorry When Running Late For An Interview / Indorama Eleme Petrochemical Job Offer: Scam Or Real???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.