Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

What Is The Value Of Different Sins? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Value Of Different Sins? (1430 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / Atheists, What Is The VALUE Of Human Life? / Did Christ Actually Take Away The Sins Of The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by AbbeyMarie(f): 10:53pm On Jan 08, 2006
OK, so because of reading a different thread, i was reminded of something that I've been thinking about recently. I notice, that we, as people, put different values on sin. Like, for instance, coveting is better than lying, which is better than hating, which is better than lusting, which is better than committing adultery (even though they are the same sin) which is better than stealing, which is better than committing murder... etc...

People get put in jail, and even are given the death penalty when they murder someone... but you don't even always get in trouble when you lie.

The bible tells us that all sins are equal, that coveting and lying are just as horrible as stealing and committing murder. or if you look at it the other way, committing murder and stealing are just as OK, as coveting and lying.

But in culture, whether it be the worlds, or your specific contries, we put values on the sins. get in more trouble when we do one thing opposed to the other.

So where does this leave us?

We can't use Gods laws as human laws because then everyone would be in jail.

but we can't have murderers and rapists on the loose.

and if you ever go into politics, you have to put your own personal value on each sin, to know where you stand, so you can make decisions.

For instance, (i live in America), in America right now, we are having this whole issue on whether homo-sexuals should be allowed to marry. God says we should treat everyone equally. God also says that marriage is for a man and woman. It is a sin to be homo-sexual, but it's also a sin to lie. We don't permit those who lie from certain privileges. So what right do we have to permit homo-sexuals from a privilege such as marriage?

So, how do we decided, what sin is best. what our values should be, where we stand on political issues?
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by hotangel2(f): 12:00am On Jan 09, 2006
Every sin is equal, be it lying, stealing, killing and even adultery.

It's just that the society is trying to put a whole new meaning to what sin really is. According to the BIBLE, every sin is equal. And that's what i go by. But if the society goes by what the Bible says, then it won't do justice to those that don't believe in the Bible. I think that's why the government has put a whole new meaning to sins. That is... categorizing sins in form of BIG and small.

Murder is a big sin, while lying is just a minor sin. <--- that's what the society thinks.
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by AbbeyMarie(f): 2:21am On Jan 09, 2006
So how do we put values on them? Even though we know they are all equal.... we need to know how to choose which is least horrible... for desisions in everyday life.
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by wendytilda(f): 11:05am On Jan 09, 2006
Sin is Sin.Every sin has the same value and all sins are equal.
I don't even think lying is a small sin,i think it is even the worst because just a lil lie can lead to killing,adultery and all kinds of sin.
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by AbbeyMarie(f): 11:09pm On Jan 09, 2006
wendytilda:

I don't even think lying is a small sin,i think it is even the worst because just a lil lie can lead to killing,adultery and all kinds of sin.

I AGREE! But then how do make political desions? Do we put liars in jail? I know we SHOULD, but how do act in these desions....?
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by Seun(m): 8:59pm On Jan 10, 2006
AbbeyMarie:
But then how do make political desions? Do we put liars in jail?

Thanks to the principle of separation of church and state you Christian fundamentalists don't need to worry about political decisions at all!

See also: Fornication or Homosexuality: which is a greater sin?
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by RhodaRose(f): 11:36pm On Jan 10, 2006
Let's hear what Yahshua says about sin:

Joh 16:9
Of sin, because they believe not on me

Pretty simple if you believe it. Sin is NOT believing in Him and obeying what He says.

The rest that the flesh calls "sin" is just the symptoms of not believing in Yahshua and what He says from His Father, God.

Yes, "symptoms" come in different degrees but remember they are NOT sins but symptoms!!
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by RhodaRose(f): 12:46am On Jan 11, 2006
Servant: One who serves another in learning

John 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

Disciple:
Learner

John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another

John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

Friend: Can know all things

John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you

John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin

John 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour

John 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever

1 John 3:1-3 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the Sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the Sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

John 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because they say, "I am the Son of God" ?

John 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

HallaluYAH
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by JohnFOM(m): 9:53am On Jul 11, 2007
Good question AbbeyMarie.

All sinsare equal, and they are not equal.

As evidenced by wendytilda's post.
wendytilda:

I don't even think lying is a small sin,i think it is even the worst because just a little lie can lead to killing,adultery and all kinds of sin.

If all sins are in every way equal, how can lying be the worst?

I resolved a while ago that there seem to be different criteria for sin, and different purposes for those criteria. Let me explain (it should also explain that enigmatic statement that all sins are equal and not equal):

For the purposes of relationship with God, all sins are equal. The criteria is 'does it cause separation from God'? In this way, all sins are equal because all sins separate the individual (and at times the community) from God.

For the purposes of the protection of the community, not all sins are equal. The criteria is 'what is the effect on the community'? In this, not all sins are equal. While all sins separate man from God, some sins also effect the relationships of man toward man. Murder separates an individual from his/her loved ones, takes productive members of society away, may leave children fatherless, etc, permanently. It is a big sin in this criteria, big retribution is required. Bodily harm takes a person away from society due to convalescence, there is a time/resources drain to look after them, but it is not permanent, lesser retribution needed. Lying has many degrees of effect, but lets use a big lie first and a small one second.

Fraud (big lie) undermines public trust, might deprive people of their resources for life (eg savings, etc) temporarily (the savings can be rebuilt), hence it has a lesser retribution needed than murder, but greater than for say a lie when you are organizing a surprise party (small lie). The small lie may produce beneficial effects on a small part of the community, and doesn't effect the larger community as all.

So it is context, and the effects on that context that changes the value, IMO
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by ricadelide(m): 12:38pm On Jul 11, 2007
@JohnFOM,
thanks for your insight. really nice post. cheers.
Re: What Is The Value Of Different Sins? by pilgrim1(f): 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2007
@JohnFOM,

In other words, not all sins are equal - but sins have different effects. wink

(1) (Reply)

Which Bible Version Do You Prefer To Use And Why? / Why I Will Never Leave Catholic Church? / What Ese Walters really wants from Pastor Biodun of COZA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.