Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,736 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Insight Into True Federalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Insight Into True Federalism (379 Views)

'some States'll Die If We Embrace True Federalism' / True Federalism Is A Must Now —muhammadu Buhari / Insight Into Buhari’s Twin Dinner With Lawmakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Insight Into True Federalism by emmie14: 5:26am On Nov 30, 2018
A police officer serving in Ojota area of Lagos does not necessarily have to receive the same salary with an officer serving at Okene.

The commissioner of police in Lagos state does not necessarily have to be appointed by the IG. Lagos state government should have that prerogative.

Recruitment of junior cadets into the police should not be done at the national levels. State governments should recruit based on their local needs.

The DPO who manages the local police station in my village should not be a stranger to the community.

The federal government responsibility is to regulate the police and not control nor manage it.

Poor salary is not the reason Police officers extort Nigerians on the road, they extort because they are disconnected from the locals and the locals have no control over them. Local control is key. You cannot fire who you did not employ.

Increasing police salary is good but it does not not solve the problem.

The only reason why President Buhari and his party has refused to decentralize the police in Nigeria is because the Police is one major way himself and his feudal likes empowers his people. Majority of those recruited in the north end up working in the South while earning uniform federal salary. The Nigerian police is a settlement system.

In the ongoing Police recruitment which was made open today, Katsina will get more slots than Lagos not because Katsina is more insecure than Lagos or needs more officers than Lagos but because the selection will be done based on local government areas. At the end, most of the recruits from Katsina will end up working in Lagos.

Why can't Lagos state government be allowed to recruit Lagos residents to police Lagos people under a so called federal system?

These are some of the changes restructuring will bring.

Everything I have said above was proposed in the 2015 APC Manifesto. Even Buhari's vice, Yemi Osinbajo believes in everything I have said above. So I have not said anything new.

The only reason why we will continue to have an inefficient centralized police is because it serves a feudalist purpose.

Security is a local issue. Recruitment should be local. Funding should be local. Management should be local. Regulations can be federal.

#RestructureNigeria
#TrueFederalism

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insight Into True Federalism by orisa37: 5:46am On Nov 30, 2018
Good.
Same for Resource Control.
Same for Electioneering Control of the Locals for the Locals.
F.G should be content collecting 10% of each State's Resources every month to run Foreign Affairs and Military only for The Federation.
Re: Insight Into True Federalism by lordkush: 6:54am On Nov 30, 2018
I'm all for restructuring.

but state police own dey tire me.

I can't imagine Nigerians handling police over to idiots like yaya bello. Or okorocha. Or wike. people go just dir for nothing.

regardless I want the police to be decentralised. maybe geopolitical

since myndd will be busy with Apc politics. let me call lalasticlala. so we get better coverage.

(1) (Reply)

How PDP Members In Southern Kaduna Burns PDP And Decamps To APC / I Hate The Name Nigeria/nigerians / BREAKING: Buhari's Home Rep Dumps APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.